Let's make everything about RACE (Unapologetically Black Thread)

I suspect you're "satisfied" with exiting the debate because you've reached the outermost limits of your ability to continue to participate without presenting something other than a loose assembly of lazy stereotypes.

In other words, you threw all the stones in your pockets and now you're content to run away.

Wrong suspicions. It's because I've come to understand your logic and didn't wish to continue a discussion where we can't agree. Moreover, you pointed yourself that criticizing Afro-Americans is "racist enough". Can't debate with someone who holds such assessments. So that'll be my last post in this thread, I'm tired of people accusing me of racism just because I hurt their feelings. (Also internal racism? As a very conservative Algerian it really made me laugh :lol: )

I quote you:
It is not reasonable to close achievement gaps by demanding that one group must be exemplary while another is permitted to be merely average.

That seems to be the premise of your reasoning. Can't debate on what you infer from this, as I believe it to be completely false. So I'll respond on that matter only.

I'm referring to the need to acknowledge and dismantle structural barriers. If anything, your "bootstrap" mentality represents accommodationism and a demand to work within an unjust system.

I agree with the first statement. Concretely, how does one "dismantle structural barrier"? By working within the unjust system. It's as simple as that. I'm not saying Afro-Americans should just do well in school or whatever, then get your 150K comp and you'll see that America is good for you. I'm saying that they should worker harder, become those who -really- make decisions or have great influence. Does one Black institution have the influence of lobbies such as the pharma, arms, military or AIPAC lobbies?? Cause you know, the people who hold the US and work against you have that sort of influence.

You realize, too, that you're now simultaneously arguing that Algeria took the correct path, and yet failed to "organize" properly by your as yet unspecified standards. You can't have it both ways.

In 1954, 22 men meet and declare the beginning of an "unlimited revolution until total independence" (sic) of Algeria, they'll become local chiefs during the War. Just those words can show the strength of their will, even if the odds are against them and their cause seems to be doomed. Until 1962, peasants and farmers will take the arms and fight against an organized French Army, and win the War. This was the correct path, taking what was ours and fighting for it at all costs.

Now almost 60 years after, 98% of our exportations is CRUDE oil, processed by the French/Russians/Chinese, we import our food, our cars, our drugs. All of this while the puppets in place hide in Paris or Zurich, giving just enough money to the population to not rebel against them. What the f*ck my countrymen are doing? What are the people doing? Sleeping, for most!! Outside conspiracies -because they exist- against us can't explain it all, the people have to wake up for gods sake!

Our grandparents gifted us independence, and to thank them, we sell oil and sleep. So I'm not having it both ways, it's my country that had it both ways.

Let me add on something. I'm living in Canada, almost all -if not all- Algerian/Moroccan/Tunisian immigration is legal and I'd say from personal experience that 60% are educated and hold advanced degrees in hard science. Compared to the US and France, almost no systemic racism, the police here are kind and respectful, education is free and it's easy to find public schools of quality from primary to university.

Yet:
-80% of my north african friends and acquaintances didn't make it to university.
-50% have been -rightfully- arrested by the police for other than speeding or such, obviously
-between 20% and 40% have a criminal record
-10% have been in prison for 1 month+

Now if that's not sleeping...Now imagine in France where the system is already unjust and you begin the race beyond the starting line? I'll let you make the parallel with Afro-Americans if you want, I won't do it myself because it seems that observations are offensive and racist.

My point is that it's blatantly unjust to demand that every Black person be Barack Obama when White people can get away with being Donald Trump. It's all fine and well to encourage each individual to be the best they can be, but if we don't address systemic injustice then all you're really doing in the long run is placing the burden on Black people to compensate for and perpetuate a system that rewards White mediocrity.

Obama did nothing for the Afro-Americans. I may be wrong, but still, when I observe Afro-Americans pre-Obama and post-Obama I can't witness any changes for the community.

You don't need every Afro-American to be Obama, you just need enough Obamas to have a control on the laws. I'll make this point also: Whites can get away being Donalds because the system is in their favor. It isn't the case for the Afro-Americans.

About the statement in bold: the best each individual can do is not enough if it doesn't change the situation of their community. It's sad, harsh but truthful. Great success requires great sacrifice.

I'll finish on the fact that my greatest wish for Afro-Americans is that they take control of the US, which has taken so much from them until now. Seeing Afro-Americans thriving as a community in the US would inspire many others to do the same in the world. But I'm sure you'll find a way to interpret even this as a racist comment. Peace be upon you.

That willful ignorance is amazing. Incredible how much of a narcissist one can become from those damned bootstraps.

I'm living in Canada, almost all -if not all- Algerian/Moroccan/Tunisian immigration is legal and I'd say from personal experience that 60% are educated and hold advanced degrees in hard science. Compared to the US and France, almost no systemic racism, the police here are kind and respectful, education is free and it's easy to find public schools of quality from primary to university.

Yet:
-80% of my north african friends and acquaintances didn't make it to university.
-50% have been -rightfully- arrested by the police for other than speeding or such, obviously
-between 20% and 40% have a criminal record
-10% have been in prison for 1 month+
Called it:
As far as I can tell, your belief leans entirely on an empty, self-serving bootstrap mythos, with no evidence of its disproportionate presence or absence among any group, save for useless anecdotes.

Your posts bring to mind an embarrassing childhood memory recollected by Ibram X. Kendi in the opening of How to be an Antiracist:
I REMEMBER THE MLK competition so fondly. But when I recall the racist speech I gave, I flush with shame. “What would be Dr. King’s message for the millennium? Let’s visualize an angry seventy-one-year-old Dr. King…” And I began my remix of King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. It was joyous, I started, our emancipation from enslavement. But “now, one hundred thirty-five years later, the Negro is still not free.” I was already thundering, my tone angry, more Malcolm than Martin. “Our youth’s minds are still in captivity!” I did not say our youth’s minds are in captivity of racist ideas, as I would say now.

“They think it’s okay not to think!” I charged, raising the classic racist idea that Black youth don’t value education as much as their non-Black counterparts. No one seemed to care that this well-traveled idea had flown on anecdotes but had never been grounded in proof. Still, the crowd encouraged me with their applause. I kept shooting out unproven and disproven racist ideas about all the things wrong with Black youth—ironically, on the day when all the things right about Black youth were on display. I started pacing wildly back and forth on the runway for the pulpit, gaining momentum. “They think it’s okay to climb the high tree of pregnancy!” Applause. “They think it’s okay to confine their dreams to sports and music!” Applause. Had I forgotten that I—not “Black youth”—was the one who had confined his dreams to sports? And I was calling Black youth “they”? Who on earth did I think I was? Apparently, my placement on that illustrious stage had lifted me out of the realm of ordinary—and thus inferior—Black youngsters and into the realm of the rare and extraordinary. In my applause-stoked flights of oratory, I didn’t realize that to say something is wrong about a racial group is to say something is inferior about that racial group. I did not realize that to say something is inferior about a racial group is to say a racist idea. I thought I was serving my people, when in fact I was serving up racist ideas about my people to my people. The Black judge seemed to be eating it up and clapping me on my back for more. I kept giving more. “Their minds are being held captive, and our adults’ minds are right there beside them,” I said, motioning to the floor. “Because they somehow think that the cultural revolution that began on the day of my dream’s birth is over. “How can it be over when many times we are unsuccessful because we lack intestinal fortitude?” Applause. “How can it be over when our kids leave their houses not knowing how to make themselves, only knowing how to not make themselves?” Applause. “How can it be over if all of this is happening in our community?” I asked, lowering my voice. “So I say to you, my friends, that even though this cultural revolution may never be over, I still have a dream…”

— I STILL HAVE a nightmare—the memory of this speech whenever I muster the courage to recall it anew. It is hard for me to believe I finished high school in the year 2000 touting so many racist ideas. A racist culture had handed me the ammunition to shoot Black people, to shoot myself, and I took and used it. Internalized racism is the real Black on Black crime. I was a dupe, a chump who saw the ongoing struggles of Black people on MLK Day 2000 and decided that Black people themselves were the problem. This is the consistent function of racist ideas—and of any kind of bigotry more broadly: to manipulate us into seeing people as the problem, instead of the policies that ensnare them.

I received close to a dozen user reports last night about your recent comments, and their similarity to those made be overt racists like Donald Trump. You've done precious little to differentiate your statements from those of racists, who believe that Black people are biologically and/or culturally inferior, and thus incapable of self-governance.

Perhaps the only consistent feature of your incoherent argument is your general disdain for Black people, including your own peers. The rest is vague to the point of meaninglessness or outright contradictory.

For example:
Concretely, how does one "dismantle structural barrier"? By working within the unjust system. It's as simple as that.
And what's your example of "working within the unjust system?"

In 1954, 22 men meet and declare the beginning of an "unlimited revolution until total independence" (sic) of Algeria, they'll become local chiefs during the War. Just those words can show the strength of their will, even if the odds are against them and their cause seems to be doomed. Until 1962, peasants and farmers will take the arms and fight against an organized French Army, and win the War. This was the correct path, taking what was ours and fighting for it at all costs.
Armed revolution.

That's working within the system?

Even if this is your prescription, how have Black Americans failed when Black soldiers played a pivotal role in the American Civil War? In a letter to James Conkling, Abraham Lincoln wrote that "some of the commanders of our armies in the field who have given us our most important successes, believe the emancipation policy, and the use of colored troops, constitute the heaviest blow yet dealt to the rebellion; and that, at least one of those important successes, could not have been achieved when it was, but for the aid of black soldiers."

Obama did nothing for the Afro-Americans.
And what, exactly, did you do for Algeria by moving to Canada? Is it fair to blame you or your family for that country's struggles? You've been all too eager to do precisely that to Black Americans.

I may be wrong, but still, when I observe Afro-Americans pre-Obama and post-Obama I can't witness any changes for the community.
And how, exactly, are you observing Black Americans? On YouTube? Through a powerful telescope?

You don't need every Afro-American to be Obama, you just need enough Obamas to have a control on the laws. I'll make this point also: Whites can get away being Donalds because the system is in their favor. It isn't the case for the Afro-Americans.

About the statement in bold: the best each individual can do is not enough if it doesn't change the situation of their community. It's sad, harsh but truthful. Great success requires great sacrifice.
According to the US Census Bureau, Black Americans comprise roughly 13.4% of the population. And it's your belief that Black Americans' failure to control all three branches of government stems from indolence?

Meanwhile, you're sitting in a Tim Horton's "whining" about how Black people in the United States need to make greater sacrifices. Ridiculous.

May peace be upon you as well.

128530735_10222969356316306_1138098920402465892_n.jpg

Well if you say so, I want to believe you. But still I see that my people in France and your people in the US are still treated as second-class citizens...how can I witness what you're talking about? I'm sure there are local organizations. We also have them. I'm having a global vision here.

One example I can give you is NSBE, which has gotten networking opportunities to many people who were first in their families to go to college for engineering (and who wouldn't have had access to those networks due to where/how they grew up). There are similar organizations dedicated to advancing Black issues and Black professional presence in many fields and they do good work.

How you're treated is not a function of how much you work; it's a function of how well society perceives you, and it's something that is out of your control as an individual. As an Algerian,

100% agree with this. But should this push to work even harder or to whine louder? To organize ourselves or to be content with what we have?
If you agree that external factors can influence the success of a community, why do you still focus on the hard work of the members of that community (work that they are already putting in, as you admit) instead of looking at what those external factors are and how to reduce them?

For an American example of what I'm trying to convey, look at the Tulsa massacre. A community of well-to-do Black Americans (it was the richest Black enclave of the US at the time) didn't survive an assault on their community by the neighboring white community because they could not enjoy the power of Oklahoma's judicial system (from law enforcement to the state courts). After the assault, a lot of those people who lost homes and businesses couldn't get recourse in court because of the racist laws of the time (that was the Jim Crow South then). What part of working harder would have kept their community from being burned down?

Do you ever wonder how the financial fortunes of those Africans who helped rebuild French cities after WWII would have been better if they weren't forced to stay in the banlieues by racist real estate agents even though they could afford to rent and buy homes in Paris, considering that access to real estate is the main driver of wealth for the middle class?

The same "generalizations" I've made about Afro-Americans, I've made them also about my people in my country.
That doesn't make those generalizations true.

Ask yourself this: how come successful individuals, with successful careers and stable households cannot succeed at building successful communities? Does it make sense to you that they would fail at that by themselves?

The Unsolved Mystery of the First People Killed During the Civil Rights Movement
Law enforcement knew who killed Harry and Harriette Moore on Christmas in 1951. So why wasn’t justice served?

It was a double celebration: Christmas, and the Moores’ 25th anniversary. Harry T. and Harriette Moore celebrated the way they had 25 years before, cutting the cake together like newlyweds. They had no idea that the tender moment would be among their last. As they settled in to their bed to sleep that evening in 1951, a massive explosion tore through their bedroom.

Within hours, Harry T. Moore was dead. Within days, his wife was, too. With the death of the Moores, the nascent Civil Rights Movement got its first martyrs.

The Moores had been murdered, victims of an improvised explosive device made with dynamite and shoved beneath their bedroom floor. It seemed like a simple case: Harry T. Moore had been fighting segregation and racism in the Jim Crow South for years, making plenty of enemies along the way.

Hahahaha Hahahaha Not Black friday, but a situation where someone was loaned out to a business due to being Black and a slave...

The birth of Nearest Green circa 1820 is celebrated on this date. He was a Black master distiller.
Nathan "Nearest" Green was a Black slave owned by a business known as Landis & Green, who hired him out to Dan Call for a fee. Dan Call was a preacher, grocer, slave owner and distiller. Sometime in the 1850s, Jack Daniel, a young white-American boy went to work for Dan Call. According to company, the preacher was a busy man, and when he saw potential in young Jack, he had Green teach him how to run his whiskey still. When introducing Green to an 8-year old Jack Daniel, Call is quoted as saying, "Uncle Nearest is the best whiskey maker that I know of." Call reportedly said to Green, "I want [Jack] to become the world's best whiskey distiller if he wants to be. You help me teach him."
As the master distiller, Green taught distilling techniques to Daniel, founder of the Jack Daniel Tennessee whiskey distillery. Green was the first Black master distiller on record in the United States. Green was married to Harriet Green, and they had eleven children together nine sons and two daughters. Four of their sons, Louis, George, Jesse, and Eli, are listed in the 1870 census. Seven of the sons and both daughters are listed in the 1880 federal census. Green was one of a few slaves who worked for Call who stayed on with him after Emancipation. Known also as "Uncle Nearest" he played the fiddle, this was passed down to his son, Jesse Green.
In June 2016, The New York Times published a story identifying Daniel's true teacher as Green, one of Call's slaves. The newspaper said that the Green story has been known to historians and locals for decades, even as the distillery officially ignored it. Green's story built on oral history and the thinnest of archival trails may never be definitively proved. A USA Today article published in July 2017 corrected the spelling of his name (Nearis) and confirmed that Jack Daniel said his correct name was Nathan "Nearest" Green. Green served as master distiller. According to one biographer, “Only a few years older than Jack, [Green] taught him all about the still.”

Slavery officially ended with ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution in 1865. Daniel opened his distillery a year later, immediately employing two of Green's sons, George and Eli Green. In all, at least three of Green's sons were a part of the Jack Daniel Distillery staff: George Green, Edde Green, and Eli Green. At least four of Nearest's grandchildren joined the Jack Daniel team, Ott, Charlie, Otis and Jesse Green. In all, seven straight generations of Nearest Green descendants have worked for Jack Daniel Distillery, with three direct descendants continuing to work there.
Author Fawn Weaver launched the Nearest Green Foundation to commemorate Green. It is responsible for a new museum, memorial park, and book about his life. In addition, the Foundation has established college scholarships for his descendants. July 2017, Uncle Nearest, Inc. created a bottle of whiskey honoring the legacy of Nearest Green and debuted "Uncle Nearest 1856 Premium Whiskey. Uncle Nearest 1856 Premium Whiskey" was created by working with two Tennessee distilleries, but not Jack Daniel's Distillery. In August 2017, the Brown-Forman Corporation, which owns the Jack Daniel's Distillery and brand, officially recognized Green as their first head stiller (now called a master distiller), adding him to their website. In October 2017, they added his legacy to their tours. In September 2017, The Nearest Green Foundation, announced the inaugural class of descendants receiving full scholarships to college and grad school to continue their ancestor's legacy of excellence. The Foundation is funded by the sales of Uncle Nearest Premium Whiskey and the sales of Jack Daniel's official biography, Jack Daniel's Legacy.
Image may contain: 1 person, hat

No. That as a whole the community isn't organized, doesn't see what's best for themselves and AS A WHOLE they don't have the will to elevate themselves. There are brilliant individuals in the community, however the community is far from brilliant. Same for my people.

Thats all well and good but I think what most people who take this view fail to recognize is that such conditions do not exist in a vacuum. Sure, work harder, get organized, unify. Do you realize there are a significant number of people "working" for the opposite ends? People are actively working to keep black americans ignorant, dependent, unorganized and divided? People who are already 10 steps ahead and better equiped as a direct result of oppressing and marginalizing the black community "as a whole" for their own gain? These conditions dont just exist as happenstance, it is by design that things are the way they. All throughout american history folks have gone to great lengths to insure the black community was denied equitable education. Attempts at organizing and unifying have been violently and maliciously crushed. Attempts to gain and spread wealth within the community have been met with greater, more widespread wealth seeking to take it all away. Yet, instead of denouncing these actions, you prefer to chastise the victim.

You see, the implication that often goes unsaid in these arguments, barring the acknowledgment of what I mentioned above, is that the state of the black community is the way it is because its black. Black folks are "lazy" because they're black, the color of their skin lol. Its not external oppressions, its internal ineptitude. Which is the very premise of racist ideology in america. And that is the hill you want to die on. Yet act shocked and appalled that anyone would suggest you are racist. Perhaps you need to rethink the ideas you are putting forth if such accusations are tough for you to swallow. What you are putting forth is extremely offensive and rooted in racism whether you consider yourself to be racist or not.

I think the opposite end of the spectrum which is hoarding money, is equally problematic. It is easy for a wealthy person like Damon Dash to have this mentality. I've never liked the idea of owning wealth just for the sake of it. I cherish spending money on being as comfortable in the present as much as I do saving up for specific goals in the future (eg retirement, kids, etc). But if I amass wealth to the detriment of my present happiness and don't live long enough to see it its returns id be so pissed. That's why I tend not to judge poor people who try to keep up with the Jones.

Grandmaster Jay, Leader Of The ‘NFAC’ Black Militia, Has Been Arrested On A Federal Charge
December 4, 2020 Jason Williams @trudreadzdotcom
Amerikkka will praise armed white militias who target innocent American civilians live on national TV but quickly vilify and arrest a Black man who chooses to stand up and exercise his right to bare arms and defend himself from all enemies, foreign and domestic, by any means necessary.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — The leader of the “Not F***ing Around Coalition” (NFAC), a Black militia that demonstrated in Louisville during last summer’s social unrest, was arrested Thursday on a federal charge.

5fc9419d93344.image_.jpg

John Johnson, 57, commonly referred to as “Grandmaster Jay,” was charged with “assaulting, resisting or impeding certain officers or employees,” according to court documents.

Johnson is accused of pointing a rifle at Louisville Metro Police officers, as well as federal officers, on Sept. 4, the night before the 2020 Kentucky Derby, according to a probable cause affidavit. The alleged incident took place just after 8:30 p.m. as officers were conducting surveillance over demonstrators at Jefferson Square in downtown Louisville.

On this day in 1955, the Montgomery Bus Boycott began.
1607189028790.png

In Montgomery, Alabama, segregation was a part of everyday life. Blacks who lived there faced segregation in places such as parks, schools, restrooms, theaters, and buses. The laws of the country made it hard for Blacks to register and participate in elections. The justice system discriminated against them, unjustly jailing and prosecuting many, while banning them from holding public office. One particular area of bitterness amongst Montgomery Blacks of that era was the segregation law of the bus system. Although Blacks were the majority of, they were forced to adhere to oppressive conditions on buses. The bus drivers, all of whom were white, treated Blacks with racist and abusive attitudes, often calling their passengers derogatory names such as "******,” "Black cow," and "Black ape."
They often required blacks to pay their fares in the front of the bus, and then walk to the back door to board the bus. Sometimes, though, bus drivers would take off before the passenger could get on, leaving their passenger behind. While this practice often angered Blacks, the practices of "White-only" seating angered them even more. The law stated that Blacks could not sit in the front of the bus, regardless of whether the seats were empty or not.
After Rosa Parks was arrested on December 1, 1955, the news of this event spread through the Black community. Community members decided that a boycott of the bus system was long overdue. Jo Ann Robinson of the Women's Political Committee began to organize a one-day protest. When the word spread about the protest, several other Black leaders wanted to convene.
Under the leadership of E.D. Nixon, former chair of the NAACP of Alabama, Martin Luther King Jr., Ralph Abernathy, H.H. Hubbard, and Ms. A.W. West an organized movement got underway. To resourcefully carry out this goal, the Montgomery Improvement Association (MIA) was formed, with King as their leader. The MIA adopted a plan of action for the protest that was officially to begin on December 5. The resolution stated three demands: 1) Blacks would not ride the buses until polite treatment by bus drivers was guaranteed to them. 2) Segregation must be abolished on buses and a first-come first-served policy adapted and 3) Black bus drivers must be employed. Deciding that they could no longer fight the county of Montgomery, Black leaders filed a federal lawsuit against Montgomery's segregation laws, because they were not in accordance with the 14th amendment.
On May 11, 1956, the case was heard before a three-panel federal court. About three weeks later in a two to one decision, the court decided that the segregation laws were indeed unconstitutional. The Montgomery County lawyers immediately appealed the decision in the Supreme Court. While the boycotters were waiting for the Supreme Court to rule, the protest continued.
During that time, incidents continued to try to intimidate the leaders to end the movement. Reverend Robert Graetz, a white minister, who served a predominately Black church, had his house bombed. The mayor denounced the incident as a publicity stunt by Blacks and reiterated that whites did not care if the boycott lasted forever. Harassment by cops increased and insurance policies continued to be canceled. The law was making it almost impossible for the carpool system to take place and eventually the city filed suit against leaders of the movement, citing that the car pool was a "public nuisance" and an illegal "private enterprise." On November 13, 1956, leaders readied to face one of the darkest days of the movement, knowing that without the car-pool system people might be forced to ride the buses.
While in Montgomery waiting for the decision about the carpools, King received a message from the federal court. It simply stated that "the motion to affirm is granted and the judgment is affirmed,” meaning that the Supreme Court supported the decision that segregation on the buses was illegal. The next night the official boycott was called to a conclusion, but it was soon revealed that the order would not reach Montgomery for about a month. Faced with the obstacle of not being able to participate in carpools, a “share a ride” system was worked out and the buses remained empty for another 30 days.
On December 20, 1956, the mandate came to Montgomery. The next day, King, Abernathy, and Nixon were the first to integrate the buses. The boycott was over.

Brothers waiting to provide service for the boycotters...
1607188935227.png

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican , P Present JRepp23 JRepp23

Where were the model minority sitting before we did this?!

I think the opposite end of the spectrum which is hoarding money, is equally problematic. It is easy for a wealthy person like Damon Dash to have this mentality. I've never liked the idea of owning wealth just for the sake of it. I cherish spending money on being as comfortable in the present as much as I do saving up for specific goals in the future (eg retirement, kids, etc). But if I amass wealth to the detriment of my present happiness and don't live long enough to see it its returns id be so pissed. That's why I tend not to judge poor people who try to keep up with the Jones.
The reason I posted that comment from Dame, was a rebuttal toward Mr. Model Minority sitting in Tim Horton's. Was it hard work, or skullduggery?

1607365553801.png

This date in 1955 marks the incident of the "Greensboro Six," a racial episode involving blacks and whites.
It took place at a golf course in Greensboro, N.C. On the morning of December 7, 1955, an early winter day, George C. Simkins, Jr. awaited the arrival of five golf partners, a regular occurrence. When they wanted a change of pace, they would meet and drive to High Point or Charlotte or Durham to play one of the few courses open to people of color. On this day, though, they planned to play Gillespie Park, a city-owned course operated as a private facility by a group of white citizens who leased it for $1. Lease agreements such as this were a common practice among Southern municipalities, which sought to circumvent the Supreme Court ruling that made it unlawful for city-owned golf courses to discriminate against anyone. Play at Gillespie Park was restricted to "members" and their guests.
African-Americans fit neither category, but the six golfers were determined to change that. When they arrived at Gillespie Park, the golf shop attendant greeted them with the warmth of day-old grits saying they could not play, grabbing the registration book to keep them from signing it. One after another, Dr. Simkins, Leon Wolfe, Joseph Sturdivant, Samuel Murray, Elijah Herring, and Phillip Cook defiantly placed their 75-cent green fee on the counter and headed for the first tee. They were on the fifth hole when head pro Ernie Edwards caught up with them. Brandishing a golf club, Edwards cursed at the six, and threatened to have them arrested if they didn't leave. The golfers ignored Edwards' warning, finished nine holes, and departed for home.
Later that evening, a black police officer arrested the six dissidents and took them to the county jail. Their bail was paid, and the fight to desegregate public golf courses in Greensboro followed. The six golfers were eventually found guilty of trespassing and sentenced to 30 days in jail. They lost an appeal in superior court, got an active jail sentence, but continued the fight at the federal court level. There, Judge Johnson J. Hayes ruled in their favor and issued a declaratory judgment. He ordered Gillespie Park opened to everyone within two weeks. But before the order could be enforced, someone slipped into the Gillespie Park clubhouse and burned it to the ground. City officials refused to rebuild the clubhouse, closed the golf course, reopening it to the public seven years later.
The "Greensboro Six" eventually appealed the original decision to the U.S. Supreme Court. They attempted to get Thurgood Marshall, chief counsel for the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, to represent them but he refused to take the case. Marshall felt they should have gotten an injunction to play the course, saying they would lose by one vote and that Justice Tom Clark would be the deciding vote, which was exactly what happened. Governor Luther Hodges commuted their sentences but it was small consolation.

A father-daughter pilot duo recently celebrated the father’s retirement after 44 years of flying the friendly skies.

Fiona Austin-McDonald took to social media to wish her father, Wade Austin-McDonald a happy 65th birthday while simultaneously congratulating him on his retirement after 44 years of being a pilot.

Back
Top Bottom