Living in Cali

Damn, I was at a point to move out to Cali..... SoCal.

Good advises here.... gas,rent,taxes,Jobs SMH!!!!! All I can say is the weather is amazing in the summa!
smile.gif

Damn, I was at a point to move out to Cali..... SoCal.

Good advises here.... gas,rent,taxes,Jobs SMH!!!!! All I can say is the weather is amazing in the summa!
smile.gif

I wouldn't live in any other state.
what for? I live 10 minutes from the beach, 2 hours from the mountains.
I got kids and Disneyland is 40 minutes from my house. Knott's is 30 minutes. Universal is 45 minutes.
I got In-N-Out. That alone should tell you to live here....
People can say their women or better, but they lying.
CA women>everywhere else...

-J-

I wouldn't live in any other state.
what for? I live 10 minutes from the beach, 2 hours from the mountains.
I got kids and Disneyland is 40 minutes from my house. Knott's is 30 minutes. Universal is 45 minutes.
I got In-N-Out. That alone should tell you to live here....
People can say their women or better, but they lying.
CA women>everywhere else...

-J-

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

You can make $30,000 in SF/LA/SD and still be broke. Just keep that in mind. You can't take it from people who sit here on NT and tell you it's great. A majority of them are young, still living at their moms probably paying zero rent/mortgage.

There's barely any jobs out here, the rent is stupid, the gas prices are the highest in this state than any - and nothing is improving.

Stay away from Cali if you don't have a family - or if you're not making $40,000+.
Even 40k isn't doing it for some, BUT if you can manage your money right, it will be a lot easier. 
Or be prepared to live very frugally. Cheap groceries, riding a bicycle, etc.

Exactly. 

You can make $30,000 in SF/LA/SD and still be broke. Just keep that in mind. You can't take it from people who sit here on NT and tell you it's great. A majority of them are young, still living at their moms probably paying zero rent/mortgage.

There's barely any jobs out here, the rent is stupid, the gas prices are the highest in this state than any - and nothing is improving.

Stay away from Cali if you don't have a family - or if you're not making $40,000+.
Even 40k isn't doing it for some, BUT if you can manage your money right, it will be a lot easier. 
Or be prepared to live very frugally. Cheap groceries, riding a bicycle, etc.

Exactly. 

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

http://www.floridastategasprices.com/

http://losangelesgasprices.com/
http://www.sandiegogasprices.com/
http://www.sanfrangasprices.com/

Starting with fuel, you're looking at almost a 50cent difference minimum between here and FL. LA and SD are car-centric, things are spread out. SF luckily has BART that will get you almost anywhere you need and within a short walking distance.

CA isn't as expensive as NYC, but it's a close second IMHO.

and The Bay can be accessed with a bicycle.

Same kinda goes for Socal depending on where you live exactly.

Starting with fuel, you're looking at almost a 50cent difference minimum between here and FL. LA and SD are car-centric, things are spread out. SF luckily has BART that will get you almost anywhere you need and within a short walking distance.

SunDOOBIE wrote:
All this talk about you need a certain income level to live here is a bunch of bull. I mean do you really need new shoes every month? Do you really need an expensive bachelor pad or live comfortably?

Just be frugal and live within your means regardless of what income level you are in. People come here to LA with $20, can't speak English and can still make a living here for themselves and their family. It's all about hard work and learning how to hustle/grind because there are tons of opportunities here in LA.

This isn't the 80's & 90's anymore. The days of people migrating to America and defining the American dream are over.

With inflation increasing at an all-time rate, gas prices soaring, job loses and taxes going up like the blood pressure of an 400-pound man, the dollar doesn't go as far as it once did. Of course there are opportunites in LA. And in SF, SD and pretty much anywhere you go. But the chances of someone like OP moving to Califorina and achieving a longevity of happiness by arriving with $20 in his pockets (hypothetically speaking) are slim to none.

Most will agree, if you don't have family here in California to help direct you or even a lucrative employment opportunity available - you're not going to make it very far. My advice would be is to do pretty much what I did: saved up about $12,000 and moved here with a job available and family - but of course not everyone will be as fortunate as I am. And still even if you're that lucky, success is not guaranteed in an expensive state as California..

SunDOOBIE wrote:
All this talk about you need a certain income level to live here is a bunch of bull. I mean do you really need new shoes every month? Do you really need an expensive bachelor pad or live comfortably?

Just be frugal and live within your means regardless of what income level you are in. People come here to LA with $20, can't speak English and can still make a living here for themselves and their family. It's all about hard work and learning how to hustle/grind because there are tons of opportunities here in LA.

This isn't the 80's & 90's anymore. The days of people migrating to America and defining the American dream are over.

With inflation increasing at an all-time rate, gas prices soaring, job loses and taxes going up like the blood pressure of an 400-pound man, the dollar doesn't go as far as it once did. Of course there are opportunites in LA. And in SF, SD and pretty much anywhere you go. But the chances of someone like OP moving to Califorina and achieving a longevity of happiness by arriving with $20 in his pockets (hypothetically speaking) are slim to none.

Most will agree, if you don't have family here in California to help direct you or even a lucrative employment opportunity available - you're not going to make it very far. My advice would be is to do pretty much what I did: saved up about $12,000 and moved here with a job available and family - but of course not everyone will be as fortunate as I am. And still even if you're that lucky, success is not guaranteed in an expensive state as California..

This.  I make over 50k and its still 
sick.gif
 (I live in SD.)  But then I'm spoiled and I go out a whole lot. Buy all kinds of ^%# 
roll.gif
roll.gif

But you can definitely make in CA with sub 30K income.  You just have to watch how you spend your money, get a room mate or two.  

Another option - join the Navy or the Marines.  The military will give you money for rent or give you a place to stay at.  We have bases all over SoCal.  
nerd.gif

This.  I make over 50k and its still 
sick.gif
 (I live in SD.)  But then I'm spoiled and I go out a whole lot. Buy all kinds of ^%# 
roll.gif
roll.gif

But you can definitely make in CA with sub 30K income.  You just have to watch how you spend your money, get a room mate or two.  

Another option - join the Navy or the Marines.  The military will give you money for rent or give you a place to stay at.  We have bases all over SoCal.  
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by MontellGriffin97

i just moved to cali not to long, and lets just say as a black man being single, i had sex with two Asian girls a bunch of Spanish chicks and one Armenian chick. In 21 years living in the CHI
the closest i ever gotten to this type of a diversity was that one white girl who tries to act like she black.

Californiacation of Life
pimp.gif

LMAO
pimp.gif
fam, go to Glendale next time. it's like 10 miles north of LA county I think, and the Glendale Galleria is filled with Armenian chicks (KIM KARDASHIAN!!), black, white, latinas, asians etc and best of all, 95% arent hoooodrats
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MontellGriffin97

i just moved to cali not to long, and lets just say as a black man being single, i had sex with two Asian girls a bunch of Spanish chicks and one Armenian chick. In 21 years living in the CHI
the closest i ever gotten to this type of a diversity was that one white girl who tries to act like she black.

Californiacation of Life
pimp.gif

LMAO
pimp.gif
fam, go to Glendale next time. it's like 10 miles north of LA county I think, and the Glendale Galleria is filled with Armenian chicks (KIM KARDASHIAN!!), black, white, latinas, asians etc and best of all, 95% arent hoooodrats
laugh.gif

You can live off of 30gs a year. Just cut out the bad habits like spending money on kicks, fast food, Movies stuff like that. Here are some Cons and Pros
THE DONTS (aka the cons)

-Dont Live near or around Hollywood or LA are. Its freaking expensive. The valley has some nice spots for a reasonable price. I pay $1500 (a month)  for a 2br 2 bth condo. And I think its a poop hole. But I feel safe.  

-Dont Try to work for the government. You'll get put on a waiting list and will take at least 5 years to call maybe longer. Besides, they're laying people off so why would want to work for them? 

-Dont Spend your money on a fancy car... You're always stuck in traffic so you wont get to enjoy it.

-Dont Come out here if you want to make it in the music, movie or tv industry. Too much competition out here, its ridiculous. 

THE PROS

The whether 

The girls

The beaches

The food

The club/party scene

If I've left something out then Im sorry. I wrote this with the quickness. 

You can live off of 30gs a year. Just cut out the bad habits like spending money on kicks, fast food, Movies stuff like that. Here are some Cons and Pros
THE DONTS (aka the cons)

-Dont Live near or around Hollywood or LA are. Its freaking expensive. The valley has some nice spots for a reasonable price. I pay $1500 (a month)  for a 2br 2 bth condo. And I think its a poop hole. But I feel safe.  

-Dont Try to work for the government. You'll get put on a waiting list and will take at least 5 years to call maybe longer. Besides, they're laying people off so why would want to work for them? 

-Dont Spend your money on a fancy car... You're always stuck in traffic so you wont get to enjoy it.

-Dont Come out here if you want to make it in the music, movie or tv industry. Too much competition out here, its ridiculous. 

THE PROS

The whether 

The girls

The beaches

The food

The club/party scene

Originally Posted by djaward

THE DONTS (aka the cons)

THE PROS

The whether 

The girls

The beaches

The food

The club/party scene

Scour Craigslist occasionally and you can find gigs being an extra in a movie or video and all of that jazz. Easy way to make a quick buck.

Originally Posted by djaward

THE DONTS (aka the cons)

THE PROS

The whether 

The girls

The beaches

The food

The club/party scene

Scour Craigslist occasionally and you can find gigs being an extra in a movie or video and all of that jazz. Easy way to make a quick buck.

If you take out the public transportation factor, I'd say Socal is more accessible by bike than Norcal. It's flat, far less hills.

If you can swallow your pride, bicycle is the way to go. I gotta whip but I travel to most of my every day destinations by bike. Save a lot on gas, keeps my mileage low too.

If you take out the public transportation factor, I'd say Socal is more accessible by bike than Norcal. It's flat, far less hills.

If you can swallow your pride, bicycle is the way to go. I gotta whip but I travel to most of my every day destinations by bike. Save a lot on gas, keeps my mileage low too.

You can make $30,000 in SF/LA/SD and still be broke.

$30,000 wont get you anything leaving in these cities. Even $40,000 will be rough to get by...

If you don't have a job lined up, then don't come.

You can make $30,000 in SF/LA/SD and still be broke.

$30,000 wont get you anything leaving in these cities. Even $40,000 will be rough to get by...

If you don't have a job lined up, then don't come.

Starting with fuel, you're looking at almost a 50cent difference minimum between here and FL. LA and SD are car-centric, things are spread out. SF luckily has BART that will get you almost anywhere you need and within a short walking distance, but you're STILL going to be driving (obvious)

Currently living in NYC so this sounds good to me 

Back
Top Bottom