Lock please, thanks. Warriors 2011/2012 Thread Up.

laugh.gif

I could go on all day ranting about job interviews and trying to find a job....but I'd rather not.
laugh.gif

Still nothing compared to our offseason/season threads a couple seasons ago when it was basically a General forum.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by acidicality

laugh.gif

I could go on all day ranting about job interviews and trying to find a job....but I'd rather not.
laugh.gif

Still nothing compared to our offseason/season threads a couple seasons ago when it was basically a General forum.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
the best

Originally Posted by acidicality

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
the best

I'm half serious since ive done recruiting and interviews for both firms I've worked at...

Clearly you're resume is good enough to land an interview, but nothing is coming from them.

You should seek feedback from some of your interviewers and work on the things they say. I've had some people with decent resumes but great interviews and vice versa. You need to connect with your interviewers in a way you seemingly haven't.

Do you follow up with a thank you or anything afterwards?

I'm half serious since ive done recruiting and interviews for both firms I've worked at...

Clearly you're resume is good enough to land an interview, but nothing is coming from them.

You should seek feedback from some of your interviewers and work on the things they say. I've had some people with decent resumes but great interviews and vice versa. You need to connect with your interviewers in a way you seemingly haven't.

The first few interviews I had, I definitely didn't do well and I know it, but I feel that was part of the learning process (such as knowing what questions to ask, how to respond to the typical interview questions, etc.) I've interviewed at a few places where I came out of the interview feeling like I did very well and I had a very good chance, but I just haven't been able to get an offer yet...
ohwell.gif

And I always send thank you letters and ask for business cards and all that, reiterating my interest in the job, going over highlights of the interview, etc. etc. I've asked for feedback from a few managers after knowing I didn't get the job, but they never responded to my e-mails.

Since you've done recruiting/interviews...do you have any general interview tips?

The first few interviews I had, I definitely didn't do well and I know it, but I feel that was part of the learning process (such as knowing what questions to ask, how to respond to the typical interview questions, etc.) I've interviewed at a few places where I came out of the interview feeling like I did very well and I had a very good chance, but I just haven't been able to get an offer yet...
ohwell.gif

And I always send thank you letters and ask for business cards and all that, reiterating my interest in the job, going over highlights of the interview, etc. etc. I've asked for feedback from a few managers after knowing I didn't get the job, but they never responded to my e-mails.

Since you've done recruiting/interviews...do you have any general interview tips?

You're looking for jobs in what industry? I can't recall.

I'd say -

1. Be confident. Nonverbal communication is important.
2. Do you engage with questions? Do you had lists of questions to go over?
3. Id at a minimum ask 5 questions related to the industry and 5 related specifically to the company.
4. Overall, be prepared.

You're looking for jobs in what industry? I can't recall.

I'd say -

1. Be confident. Nonverbal communication is important.
2. Do you engage with questions? Do you had lists of questions to go over?
3. Id at a minimum ask 5 questions related to the industry and 5 related specifically to the company.
4. Overall, be prepared.

I'm a mechanical engineer...so it's really broad and I'm not just looking at one industry, it could be medical devices to computers, etc.
Really, any company that designs products and/or does manufacturing is on my radar....so it's a lot to choose from
laugh.gif

I always prepare a list of questions to ask for each interview (about 5 per interviewer)...maybe I'll focus more on coming up with more company-related questions next time.

I'm a mechanical engineer...so it's really broad and I'm not just looking at one industry, it could be medical devices to computers, etc.
Really, any company that designs products and/or does manufacturing is on my radar....so it's a lot to choose from
laugh.gif

I always prepare a list of questions to ask for each interview (about 5 per interviewer)...maybe I'll focus more on coming up with more company-related questions next time.

Ya definitely get relevant company questions.

I'm not joking when I say you should spend a couple hours prepping for each interview. Sorry to say but even if you are looking at multiple industries you still need to learn about each. I'd suggest excel/word to track info so you at least can be efficient going forward.

If you show you don't know crap about the company or their main industry, that's a huge red flag against you.

Ya definitely get relevant company questions.

I'm not joking when I say you should spend a couple hours prepping for each interview. Sorry to say but even if you are looking at multiple industries you still need to learn about each. I'd suggest excel/word to track info so you at least can be efficient going forward.

If you show you don't know crap about the company or their main industry, that's a huge red flag against you.

Oh I thought I was in the warriors thread.

laugh.gif
j/k

Thats some good advice. Should definitely take some time out to prepare for the interviews and it is very important to show that you are confident and enthusiastic about the company that interviewing you. I remember interviewing with Activision down in Santa Monica, I didn't have the best resume. Only average GPA, ordinary extra curriculars nothing too special. But I went to their info session and as soon as it was over I went straight up to the controller and internal auditor and just bombarded them with questions
laugh.gif
I asked them about upcoming projects that I was excited about, their whole situation with infiniti ward and just anything that came to mind. Lets just say I made a good impression and I got an interview with them before I even applied to the job.
laugh.gif

It's easy to find applicant that are qualified and has the right experience or skills. All those can be learned, but enthusiasm isn't something that can be faked. They don't want someone who is just there to earn a pay check and go through the 9-5. The want people who will make a meaningful contribution to the company.

Oh I thought I was in the warriors thread.

laugh.gif
j/k

Thats some good advice. Should definitely take some time out to prepare for the interviews and it is very important to show that you are confident and enthusiastic about the company that interviewing you. I remember interviewing with Activision down in Santa Monica, I didn't have the best resume. Only average GPA, ordinary extra curriculars nothing too special. But I went to their info session and as soon as it was over I went straight up to the controller and internal auditor and just bombarded them with questions
laugh.gif
I asked them about upcoming projects that I was excited about, their whole situation with infiniti ward and just anything that came to mind. Lets just say I made a good impression and I got an interview with them before I even applied to the job.
laugh.gif

It's easy to find applicant that are qualified and has the right experience or skills. All those can be learned, but enthusiasm isn't something that can be faked. They don't want someone who is just there to earn a pay check and go through the 9-5. The want people who will make a meaningful contribution to the company.

speaking of jobs.....

i just landed an accounting and payroll administrator position at a small private company in campbell.
pimp.gif

pay isn't great, but it'll do for now.

just graduated a couple weeks back from UCD and have been applying to a bunch of places. keep searching and applying acid. you'll eventually land one. try craigslist... that's where i found this job.

speaking of jobs.....

i just landed an accounting and payroll administrator position at a small private company in campbell.
pimp.gif

pay isn't great, but it'll do for now.

just graduated a couple weeks back from UCD and have been applying to a bunch of places. keep searching and applying acid. you'll eventually land one. try craigslist... that's where i found this job.

Back
Top Bottom