maryland govenor signs bill that extends in-state tuition breaks to illegal immigrants

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

I thought you needed a valid SSN and all that sort of stuff to get into a school. As a US citizen it was hell to verify who I was. Even for drivers licenses and passports. 
I worked for a property management firm and you would be surprised to know how easy it is to get a SSN assigned to you. The thing is the SSN will usually have restrictions and will require verifications for certain things like employment, but otherwise it can be used for pretty much anything, which includes filing taxes and applying to schools.

So does anyone know if illegal immigrants can apply for FAFSA aid if their parents pay taxes? *general question I really dont know* 

How do you justify allowing an illegal alien getting a tuition break before a US citizen from any other state gets one? Not to mention, you are directly impacting the admittance rates of US citizens by allowing illegal immigrants to attend in the first place. People are acting like the University of Maryland isn't a highly competitive school who turns away thousands of applicants annually.

How do you justify allowing an illegal alien getting a tuition break before a US citizen from any other state gets one? Not to mention, you are directly impacting the admittance rates of US citizens by allowing illegal immigrants to attend in the first place. People are acting like the University of Maryland isn't a highly competitive school who turns away thousands of applicants annually.

Originally Posted by Slicknick951

GetThisMoney wrote:

Our own students deserve priority. The lower in state rates are to allow those who are legal state citizens to furthere their education at a lower cost. Why should we have to compete with outsiders who bring money out of the country and just come here for our schools. College seats are already competitive at record levels.

70% of "our Students" dont even take advantage of the things that are provided for them so why not have someone use them that will put it to good use.

That's a !!++##!$ statistic you just made up.

BOOM LAWYERED

Originally Posted by Slicknick951

GetThisMoney wrote:

Our own students deserve priority. The lower in state rates are to allow those who are legal state citizens to furthere their education at a lower cost. Why should we have to compete with outsiders who bring money out of the country and just come here for our schools. College seats are already competitive at record levels.

70% of "our Students" dont even take advantage of the things that are provided for them so why not have someone use them that will put it to good use.

That's a !!++##!$ statistic you just made up.

BOOM LAWYERED

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

About 40% of phD graduates in the US were not even born in the US so to discriminate on them for being immigrants is idiotic..If these kids getting aid have great grades and a bright future that can benefit society as a whole, you don't support their education?

Learn the difference between immigration and illegal immigration.

I honestly don't even know why we have an immigration policy it's not like people want to enforce it.

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

About 40% of phD graduates in the US were not even born in the US so to discriminate on them for being immigrants is idiotic..If these kids getting aid have great grades and a bright future that can benefit society as a whole, you don't support their education?

Learn the difference between immigration and illegal immigration.

I honestly don't even know why we have an immigration policy it's not like people want to enforce it.

Originally Posted by nestasprotege

your act like MD is giving away guaranteed accept to school.

they are giving out help with tuition, you still have to make it into school, you arent guaranteed a spot, if it the person makes it in such a highly competitive school dont they deserve it?

they are giving out help with tuition, you still have to make it into school, you arent guaranteed a spot, if it the person makes it in such a highly competitive school dont they deserve it?

Originally Posted by air max 87

Here are some facts:

1) These kids have illegal parents
2) These kids are illegal themselves
3) There will be a better qualified out of state US citizen who doesn't consider Maryland because of the cost

This does nothing to solve the problem and, just like welfare, perpetuates the problem.

Here are some facts:

3) There will be a better qualified out of state US citizen who doesn't consider Maryland because of the cost

This does nothing to solve the problem and, just like welfare, perpetuates the problem.

Viva O'Malley!
pimp.gif

Here are some facts:

this isnt like welfare, welfare gives aid for no good reason to anyone who applies, no standards are set, and they can continue make the issue worse with the same life style (more kids, ballin, not paying bills or bettering themselves )

this gives someone the chance to go to school, they still have to make it into school, they still have to keep grades up, etc.

they are working towards a degree and bettering themselves, but this isnt just given to them, they still have to work for it, and continue to work for it.

just cause someone has the money to attend school doesnt mean they should.

Here are some facts:

this isnt like welfare, welfare gives aid for no good reason to anyone who applies, no standards are set, and they can continue make the issue worse with the same life style (more kids, ballin, not paying bills or bettering themselves )

this gives someone the chance to go to school, they still have to make it into school, they still have to keep grades up, etc.

they are working towards a degree and bettering themselves, but this isnt just given to them, they still have to work for it, and continue to work for it.

just cause someone has the money to attend school doesnt mean they should.

Here are some facts:

Show me the part where it says their parents are illegal immigrants.You American citizens are so ignorant.

Here are some facts:

Show me the part where it says their parents are illegal immigrants.You American citizens are so ignorant.

As a Maryland resident and taxpayer I have no problem with this bill at all.  I really don't see how any Maryland resident or US citizen would have a problem with this bill after reading it in it's entirety. 

As a Maryland resident and taxpayer I have no problem with this bill at all.  I really don't see how any Maryland resident or US citizen would have a problem with this bill after reading it in it's entirety. 

Originally Posted by Deuce King

this. also, if the child was born here, isn't he/she an american citizen? 

Originally Posted by Deuce King

this. also, if the child was born here, isn't he/she an american citizen? 

Originally Posted by Diego

roll.gif
really? What are they then?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

What is with NT'rs these days?