::MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES SEASON THREAD: Grizzlies Waiting Before Offering Z-Bo Extension::

That damn Tony Barone.

He's a horrible scout. I wish Chris Wallace would be more into scouting the guys. I really just don't have the confidence in our team to make the right picks.

[h2]
[h2]NBA Free Agency: Rudy Gay could be the Grizzlies' latest huge mistake[/h2]
Mon May 24,2010 12:28 PM ET By Rob Mahoney

Among this year's free agent class, there are the can't-miss prospects (LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh), the impressive consolation prizes (Joe Johnson, Amar'e Stoudemire), and then a third, less illustrious subgroup: those destined to be overpaid.

Carlos Boozer seems a likely candidate as any, as a team with cap space and money to spare will probably end up throwing entirely too much money at a power forward that can score and rebound, but little else.

The same may be true of Rudy Gay, who as a young, talented, free agent, is sure to draw some interest this summer. That last sentence however, comes with a bit of a caveat: whereas guys like LeBron, Joe Johnson, and Carlos Boozer are unrestricted free agents, Gay's restricted free agent status essentially ensures that if Rudy is going to find himself on a different roster next season, someone will have to overpay him. Otherwise, that team risks the Grizzlies matching their offer to Gay and keeping him at a reduced cost.

There's just too many teams with available cap space this summer for someone not to take a swing at Rudy Gay. The LeBrons and Wades of this class can only go to so many teams, which will inevitably leave someone out in the cold with no star to call their own. Then, in their moment of vulnerability, a team could conceivably look to invest in Gay as a long-term pillar of their franchise, and they're doomed to regret that decision down the line.

Rudy Gay is a fine player, but he's far from an NBA star. He's a dynamic talent, but whether or not he's capable of making the jump from good to great is certainly in question. At present, he's simply well above average, which is nice, but not quite centerpiece material.

No one bother to inform Grizzlies' owner Michael Heisley of that apparently, who is posturing going into the free agency period. From
Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal

The Griz are preparing for the June 24 draft with the need for more shooting, versatility, point guard help and their talented, soon-to-be restricted free-agent forward in mind.

Heisley continues to insist that he is prepared to retain Gay at all costs.

"Rudy is going to be out there. But here's the No. 1 thing: The option on what we pay him is mine," Heisley said. "So when I say we're going to have Rudy next year, that's a pretty good indication that we're going to have him."

It's tough to validate free agent talk at this point in the year, but if Heisley really is intent on retaining Gay no matter the cost, the Grizzlies are in some serious trouble. At present, their best move is likely to let Gay walk and try to move forward while building around O.J. Mayo and Marc Gasol, and locking Rudy up with a long-term deal would eliminate much of their financial flexibility going forward. 
[/h2]I don't want to give Rudy a max deal.

But, what are going to get for him if we make a S&T offer? We won't sign any other big name free agents if we let him go, so financial flexibility is out of the question. We wanted flexibility when we traded away Pau and I don't see us doing that again anytime soon.

Day 2 dominators

A quick note on a few impressive Day 2 guys. Tiny Gallon looked much better in Day 2. Not only did he have a little more stamina, but when it came to more physical play in the paint, he dominated the other big men in the gym. Gallon has a lot of buzz right now.

Damion James also benefitted from the more physical play of Day 2. He's not going to be a great drills guy, but when the game is being played, he looks great.

Avery Bradley and Eric Bledsoe were both helped by two straight days of great shooting and hustle. I would love to see those two go at it in workouts. Their first one together is scheduled for Indiana in early June. If one really shines, he could convince the Pacers, who are in desperate need of a point guard, to grab him at No. 10.

Finally, Mississippi's Terrico White shot the lights out on both days and showed the type of handle that had some scouts calling him a point guard earlier in the year. I know the New Jersey Nets and Memphis Grizzlies both like him in late in the first round. Given his athletic ability and solid measurements, more teams may come around.
Terrico would be great for us.

[h1]
[h1]Golden State Star Buys Wright’s Old Home[/h1]
Professional basketball player Monta Ellis, a Mississippi native who now plays for the Golden State Warriors, has bought the Eads home once owned by former University of Memphis Tigers and Memphis Grizzlies star Lorenzen Wright.

The move comes just months after reports that the Grizzlies offered to trade O.J. Mayo and Hasheem Thabeet for Ellis. The deal never happened.

Ellis, who was born and raised in Jackson, Miss., and Juanika M. Amos paid $1.7 million for the custom-built, 12,475-square-foot house that sits on 6.46 acres on Mountain Brook Cove near Raleigh-LaGrange and Reid @@#+** roads. The sale closed May 21.

Source: The Daily News Online & Chandler Reports

The way I look at it, if he wanted to be closer to home he would've bought a house somewhere in Jackson. Its just weird that we were rumored to be looking at him, now he's buying a house in Memphis. I think his sister or something lives here too, not too sure though. Take it for what its worth.
[/h1]

i went to college in jackson and there's no point of living there....a lot of ppl from jackson move to memphis because its the closest major city other than new orleans....but it is interesting he's moving there..

The Grizzlies will begin their individual player workouts Tuesday with players projected to be available around their late first-round draft picks.

Memphis owns selections 12, 25 and 28 in the first round of the June 24 NBA draft. The team isn't expected to host prospects for the 12th pick until a week before the draft.

Luke Harangody, a 6-8 forward out of Notre Dame who averaged 20-plus points for three straight seasons, is perhaps the most interesting name scheduled to appear Tuesday when forwards Ryan Richards (London), Dinma Odiakosa (Illinois State) and Mac Koshwal (DePaul) will also work out.

Wednesday's session will feature guards: Armon Johnson (Nevada), Jerome Randle (California), Ishmael Smith (Wake Forest) and Tory Jackson (Notre Dame).

The predraft workouts will again be conducted by director of player personnel Tony Barone Sr.

The sessions will be on the Grizzlies practice court in FedExForum. Workouts are closed to the public but open to the media and select Grizzlies season-ticket holders.

-- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353

What an impressive list of players......

In other news, just read on realgm.com that the Cavs are looking to buy a first round pick and also looking to deal Delonte. I wonder if Delonte for #25 or #28 would work.

indifferent.gif
@ "eyeing" Bledsoe.. These dudes better draft babbitt

Now DraftExpress has the Grizzlies taking Luke Babbitt.

Who keeps leaking this info out to the media? Remember last year, everybody was pegging Hasheem Thabeet at #2 right after the lotto drawing.
laugh.gif

Grizzlies searching hard for backup to Conley

It was impossible to know in the moment if Mike Conley bumped into his next point guard counterpart when he crossed paths with the latest collection of draft prospects working out for the Grizzlies.
Finding a backup for Mike Conley is a priority for the Grizzlies in the upcoming draft. They're not finished looking at point guards yet.

Finding a backup for Mike Conley is a priority for the Grizzlies in the upcoming draft. They're not finished looking at point guards yet.

Yet this seemed all but certain Wednesday: As Conley entered the FedExForum practice gym for his personal workout, he came face-to-face with an organizational goal for the June 24 draft. The Grizzlies, should they exercise all three first-round selections (12, 25, 28), will likely come away with a point guard.

For all intents and purposes, Conley is the lone player under contract at the position. Jamaal Tinsley and Marcus Williams will be free agents July 1. Local product Lester Hudson is a shoot-first player working to become more of a distributor but his contract for next season isn't guaranteed.

The situation — combined with a weak free-agent crop of point guards — is why the Griz took a hard look at guards Armon Johnson (Nevada), Jerome Randle (California), Ishmael Smith (Wake Forest) and Tory Jackson (Notre Dame).

By draft night, Griz coaches and executives will have entertained about 10 point guard candidates from a pool of 25 players expected to visit Memphis.

General manager Chris Wallace insisted the team would not sacrifice talent for the sake of satisfying a need during the draft. However, there will be more attention paid to who is available at point guard when the Griz are on the clock.

"If things are close, you may shade it in the direction of a point guard," Wallace said. "But you have to make certain things are close. It's not point guard or bust with the picks. The need and the talent may not match up with the pick. But there are players in this draft that are viable backup point guards."

Kentucky's John Wall and Ohio State's Evan Turner are far and away the most coveted players at that position. They will be off the board within the first three picks with the Washington Wizards expected to make Wall the No. 1-overall pick.

Wallace's rationale for looking at backup help at the point in this draft is partly based on Conley having a clear head start on the other prospects. Conley is about to enter his fourth season.

Griz director of player personnel Tony Barone Sr. agreed.

"Michael Conley had a good year. He improved his shot. He runs the team. He's got a high basketball IQ," Barone said. "For him to continue to get better we've got to help him at the backup position. We have to get great quickness or size at that backup position. Conley will get better because of that."

The session Wednesday didn't disappoint, and offered the mixture of size and speed the Griz will consider.

Johnson, 6-3, had no trouble connecting on shots from three-point range. He didn't show much of a mid-range game and wasn't as strong as advertised when posting up his smaller counterparts. Johnson, though, finished strong at the rim and proved he is a physical, aggressive defender.

"This would be a great situation," Johnson said. "I feel like I could step in and help this team. It's a situation where there seems to be playing time."

Randle is only 5-10 but might have made the biggest impression. His quickness and feathery jump shot from long range stood out. During an exercise where the players were required to attempt set shots, Randle sank his first nine and 19 of 25 from just inside the 3-point line. He made 15 of 25 from beyond the arc.
Please avoid Bledsoe at 12...Please avoid Bledsoe at 12...Please avoid Bledsoe at 12...

laugh.gif

Well from the Grizz chat earlier today, it said that Henry, Udoh, George, Babbitt and Bradley are also on the radar at 12. I just hope they are smart enough to realize that they shouldn't take him at 12.

More than likely, if we keep all our picks I see us getting some type of 2/3 possibly 4 combo player, 25 getting a PG and 28 getting a combo guard.

Paul George Draft Video:

http://www.draftexpress.c...Paul-G...-Interview-3495

George and Babbitt are like my 1a and 1b.

I still haven't decided on which one I would rather have, but I do think George has the higher ceiling and could be very special. Babbitt could be a great player, but he doesn't have star potential.

My draft board is: (if the guys that SHOULD be picked before 12 are picked)

1) George
1b) Babbitt
2) Henry

Henry has the NBA body, but we need more size than anything in terms of length/height on the perimeter. The fact that I think George and Babbitt are just as talented, but longer makes him last on my list.

Its just funny how George really reminds me a lot of Rudy from interview personality, demeanor, size coming out of college, athleticism, etc. Its good that he's gained a little more weight since he's now at 214 instead of the 185 they listed him at. I just think under Hollins, he can discipline himself a little more and become a great player. Hollins is use to a guy like him since we already have Rudy on the team, so it shouldn't be that hard to do the same for George.

If the team really fears losing Rudy, then George should be the guy. If not, go with Babbitt or even Henry.

Ronald Tillery: Rudy Gay's ready to answer the bell

Rudy Gay might not be a member of the proposed, star-studded free-agent summit of 2010.
But he plans to be a heavyweight next season.

The Grizzlies' soon-to-be restricted free agent forward has engagedin a training regime earmarked for boxers since the regular seasonended. Gay, who is about to enter his fifth NBA season, has taken hisoffseason workout to another level as he prepares for a USA Basketballtraining camp next month and a possible maximum contract offer whenfree agency begins July 1.

"I'm not fighting anyone," Gay said this weekend when reached byphone. "I'm going through the training. There's no more in-shapeathlete than a boxer."

Gay said he picked up the idea of training like a boxer from otherNBA players such as Cuttino Mobley, Al Harrington, David West and ManuGinobili.

The likes of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and AmareStoudemire will soak up most of the big money. On the second tier, Gaywill be highly coveted.

One team that will make a strong run at Gay is the MinnesotaTimberwolves. Team owner Glen Taylor and president of basketballoperations David Kahn have already targeted Gay as an attainable playerto uplift the struggling franchise.

Griz owner Michael Heisley continues to insist that Gay will be aGrizzly next season. Memphis (namely Heisley) has the right to matchany offer sheet that is presented to Gay from another team.

I've had a feeling for awhile the T'Wolves or Clippers would offer Rudy.

I hope Heisley isn't dumb enough to match a (near) max offer.
Workouts target 12th pick
The Grizzlies will begin to audition players targeted for their 12th pick in a week.

Scheduled to appear next Sunday in one of two sessions featuring atotal of 12 players are Paul George, Xavier Henry, Luke Babbitt, CraigBrackins and James Anderson.

That group is designed to take a look at forwards and guards who cananswer the Grizzlies' call for more shooting, size and athleticism.

The team will also conduct a workout June 15 (featuring SherronCollins, Greivis Vasquez and Avery Bradley) for what will be an intenselook at backup point guard candidates.

A June 16 workout is geared toward more forwards with Ekpe Udoh, Larry Sanders and Latavious Williams among the key names.

At least prospects are willing to workout for the Grizzlies this year.
laugh.gif

West criticizes Gasol trade

Former Grizzlies president Jerry West told NBA-TV that the Grizwould have received more in the 2008 Pau Gasol trade if they shoppedhim around.

"I don't know why they did that (deal)," West said.

West was magical for the Grizzlies, making the franchise respectable and relevant. They haven't won without him. But West didn't draft well and his attempts to trade Gasol failed.

West couldn't persuade Chicago to part with Luol Deng in a larger deal.

He couldn't swing anything with San Antonio, either, just to name a couple of potential trade partners at the time.

West's main problem with Gasol-to-the-Lakers was that the Grizzlies' didn't insist on getting Lamar Odom.

In the end, a frontcourt of Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol seems more than sufficient.

I hope this puts an end to people thinking Jerry West had anything to do with the Gasol trade.

West was here long enough to know the whole point of the Pau Gasol trade and why we didn't take back Odom. We wasn't going to get Marc Gasol if we took Odom, so I'm glad we didn't. I'm also glad we didn't get Deng in that trade with Chicago, because that would've been a waste.

It seems like Rudy always try to take his training to another level each summer. Last summer he put on more muscle and played well at the USA camp. Now, he's doing the boxing training. He needs to start working on his ball handling though.

He is a guy you can throw the ball to and say score and we have great confidence in the fact that it will happen. We had 2 guys on the squad that fit that role last yr- Rudy and Zach.

I'm starting to feel we should sign him- period.

To let him walk would be a tremendous mistake as he's our most talented player. He is so young at 23.

If we hate the situation in 2 yrs, he will be a tradeable piece just like Pau was.

Also, I'm starting to think that Paul George is moving up the draft ranks and he might be selected before our pick which is why I believe we need to move up to the 7-8 range.

I would offer Thabeet / 28 or Arthur for Wilcox / 7. Take George at 7 and hopefully get a big like Udoh at 12. We could even flip it and take Udoh at 7, George or Babbitt at 12.

A guy said this on the boards and make alot of sense about Rudy...
I think we forget how many players make in the $10-12m range who aren't the focal point of their team. Rudy has a shot at being our focal point in a few more years. A better than 50% shot at being #2. Only time will tell. But the probability is high enough that letting him walk would be throwing in the towel.

The reason people are skewed on the "worth" of Rudy is we were sold a bill of goods by this franchise that Pau's contract alone said he was our #1 guy. West more so than anybody, with his comments, made that out to be the case. When in reality, Pau is not wired to be #1. If Rudy destroyed his leg in game 7 of the finals and Pau was "the man" going into next season, how far into the playoffs do the Lakers go next year?

People need to stop worrying about who gets paid what. The only reason fans sweat it in Memphis is because they've been conditioned to do so. I'm more interested in seeing what this team does with the talent it has with an up or down vote, essentially. In this sense, I'm glad to hear Heisley being so adamant that Rudy will be here next year. If we do keep Rudy - ESPECIALLY if we "overpay" him (what is that, anyway?) - that will make me be more of a believer that the 3YP was legit.

Paul George even going above 12?
eek.gif
eek.gif

I'd say it'd be a shame to give up on Thabeet so quickly...

I'd hope Grizz can do a S+T to NO for maybe Peja (expiring) and DC, draft Udoh/Babbit, and keep building on from there.

Paul George has a good chance of getting taken by the Clippers at 8. They need a small forward and he should be able to run the floor, spread the floor and play some defense right away. It doesn't hurt that he admitted he was a Clippers fan growing up too.
laugh.gif

I don't think people realize when Heisley says he "will match any offer" means. We know how crazy he is, but I'm also confident that a team won't offer Rudy some 5yr/80+mil dollar deal.

Now somewhere in the $65-70mil range will definitely be a match. I mean the guy is 23 years old. By the end of his contract, he will be in his prime at 28.

5-65 is definately a bit high, but its a somewhat solid offer. theres contracts that are way worse out there though.

However, you have to take into consideration about the CBA lowering contracts from next year on.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Sign and trade.

Sure, but the only way I see that happening is if we get who we want.

Memphis is either going to want to move up in the lottery, want Rubio and a guarentee from him that he'll play for us or possibly a combination of Love/Gomes or Love/Brewer.

That's all I can honestly see us going after.

Reason being is because we could look to take Favors at #4 or even flip the pick, we can possibly get our future PG in Rubio or our future PF in Love and a solid 3/4 combo in Gomes.

Anything else probably won't get it done for Rudy. We will be in the driver seat since he is restricted and its not like Rudy hasn't came out and said he doesn't really want to be here.

5-65 is definately a bit high, but its a somewhat solid offer. theres contracts that are way worse out there though.

However, you have to take into consideration about the CBA lowering contracts from next year on.

I believe the LEAST you will get from Rudy during those 5 years will be 20 and 6 on average.

I don't mind paying him that amount if he can guarentee you that as your 2nd option as long as he continues to show improvements in other areas.

The way I look at the CBA rule is that we can't focus on how players will be paid a year later and lose out on a guy that can be a great 2nd option long-term. We already are horrible at drafting players and we won't be able to sign free agents, so the chance that we can get a guy just as good as him or a guy that will reach Rudy's potential isn't exactly very high.

The good thing about the CBA rule is that guys like OJ and Marc will have to be paid less money anyway. They could easily look at what Rudy would get this season and base that on how much they should get, but that rule may cancel out one the CBA is in place.

Right now, I see us we two solid long-term 2nd options on the team. Now, depending on which player can take the furthest leap into next season, they could possibly be our 1st option in OJ and Rudy. I also think their success depends on how well Conley comes out next season. If he can assert himself early into the season and get those players more involved in the offense rather than dumping it down low to Zach (by Hollins changing the playbook some), then that will help as well.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Q & A with Rudy Gay[/h1]
MEMPHIS, June 9, 2010 – It might be the offseason, but Rudy Gay has done anything but take that meaning literally. The star forward has had a very busy offseason up to now, and a break is nowhere on the horizon. This past weekend he spent time in Haiti with a group of other current and former NBA players who were there to check in on the progress that has been made since the catastrophic earthquake hit in January. He’s also gearing up for his much anticipated appearance with Team USA this summer with an unorthodox training method.

As part of our offseason Q&A series, Grizzlies.com spoke with Rudy when he returned from his trip to Haiti to catch up on a variety of topics.

Grizzlies.com: What was your trip to Haiti like this past weekend?
Rudy Gay: It was a good trip. I’ve never been more eager to help than I am now after going over there this past weekend. I donated during the season through Project Medishare and our team got together and donated money. When you are giving money you want to know where it is going and make sure that it is being used to properly help people, so I wanted to go over there and check it out.

Grizzlies.com: One of the former players you went to Haiti with was this year’s Civil Rights Sports Legacy Award winner Alonzo Mourning. Mourning was so deeply touched by what happened in Haiti that he left immediately following the award presentation at halftime of the MLK Celebration Game to go back to Haiti to aid in the effort. What did he tell you about his experiences there?
Rudy: The days after it happened he went down there and sat with kids and watched a lot of what was happening right after the earthquakes, so he really has inspired a lot of people that he knows to help over there. The thing that Zo stressed to me was that there are lot of bad things going on in the world, but Haiti is so populated that it made the tragedy that much worse. We also talked about the need to help because so many kids are now abandoned.

Grizzlies.com: After being there this weekend, what do you think is the biggest concern?
Rudy: People are down there with no housing. There is a lot of dehydration. They still need help. They aren’t anywhere near being done with getting everything back there.

Grizzlies.com: What was the highlight of your trip there?
Rudy: We opened a new hospital. The opening ceremony was on Saturday (June 5). We wanted to make sure that the money that we donated was going to something that was going to actually help and make a difference there.

Grizzlies.com: How do you decide you wanted to help in Haiti?
Rudy: To give back has to be something you are passionate about. I really wanted to help the people there.

Grizzlies.com: Is it true that you have taken to boxing to help you get ready for next season?
Rudy: I was watching 24/7 with Floyd Mayweather and the kind of stuff he was doing you have to be in really good shape, so I wanted to try it out.

Grizzlies.com: So you were inspired by real boxers and not Rocky Balboa?
Rudy: Haha, no, definitely real boxers for this.

Grizzlies.com: Who was your favorite boxer growing up?
Rudy: I would say it would Muhammed Ali. I remember watching old fights with my grandfather. He used to love to watch those fights and I really enjoyed watching them with him.

Grizzlies.com: So have you done any sparring as part of the training?
Rudy: No, no sparring. It was just going through the training that each of these guys go through. I think that any athlete that knows that they aren’t the best person around they are going to want to come in and get better at it. So since I hadn’t really done any boxing before, I came in and trained with the pros and worked hard at it.

Grizzlies.com: So you’ve done boxing this offseason, and last year you did baseball with the Redbirds, what is the next sport you are going to try out?
Rudy: The next sport I’m going to test out is soccer. We’ve got the World Cup coming up, so I want to challenge Ronaldo to one-on-one. Ronaldo is the best in the world, and I want to challenge the best in the world.

Grizzlies.com: Although you likely won’t end up playing in the World Cup, based on last year’s experience at the Team USA camp, there is a good chance you’ll be part of a America’s team at the World Championships in Turkey this summer. What would it mean to you to make the team?
Rudy: This is something I’ve dreamed about since I was little. I remember watching (Michael) Jordan and (Scottie) Pippen play for Team USA and it is something that I’ve always wanted to do in my career.

Grizzlies.com: With playing on Team USA being one of your life-long dreams, are you putting a lot of pressure on yourself to make the team?
Rudy: There is nothing guaranteed. I put a lot of pressure on myself, but I’m better under pressure. I’m more focused and play better when there is more pressure on me to succeed.

Grizzlies.com: Do you think that the international rules help your style of game?
Rudy: The FIBA rules are a lot more lenient than the NBA rules at times. They allow you to go out there and use your talents.

Grizzlies.com: During half-time of Game 1 of the NBA Finals there was a segment with Lakers guard Kobe Bryant where he described how he has taken elements from other player’s games throughout history and added them to his own. Have you taken any parts of other player’s games and incorporated them into your own.
Rudy: Even now, Kobe has been in the league a long time, and he’s a guy that I’ve watched and tried to pick stuff up from. T-Mac (Tracy McGrady) is a player that I always watched. Scottie Pippen has a similar build to what I have, so he’s another guy. When I was younger I wanted to be like KG (Kevin Garnett) because I was taller than everybody I played against, but then I stopped growing, so I started watching the guards.

Grizzlies.com: Last summer you hit the weight room and bulked up. Is there anything in particular that you will be focusing on this offseason?
Rudy: I think that I’m going to be more disciplined this season. I’m going to try to do the same stuff, but be more disciplined. For instance, when I’ m ball-handling, I’m going to be more disciplined. When I’m in a position where I use the pivot to my advantage I’m going to be more disciplined.

http://www.nba.com/grizzl...ith-rudy-gay-100609.html

i think the grizz need a better point... i'm just not a fan of how mike conley (sp?) is playing.. they need like a guard that can play without the ball.. oj and gay are most effective with the ball in their hands... thabeet IMO was a waste of a pick..... he just looks lost when he's playing ball... and he slows down the pace too much.. grizz need to run free!!!

Back
Top Bottom