::MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES SEASON THREAD: Grizzlies Waiting Before Offering Z-Bo Extension::

We immediately went from small to tall in the backcourt, especially if Brewer plays the 2.

I really, really, really hope Mayo shows something in summer league for PG. Conley would be a great 2nd unit PG and would probably play more confidently as the backup. That, and I hope Vasquez is the real deal and we just got a late 1st round steal. It would be a dream for us to go from the tallest rotation guard being 6-4 to the smallest being 6-4.

Actually, i think late first round was a bit early for Vasquez (but thats since i was hoping he was going to the Knicks, i still do actually)

Honestly, that was a really good draft for Memphis, although i feel that you're going to regret moving Dom Jones, a lot.

IMO, what the Griz should have done was, S&T Rudy + Conley for a better point guard (Neer, CP, Calderon, okay i lied about that, but you get my point).

PG-OJ-Brewer-Zbo-Gasol
Vasquez-Henry-Jones-that Euro (I'm missing someone, but i cant remember who)

A lot better then last year. I would have liked Whiteside off the bench too.

We're just not getting rid of Rudy. Heisley values him just as much as Marc. And he's basically our only athletic perimeter player on this team that can score over anybody. That's why I don't know why the media keeps thinking that he's going to leave. Whether he gets close to a max deal (which I don't see that happening), we will re-sign him because he's a key part to our team. Letting him go woud push us backwards next year as well.

Listening to Heisley's interview, he's very confident in our starting 5 and he thinks they can get the job done. He mentioned Arthur was hurt last season and with a healthy Arthur, Brewer along with adding (hopefully) an improved Thabeet, Vasquez and Henry makes our bench better.

If Rudy is traded, I don't see it being now. It would probably be 2-3 years from now if he doesn't really work out in Memphis. Notice that you've heard OJ and Zach names in rumored deals, but Rudy and Marc name is being kept out of the conversation. That's because those two are the only guys we have an advantage in terms of size.

So, if you look at our depth chart:

Conley / Vasquez
OJ / Henry
Gay / Brewer / Young / Carroll
Randolph / Arthur
Gasol / Thabeet / Haddadi

We look better, but I want to add another 4 man that can push Arthur back to 3rd on the depth chart. Someone who can score, block shots and play a combination of power forwards and centers.

I do notice that the tone of the media on Conley has changed. Last off-season, you would hear them say things about how we may need to upgrade our PG position and all that, but now its more of  "Conley is progressing and taking a step forward" type of thing. If Conley starts off this season like he has done in previous seasons, I expect him gone. He has a guy in Vasquez that's going to put pressure on him in practice, so let's see if he folds under pressure. He's not a baby anymore and he's heading into his 4th season, so I don't expect Heisley to be patient with him this season.

102410522_10.jpg

pimp.gif

Looking at the depth chart, I think Sam Young is the odd man out (assuming the team re-signs Rudy Gay and Ronnie Brewer).

BHZ, you're a funny guy
laugh.gif

I agree with you if Conley plays well, he'll be gone. Got to trade while the values high.

Rudy Gay over OJ?
laugh.gif

Sure, Rudy's got the talent, and he'll be a stud in a few years with a few more pratices each summer with the USA olympic team, but if hes moved for the right piece, they can be a playoff contender, NOW.

What i like about this team is that, they have a LOT of assets to bring in some veterans, and make a big surprise in the playoffs. by no means they're better then LA, or has the talent that OKC has, but they're getting there.

IMO, Conley, Brewer, can get a nice overpaid veteran if they're willingly to take the contract. (prince, pietrus, rip, etc.)

Originally Posted by BangDak

BHZ, you're a funny guy
laugh.gif

I agree with you if Conley plays well, he'll be gone. Got to trade while the values high.

Rudy Gay over OJ?
laugh.gif

Sure, Rudy's got the talent, and he'll be a stud in a few years with a few more pratices each summer with the USA olympic team, but if hes moved for the right piece, they can be a playoff contender, NOW.

What i like about this team is that, they have a LOT of assets to bring in some veterans, and make a big surprise in the playoffs. by no means they're better then LA, or has the talent that OKC has, but they're getting there.

IMO, Conley, Brewer, can get a nice overpaid veteran if they're willingly to take the contract. (prince, pietrus, rip, etc.)
I didn't say that's what I'll do, but thats how the team operates.

But, let me add this....Let's say we traded Rudy for a guy like Prince or Pietrus. What's going to happen if Zach leaves after this season. Where is our perimeter scoring coming from? OJ is going to carry the entire load being undersized? We will basically only have one go to player and that would be OJ. I'm trying to tell you, Rudy is a lot harder to replace than people think. We won't know that til he leaves. OJ is easier to replace (WITH THE WAY HE'S BEING USED IN MEMPHIS) than Rudy.

We can find a guy that does the same things OJ does for us which is being in the mold of a role player currently. I think its funny how people make some fun of Rudy saying he's this and that, but if he leaves this team next year for a role player we will be in trouble. We will end up being one of the least athletic teams with a lot less perimeter scoring. I've been hard on him too, but I think we've already committed to having him and Marc on this team long-term and hopefully OJ. 

If I'm Memphis, I would offer the full MLE to Scola and force Rockets to match. I'll also take a look at Amundson. Not sure what other free agent bigs are out there. I would love to somehow sign Scola away from Houston (even though its unlikely) and have a rotation of Zach/Scola/Gasol.

I want Matt Bonner to backup Z-Bo. He's experienced, can stretch the floor and be a good influence in the locker room. He should be relatively cheap too.

His weaknesses on defense should be masked by Gasol/Thabeet.

I didn't think about him.
pimp.gif

Frye would also be nice off the bench.  

We can now call the Grizzlies one of the most diverse team in the NBA.

Lets see:

Tanzania
Venezuela
Spain
Iran
American

We need somebody from China or Japan now.

I'd also like to see them add a veteran backup PG...not necessarily anyone that would challenge for minutes, just there for spot minutes if an injury occurs or Conley/Vasquez play poorly.

Someone like Anthony Carter. He essentially accepted being a third string PG this past season, so maybe he would do it in Memphis.

All the team needs to do now is Re-sign Rudy & I think they're set.. The only problem last year was bench scoring which should be no problem now with Henry, Vasquez & a healthy Arthur.. Although another shooter like Frye or Bonner wouldnt be bad.

He probably accepted being a 3rd string, since its on a championship team.

Memphis? ehh. he might take it though.

I'm not sold on Rudy yet, but whatever. Depends on that contract. 5/55, take it or leave it IMO.

Our defense was also a problem, but do you know how many games we really could've won if it wasn't for our bench? We got outscored by 15 points on average by other benches.

We actually had the lead in multiple games and could probably count on both hands the amount of games we lost due to inexperience and no bench. Now that we are keeping the team together, the chemistry and expierence factor should cancel out. I still think we need one more guy off the bench, but I do think we can make a serious push this season to be in the playoffs.

We were the 7th best offensive team in the league. If we actually played better perimeter defense (since we have a healthy Brewer now), we should be fine.

I'm just not sold on relying on our rookies for scoring off the bench yet. It's just too much pressure on them, thats why I want another veteran on the bench.

The Grizzlies led the league in blown leads after leading by double figures. I don't remember the exact number of losses that came of it, but it had to be in the high teens-low twenties.
sick.gif
They hold on to win half of those games and they're in the playoffs.

A lot of it can be contributed to defense, inexperience, coaching and heavy minutes on the starters. The starters are just about as good as any in the league. But they got burned out about a week before ASW and sputtered until the end of the season. However, with the rookies and experience under their belt, I'm thinking (errr hoping) the bench will be much more reliable than last season.

[h1]
[h1]Grizzlies expect intense competition[/h1][h2]Rookies will push veterans for court time[/h2]

Lowry sprang to his feet and charged toward Jaric looking for retaliation. But teammates and coaches stepped in and separated the two former Griz guards. They were locked in a testy battle for precious playing time as the team's backup point guard.

Lionel Hollins was the interim head coach that day. However, he isn't expecting weekly heavyweight fights now that the Griz have added -- via Thursday's NBA draft -- guards who make work ethic their calling card.

Hollins is looking forward to more intense competition with this collection of Grizzlies when training camp tips off in October.

Translation: Hollins is expecting Xavier Henry (12th overall draft pick) and Greivis Vasquez (28th selection) will push veterans O.J. Mayo, Mike Conley and Rudy Gay to improve while making it difficult for second-year players such as Sam Young and DeMarre Carroll to get playing time.

"It does create competition," Hollins said. "These guys (Henry and Vasquez) are hard workers. They love to play. We're adding two people that love to be in the gym, and it's going to bring more players on to their level.

"When players work hard it attracts other players to work hard. I feel very comfortable with the draft."

The Griz accomplished a few goals by drafting Henry and Vasquez.

They improved shooting, added size to an otherwise small backcourt and ratcheted up the team's basketball IQ. With those elements, the Grizzlies are counting on a more effective and efficient bench.

Hollins and his assistants have already begun to envision lineup combinations. They put Henry and Vasquez through extensive workouts on Friday and Saturday.

The Grizzlies' coaching staff will get an additional chance to evaluate how their draft choices might fit when the Las Vegas summer league begins July 12.

Hollins said he won't put any undue pressure on the rookies. Still, the additions of Henry and Vasquez should remove the sense of entitlement from every perimeter player on the roster.

"The best people will play," Hollins said. "There's always a draft. There are always people coming in. If you don't improve and if you don't go forward, somebody is going to take your job.

"I don't have to send a message. I'm not trying to send a message. I'm just trying to put the best possible scenario together. As we go forward it'll shake itself out on the court."

-- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353
[/h1] I didn't know that incident with Lowry and Jaric happened.
laugh.gif

Its amazing how some people see him being a bust.

IMO, he was selected late lottery so anything above average is great for him. Its not like we are expecting him to become a star, but a great role player.

Expectatios of him aren' that high, so he should be in great shape to make a impact for us.

He was one of the safer prospects in the Draft if you ask me. At the very least he'll knock down threes, play defense and put the team over himself. A Shane Battier type if you will, albeit not quite the defender but more potential overall.

The Timberwolves will target Memphis restricted free agent Rudy Gay when the NBA's free agency period begins Wednesday night, according to a league source.

Wolves boss David Kahn on Monday said he will call at 11 p.m. Wednesday two agents he wouldn't identify and seek to arrange for their clients to visit Target Center and meet with team personnel, including owner Glen Taylor.

Gay, 23, is a 6-8 small forward who just finished his fourth season with Memphis, which drafted him eighth overall (one pick after Randy Foye) in the 2006 draft. He plays the same position as Wesley Johnson, whom the Wolves selected with the fourth overall pick in last week's draft.

The Wolves could sign Gay to a maximum contract too rich for the Grizzlies to match, starting at more than $13 million per season. Or they could agree with Memphis on a longer, richer sign-and-trade deal, but the Grizzlies might be unwilling to take Al Jefferson's contract back.
Not surprising here.

Bang, since you like the S&T route better the few people I would go after from Minnesota would be a package deal of Webster and Jefferson.

Make Jefferson our 3rd big off the bench til we can start him next year and start Webster at the 3. Webster is basically the same age as Rudy, better shooter and can actually light it up when given minutes.

If he's given a significant amount of minutes (30-33mpg), he can get you around 17 a game IMO. That won't be too much of a drop off from Rudy especially if you add in Jefferson. Do I think the Twolves do it? No, but its worth a try.

So I suppose the TWolves plan for rebuilding is stockpile as many players in a "need" position.

Last year they needed a PG...Got Flynn, Rubio, and Sessions...this year it's SF...draft Johnson, and a couple others...get Webster, and get Gay...Brilliant David Kahn.

I rather take Love and Webster, or the rights to rubio (but lets not get started on that).

Would the wolves really give up that much for rudy though?

Martell Webster and Xavier Henry would be redundant since both are fairly one dimensional (spot up shooters). Corey Brewer is decent because he can play some defense, shoot threes and is athletic but meh.

Anything with Love is a win.

To think I was just warming up to the idea of Rudy re-signing.
laugh.gif

Well it seems obvious that they want to keep Love. Jefferson and Brewer would do it for me too. I do think we put alot of investing into this starting 5 and that Heisley wants to see what they could do this year before he decides anybody needs to go.

Having that type of frontline is what would help us go a long ways out west. Love would be nice but i dont see them trading him anymore.

Back
Top Bottom