Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | A Hideo Kojima Game

To clarify, will Ground Zeroes be part of The Phantom Pain or released separately?

So you can think of it that Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is the big game and within that the first prologue to it is Ground Zeroes.

As you saw in the trailer, The Phantom Pain provides a vast world where the player can really go anywhere and get lost. But for past Metal Gear fans used to a linear experience it would probably be hard for them to get used to that without having a prologue and a way to get used to it. So Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes is an interpretation to really give them a very short, smaller version of that scale.

In The Phantom Pain there are real-life day and night cycles but in Ground Zeroes the weather doesn't change and it's at night time. This is to help the past Metal Gear fans to get used to the fact that it's now open-world.

But will it be released separately?

We can't talk about how we're going to release it because we still haven't decided yet.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/414360/interviews/e3-interview-kojima-on-mgs-5/

Kojima came out and said that they're the same game earlier this week. Just like the Tanker / Big Shell incident in MGS2 and The Virtuous Mission / Operation Snake Eater in MGS3.
Good looks on that, didn't hear about it.

Also a question from another forum regarding the child soldiers..

If there's a moment in the game where you have to kill one, not by cutscene or anything like that, but actual full control of it

How would that make you feel?  Would you be disgusted by it?

Would you even do it? I mean it in a sense where the kid isn't threatening you, it's just a by product of Big Boss's descent into madness. He just snaps and treats them like any other combatant even if the child is clearly not suited for it.

What will you think?

Last edited:
If this game makes you kill a kid, there is no way it would see the light of day.

The backlash would be worse than "No Russian" from COD x10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I don't remember solidus being all that interesting... Maybe I need to play it again I dunno.

It would be like any other game death to you?

A child's death in VG's is rare, when it's comes by your hands (with intent and up close and personal) is even rarer.

I can see people's problem with it, especially with those who have children themselves.

Last edited:
Good looks on that, didn't hear about it.

Also a question from another forum regarding the child soldiers..

If there's a moment in the game where you have to kill one, not by cutscene or anything like that, but actual full control of it

How would that make you feel?  Would you be disgusted by it?

Would you even do it? I mean it in a sense where the kid isn't threatening you, it's just a by product of Big Boss's descent into madness. He just snaps and treats them like any other combatant even if the child is clearly not suited for it.

What will you think?

They already killed a kid. Ocelots sis was killed by vamp.

If it gave u a choice I wouldn't probably. But I'd go back and do it just to see what happens. Like at first I didn't shoot at gray in MGS. But then I tried to see what happens

If u do a story on a guy who wants permemant war and uses children soldiers. Well. Some are gonna have to die if you want an emotional impact. As a show of power, or punishment.

I could see it getting some outrage from some loser congressman who wants to grandstand. But MGS is a respected series.

Big boss isn't a good person at the end of the day. He's messed up. Wants perpetual warfare. Enjoys killing. It wouldn't make sense not to show his messed up stuff

The game will still be critically acclaimed and sell well. Too much crazy stuff out for it to get censored. And Kohima has decades of a track record.

I assume the whole point is you SHOULD be disgusted by it. He isn't a hero at this point anymore.

Drones kill kids. Soldiers have killed kids. Kids have killed kids. It really shouldn't be that serious

Now if it was a videogame where you go and shoot up a school and the more kids killed the more points you get, and has you strategically plan the best ways to shoot up public areas, obviously I wouldn't feel the same way.

Last edited:
They already killed a kid. Ocelots sis was killed by vamp.
If it gave u a choice I wouldn't probably. But I'd go back and do it just to see what happens. Like at first I didn't shoot at gray in MGS. But then I tried to see what happens

If u do a story on a guy who wants permemant war and uses children soldiers. Well. Some are gonna have to die if you want an emotional impact. As a show of power, or punishment.

I could see it getting some outrage from some loser congressman who wants to grandstand. But MGS is a respected series.

Big boss isn't a good person at the end of the day. He's messed up. Wants perpetual warfare. Enjoys killing. It wouldn't make sense not to show his messed up stuff

The game will still be critically acclaimed and sell well. Too much crazy stuff out for it to get censored. And Kohima has decades of a track record.

I assume the whole point is you SHOULD be disgusted by it. He isn't a hero at this point anymore.
In reference to your point on
Vamp killing Otacon's little sister, I think she was like 17-20, at least seemed that way to me.

Also in Vamp killing her, it wasn't in the players control and it still hurt.

These child soldiers looked 8-11 years older, maybe a bit younger/older. And you'd be doing it all yourself, full control.
A guy who says "Start a war, fan its flames, and create victims... then save them, train them... and feed them back onto the battlefield" damn well views child soldiers as just another weapon, no matter what his twisted vision of The Boss's will was, and his "Outer Heaven" was to be. ("A sanctuary for disillusioned soldiers, where they would not be used as pawns of their government, and where they would always have a place, be it on the battlefield or in society in general").

As much as I think Big Boss is a badass/anti hero he eventually becomes what he hated and fought to be against.

A tyrant who tried to rule over lives with an iron fist, no matter who he hurt or if it resulted in casualties.

Last edited:
Game order.

Do the original Metal Gear, it's found in the MGS3 menu(MG2:SS is there as well). They're NES games but hot damn if they aren't beastly in their own little ways. I won't spoil the last boss if you don't know already. :D :nerd:

You on PS3? If so do what I said before, check the playstation store and cop the original MGS1 (Its like $10 or lower).

If you're on 360 and have a spare gamecube lying around get Twin Snakes (MGS1 remake) if you have to but honestly, other than improved visuals it's worse in every way.

Then it's 2, 3, and Peace Walker(originally a PSP game, its now in HD and control scheme changed), (if you have a PSP cop Portable Ops, imo it's better than PW but was not included in the collection).

If you do cop Portable Ops, do it before Peace Walker.

why don't you like twin snakes?

edit:

and to answer you question, i would not mind. after all it is just a game. of course at first i would feel a little weird, however i need to beat the game dammit ! :lol:

Last edited:
Terrible voice acting, making it Solid Snake even more "super hero" like (when overhearing Liquid and Ocelot he does a damn flip to the other side of the door, compare that to in the original he just quickly moves over, music being waaaaay too techno like, felt like I was clubbing at times; dodging freaking missiles amongst other things).

I'd have thought NT to be more diverse on the subject, guess we all agree.
laugh.gif

I highly doubt hideo would allow you to kill children in this game. :rolleyes I mean mgs is known for some shock factor moments but that's just overboard.

i get what you are saying about twin snakes....i guess kojima was going for a superhero with hip tones :lol:

I highly doubt hideo would allow you to kill children in this game.
eyes.gif
I mean mgs is known for some shock factor moments but that's just overboard.
If you see the trailer, it does seem as if Big Boss is shooting the kids in the cage, if not for nothing else child soldiers are featured in the game (some WILL die I mean it'd be ridiculous if some didn't).

I'm just questioning how would you react if  it comes by BB's hand. Which in turn would mean in YOUR hands.

Last edited:
i get what you are saying about twin snakes....i guess kojima was going for a superhero with hip tones
laugh.gif
Yeah if you don't got a PS3 and you HAVE to know what happens in MGS1 I guess it's an option.

A crappy option but at least it's there.

i'm definitely copping mgs1 on ps3 after i pass peace walker on the hd collection. reading this thread even made me want to buy vr missions

Now what NEEDS to happen are HD remakes of the MSX games.

The boss battle's and viewing Outer Heaven in all of it's glory in TRUE and CLEAR HD

Last edited:
If you see the trailer, it does seem as if Big Boss is shooting the kids in the cage, if not for nothing else child soldiers are featured in the game (some WILL die I mean it'd be ridiculous if some didn't).

I'm just questioning how would you react if  it comes by BB's hand. Which in turn would mean in YOUR hands.
I've only seen the trailer once so i gotta re-watch it, but i did remember seeing boss choke out the kid though. Honestly though, it wouldn't bother me too much i guess. the story seems so complex in this game though so it just depends on how Big Boss is in this game and how the story unfolds for me to actually have any type of feeling towards it. Crazy how they got like this whole kony type child soldiers thing going on though :lol: :smh: :lol:

I never beat Peace Walker
laugh.gif
, but know the gist of it and especially
Kaz spying for Cipher AKA The Patriots on Zero's behalf.

What a scumbag.

I've only seen the trailer once so i gotta re-watch it, but i did remember seeing boss choke out the kid though. Honestly though, it wouldn't bother me too much i guess. the story seems so complex in this game though so it just depends on how Big Boss is in this game and how the story unfolds for me to actually have any type of feeling towards it. Crazy how they got like this whole kony type child soldiers thing going on though
laugh.gif
mean.gif
laugh.gif
Great avatar my good sir.
pimp.gif

Totally forgot about Big Boss choking out Chico (or maybe applying pressure on a wound as others claim).

In reference to your point on

Vamp killing Otacon's little sister, I think she was like 17-20, at least seemed that way to me.

Also in Vamp killing her, it wasn't in the players control and it still hurt.

These child soldiers looked 8-11 years older, maybe a bit younger/older. And you'd be doing it all yourself, full control.

A guy who says "Start a war, fan its flames, and create victims... then save them, train them... and feed them back onto the battlefield" damn well views child soldiers as just another weapon, no matter what his twisted vision of The Boss's will was, and his "Outer Heaven" was to be. ("A sanctuary for disillusioned soldiers, where they would not be used as pawns of their government, and where they would always have a place, be it on the battlefield or in society in general").

As much as I think Big Boss is a badass/anti hero he eventually becomes what he hated and fought to be against.

A tyrant who tried to rule over lives with an iron fist, no matter who he hurt or if it resulted in casualties.

the thing i love about mgs is there really isnt any "bad guy"

shadow moses liquid just wanted to cure the genome soliders, and the foxdie vaccine. he also wanted to turn shadow moses into outer heaven. he kills gray fox but fox was standing in his way, so he had to do it

big boss wanted a country were soldiers were always wanted. free from their governments and can continue to do their work and get paid for it. msf comes to mind and then later outer heaven/haven

solidus, to me, was good, tho he was the ends defy the means type. he wanted the patriots dead just like everyone else but he would kill people to achieve it. like how he shot olga on top of arsenal

volgin was the only "bad" guy. he killed granin, tortured big boss, and hit sokolov and eva. if it wasnt for volgin launching the missle at the factory then snake wouldnt have killed the boss. since america wouldnt let her come home, they had to send in snake to kill her

i've completely skipped out on peace walker and portable ops. i had both for psp but could never get into it and then i lost my psp charger...i was aware peace walker was kinda a big part leading up to phantom pain but am i missing out much leaving off from snake eater and mgs4? and i didnt play revengeance either but i was told that had nothing to do with snake/boss story.

the thing i love about mgs is there really isnt any "bad guy"

shadow moses liquid just wanted to cure the genome soliders, and the foxdie vaccine. he also wanted to turn shadow moses into outer heaven. he kills gray fox but fox was standing in his way, so he had to do it

big boss wanted a country were soldiers were always wanted. free from their governments and can continue to do their work and get paid for it. msf comes to mind and then later outer heaven/haven

solidus, to me, was good, tho he was the ends defy the means type. he wanted the patriots dead just like everyone else but he would kill people to achieve it. like how he shot olga on top of arsenal

volgin was the only "bad" guy. he killed granin, tortured big boss, and hit sokolov and eva. if it wasnt for volgin launching the missle at the factory then snake wouldnt have killed the boss. since america wouldnt let her come home, they had to send in snake to kill her
Liquid, I don't think, cared about ANYTHING else other than beating Big Boss where he failed and proving he was superior to Solid.

Big Boss wanting to do his own thing but having Zero interfere over and over again (and this attack of MSF/Clones) just pushed his already tortured mind into madness, not without his own faults however. Also child soldiers and conquering neighboring countries is too much.

Solidus was an idealist for sure, wanting to free the people from The Patriots control but more than anything wanted his name to be firmly planted in history. Killing
Olga, Raiden's parents
and making countless other child soldiers (following his father's footsteps well) was horrific.

Volgin was just a scumbag.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom