Most devoted fans in the NBA

Far from it... there are SO many wishy-washy fans in Oregon. If the Blazers are winning, fans are out in droves and they're the greatest team ever. If they're losing... no one is to be seen. It's like that way with all sports in Oregon though... so trendy.
Chester, how long have you lived in Oregon? I never lived in Portland but I follow the Blazers pretty closely and from what I've read and BillWalton always talks about it, Blazer fans are one of the most devoted fans in the league. Obviously because they are the only pro team. I heard Blazer fanswere always nuts for there team ever since the Walton to Clyde to Pippen days but from what I read, Blazers fans only left during the Jail Blazer days.

as much as id like to say boston fans, until this year almost nobody gave a shh about them. (not including myself, and others on this board obviously.)

Warriors, Bulls, and I'll add in tthe Knicks because it's not the best fans in the league, just the most devoted.

As Ska mentioned above.

I think its the Knicks, because out fan base in comprised with real fans who are sticking it out through all the bad times right now. Other teams like theLakers, and Raptors are comprised with bandwagon fans.

Originally Posted by JdotWONG

Far from it... there are SO many wishy-washy fans in Oregon. If the Blazers are winning, fans are out in droves and they're the greatest team ever. If they're losing... no one is to be seen. It's like that way with all sports in Oregon though... so trendy.
Chester, how long have you lived in Oregon? I never lived in Portland but I follow the Blazers pretty closely and from what I've read and Bill Walton always talks about it, Blazer fans are one of the most devoted fans in the league. Obviously because they are the only pro team. I heard Blazer fans were always nuts for there team ever since the Walton to Clyde to Pippen days but from what I read, Blazers fans only left during the Jail Blazer days.

I've lived in Oregon for 19 years (all my life, minus my military time). The hardcore fans were always there and following the team, but the typical fantends to only follow them when they're doing well. You're right about the only pro team - but A LOT of people were turned off during the "JailBlazer" days you brought up.

Originally Posted by Sriracha Hot Sauce

Warriors, and I'll put my money on that.

Arena is ALWAYS packed, way before the recent success.

negatory. pre-baron davis the arena looked
sick.gif
. only one or twosellouts a year when lakers or kings came to town.

NYKnicks and the Warriors. I didn't know anything about the Warriors fans until last year. Only genuine fans can have an arena exploding the way the Oraclewas against Dallas.

laugh.gif
at everyone saying the Knicks. Geez, I wonder why they still sell out all their games and why that Knicks thread is so long. Call me crazy, but maybeit's because they've been developing a fanbase for the last 60 years in a city with a population of 8 MILLION PEOPLE. NYC also happens to be the mostdensely populated city in the U.S. so the fact that every game is still sold out shouldn't necessarily be viewed as some sort of feat. It's a lotharder for a huge number of Laker and Bulls fans to get to games than almost any NYC resident you can think of. Quick, name a sports franchise in New Yorkwhose fans haven't been frequently labeled as "devoted". Yeah, didn't think so. The truth is that it's a lot easier for fans to fly underthe radar when the team is struggling because chances are the team's gonna be able to round up enough people to fill a stadium in a city that has 8 MILLIONRESIDENTS. There's always going to be more New York sports fans than any other city can claim. Besides having a bigger population than anyone else, NewYork sports have been repeatedly shoved down our throats from the day we were born, which creates a huge fanbase outside of the NY area as well. Why so manypeople so frequently miscontrue an enormous fanbase for being "devoted" I'll never know.

at everyone saying the Knicks. Geez, I wonder why they still sell out all their games and why that Knicks thread is so long. Call me crazy, but maybe it's because they've been developing a fanbase for the last 60 years in a city with a population of 8 MILLION PEOPLE. NYC also happens to be the most densely populated city in the U.S. so the fact that every game is still sold out shouldn't necessarily be viewed as some sort of feat. It's a lot harder for a huge number of Laker and Bulls fans to get to games than almost any NYC resident you can think of. Quick, name a sports franchise in New York whose fans haven't been frequently labeled as "devoted". Yeah, didn't think so. The truth is that it's a lot easier for fans to fly under the radar when the team is struggling because chances are the team's gonna be able to round up enough people to fill a stadium in a city that has 8 MILLION RESIDENTS. There's always going to be more New York sports fans than any other city can claim. Besides having a bigger population than anyone else, New York sports have been repeatedly shoved down our throats from the day we were born, which creates a huge fanbase outside of the NY area as well. Why so many people so frequently miscontrue an enormous fanbase for being "devoted" I'll never know.
Have you actually seen a Knicks game or are you looking at the 2000 census to make your judgements?
New York has always been a hub for basketball so it's no surprise that their fans are devoted.

Originally Posted by jal22588

sick.gif
. only one or two sellouts a year when lakers or kings came to town.

I don't know what your talking about, because the W's ALWAYS had a consistent crowd in the arena. Back when the lower bowl was $24 per seat(LarryHughes, Gilbert Areana, etc) it was always a GREAT crowd for the average product on the floor. W's were playing like the Hawks, but we never had troublepacking the arena with fans. Oakland/Bay Area has very consistent fans. Look at the Oakland Raiders, they are notoriously known for being some of the best fansin the NFL, and we all know the Raiders havent been good in years. Every game might not be soldout, but I know for a FACT that diehard, devoted, loyal fanswere always in the seats in Oakland. This is all from experience, and going to the arena.
And as far as atmosphere and experience, Warriors got to be nearthe top. The energy in that arena is insane. And, the team feeds off it.

If we ever become a championship contender, the arena will be the craziest in sports. BAR NONE.

Originally Posted by Exile On Ivy St

laugh.gif
at everyone saying the Knicks. Geez, I wonder why they still sell out all their games and why that Knicks thread is so long. Call me crazy, but maybe it's because they've been developing a fanbase for the last 60 years in a city with a population of 8 MILLION PEOPLE. NYC also happens to be the most densely populated city in the U.S. so the fact that every game is still sold out shouldn't necessarily be viewed as some sort of feat. It's a lot harder for a huge number of Laker and Bulls fans to get to games than almost any NYC resident you can think of. Quick, name a sports franchise in New York whose fans haven't been frequently labeled as "devoted". Yeah, didn't think so. The truth is that it's a lot easier for fans to fly under the radar when the team is struggling because chances are the team's gonna be able to round up enough people to fill a stadium in a city that has 8 MILLION RESIDENTS. There's always going to be more New York sports fans than any other city can claim. Besides having a bigger population than anyone else, New York sports have been repeatedly shoved down our throats from the day we were born, which creates a huge fanbase outside of the NY area as well. Why so many people so frequently miscontrue an enormous fanbase for being "devoted" I'll never know.

Besides making noise, nobody talks about the Mets (before 2000), Jets, Islanders as being devoted fans.

Rangers, Yankees, Knicks have always had a concrete fanbase.

New York is certainly a hub for basketball, but the fact that ISN'T a hub for football hasn't stopped anyone from proclaiming Jets fans to be insanelydevoted.

Besides making noise, nobody talks about the Mets (before 2000), Jets, Islanders as being devoted fans.
I disagree about the Jets, I've listened to enough NY radio for my entire life to know that Jets fans feel like their situation is unique andthat only fans as devoted as them could understand the pain of living through so much misery. I'm not surprised you listed the Mets because they,shockingly I might add, happen to have a very average fanbase compared to other MLB teams, and that's solely attributed to the Yankees dominance. Who arethe Knicks competing with to achieve that NYC fanbase? Not the Nets. I don't know enough about the NHL to have an opinion on the Islanders' fanbase,but I do know they compete with another franchise in the NYC area and because of it probably have an average fanbse compared to other NHL teams.

Originally Posted by jal22588

sick.gif
. only one or two sellouts a year when lakers or kings came to town.

I don't know what your talking about, because the W's ALWAYS had a consistent crowd in the arena. Back when the lower bowl was $24 per seat(Larry Hughes, Gilbert Areana, etc) it was always a GREAT crowd for the average product on the floor. W's were playing like the Hawks, but we never had trouble packing the arena with fans. Oakland/Bay Area has very consistent fans. Look at the Oakland Raiders, they are notoriously known for being some of the best fans in the NFL, and we all know the Raiders havent been good in years. Every game might not be soldout, but I know for a FACT that diehard, devoted, loyal fans were always in the seats in Oakland. This is all from experience, and going to the arena.
And as far as atmosphere and experience, Warriors got to be near the top. The energy in that arena is insane. And, the team feeds off it.

If we ever become a championship contender, the arena will be the craziest in sports. BAR NONE.

Youre right, the arena wasnt only packed twice a year, the warriors always had a good fanbase even when they sucked. People love basketball here, since wedont have 2 basketball teams like we have 2 football and baseball teams, theyre the only basketball team we can cheer for.

Sriracha Hot Sauce wrote:

Yes, but I remember going to many warriors games and at the beginning of the game the fans would be cheering for the warriors and at the end, the fanswould be cheering for the opposing team. I definitely know it's not Warriors fans. It seems like everybody in the Bay is a Warriors fan now when five yearsago that wasn't the case.

Originally Posted by Exile On Ivy St

laugh.gif

Well, theres about 10 million people in LA county who are able to goto Laker games, and don't say its hard for them to goto games because everyone hasa car and everyone deals with traffic on a daily basis.

Then, on top of that 10 million are people in surrounding counties that aren't even in LA, which is about another 10-20 million who can easily goto aLaker game if they wanted. And when I say easily, im talking about a 1 hr drive, max, which is nothing out here in LA.

Like NY, no matter if the Lakers are good or bad, the games will sell out. Thats how big market teams operate.

not Cavs fans. year "BL" (Before LeBron) there was never anyone in the arena. theyd black out the upper deck in sections cause they were empty. i was still there tho and it was fun because it was so easy to move around to better seats. arena is packed nightly now but i still sit in the best seats in the house.

You're right and wrong belle.

With year BL you're dead on, but I sit in the best seats at the Q.
wink.gif

Edit: It's def. NOT Cavs fans.

Originally Posted by 5dividedby4

Sriracha Hot Sauce wrote:

Yes, but I remember going to many warriors games and at the beginning of the game the fans would be cheering for the warriors and at the end, the fans would be cheering for the opposing team. I definitely know it's not Warriors fans. It seems like everybody in the Bay is a Warriors fan now when five years ago that wasn't the case.

Of course there are gonna be fans of other teams watching. That's unavoidable. I'll agree it seems like everyone is a warrior fan now in the Bay
eyes.gif
, but the diehards have been there forever and don't make the new fans ruin the perception of Warrior fans.

Back
Top Bottom