Moving To Los Angeles - Need Advice

Fellas.. gimmie a breakdown in terms of the perception of all these areas. I want to get a sense of what each area means... like if when you from NYC and you tell someone you from queens they look at you like an alien. I have a feeling I should be able to find spots for the price i have in mind... not 100% sure about santa monica though.I hate the thought of a 1br being like 2000 but a 2br being 3000 for rooms that are the same size pretty much. I don't think its a fair pricing structure but then again I've never built and rented out an apartment building.

By perception I mean. What do people think when you hear that area, whats going on in these areas, is there good food-shopping-etc in these areas, is it safe, what type of people are in these areas.

mar vista -
santa monica -
brentwood -
west hwood -
pico -
culver city -
century city -

Last edited:
Fellas.. gimmie a breakdown in terms of the perception of all these areas. I want to get a sense of what each area means... like if when you from NYC and you tell someone you from queens they look at you like an alien. I have a feeling I should be able to find spots for the price i have in mind... not 100% sure about santa monica though.I hate the thought of a 1br being like 2000 but a 2br being 3000 for rooms that are the same size pretty much. I don't think its a fair pricing structure but then again I've never built and rented out an apartment building.

By perception I mean. What do people think when you hear that area, whats going on in these areas, is there good food-shopping-etc in these areas, is it safe, what type of people are in these areas.

mar vista -
santa monica -
brentwood -
west hwood -
pico -
culver city -
century city -

when i think Santa Monica, i'm thinking older people with good money. West Hollywood is a lot of gay people and they can be mad extra at times but it's definitely a cool area, close to everything...Culver City is cool...if i was in your situation, i would look into a nice studio in Venice for a year and see how it goes...you definitely wanna stay on the Westside and being in that area is pretty cool...a lot of tourist come through Venice so it's always new people to meet and the atmosphere is mad relaxed...it'll help you get a good feel on the LA lifestyle...a lot of good restaurants in the area...like peeps said, you don't wanna deal with the traffic, kinda makes me glad i don't have a car anymore :lol:...

honestly, LA is like it's own continent with little countries inside of it...every area has it's own personality and perceptions...like i said, Venice sounds like the best option in your case...and this is LA, there will ALWAYS be somewhere to play basketball :lol:

and yeah, find someplace with parking...coming home from work and not being able to find a spot to park will absolutely murder your mood...another reason i'm glad i don't have a car...

Last edited:
Don't even consider moving East of DTLA (Downtown LA). If you do, even though geographically it's a short distance 16-18 miles, it will take you an hour+ to get to work, :x.

I'm not a big fan of the westside, just never been, way too dense and crowded. If I were to move near the beach, it would be to the beach cities/south bay (hermosa, manhattan, redondo, etc). The one reason I can see you liking the westside is that there are more transplants in that vicinity, good and bad thing. South Bay tends to have more natives, IMO.

$2k will give you a lot of options, is having a roommate an option?

Definitely need a car, exploring this city and all it's quirks... :smokin

mar vista -
santa monica -
brentwood -
west hwood -
pico -
culver city -
century city -

Santa Monica- "Oh you live by the beach?"
Brentwood- If you are young: "Do you live with your parents or are you renting someones guest/pool house?"
West Hollywood - "Do you have a boyfriend?"
Culver City - "So is it West LA or not?"
Century City - "Didn't know people lived there, thought it was just office buildings and a mall?"

Pretty much. It's different out here, in many good ways.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom