My Gay Friends: Please stop comparing your plight to civil rights.

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

This my struggle is better than yours mentality a lot of minority NTers have is so self-defeating. Because your ancestors (NOT YOU) suffered to open the doors for other civil rights movements means gay people need to be hosed down and chased by dogs in 2011.

We're talking about America, no one in here wants to know what happens to gay people in third world countries.

Nah, it doesn't mean that. You're an intelligent guy so let's not play stupid and start simplifying everything to help our arguments. You know better and antics like this do nothing to help each side come closer to understanding each other's point of view which is what this discussion should be about.

My opinion is that it is offensive to African Americans to equate one struggle with the other. They are not the same. To suggest they are undermines the hard work it took to get where we are today. Obviously the GLT community has suffered, but not to the degree in this country that African Americans have. Does that make their struggle for human rights any less significant? No.

Does it mean that African Americans had it worse and are somehow superior? No.

This isn't a "my struggle is better than your struggle mentality". I, for one, am not celebrating or taking pride in the injustices faced by my people. And I don't like to say ancestors, because my grandfather didn't die that long ago and he had to put up with all of the $%!$ we're talking about. That gimmick of placing the civil rights movement of African Americans back hundereds of years ago is tired. The movement isn't even 100 years old, it's 67 years old. Hell, my father was around for it. My perspective comes from men like him and my grandfather who had to live through the struggle.

Once again, I AM ALL FOR GLTB RIGHTS. I support their fight and think that everyone should have the right to be with and marry whoever they want to.

Anton you love to point out the differences in your culture (Ibo, I think) and African American culture. How would you feel if all African Americans started saying that their problems are like those faced by your people in their home country or that we are the same or just generalizing for the sake of simplification?

You have yourself admitted that members of your family don't view themselves as black Americans and take issue with black people trying to identify with them. Do you understand why your family feels that way whether you agree or not? If so, transfer that want for distinction to the struggles of my father and grandfather and don't put me in the ignorant category because I don't want my history glossed over for the benefit of a group stuggling for equality.
what are you really trying to say then? 
laugh.gif

You said it was in your opinion that this is offensive to ALL African Americans.  That to me says "Since this usage of the civil rights movements of African-Americans as a platform for Gays is not right in my opinion, I will speak on all of their behalf and say my feelings and sentiments are shared by them as well."  

No it isn't.

This my struggle is better than yours mentality a lot of minority NTers have is so self-defeating. Because your ancestors (NOT YOU) suffered to open the doors for other civil rights movements means gay people need to be hosed down and chased by dogs in 2011.

We're talking about America, no one in here wants to know what happens to gay people in third world countries.

Nah, it doesn't mean that. You're an intelligent guy so let's not play stupid and start simplifying everything to help our arguments. You know better and antics like this do nothing to help each side come closer to understanding each other's point of view which is what this discussion should be about.

My opinion is that it is offensive to African Americans to equate one struggle with the other. They are not the same. To suggest they are undermines the hard work it took to get where we are today. Obviously the GLT community has suffered, but not to the degree in this country that African Americans have. Does that make their struggle for human rights any less significant? No.

This isn't a "my struggle is better than your struggle mentality". I, for one, am not celebrating or taking pride in the injustices faced by my people. And I don't like to say ancestors, because my grandfather didn't die that long ago and he had to put up with all of the $%!$ we're talking about. That gimmick of placing the civil rights movement of African Americans back hundereds of years ago is tired. The movement isn't even 100 years old, it's 67 years old. Hell, my father was around for it. My perspective comes from men like him and my grandfather who had to live through the struggle.

Once again, I AM ALL FOR GLTB RIGHTS. I support their fight and think that everyone should have the right to be with and marry whoever they want to.

Anton you love to point out the differences in your culture (Ibo, I think) and African American culture. How would you feel if all African Americans started saying that their problems are like those faced by your people in their home country or that we are the same or just generalizing for the sake of simplification?

You have yourself admitted that members of your family don't view themselves as black Americans and take issue with black people trying to identify with them. Do you understand why your family feels that way whether you agree or not? If so, transfer that want for distinction to the struggles of my father and grandfather and don't put me in the ignorant category because I don't want my history glossed over for the benefit of a group stuggling for equality.

Look the only reason many (not all) black people don't like being compared to the homosexual struggle is because a  lot of them are homophobes as well.....so right back at ya don't play stupid with me as well. Not saying ALL but many do feel this way, I've heard it expressed first hand.

Irony, didn't Martin Luther King himself use another struggle as inspiration for the civil rights movement? So its ok for him to do it, but its not ok for another group to do so with African Americans....or maybe specifically homosexuals cause that's embarrassing and it stains the movement. No one is saying the struggles are the same, they're simply saying the ignorance is exactly the same. Gays weren't slaves in this country, gays didn't go through the middle passage, gays weren't stripped from their home land and made to work like cattle....no one is going to take away that piece of history and if another group conjures up history to make sure it DOES NOT repeat itself. I am COMPLETELY FINE with it.

Furthermore, a lot of black people actively being against gay civil rights is HYPOCRISY. Whether you like to admit it or not. In fact this is the only reason why this comparison keeps being brought up.

Look the only reason many (not all) black people don't like being compared to the homosexual struggle is because a  lot of them are homophobes as well.....so right back at ya don't play stupid with me as well. Not saying ALL but many do feel this way, I've heard it expressed first hand.

Irony, didn't Martin Luther King himself use another struggle as inspiration for the civil rights movement? So its ok for him to do it, but its not ok for another group to do so with African Americans....or maybe specifically homosexuals cause that's embarrassing and it stains the movement. No one is saying the struggles are the same, they're simply saying the ignorance is exactly the same. Gays weren't slaves in this country, gays didn't go through the middle passage, gays weren't stripped from their home land and made to work like cattle....no one is going to take away that piece of history and if another group conjures up history to make sure it DOES NOT repeat itself. I am COMPLETELY FINE with it.

Furthermore, a lot of black people actively being against gay civil rights is HYPOCRISY. Whether you like to admit it or not. In fact this is the only reason why this comparison keeps being brought up.

Originally Posted by staystrong

James Earl Zones wrote:Wr wrote:TennHouse2 wrote:so are u saying gay people arent being discriminated against too, they arent getting beat to death? they arent getting sodomized and hung on fences? they arent getting turned away from jobs because there gay? its so lame to try and turn this into a we had it worse pissing contest, instead of helping out the rights of everyone 

It was individuals discriminating against gays. It was official government policy to kill and hunt down blacks. We weren't even considered a full human being. We were classified as a sub human species. When have gay people ever fallen under such nomenclature?http://en.wikipedia.org/w..._Anti-Homosexuality_Bill

Or do you just want specifically in the US?

u can still hide being gay and survive and be sucessful
police wont search and gay person to see if they got warrents or check there body for gang tattoes or find some reason to put u in jail im sorry if i got people mad but we as blacks ( with a black president ) are still tring to survive and make things equal
The point were trying to make is that they shouldn't have to hide being gay...from what you said ur agreeing that if someone realizes there gay they go through discrimination too..and how are we still trying to survive and make things equal? make things equal for who? how are u gonna say were trying to make things equal while at the same time oppressing someone else 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by Wr

Underlined, highlighted and bolded for emphasis.

This my struggle is better than yours mentality a lot of minority NTers have is so self-defeating. People completely ignore the purpose of civil rights movements when it doen't benefit them directly. Selfish****
30t6p3b.gif
Because your ancestors (NOT YOU) suffered to open the doors for other civil rights movements means gay people need to be hosed down and chased by dogs in 2011.

30t6p3b.gif
If you understand the concept of ancestors and the God's of your native Igbo people like you say in other threads, do you not realize the core principle of the ancestral religions/ worship is that you are your ancestors. Separation is the illusion of the trickster dieties/ forces or satan like we were talking about in your other thread. That's why he always has a staff, to cut you off from your connection and understanding and to only identify with your ego/ current self since you now think you are so different from them.
just straying from the path of the discussion and following your train of thought:

you don't think you have any gay ancestors?
From my understanding of spirituality, that level of existence is beyond gender. In the flesh we are incarnated and dived into polarities of male and female.(Why adam was able to be split into his male polarity and eve a female polarity. from my perspective they were able to pull eve out of adam because adam was created as a balanced being between male and female.) I believe in people having a connection with the feeling of both sexes of their spirit, but it is wrong to translate that emotion to other people in the physical if you or them do not understand the matters of the spirit and the soul, and the journey it is on. That is why I really think it's dangerous for people to deal with homosexuality with out understanding the basis for it in them in the first place.
Basically, homosexuality is yet another symptom of the flesh for a confused, or uninformed spirit.

Originally Posted by Wr

Underlined, highlighted and bolded for emphasis.

This my struggle is better than yours mentality a lot of minority NTers have is so self-defeating. People completely ignore the purpose of civil rights movements when it doen't benefit them directly. Selfish****
30t6p3b.gif
Because your ancestors (NOT YOU) suffered to open the doors for other civil rights movements means gay people need to be hosed down and chased by dogs in 2011.

30t6p3b.gif
If you understand the concept of ancestors and the God's of your native Igbo people like you say in other threads, do you not realize the core principle of the ancestral religions/ worship is that you are your ancestors. Separation is the illusion of the trickster dieties/ forces or satan like we were talking about in your other thread. That's why he always has a staff, to cut you off from your connection and understanding and to only identify with your ego/ current self since you now think you are so different from them.
just straying from the path of the discussion and following your train of thought:

From my understanding of spirituality, that level of existence is beyond gender. In the flesh we are incarnated and dived into polarities of male and female.(Why adam was able to be split into his male polarity and eve a female polarity. from my perspective they were able to pull eve out of adam because adam was created as a balanced being between male and female.) I believe in people having a connection with the feeling of both sexes of their spirit, but it is wrong to translate that emotion to other people in the physical if you or them do not understand the matters of the spirit and the soul, and the journey it is on. That is why I really think it's dangerous for people to deal with homosexuality with out understanding the basis for it in them in the first place.
Basically, homosexuality is yet another symptom of the flesh for a confused, or uninformed spirit.

James Earl Zones wrote:Wr wrote:TennHouse2 wrote:so are u saying gay people arent being discriminated against too, they arent getting beat to death? they arent getting sodomized and hung on fences? they arent getting turned away from jobs because there gay? its so lame to try and turn this into a we had it worse pissing contest, instead of helping out the rights of everyone 

It was individuals discriminating against gays. It was official government policy to kill and hunt down blacks. We weren't even considered a full human being. We were classified as a sub human species. When have gay people ever fallen under such nomenclature?http://en.wikipedia.org/w..._Anti-Homosexuality_Bill

police wont search and gay person to see if they got warrents or check there body for gang tattoes or find some reason to put u in jail im sorry if i got people mad but we as blacks ( with a black president ) are still tring to survive and make things equal
The point were trying to make is that they shouldn't have to hide being gay...from what you said ur agreeing that if someone realizes there gay they go through discrimination too..and how are we still trying to survive and make things equal? make things equal for who? how are u gonna say were trying to make things equal while at the same time oppressing someone else 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Wr

Originally Posted by Wr

If you understand the concept of ancestors and the God's of your native Igbo people like you say in other threads, do you not realize the core principle of the ancestral religions/ worship is that you are your ancestors. Separation is the illusion of the trickster dieties/ forces or satan like we were talking about in your other thread. That's why he always has a staff, to cut you off from your connection and understanding. 
Aite ok buddy, nice try trying to trivialize this. This is about right and wrong, you can use as many metaphors as you can come up with and it still doesn't change the fact. I have nothing to lose by letting gay people live their damn lives and I have no right to take anything away from them. I live through my ancestors....good sh$ homie now back to the topic at hand.
There you go playing stupid again. You pulling the Bill o'rielly x Lupe the way he switched up and started playing for Obama to make Lupe look bad. You just said in the other thread that you believe more in the Gods of the Igbo people over the judeochristian God. I bring that back up and you call it "good sh$" or "nice trying to trivialize this".  Get over yourself dude. You can't win in every single thread. Especially since people are not trying to compete with you. Just going over the info.

I said I would be "MORE INCLINED"...didn't say I believed it to be fact. Read. I said that because if I were to chose a God which one am I supposed to choose? And to highlight the fact that there are many dead, irrelevant Gods who are today considered pagan and devil worship.....read. And what exactly does this have to do with this topic?

tumblr_lgieu7GhNR1qacinzo1_500.gif

These 'we had it worse' pissing contests never get old and somehow always shock me. It isn't a competition. There are no rewards for the varying levels of injustices. It takes a special kind of moron to try to bogart all of the persecution.

It's odd that I am still always shocked by this despite the fact that the African American community is so homophobic.

Originally Posted by Wr

Originally Posted by Wr

If you understand the concept of ancestors and the God's of your native Igbo people like you say in other threads, do you not realize the core principle of the ancestral religions/ worship is that you are your ancestors. Separation is the illusion of the trickster dieties/ forces or satan like we were talking about in your other thread. That's why he always has a staff, to cut you off from your connection and understanding. 
Aite ok buddy, nice try trying to trivialize this. This is about right and wrong, you can use as many metaphors as you can come up with and it still doesn't change the fact. I have nothing to lose by letting gay people live their damn lives and I have no right to take anything away from them. I live through my ancestors....good sh$ homie now back to the topic at hand.
There you go playing stupid again. You pulling the Bill o'rielly x Lupe the way he switched up and started playing for Obama to make Lupe look bad. You just said in the other thread that you believe more in the Gods of the Igbo people over the judeochristian God. I bring that back up and you call it "good sh$" or "nice trying to trivialize this".  Get over yourself dude. You can't win in every single thread. Especially since people are not trying to compete with you. Just going over the info.

I said I would be "MORE INCLINED"...didn't say I believed it to be fact. Read. I said that because if I were to chose a God which one am I supposed to choose? And to highlight the fact that there are many dead, irrelevant Gods who are today considered pagan and devil worship.....read. And what exactly does this have to do with this topic?

tumblr_lgieu7GhNR1qacinzo1_500.gif

These 'we had it worse' pissing contests never get old and somehow always shock me. It isn't a competition. There are no rewards for the varying levels of injustices. It takes a special kind of moron to try to bogart all of the persecution.

It's odd that I am still always shocked by this despite the fact that the African American community is so homophobic.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

You said it was in your opinion that this is offensive to ALL African Americans.  That to me says "Since this usage of the civil rights movements of African-Americans as a platform for Gays is not right in my opinion, I will speak on all of their behalf and say my feelings and sentiments are shared by them as well."  
No it isn't.

I did? Where?

Show me...

While you waste your time looking for something that doesn't exist, I'll clarify. I didn't say "ALL". I'm speaking in general and I don't speak for all. There are apparently some (looking through this thread) who feel the same way I do.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

No it isn't.

I did? Where?

Show me...

While you waste your time looking for something that doesn't exist, I'll clarify. I didn't say "ALL". I'm speaking in general and I don't speak for all. There are apparently some (looking through this thread) who feel the same way I do.

Irony, didn't Martin Luther King himself use another struggle as inspiration for the civil rights movement? So its ok for him to do it, but its not ok for another group to do so with African Americans...
completely different
30t6p3b.gif

Gandhi and the Indians werent gay, though. 

I'm black too fam, I understand completely. I'm not mad at your opinion by any means.

It's not just black people that get the treatment you specified. It's all minorities, as well as some white people.

The thing is gay people face the same %!*% we do. They shouldn't HAVE to hide who they are to be successful. They're still trying to survive and make things equal just like we are. We have a half black president, do any of you think we'll ever see a homosexual president? Or at least an openly homosexual one
laugh.gif

The fact that I'm black in America (in ++%+!%% VA
30t6p3b.gif
), I've seen what happens when a cop rolls up on a car of 2 or 3 black guys. I've been cuffed off suspicion. I've been followed around stores. But I'll never let that take away from another group of people struggling for equality. A close friend of mine was basically disowned by her family because she loves another woman. But it's okay because homosexuality is wrong..

Just like there are people who call us %%$@$+! and spades and jungle bunnies, there are people who openly call homosexuals **@$, %++@#, fudge packers, and anything else they can think of. It's all ridiculous. Let these homosexuals cook.

I'm black too fam, I understand completely. I'm not mad at your opinion by any means.

It's not just black people that get the treatment you specified. It's all minorities, as well as some white people.

The thing is gay people face the same %!*% we do. They shouldn't HAVE to hide who they are to be successful. They're still trying to survive and make things equal just like we are. We have a half black president, do any of you think we'll ever see a homosexual president? Or at least an openly homosexual one
laugh.gif

The fact that I'm black in America (in ++%+!%% VA
30t6p3b.gif
), I've seen what happens when a cop rolls up on a car of 2 or 3 black guys. I've been cuffed off suspicion. I've been followed around stores. But I'll never let that take away from another group of people struggling for equality. A close friend of mine was basically disowned by her family because she loves another woman. But it's okay because homosexuality is wrong..

Just like there are people who call us %%$@$+! and spades and jungle bunnies, there are people who openly call homosexuals **@$, %++@#, fudge packers, and anything else they can think of. It's all ridiculous. Let these homosexuals cook.

Irony, didn't Martin Luther King himself use another struggle as inspiration for the civil rights movement? So its ok for him to do it, but its not ok for another group to do so with African Americans...
completely different
30t6p3b.gif

Inspiration is one thing, equating is another.

Inspiration is one thing, equating is another.

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Qualifying wrongs as better or worse is just as lame. Both are unjust; marriage equality is no less of a social ill than any other civil right. Make inroads to solve them instead of drawing comparisons or qualifications.
this was the very first response to the original post... and i dare say even when this reaches 30+ pages it will be the best.  well said, sir.
No
indifferent.gif
.  If you have a ship with a few holes in it, which hole do you plug first?  The big gaping one, or the smaller one?  Or do you say, "Hey, since they're both holes, it wouldn't be beneficial to determine which one I should plug (pause) first?".

And to avoid any confusion with my metaphor:
ship=America
holes= problems that America deals with

Originally Posted by proper english

completely different
30t6p3b.gif

Ding ding ding ding!!!!!!!!!......and this brings us back to the REAL issue. Y'all can beat around the bush all you want, still doesn't make you look any less like the bigots you hate so much.

Originally Posted by proper english

completely different
30t6p3b.gif

Ding ding ding ding!!!!!!!!!......and this brings us back to the REAL issue. Y'all can beat around the bush all you want, still doesn't make you look any less like the bigots you hate so much.

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Qualifying wrongs as better or worse is just as lame. Both are unjust; marriage equality is no less of a social ill than any other civil right. Make inroads to solve them instead of drawing comparisons or qualifications.
this was the very first response to the original post... and i dare say even when this reaches 30+ pages it will be the best.  well said, sir.
No
indifferent.gif
.  If you have a ship with a few holes in it, which hole do you plug first?  The big gaping one, or the smaller one?  Or do you say, "Hey, since they're both holes, it wouldn't be beneficial to determine which one I should plug (pause) first?".

And to avoid any confusion with my metaphor:
ship=America
holes= problems that America deals with

Originally Posted by Wr

Originally Posted by Wr

so you justify outlawing gay marriage because of a hypothethical philosophy you yourself believe in, that may or may not be true, and may not apply to anyone else?

Originally Posted by Wr

Originally Posted by Wr

so you justify outlawing gay marriage because of a hypothethical philosophy you yourself believe in, that may or may not be true, and may not apply to anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom