NASA TO BOMB MOON ON FRIDAY TO SEARCH FOR WATER vol are you !#!$+@@ kidding me?

Originally Posted by Smedroc

uchiha Mardara work for nasa now???
smh.gif

son tryna get his eye of the moon plan poppin by obtaining the jyuubi!....its a wrizzy
tired.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

NASA's strike on the moon worked...

(CNN) -- NASA said Friday's rocket and satellite strike on the moon was a success, kicking up enough dust for scientists to determine whether or not there is water on the moon.

An artist's rendering shows the LCROSS spacecraft, left, separating from its Centaur rocket.

"We have the data we need to actually address the questions we set out to address," said Anthony Colaprete, principal investigator for the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, or LCROSS, mission.

It will be awhile before all the data from the satellite can be analyzed to determine if there is water on the moon, according to LCROSS project manager Dan Andrews.

Andrews said that "the spacecraft performed beautifully."

NASA crashed the rocket and a satellite into the moon's surface on Friday morning in a $79 million mission.

NASA televised live images of the LCROSS as it crashed into a crater near the moon's south pole. Watch as NASA reacts to "successful" crash »

Minutes before its impact, the satellite guided a rocket into the Cabeus crater in an effort to kick up enough dust to help the LCROSS find whether there is any water in the moon's soil.

Don't Miss
Follow Friday: Twitter's take on lunar crashes
Scientists discover massive ring around Saturn
NASA: Small amounts of water in lunar soil
The Centaur upper-stage rocket impacted the moon shortly after 7:30 a.m. ET, and the satellite followed it four minutes later.

The LCROSS carried spectrometers, near-infrared cameras, a visible camera and a visible radiometer to help NASA scientists analyze the resulting plumes of dust -- more than 250 metric tons' worth -- for water vapor.

But immediate NASA images of the crash produced no sign of the plumes, which were expected to rise six kilometers from the moon's surface, said John Marmie, LCROSS deputy project manager.

"Everyone was like, 'What's happening here?' " Marmie said. "But that doesn't mean we don't have good data there."

Observatories on Earth did confirm they saw plumes after the crashes, Marmie said. Watch as a mission official explains the importance of finding water »

The orbiting Hubble Space Telescope and NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter photographed the impacts. Meanwhile, hundreds of telescopes on Earth focused on the moon, hoping to catch a glimpse of two plumes.

The Cabeus crater lies in permanent shadow, making observations inside the crater difficult.

NASA Deputy Administrator Lori Garver, who watched at a public event at the Newseum in Washington, noted the great interest in the NASA mission.

"We had families ... literally coming in off the street" to watch, Garver said on NASA TV. iReport: Did you watch?

NASA had encouraged amateur astronomers to join the watch parties.

"We expect the debris plumes to be visible through midsized backyard telescopes -- 10 inches and larger," said Brian Day at NASA's Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, California, before the strike. Day is an amateur astronomer who is leading education and public outreach for the LCROSS mission.

Ames -- which led the mission -- hosted an all-night event featuring music and food before the broadcast of NASA's live transmission of the lunar impact.

Other science observatories and amateur astronomy clubs across the country hosted similar events. Watch CNN's Jeanne Moos ask if lunacy is behind the moon "bombing" »

"The initial explosions will probably be hidden behind crater walls, but the plumes will rise high enough above the crater's rim to be seen from Earth," Day said.

Data from previous space missions have revealed trace amounts of water in lunar soil. The LCROSS mission seeks a definitive answer to the question of how much water is present. NASA has said it believes water on the moon could be a valuable resource in the agency's quest to explore the solar system.

LCROSS launched with the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter aboard an Atlas V rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida, on June 18.

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by Smedroc

uchiha Mardara work for nasa now???
smh.gif

son tryna get his eye of the moon plan poppin by obtaining the jyuubi!....its a wrizzy
tired.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Son I didn't even read the past 2 chapters of Naruto
laugh.gif

SMH@ an anime spoiler being found in some random NASA thread.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by quik1987

What happened?

The only thing that has happened is that many NTers look like idiots.
laugh.gif
irony
Grammar on a message board?
I saw this coming after I posted.
eyes.gif

I'm an engineering major. Cut me some slack.
NT never ceases to amaze me.
Cut you some slack after you just said, "many NTers look like idiots"?

OK buddy.
laugh.gif

People seriously thought a small rocket was going to destroy the moon or knock it off it's axis??
laugh.gif
Do people not realize the moon is really big?Like... it's circumference is more than 10,000km
ohwell.gif

Now they gotta blow off more chinks of the moon
to see just how much more water is actually there.

Originally Posted by Whateversclever

Originally Posted by mYKiCkZArEaG21

people... there crashing a space ship into it with a mini bomb... 90% of telscopes wont even be able to see it.... this is all because INDIAs space programs got scans of water on the surace of the moon last month... its not going to affect us in anyway... u wont even notice... stop acting like there gonna nuke the moon... its like crashin a car in a mountin just going a couple thousand miles an hour.... the funniest thing that i heard about this so far is WOMEN PROTESTING THAT IF THEY DO GO THRU WITH THE CRASH ITS GOING TO AFFECT THERE MENSTRAL CYCLE LOL... the things people think of... this is the same thing just like when they tried to make tiny black holes in france last year... nothing happend... the world didnt get sucked up or anything... so relax..... WE ALL DIEING 2012 ANYWAY LMAO
its a rocket... not a "mini bomb" rockets are self propelled by an engine.. what if the rocket keeps on pushing the moon out of orbit? then were %$@%**
and where did you get 90% from. stop making up things
no its not like crashing a car into the moon, the moon is so much smaller than the earth, and the mass of the moon 7.347 x 1022 KG, (0.012 3 earth) less than 1% mass... its not the same thing
the rocket will be going at 9,000 Km per hour... the blast is going to be strong enough to kick debris 6 miles into space...

please go get an education, before you try to kick knowledge

#1.. it is a mini bomb... a 2 ton mini bomb.... it will be located in the space craft... Exploding a bomb on themoon will displace several miles of Lunar material according to what NASA claims will happen (NASA Friday reported that, asplanned, the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS), broke apart and crashed into the lunar surface at 1.5 miles per second, causing twinimpacts.)... thats like crashin a car with a bomb in it into a mountin at the same speed... same thing would happen.... the 90%part is FROM THE NEWS... THEY SED IT... 90% of people with telescopes COULD NOT SEE IT!!! i beenknew about this happening since the indian space program made the find... so please dont act like you know everything when ur just typing what your hear (WECALL THOSES BANDWAGON HOPPERS) while i follow the current events fam'ron..... next time just be nice about it....
tired.gif

freakydestroyer:
Stop wasting money on useless crap
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

I'm not sure there are too many people on this particular board who can say 'Stop wasting money on useless crap' without beinghypocritical.

I know I can't.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

freakydestroyer:
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
I'm not sure there are too many people on this particular board who can say 'Stop wasting money on useless crap' without being hypocritical.

I know I can't.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Point. Well stop wasting millions on useless crap
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RKO2004

freakydestroyer:
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
I'm not sure there are too many people on this particular board who can say 'Stop wasting money on useless crap' without being hypocritical.

I know I can't.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif

And put those millions into education so kids can learn that A ROCKET CAN'T PUSH THE !@#$%^^^@!# MOON!

I think they messed it up for sure! A couple of days ago the moon was big and bright. Tonight it looks a little bit darker and not full.

My gripe with this situation is:

1. The waste of money without doing more extensive research, and why the hell do people feel the needto bomb something, its kinda ******ed if you ask me.

2. If by doing this we cause possible life like ameobas and single celled organisms to die that may live in said water or might form one day.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

1. The waste of money without doing more extensive research, and why the hell do people feel the needto bomb something, its kinda ******ed if you ask me.

2. If by doing this we cause possible life like ameobas and single celled organisms to die that may live in said water or might form one day.
blowing things up is cool, I to this day still enjoy it.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Originally Posted by RKO2004

freakydestroyer:
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

I know I can't.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif
And put those millions into education so kids can learn that A ROCKET CAN'T PUSH THE !@#$%^^^@!# MOON!

laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

A lot of people here are really talking out of their you know what...most of you don't know the first thing when it comes to NASA, space, or astronomy andshockingly basic science/logic...but yapping like you know what your are saying and going on about idiotic things like
"The waste of money without doing more extensive research"
"put those millions into education so kids can learn that A ROCKET CAN'T PUSH THE !@#$%^^^@!# MOON! "
"what if the rocket keeps on pushing the moon out of orbit? "

etc etc etc

If you don't know much about a subject, ask or go read about it. Don't just start talking...

Originally Posted by kash55

A lot of people here are really talking out of their you know what...most of you don't know the first thing when it comes to NASA, space, or astronomy and shockingly basic science/logic...but yapping like you know what your are saying and going on about idiotic things like
"The waste of money without doing more extensive research"
"put those millions into education so kids can learn that A ROCKET CAN'T PUSH THE !@#$%^^^@!# MOON! "
"what if the rocket keeps on pushing the moon out of orbit? "

etc etc etc

If you don't know much about a subject, ask or go read about it. Don't just start talking...
15734.gif

IRELAND!!!!! DO YOU SPEAK IT!!!!

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

blowing things up is cool, I to this day still enjoy it.
worldpolice.gif

And I was saying to myself the other day, 'When the hell are we going to search for water on the moon?
smh.gif
'

Back
Top Bottom