NBA Draft Thread 2011

You can't use Ty Lawson against Kahn. If you did that, you'd have to use Ty Lawson against nearly every GM in the league. No one saw the impact he could have at his height given how conservatively he was used at the college level. Karl and the Nuggets simply lucked out on that one. 

I mean, in retrospect, it was a terrible trade. Maybe at first it was good value, but not now that you know who the players are.

I mean, in retrospect, it was a terrible trade. Maybe at first it was good value, but not now that you know who the players are.

Who could Kahn have picked of quality at #16 last year though?

Here was 16-26 (guys on the board that were good enough to pick when the Timberwolves were up).

Luke Babbitt
Kevin Seraphin
Eric Bledsoe
Avery Bradley
James Anderson
Craig Brackins
Elliot Williams
Trevor Booker
Damion James
Dominique Jones
Quincy Pondexter

I'll still defend that and call a good trade at the time in 2009, because there was no way for him to know the talent was going to be THAT bad. He at least knew well enough not to take any of those bums and trade for a serviceable guy in Martell Webster.

Here was 16-26 (guys on the board that were good enough to pick when the Timberwolves were up).

Luke Babbitt
Kevin Seraphin
Eric Bledsoe
Avery Bradley
James Anderson
Craig Brackins
Elliot Williams
Trevor Booker
Damion James
Dominique Jones
Quincy Pondexter

I'll still defend that and call a good trade at the time in 2009, because there was no way for him to know the talent was going to be THAT bad. He at least knew well enough not to take any of those bums and trade for a serviceable guy in Martell Webster.

I guess my point is that I bet they wish they had kept Lawson.

Obviously, it made sense to trade him after drafting Rubio and Flynn, but it all could have been handled differently.

I guess my point is that I bet they wish they had kept Lawson.

Obviously, it made sense to trade him after drafting Rubio and Flynn, but it all could have been handled differently.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Eric Bledsoe
Bledsoe is about it, and no one could have seen that coming. Kahn picking Rubio and Flynn was bloody awful, though, and that's the origin of his legacy. Even you have to admit that was deplorable. Drafting the best possible is one thing, but picking Flynn is another.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Eric Bledsoe
Bledsoe is about it, and no one could have seen that coming. Kahn picking Rubio and Flynn was bloody awful, though, and that's the origin of his legacy. Even you have to admit that was deplorable. Drafting the best possible is one thing, but picking Flynn is another.

What he should have done instead of taking PGs back-to-back at #5 and #6... was take:

Rubio #5
Derozan #6
Maynor/Lawson/Collison #18
Trade #28

So you backed yourself at #18 with a PG in case Rubio didn't come (which he didn't), and you also acquire a quality SG in Demar Derzoan.

Soooooo why the hell didn't they do that? Why did Kahn NEED to do the back-to-back PG bit?

That's my biggest gripe with him.

What he should have done instead of taking PGs back-to-back at #5 and #6... was take:

Rubio #5
Derozan #6
Maynor/Lawson/Collison #18
Trade #28

So you backed yourself at #18 with a PG in case Rubio didn't come (which he didn't), and you also acquire a quality SG in Demar Derzoan.

Soooooo why the hell didn't they do that? Why did Kahn NEED to do the back-to-back PG bit?

That's my biggest gripe with him.

^I thought Derozan and Brewer were too alike. Very athletic but shooting was suspect for us to take.

And plus let's look at who these guys are being coached by. Would Lawson be the player he is in Detroit ? To me yeah it's fun to look back and said this team messed up but everyone knows it's the guys around him, the coach, and system that makes the player who they are.

As far as Kahn yeah that's going to stick with him but if Flynn goes somewhere and becomes an average pg and Rubio is an all-star player who helps turns around this franchise with Love, Beasley, and Wes who is going to really care about that draft. Yall know Wolves fans won't.

^I thought Derozan and Brewer were too alike. Very athletic but shooting was suspect for us to take.

And plus let's look at who these guys are being coached by. Would Lawson be the player he is in Detroit ? To me yeah it's fun to look back and said this team messed up but everyone knows it's the guys around him, the coach, and system that makes the player who they are.

As far as Kahn yeah that's going to stick with him but if Flynn goes somewhere and becomes an average pg and Rubio is an all-star player who helps turns around this franchise with Love, Beasley, and Wes who is going to really care about that draft. Yall know Wolves fans won't.

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

He fooled them into not trading him for Amare, and possibly getting LeBron to stay in Cleveland.
Apart from that, he hasn't done much else.

Stop it. Amare was never on the table for Hickson
laugh.gif
he might of been you never know. Amare was on the trading block the last few years
suns knew they weren't going to give him a fully guaranteed contract and that there was a huge possibility that he would leave. who knows

i remember reading an article saying that lebron wanted Antoine Walker instead of Amare because he spread the floor more lol. If so that was sabotage on lebron's part and stupidity on the cavs org by listening to lebron so much like he's a GM

He fooled them into not trading him for Amare, and possibly getting LeBron to stay in Cleveland.

laugh.gif
he might of been you never know. Amare was on the trading block the last few years
suns knew they weren't going to give him a fully guaranteed contract and that there was a huge possibility that he would leave. who knows

i remember reading an article saying that lebron wanted Antoine Walker instead of Amare because he spread the floor more lol. If so that was sabotage on lebron's part and stupidity on the cavs org by listening to lebron so much like he's a GM

Originally Posted by DubA169

laugh.gif

I hope you meant Antawn Jamison 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by DubA169

laugh.gif

I hope you meant Antawn Jamison 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Haven't read the thread, but just had this thought, don't know if someone else had it already..I think Cavs should take Derrick Williams at #1...

Reason being is that if you take Kyrie at #1.. It is likely that Williams then Kanter are #2 and kind of leaves you hindered because the rest of the top 10 are either PG's or not so great..

With Derrick Willaims at #1... Kyrie may still be available at #4.. Unless the T'Wolves draft him because I don't see the Jazz doing it seeing as they already have someone at PG.. But if Kyrie is gone you still have the opportunity for either Kemba or Brendan Knight..

#JustSaying

Haven't read the thread, but just had this thought, don't know if someone else had it already..I think Cavs should take Derrick Williams at #1...

Reason being is that if you take Kyrie at #1.. It is likely that Williams then Kanter are #2 and kind of leaves you hindered because the rest of the top 10 are either PG's or not so great..

With Derrick Willaims at #1... Kyrie may still be available at #4.. Unless the T'Wolves draft him because I don't see the Jazz doing it seeing as they already have someone at PG.. But if Kyrie is gone you still have the opportunity for either Kemba or Brendan Knight..

#JustSaying

Kyrie wont be there at 4... no way

but Brandon Knight is a good alternative @4
I love Tristan as much as anyone but he's not a safe pick...

most NBA ready IMO

1. DW

2. Jimmer

3. Kemba

4. Knight

5. Kyrie

I put Brandon over Kyrie simply because Brandon made it through a whole NCAA season last year. 

That rookie wall around game 40 is a tall one.

Kyrie wont be there at 4... no way

but Brandon Knight is a good alternative @4
I love Tristan as much as anyone but he's not a safe pick...

most NBA ready IMO

1. DW

2. Jimmer

3. Kemba

4. Knight

5. Kyrie

I put Brandon over Kyrie simply because Brandon made it through a whole NCAA season last year. 

That rookie wall around game 40 is a tall one.

Back
Top Bottom