NBA Draft Thread 2011

As much as the NBA irritates me, and as much as I think its more so a show then real basketball, i dont care if it was rigged for the Cavs to get #1. They just got done nasty by the hometown hero who is the best player in the NBA. Give them the number 1 pick.
Khans right though.

As much as the NBA irritates me, and as much as I think its more so a show then real basketball, i dont care if it was rigged for the Cavs to get #1. They just got done nasty by the hometown hero who is the best player in the NBA. Give them the number 1 pick.
Khans right though.

Originally Posted by Fatherless Child

How the hell is the NBA rigged if they had the 2nd best chance to land #1!? Conspiracy theorist always thirsty.

That pick actually ended up being the #4 overall pick. The #1 overall pick was the LAC pick and had less than a 3% chance of getting the number 1 pick.

Originally Posted by Fatherless Child

How the hell is the NBA rigged if they had the 2nd best chance to land #1!? Conspiracy theorist always thirsty.

That pick actually ended up being the #4 overall pick. The #1 overall pick was the LAC pick and had less than a 3% chance of getting the number 1 pick.

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

Id really fight you for comparing kyrie to rose...###@ is wrong with yall fools ....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

I'm curious to see who lands Klay Thompson from Washington State. Not sure if anyone outside of Pac-10 country know who this kid is, but he shouldn't last past the first round. He'll be a real treat to whoever gets him.

I would love to have him honestly. Can see him in that 18-25 range, real steal I feel. Great feel for the game, big 2G who can really shoot the ball.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

I'm curious to see who lands Klay Thompson from Washington State. Not sure if anyone outside of Pac-10 country know who this kid is, but he shouldn't last past the first round. He'll be a real treat to whoever gets him.

I would love to have him honestly. Can see him in that 18-25 range, real steal I feel. Great feel for the game, big 2G who can really shoot the ball.

Originally Posted by Jay02

Khans right though.

He was a free agent. They aren't owed !%$%.

Originally Posted by Jay02

Khans right though.

He was a free agent. They aren't owed !%$%.

Getting the number 1 pick was the only way that trade was going to be considered bad.
Its messed up cause Irving was the one guy then needed to have a real good all young starting lineup.
At least Eric Bledsoe is more physically talented than Irving....
The trade was still decent if your a Clip's fan.
Im not personally sold on Irving being a Chris Paul type, but its not as terrible as one might think.
The lottery is the ones who made that trade look bad. Cause 3 months ago that was a good trade, and if the clips are picking in the teens like they should be according to the odds this was brilliant.

Getting the number 1 pick was the only way that trade was going to be considered bad.
Its messed up cause Irving was the one guy then needed to have a real good all young starting lineup.
At least Eric Bledsoe is more physically talented than Irving....
The trade was still decent if your a Clip's fan.
Im not personally sold on Irving being a Chris Paul type, but its not as terrible as one might think.
The lottery is the ones who made that trade look bad. Cause 3 months ago that was a good trade, and if the clips are picking in the teens like they should be according to the odds this was brilliant.

Originally Published: May 17, 2011

[h1]Chad Ford's Mock Draft, Version 2.0[/h1]

By Chad Ford
ESPN.com
Archive

The results are in, and the Cleveland Cavaliers are the big winners in this year's draft lottery. That means it's time for our second full mock draft of 2011.

At this point, very little is set in stone. Expect this mock draft to fluctuate greatly over the course of the next six weeks. The process of team workouts has just started. The Chicago NBA pre-draft combine, the Reebok Eurocamp and hundreds of team workouts will dramatically alter the face of the draft. But for now, here's our best stab, after talking to numerous NBA team sources, about how the draft might play out in June.

[table][tr][th=""]PICK[/th][th=""]TEAM[/th][th=""]PLAYER[/th][th=""]VITALS[/th][/tr][tr][td]
1.gif
[/td][td]
cle.gif

Cleveland
(via L.A. Clippers)
[/td][td]
nba_g_irving1x_65.jpg

Kyrie Irving
[/td][td]Position: PG
Height: 6-foot-2
Weight: 180 pounds
School: Duke [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: What a big win for Cleveland -- it trades away Mo Williams and gets back No. 1 pick Kyrie Irving. Yes, the Cavs have Baron Davis, but he's not a big part of their future plans. Irving can come in and immediately give them a backcourt foundation to fit with J.J. Hickson and the No. 4 pick.

[table][tr][th=""]PICK[/th][th=""]TEAM[/th][th=""]PLAYER[/th][th=""]VITALS[/th][/tr][tr][td]
2.gif
[/td][td]
min.gif

Minnesota
[/td][td]
19490.jpg

Derrick Williams
[/td][td]Position: SF
Height: 6-8
Weight: 241
School: Arizona [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: Minnesota GM David Kahn can breathe a sigh of relief -- we think. With Irving likely off the board, Kahn won't have to put up with all those point guard jokes. Unless, that is, he reaches for Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker here.

I think this pick will be a three-way race among Williams, Enes Kanter and Bismack Biyombo. Of the three, Williams has the strongest pedigree and ultimately should be an upgrade over Michael Beasley. But don't be surprised if Kahn trades the pick. I'm already hearing from sources that Minnesota has told people it's very open to moving the second pick. Kahn really wants to add some veteran help to the team.

3.gif
[/td][td]
uth.gif

Utah
(via New Jersey)
[/td][td]
nba_u_knight_65.jpg

Brandon Knight
Height: 6-3
Weight: 185
School: Kentucky [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Jazz could go in a number of directions. They have a need at small forward (and would love it, by the way, if Derrick Williams fell to them) and at center. And while they like Devin Harris at point guard, they're not sure he's the long-term answer.

For that reason, I think Knight has a good chance of being the pick. Knight might not have the NCAA pedigree of Kemba Walker, but he is a high-character player, has good size for the position, defends well and can really shoot.

4.gif
[/td][td]
cle.gif

Cleveland
[/td][td]
19524.jpg

Enes Kanter
[/td][td]Position: PF
Height: 6-10
Weight: 255

Analysis: Few teams watched Kanter play during the past year unless they saw a Kentucky practice, so they are projecting Kanter's potential largely on the strength of a stellar performance at the 2010 Nike Hoop Summit. But if Kanter plays the way he did at the Hoop Summit and in workouts in Chicago (where I saw him for several days last week), he's a good fit for the Cavs and worthy of this pick.

Kanter is tough, can play inside and out, rebounds the basketball and has a higher basketball IQ than most other players his age. While a bit undersized for a center, his toughness in the paint would be very welcome in Cleveland.

5.gif
[/td][td]
tor.gif

Toronto
[/td][td]
19523.jpg

Jonas Valanciunas
Weight: 230

Analysis: Many NBA scouts insist Valanciunas could be the best international player in the draft. While Raptors president Bryan Colangelo hasn't been afraid to gamble on European players in the past, there are concerns about the buyout terms of Valanciunas' contract -- some teams are skeptical that he'll be in the NBA for the next few years. Still, he appears to be the most likely choice for the Raptors.

6.gif
[/td][td]
was.gif

Washington
[/td][td]
19534.jpg

Kawhi Leonard
Height: 6-7
Weight: 225
School: San Diego State [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Wizards changed their uniforms, and by taking Leonard, they can begin to change their image as a soft, defenseless team. Projecting Leonard this high might be a stretch for some, but looking at who's available and what the Wizards need, he's a really good fit.

Leonard can guard multiple positions, would fill a hole at the 3, plays with a motor and toughness the Wizards often lack, and has enormous upside if he continues to improve his jump shot (he was shooting the lights out in Vegas workouts). The comps to Gerald Wallace don't seem out of order, and if his jumper truly improves, he has a chance to be really special. Pairing him with John Wall could be the start of something in Washington.

7.gif
[/td][td]
sac.gif

Sacramento
[/td][td]
nba_u_walkerk_65.jpg

Kemba Walker
Height: 6-1
Weight: 172
School: UConn [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: As I noted in our first mock draft, the Kings have finally come to two realizations in the past year. One, Tyreke Evans isn't a point guard. Two, character and leadership matter.

No one in college basketball showed more heart, leadership or desire to win than Walker this past season at UConn. He has his weaknesses, but he should give the Kings something they need -- a winner.

8.gif
[/td][td]
det.gif

Detroit
[/td][td]
19554.jpg

Tristan Thompson
School: Texas [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: Last week we had Bismack Biyombo here, but a number of GMs consider him a risky pick this high. The Pistons could still go in Biyombo's direction, but they may not need to if they fall in love with Thompson.

Thompson isn't quite as long and bouncy as Biyombo (few players are) but is more of a proven commodity; Thompson is a terrific offensive rebounder in his own right and a much better scorer right now. Like Biyombo, he would be a perfect complement to Greg Monroe on the Pistons' front line.

9.gif
[/td][td]
cha.gif

Charlotte

[/td][td]
19642.jpg

Bismack Biyombo
Height: 6-9
Weight: 243

Analysis: The Bobcats are desperate for a big man who can defend the paint. Enter Biyombo. How much do we really know about him? Not much. But the Bobcats desperately need his length, athleticism, rebounding and toughness. Michael Jordan has never been afraid to take risks, and if he is sold on Biyombo, he won't be afraid to do it here either.

10.gif
[/td][td]
mil.gif

Milwaukee
[/td][td]
19510.jpg

Alec Burks
[/td][td]Position: SG
Height: 6-6
Weight: 195
School: Colorado [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Bucks are set at center and point guard but could really use help at the 2, 3 or 4 position. Of the different needs, the 2-guard position may be the most pressing. Burks still needs to improve his shooting, but he is a very athletic guard who can get to the basket.

11.gif
[/td][td]
gsw.gif

Golden State
[/td][td]
19415.jpg

Jan Vesely
Height: 6-11
Weight: 240

Analysis: The Warriors have a lot of frontcourt needs, so why Vesely? Because he could be special. He runs the floor, is explosive athletically, and could provide a running partner for Steph Curry and Monta Ellis.

12.gif
[/td][td]
uth.gif

Utah
(0.7% chance of winning lottery)
[/td][td]
19324.jpg

Chris Singleton
School: Florida State [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: With Andrei Kirilenko heading into free agency this summer, the Jazz are set to lose their most versatile defender. Enter Singleton. He's not the most polished offensive player in the world (sound familiar, AK-47 fans?), but his ability to guard multiple positions and his size for his position are intriguing for the Jazz. If Alec Burks is off the board here, I think they'll look seriously at Singleton.

13.gif
[/td][td]
pho.gif

Phoenix
[/td][td]
19505.jpg

Jimmer Fredette
Height: 6-2
Weight: 195
School: Brigham Young [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: I continue to believe Fredette would be a great option for Phoenix. His shooting ability combined with the Suns' free-flowing offense are a very good fit. Fredette's terrible defense raises concerns, but at least he is a fit on a team that has been willing to overlook Steve Nash's weakness in that area for years.

14.gif
[/td][td]
hou.gif

Houston
[/td][td]
19449.jpg

Marcus Morris
Weight: 235
School: Kansas [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Rockets traded away Shane Battier in February, and Morris wouldn't be a bad long-term replacement. His ability to stretch the floor and rebound, combined with a high basketball IQ, should be welcome in Houston.

15.gif
[/td][td]
ind.gif

Indiana

[/td][td]
19371.jpg

Kenneth Faried
School: Morehead State [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Pacers' two biggest needs are an athletic guard who can create his own shot off the dribble and a long, athletic big man who can block shots and rebound. Of the guys left on the board, Faried seems to fit the latter bill the best. He is undersized for his position, but his length, explosive leaping ability and motor make up for much of that.

The Pacers have had luck with high-energy guys like Jeff Foster and Tyler Hansbrough in the past. As they continue to try to improve on the defensive end, I think Faried would be a terrific choice.

16.gif
[/td][td]
phi.gif

Philadelphia

[/td][td]
19601.jpg

Markieff Morris
[/td][td]Position: PF/C
Weight: 245

Analysis: The Sixers really need a big man, and Morris, a Philly native, is the best one left on the board. Morris has a rep as a good defender, shot-blocker and rebounder, but he also proved at Kansas that he can step out and hit the 3. He's a bit rawer than his brother, but he's a good get at this point in the draft.

17.gif
[/td][td]
nyk.gif

New York

[/td][td]
19545.jpg

Josh Selby
Height: 6-2
Weight: 183

Analysis: GM Donnie Walsh may have made the biggest mistake of his career when he passed on a number of terrific, young but unproven point guards in 2009 so he could draft Jordan Hill. Brandon Jennings, Ty Lawson and Jrue Holiday -- and even Darren Collison, Eric Maynor and Jeff Teague -- each appears to be on his way to a long NBA career. Don't expect the Knicks to make the same mistake again.

They've been looking long and hard at Selby for a while, thinking he'd thrive in Mike D'Antoni's system, which allows guards much more freedom than they get at Kansas. Selby has lottery talent, but a shaky résumé. It may be a risk taking him this high, but he has a very high upside.

18.gif
[/td][td]
was.gif

Washington
(via Atlanta)
[/td][td]
19450.jpg

Klay Thompson
Height: 6-6
Weight: 202
School: Washington St. [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: Nick Young is heading into free agency, and the Wizards could use another shooter in their backcourt to complement Wall. Thompson rivals Fredette as the best shooter in the draft and would be a great fit for the Wizards.

19.gif
[/td][td]
cha.gif

Charlotte
(via New Orleans)
[/td][td]
19396.jpg

Jordan Hamilton
Height: 6-7
Weight: 220
School: Texas [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: Landing Hamilton here would be a steal. Not only is he a terrific shooter with size, but he may be one of the two or three best scorers in the draft. Yes, his shot selection can be a little wild, but he should be a very good fit in Charlotte as it begins the rebuilding process.

20.gif
[/td][td]
min.gif

Minnesota
(via Memphis)
[/td][td]
19628.jpg

Marshon Brooks
Height: 6-5
Weight: 190
School: Providence [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: While the Wolves are stacked with young talent at multiple positions, 2-guard has been an ongoing need for the past two years. The Wesley Johnson at the 2 experiment didn't really go well this past season -- he's been a forward his whole life and will likely stay that way.

Enter Brooks, the second-best scorer in college basketball. Brooks' dynamic ability to create his own shot off the dribble, combined with solid shooting numbers, should be a big help to Minnesota.

21.gif
[/td][td]
por.gif

Portland
[/td][td]
19306.jpg

Donatas Motiejunas
Height: 7-0

Analysis: The Blazers have been looking for a point guard -- Reggie Jackson, Darius Morris and Nolan Smith will get a look -- but the team also needs depth on its front line. Motiejunas provides that and, at No. 21, he's a big-time bargain.

22.gif
[/td][td]
den.gif

Denver

[/td][td]
nba_g_harris1x_65.jpg

Tobias Harris
Weight: 226
School: Tennessee [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: Harris may be one of the more underrated players in the draft. He can play both the 3 and 4, and he has a very high basketball IQ and an NBA body. Harris doesn't do any one thing at an elite level, but he is one of the most well-rounded players in the draft.

23.gif
[/td][td]
hou.gif

Houston
(via Orlando)
[/td][td]
19632.jpg

Reggie Jackson
Weight: 208
School: Boston College [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: Kyle Lowry is coming of a career year, but Jackson would give them a very different look. Jackson is a terrific athlete, has a ridiculous 7-foot wingspan and shot the lights out his junior year. He has virtually every quality you look for in a modern NBA point guard and would likely be a good complement to Lowry.

24.gif
[/td][td]
okc.gif

Oklahoma City

[/td][td]
19552.jpg

Nikola Mirotic
Weight: 226

Analysis: Sam Presti is an opportunist, and he is patient -- two critical traits in a great GM. Mirotic, based on talent, is a lottery pick. But a massive buyout means he won't be playing in the NBA anytime soon. If he stays in the draft -- a big "if" at this point -- someone will gamble on him. If it's Presti, he could be getting a major steal down the road.

25.gif
[/td][td]
bos.gif

Boston
[/td][td]
19607.jpg

Jordan Williams
[/td][td]Position: C
Weight: 260
School: Maryland [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Celtics miss Kendrick Perkins, who was drafted (by Memphis) late in the first round of the 2003 draft. Williams could be another potential sleeper. He is big and physical and was one of the best rebounders in college basketball this past season. If he can stay in the sort of shape he displayed in Las Vegas, he could be a steal at this juncture in the draft.

26.gif
[/td][td]
dal.gif

Dallas

[/td][td]
nba_g_bertans11_65.jpg

Davis Bertans
Weight: 210

Analysis: It's unfair to compare any young European player to Dirk Nowitzki. But after watching Bertans shoot the lights out in the practices at the Nike Hoop Summit, that's how some scouts were referring to him. Bertans doesn't have Nowitzki's size or strength and looks to be a pretty serious project. But long term, he could be a really nice addition for the Mavs.

27.gif
[/td][td]
njn.gif

New Jersey
(via L.A. Lakers)
[/td][td]
19635.jpg

Justin Harper
School: Richmond [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: Harper fits a need for New Jersey. He is big and athletic and can shoot the ball with range. After experimenting with guys like Yi Jianlian and Troy Murphy in this role over the past few years, Harper is cheaper and has more upside.

28.gif
[/td][td]
chi.gif

Chicago
(via Miami)
[/td][td]
19496.jpg

Tyler Honeycutt
[/td][td]Position: G/F
Weight: 188
School: UCLA [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Bulls continue to look for long-term answers at the 2, and Honeycutt could be a really nice steal here if he slides this far. He not only has a great basketball IQ and the ability to handle the ball, but is also a good shooter who can stretch the defense.

29.gif
[/td][td]
sas.gif

San Antonio
[/td][td]
19598.jpg

Lucas Nogueira
[/td][td]Position: C
Height: 6-11
Weight: 218

Analysis: The Spurs have done a good job over the years of finding young international players and stashing them overseas for a few years until they are ready. Nogueira seems like another good candidate.

He is long, athletic and a terrific shot-blocker. He just needs more experience and about 30 pounds of muscle. A few years in Europe should help prepare him.

30.gif
[/td][td]
chi.gif

Chicago

[/td][td]
19625.jpg

Charles Jenkins
School: Hofstra [/td][/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Bulls need scorers in their backcourt and ultimately need to find a backup for Derrick Rose at point guard. Jenkins' ability to play both backcourt positions is intriguing. He is big, strong, a very good shooter and one of the best pure scorers in the draft. He is a real sleeper.

Back
Top Bottom