NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Allen 33
Pierce 31
Garnett 33
Rondo 23
Perkins 24
Sheed 34

Duncan 33
Ginobili 31
Parker 27
Jefferson 29
Mcdyess 34
Mason 28

Just going by starters and the sixth man off the bench. If Boston should have a major factor in terms of injury, San Antonio will as well.

Ray Allen isn't going to rely on athleticism to get buckets. He's crafty when he takes the basket and doesn't take a lot of beatings and contact.He is usually well conditioned so his jumpshot should be no different than last season. He will go through slumps throughout the season like he always do, butI don't see him losing a step next season. He will more than likely be the same Ray Allen.

Sheed will provide more interior defense for Boston. I'm not expecting him to be the savior, but they don't really need one. They can win without him.If KG did go down, they would have Sheed to fill his absence defensively.

Like someone said, Pierce will be the same Pierce more than likely. He's only 31.

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

yall keep hating on boston....unless injuries happen they will win the 2010 championship...and i'll put my sn on it cause w/ football season coming up i know ima really rack some posts up.....BUT BARRING INJURY
Who's hating? Age doesn't affect teams at some point? Really?

Hey, if they put this team together 4 years ago, I wouldn't even watch the season, I'd know the end result, but it's not 4 years ago. These guyshave a ton of mileage on them And that could be their downfall. That's not hate, it's not like we're sayin they're gonna be a lottery team,or out in the first round, just sayin they shouldn't start sizin up their fingers just yet.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

yall keep hating on boston....unless injuries happen they will win the 2010 championship...and i'll put my sn on it cause w/ football season coming up i know ima really rack some posts up.....BUT BARRING INJURY
Who's hating? Age doesn't affect teams at some point? Really?

Hey, if they put this team together 4 years ago, I wouldn't even watch the season, I'd know the end result, but it's not 4 years ago. These guys have a ton of mileage on them And that could be their downfall. That's not hate, it's not like we're sayin they're gonna be a lottery team, or out in the first round, just sayin they shouldn't start sizin up their fingers just yet.
wink.gif

I agree w/CP but you never know

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

On paper that team has Championship written all over it.
I can't envision a team whose starting lineup adds up to 154 years old winning a ring.

I was referring mainly to the names, but that's cool. Age being a factor, those 4 only have to score about 15 ppg respectively to put this team in theChampionship. Very doable in my eyes...As mafia mentioned, this team is not too different from the Spurs right now (age wise), who many are hailing asChampionship ready. Only way age really comes into play, hindering their chances, is if they get hurt. Very likely, but on paper, you don't exactly assumeinjuries.

For the record, I don't think they'll win the Finals, if that's what you were insinuating.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Add me to list that doesn't find that Boston team scary at all. One...KG and Sheed are two jumpshooters...unless you're Orlando...I'm not worried about a team that has those in their frontcourt. Also...as we've seen now in the past I don't know how many finals...the stars do the same but it's the role players that seal the deal for a championship and I look at Boston and don't see a single player that fits that Trevor Ariza/James Posey mold. With Powe and Baby likely out...their bench is probably worse than it was last year. They better hope Grant Hill comes along.
It's really how well a role player plays defense. The Lakers didn't have that in 2004.

Bottom Line is Boston Vs L.A is coming and i don't see how it can be stopped
Injuries can easily stop either team. Each round is the best of 7. No team is just gonna coast through the postseason.

[h1]Forward Bass agrees to four-year deal with Magic[/h1]
By David Aldridge, TNT analyst
Posted Jul 10 2009 12:58PM

The Orlando Magic are trying to keep up in the arms race in the competitive Eastern Conference, agreeing to terms on Friday with free agent forward Brandon Bass on a four-year deal believed to be worth $18 million.

advertisement_160.gif

The 23-year-old Bass was one of the most coveted big men in this year's free agency class, having been a valuable role player off the bench for the Mavericks the past two seasons. He played in 81 games for Dallas last year, averaging 8.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in 19 minutes a night. The Mavericks tried to keep him, but Dallas' commitment to Magic free agent center Marcin Gortat to an offer sheet made money scarce. New Orleans, Bass's first team, and Cleveland also were working to sign him.

With Hedo Turkoglu gone to Toronto, there may be an opportunity for a starting job at power forward in Orlando for Bass, with the Magic moving Rashard Lewis back to his normal small forward position. But even if he doesn't start, Bass will provide toughness and size for an Orlando team that now has to contend with Shaquille O'Neal and re-signed forward Anderson Varejao in Cleveland and the return of Kevin Garnett and newly signed Rasheed Wallace in Boston.

The Cavaliers made a last-minute push on Bass, according to a source, but didn't have a way to get him the money he'll get in Orlando. Cleveland has come to terms with free agent guard Anthony Parker and will probably use its mid-level exception on him, leaving only the biannual and veteran minimums for other players.

Bass's contract has an out clause after three seasons.

Source

Good signing for the Magic. If Bass can start at 4, then Shard can move back to the 3. Or just put Pietrus at the 3 and keep Shard at the 4.

They'll be there at the end, they'll be in the mix, but as of this second, i take a younger Orlando team with less wear and tear over them.
What? Orlando might be younger but theyre certainly not more talented/experienced.

Originally Posted by Durden7

They'll be there at the end, they'll be in the mix, but as of this second, i take a younger Orlando team with less wear and tear over them.
What? Orlando might be younger but theyre certainly not more talented/experienced.
I...I, I dunno what I'm supposed to say here.

You just watched Orlando defeat Boston in the playoffs right?

They did so with Jameer on the bench right?

While losing Hedo, they have replaced him with Vince, right?

Boston is a year older right?

It's possible that Howard, and Jameer are going to improve this season right?

There's no guarantee that KG will be fully healthy right?

But the lone signing of 34 year old Sheed makes them better then Orlando just like that??????
grin.gif

I think the experience of beating Boston in Boston in a game 7 will take care of that aspect.

And neither team has a bench to speak of yet, so no reason to bring them up just yet. TBD I guess is the best way to look at that part of the equation.
laugh.gif

In the East, right now, Orlando is the best team. Can Boston get better and beat them, of course. But as of today, I'm goin with ORLD.

Originally Posted by CP1708

I think the experience of beating Boston in Boston in a game 7 will take care of that aspect.

And neither team has a bench to speak of yet, so no reason to bring them up just yet. TBD I guess is the best way to look at that part of the equation.
laugh.gif

In the East, right now, Orlando is the best team. Can Boston get better and beat them, of course. But as of today, I'm goin with ORLD.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

boston has a better bench then orlando right now, and i dont think its hard to disagree.

CP1708 wrote:
Durden7 wrote:

But the lone signing of 34 year old Sheed makes them better then Orlando just like that??????
grin.gif

laugh.gif

1. Orlando did defeat Boston in the playoffs but it took a long series and Boston was giving significant minutes to Stephon Marbury and Mikki Moore by the endof that series.

2. Vince instead of Hedo isnt an upgrade. I think Hedo is overrated as a player, but theres no doubt he was the fuel for that team last year.

3. Boston is a year older, but so is every other player in the league. Theyre older, but its not like their ancient.

4. Its possible, but not a guarntee. Its just as possible that the Magic had one of those "magic" (intended) years where everything came together. He might have reached his potential.

5. Its no guarntee, but Nelson is also coming off of an injury. If Garnett is doubtful to be 100%, so is Jameer.

6. Sheed is a big presence and 10x better than anyone else they had off the bench last year (other than Davis). He might not give you what he had 5 yearsago, but he's still a big signing.

I dont even think Orlando is better than Cleveland right now. I think Orlando is the 3rd best team in the East.

[h1]Sources: Hill to stay with Suns[/h1]
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 29 minutes ago

• Buzz up!
  • [h5]Print[/h5]

More From Adrian Wojnarowski

Grant Hill(notes) has decided to re-sign with Phoenix, and a large part of the decision is based on the belief that Steve Nash(notes) is close to reaching an agreement on a contract extension, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Hill has begun telling associates he's staying with the Suns. Phoenix owner Robert Sarver, general manager Steve Kerr and coach Alvin Gentry met with Hill on Wednesday night and Thursday morning in Florida.

The Suns will also sign free agent Channing Frye(notes) to a two-year deal for $3.8 million, sources said. The second season is at Frye's option.

The New York Knicks reportedly offered Hill the choice of a one-year, $5 million deal or a three-year, $10 million contract. Hill also had an offer from the Boston Celtics.Nevertheless, he's believed to be comfortable with the direction of the Suns to re-sign there.

The terms of the Nash extension are unclear, although one source believes it is a three-year deal worth about $33 million.

Originally Posted by Durden7

CP1708 wrote:
Durden7 wrote:

grin.gif

laugh.gif

1. Orlando did defeat Boston in the playoffs but it took a long series and Boston was giving significant minutes to Stephon Marbury and Mikki Moore by the end of that series.

2. Vince instead of Hedo isnt an upgrade. I think Hedo is overrated as a player, but theres no doubt he was the fuel for that team last year.

3. Boston is a year older, but so is every other player in the league. Theyre older, but its not like their ancient.

4. Its possible, but not a guarntee. Its just as possible that the Magic had one of those "magic" (intended) years where everything came together. He might have reached his potential.

5. Its no guarntee, but Nelson is also coming off of an injury. If Garnett is doubtful to be 100%, so is Jameer.

6. Sheed is a big presence and 10x better than anyone else they had off the bench last year (other than Davis). He might not give you what he had 5 years ago, but he's still a big signing.

I dont even think Orlando is better than Cleveland right now. I think Orlando is the 3rd best team in the East.

Ok, Nelson is a young dude with an injured shoulder. He isn't a running back, shoulder shouldn't be a problem any longer.

KG is going into his 15th NBA season with a bad knee?
nerd.gif
Uh, that maynot feel all too well ya know? So no, KG injury concerns are NO WHERE close to Jameer's.

Agree Vince isn't really a true upgrade over Hedo, but he's still a good player, though a little soft.....ok a lot soft, but he now is on a titlecontender, we'll see if that toughens him up a little.

I misread you saying that Howard might have reached his potential. Tell me I misread that. You were joking? You're funny right?
laugh.gif
Please don't say a 24 year old super freak is done improving his skills. Please don't, it'll make me feel bad.

Last I checked, but if Davis walks, and Powe is gone, guess what? Boston's bench still could have a bunch of Marbury, Mikki Moore type
mu(@#$&^% s on it. So they better get to work.

And you did not just say the Cavs are better then the magic. I mean.......damn man.

SO what are they throwin out there.......

Nash
Cheesy
Hill
PF
Amary

Barbosa
Frye
Other Lopez

Barnes is gone right? Who am I missing? That team isn't going to make the playoffs, they have to trade Amare mid season. Have to do it. If they'rekeeping Nash and committed to losing for another 3 years, then they can't let Amary just walk. Gotta get somethin for him.

Back
Top Bottom