NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

that would be super cool if a.i. goes to the clips.
man thats sucks that the mavs let bass go to sign gortat and it turns out that they wound up not getting either one.NICE ONE MAVS.lol
they need to do something right now,adding marion isnt enough

Miami is not winning anything next season with AI or not. If he was truly about winning, he would have signed with a contender for reasonable money to come offthe bench.

Originally Posted by avitale8

oh...well I'm not really even keeping up on the Pietrus/Barnes argument...
I think it's more about coaching, SVG tends to get the best out of some guys...2 years ago, when Pietrus was rotting on the bench in GS and Barnes was getting alot of PT, most wouldn't make statements of Pietrus being better than Barnes. But I think with his athleticism it puts him over Barnes.
Hopefully we can sign Barnes for the rest of our MLE.
I hope we can too. We need a role player like Barnes.

AI on the Clips is funny

Oddly enough though I wish the Clips a bit of success, I always been a fan of Bdiddy. Hope they get to sniff the playoffs this year

dont know what the mavs are going to do now, it seems as if their summer spending was over, now it looks like it has just begun

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

Oddly enough though I wish the Clips a bit of success, I always been a fan of Bdiddy. Hope they get to sniff the playoffs this year

smokin.gif

Wait...so what the hell did Orlando match Gortat for if he didn't want to be there? So now they're stuck with a guy for 5 years who doesn't want tobe a back up? Should have let his $#! walk and went and got Wilcox, Gooden, Joe Smith, or some other big for the low. Dude is seriously not worth all of that.

How many clutch 3's did Pietrus hit in the playoffs? Didn't he have games where he outscored the entire Cavs bench by himself?

Barnes couldn't hit as many shots at Pietrus did in a full season compared to what dude did in the playoffs, come on.

Barnes is ok, Pietrus is very good. Don't know how big the difference is, but it's there.

Where's the buzz on Jazz matching for Milsap? It's gonna start getting real interesting over here.
laugh.gif

Bench may be biggest hurdle in Iverson-to-Clips deal
By David Aldridge, TNT Analyst
Posted Jul 14 2009 6:58AM

LAS VEGAS -- Yes, the Los Angeles Clippers are having talks with Allen Iverson. But a signing does not appear imminent, because Iverson is still chafing at the idea of coming off the bench.

Sources confirmed the Los Angeles Times' report that the team has offered Iverson a one-year deal at the mid-level exception of $5.8 million for next season. But, those sources said, Iverson remains reluctant to take a reserve role, which would be behind incumbent Baron Davis at the point or Eric Gordon at the two, just as he chafed in Detroit this past season playing behind Rip Hamilton. Even though Iverson would like to play in a big city, or, at the least, for a contending team, he's given no indication yet that he'd be any more willing to be a bench player in Los Angeles than he would be elsewhere.

One source with knowledge of the team's intentions said that Iverson was not the only player the Clippers were approaching. They also spoke with representatives for Milwaukee guard Ramon Sessions, as well as Indiana's Jarrett Jack, before Jack signed an offer sheet with the Toronto Raptors, in their pursuit of a backup point. Another source said that Coach Mike Dunleavy needed some assurances from Iverson's camp that he could accept a reserve role before getting completely behind the pursuit of Iverson.

In the interim, Iverson is still being pursued by Miami, Memphis and Charlotte.

However, the Clippers do remain a strong possibility for Iverson. Los Angeles could provide all kinds of ancillary income opportunities for Iverson. And the Clippers could have significant room under the cap after this season, which would give Iverson a chance to recoup some income if he were to accept the one-year offer at the mid-level.

frown.gif

The would look very respectable on paper. Iverson should accept a role like Jason Terry's, but he's being stubborn because of his former star power.

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

The would look very respectable on paper. Iverson should accept a role like Jason Terry's, but he's being stubborn because of his former star power.
That's what keeping him probably from accepting Memphis offer. He just doesn't want to come off the bench and that's the only wayMemphis signs him.

Looks like he's going to end up retiring unless some team really wants to start him.

How many clutch 3's did Pietrus hit in the playoffs? Didn't he have games where he outscored the entire Cavs bench by himself?

Barnes couldn't hit as many shots at Pietrus did in a full season compared to what dude did in the playoffs, come on.

Barnes is ok, Pietrus is very good. Don't know how big the difference is, but it's there.
Pietrus is better than Barnes at this point, there's no doubt about it. But, look at what Barnes did a few years ago when he was 2 yearsyounger. He was definitely playing on a high level in his Golden State days. Due to Pietrus being younger, stronger, a better defender and probably morefocused he's definitely the better player right now. Barnes is the better rebounder and I would consider him a more prolific scorer than Pietrus when hegets it going. Both can light it up though when they get hot.

I didn't know that was the argument. My argument was that both players are very similar in terms of playing styles.

out of miami,clippers,memphis and bobcats AI is only going to start on the bobcats from day 1 he could take over for chalmers or Cloney down the line butthats not a lock. The clippers are the worst choice on that list tho, he would atleast get heavy minutes with the other 3 and close out games for them.

and why are laker fans getting mad at odom for not signing yet? him and his agent are doing the right thing that offer from the lakers will always be therecant hurt to wait and see if a team or the lakers offer something better.

LAS VEGAS -- You will inevitably question why the Clippers are chasing Allen Iverson and how they plan to fit him into their backcourt rotation when they already have Baron Davis and Eric Gordon. Answer: Selling tickets is a huge part of it, just like in Memphis with the Grizzlies' interest in AI. Turns out that winning the draft lottery and the right to select Blake Griffin with the No. 1 overall pick didn't exactly cause lines -- or even one line -- to form outside of the Clippers' ticket offices. Factor in the decline in season-ticket renewals that the Clippers, like so many other teams, are facing and the benefits of a one-year stimulus package -- before L.A. comes into a mess of salary-cap space thanks to Memphis' willingness to trade for Zach Randolph -- start to make things clearer. It's also true that the Clips, presumably at the behest of star-craving owner Donald Sterling, have flirted with trading for Iverson for years. So if Memphis owner Michael Heisley was right when he told ESPN.com on Sunday that Iverson is "only looking for a one-year contract," Clipperland would appear to be Iverson's most enticing option, given its big-market stage and the fact that Sterling is apparently willing to offer most or all of the $5.9 million midlevel exception, compared with Miami's interest at a much lower number. Yet it remains to be seen whether Iverson, who famously threatened to retire at the end of his lost season in Detroit if asked to come off the bench again, can really accept a reserve role from the Clips or Grizz even if they're the only teams willing to offer something in the $5 million range. Skepticism is, shall we say, tangible. "I have inquired," Clippers coach/general manager Mike Dunleavy said of Iverson, stopping the conversation there.
617.jpg

Odom​
Mark Cuban announced to NBA TV during the Mavericks' summer-league game Monday against Phoenix that he plans to explore his sign-and-trade options for Lamar Odom now that Dallas won't be getting restricted free agent Marcin Gortat from Orlando and with undeniable frustration seeping out of both Odom's camp and the Lakers that the sides aren't close to a deal. The Phoenix Suns are yet another Western Conference rival that would happily volunteer to furnish Odom with a new home via sign-and-trade if they (A) had the pieces or payroll flexibility like Dallas to make a realistic proposal or (B) really thought the Lakers were prepared to part with him and reunite Odom with longtime admirer Alvin Gentry. But they don't. The prevailing view in Vegas remains that Odom will wind up staying with the Lakers, because the newly crowned champions surely recognize that what makes them such a monster -- apart from the guy wearing No. 24 -- is the long-limbed trio of Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum and Odom. I keep hearing that Odom doesn't have the leverage to hold out for the $10 million annual salary he wants, since only Oklahoma City and Portland (if Utah matches the Blazers' offer sheet to Paul Millsap) have the salary-cap space to sign him outright in that range, but I would dispute that. For a couple reasons. Odom didn't just move to the bench last season (mostly) without complaint in a contract year. Of even greater consequence, Odom grew up with Ron Artest and is as close to Artest as anyone in the game, which suggests he'd be a useful aide to Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant in keeping Artest plugged into the Lakers' team objectives. The Lakers still hope to sign ol' No. 24 to a contract extension this summer. Does Kobe even consider that now if Odom isn't re-signed?
3200.jpg

Davis​
The early sense I get is that the Mavericks have little interest in using their midlevel exception -- which is back in their possession after Orlando confirmed its intention to match a five-year, $34 million offer to Gortat -- to play the restricted free-agent game again with Boston's Glen Davis. Detroit, by contrast, really covets Big Baby, whose modest $711,517 salary last season didn't stop him from stepping in admirably for the injured Kevin Garnett in the playoffs. The Pistons' problem is that their offer can start in only the $3 million range compared with $5.9 million in Dallas' case, raising the obvious fear that the rival Celtics could tie up the Pistons' money for seven days and then match. The Hornets, meanwhile, haven't abandoned their Big Baby interest, but New Orleans has to shed some salary before it can do anything significant or construct a sign-and-trade deal that the Celtics would accept. The team considered most likely to trade for Tyson Chandler -- Phoenix -- just completed a buyout with Ben Wallace that rips up the contract New Orleans was hoping to score in exchange for Chandler to enable the Hornets to finally join this summer's action.
862.jpg

Turkoglu​
A handful of bookkeeping notes from the free-agent contracts that have been formally signed over the past week: • Hedo Turkoglu's five-year, $52.8 million contract with Toronto includes a trade kicker and the right to opt out and return to free agency in the summer of 2013. • Andrea Bargnani's five-year extension in Toronto starting in 2010-11 is worth an even $50 million. The deal includes an early termination option to return to free agency in the summer of 2014 as well as a trade kicker and incentives. • Shawn Marion's five-year, $38.6 million deal with Dallas comes with a trade kicker, incentive bonuses and an early termination option after the fourth season. • The market for point guards has been tough, as Andre Miller would tell you, but three done deals call for Dallas' Jason Kidd to receive an even $25 million (with incentive bonuses) over the next three fully guaranteed seasons, Atlanta's Mike Bibby to receive exactly $18 million (with incentive bonuses) over the next three seasons and restricted free agent Jarrett Jack to take in $20 million over the next four seasons from the Raptors ... or the Pacers in the unlikely event that Indiana matches Toronto's offer sheet. • Ron Artest's five-year, $34 million deal with the Lakers has a trade kicker. Trevor Ariza's five-year, $34 million deal in Houston does not. • Brandon Bass' contract in Orlando is a flat $4 million annually for four years with incentive bonuses and a player option for the 2012-13 season. • Rasheed Wallace's three-year deal with the Celts, starting at the $5.9 million midlevel exception, includes a player option for the third season ($6.8 million) and a trade kicker. • Denver's Chris Andersen jumps from a minimum salary last season to $3.65 million next season in his new five-year deal worth $21.2 million, with incentives that can take that figure higher. • Cleveland appears to have scored one of the better bargains of the summer with a two-year deal worth an even $5.5 million to hook swingman Anthony Parker, who still has no shortage of admirers even though he's 34. • Milwaukee Bucks second-round pick Jodie Meeks was signed to a three-year deal worth $2.3 million, with the first two years fully guaranteed and partial coverage in the third.
1703.jpg

Boozer​
No concrete evidence has materialized -- yet -- that the Heat are preparing to send Udonis Haslem's expiring contract to Utah for the expiring contract of Carlos Boozer. But one trade scenario, presented online Monday by David Aldridge of TNT and NBA.com, would appear to have some promise for the Jazz, who long to find a way to move Boozer and take back less money, which generally requires the involvement of a third team. Trading Haslem and James Jones to the Jazz would allow Miami to give Boozer a one-season test drive without endangering its 2010 salary-cap space and conceivably help Utah out by fitting C.J. Miles into its $4.3 million trade exception in exchange for a future draft pick in another transaction. It's also true that the Jazz have until February to find a new trade home for Boozer before the luxury-tax implications of matching Portland's offer sheet to Paul Millsap start setting in. Which means they don't have to rush and make the first Boozer trade they can complete.
• The Warriors insist that, contrary to ongoing speculation, they are not chasing a trade for Boozer. At all. Seems they're rather pleased with a summer-league star named Anthony Randolph, who is reminding everyone in town why he's as close to untouchable as anyone on Golden State's roster. • After his inclusion in the Shawn Marion deal and spending a day-plus as a member of the Grizzlies, Jerry Stackhouse won't clear waivers until week's end. But word is he's already drawing free-agent feelers from a handful of playoff teams, while readying for his return -- following a virtual season off in Dallas -- by apparently bossing summer pickup games at the University of North Carolina. • The Milwaukee Bucks continue to make Bruce Bowen's $4 million expiring contract available, but word is no trade is close. If the Bucks don't strike a deal in the next two weeks, Bowen will be waived by Aug. 1 at a cost of just $2 million, making him a free agent sure to interest various rivals of the San Antonio Spurs, since Bowen is not expected to return to the silver and black. • I've been advised by one especially knowledgeable observer not to be surprised if Delonte West is traded at some point this season, not because Cleveland is eager to part with him but because West is surely more movable from that massive Cavs payroll than Daniel Gibson. • Before Orlando matched the offer sheet to Gortat, Dallas was aggressively shopping newly acquired Kris Humphries in search of another guard. And I'm told that hasn't changed in spite of the Mavericks' sudden need for size after losing Bass and missing out on Gortat. • Sasha Pavlovic isn't in the Suns' future plans any more than Ben Wallace was, but Phoenix can keep Pavlovic on the roster for 52 days of the 2009-10 season before the cost involved exceeds the $1.5 million required to buy out his contract immediately, as just seen with Big Ben. So the Suns will hang on to Pavlovic for now, treating his $5 million contract (with the $1.5 million buyout) as a nice trade chip into December.
The Chicago Bulls are buying out the contract of forward Tim Thomas.

Thomas had one season left on his deal, which would have paid him nearly $6.5 million. He played in just 18 games with the Bulls after being acquired from the New York Knicks in a four-player trade on Feb. 19.

The move helps keep the Bulls from paying the luxury tax after signing Jannero Pargo and re-signing Lindsey Hunter.

The 32-year-old Thomas has averaged 11.6 points and 4.1 rebounds for six teams in 12 years. He was also dealt from the Knicks to the Bulls before the 2005-06 season, but played just three games for Chicago and was waived the following March.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

We ain't mad at Odom, just anxious, we want the deal done so we can move on and see how the roster is shaped up.

Roy wants his 5th year a player option, Blazers don't want to give that power to him. Seems to be the hold up there.

Originally Posted by CP1708

We ain't mad at Odom, just anxious, we want the deal done so we can move on and see how the roster is shaped up.

Roy wants his 5th year a player option, Blazers don't want to give that power to him. Seems to be the hold up there.
The holdup must be due to the typhoid fever that has swept throught the Blazers front office, got them hallucinating it not giving Brandon RoyWHAT EVER THE #+#+ HE WANTS.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

If I was a Blazer fan I would be beyond angry.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

The holdup must be due to the typhoid fever that has swept throught the Blazers front office, got them hallucinating it not giving Brandon Roy WHAT EVER THE #+#+ HE WANTS.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Wait, what?

The Blazers are jerking around B. Roy?

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

The holdup must be due to the typhoid fever that has swept throught the Blazers front office, got them hallucinating it not giving Brandon Roy WHAT EVER THE #+#+ HE WANTS.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Ain't no fever, this is how this franchise is run all da time.
pimp.gif

They'll get the deal done eventually, they can't afford not too.

Dre, come on bro, you need to get outta them teenage boy decision threads once iu a while, the Roy thing been goin on for over a week now.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by heat23

Haslem will be missed if that trade happens!

Someone school me on CJ Miles

So, what do the Heat plan on doing with that guy they picked no.2 overall last season? I'm pretty sure they don't want him playing the 3 on aconsistent basis. Will they ever give him a chance to become a full-time starter or a 6th man?

Back
Top Bottom