NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

laugh.gif
@ MIL nearing the luxury tax...for what again?

Originally Posted by CP1708

And Stein reports the Blazers offered Odom a 5/40 contract........yeah? How's that? Convince Stern to get rid of the salary cap? They have no money to offer. Stupid idiot.
laugh.gif

the offer could of come before they signed miller

and Stein and Bucher only reported the wade meeting odom because wade said it on twitter just like everyone else reported it off of that

JD, is Milwaukee nearing the LT?

These dudes traded away RJ for nothing, let Charlie V walk for nothing, and they're about to do the same with Sessions.

And then offering Hakim a one year deal.

These dudes must have a ton of cap space next summer

Nevermind I just read the article. They are nearing the LT.

Who does play for these dudes?
laugh.gif

I guess Redd and Bogut take up a lot of the cap.

LMAO ot the road to the west goes thru San Antonio from a few pages back.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Those dudes can't ever beat us. 1 time this decade.
pimp.gif
Isn't the road thru the west Route 66 ?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

And Stein reports the Blazers offered Odom a 5/40 contract........yeah? How's that? Convince Stern to get rid of the salary cap? They have no money to offer. Stupid idiot.
laugh.gif

and Stein and Bucher only reported the wade meeting odom because wade said it on twitter just like everyone else reported it off of that

LO's agent said he never even spoke to the Blazers.

If they did offer and yet another guy took less money to stay away from there, then great for me, but I doubt it.

And really? These guys have a job to report off twitter? Then I guess you and I are reporters too, because we can read something and then "report"it right?
They are REPORTERS, they are suppossed to know what they are talking about and speak on it, if they didn't know for an absoulte I need to read NikeTalk's rules. that Wade and Rileswas meeting, then they shouldn't say @#$%. They're bums, stop defending them

If I'm Michael Redd, I'd demand a trade out of Milwaukee. They've failed to surround this dude with quality talent, since he re-upped with them.

Originally Posted by Julian Wright

Wow I could've sworn ESPN said the Hornets and Grizz were talking.
About what's better, being cheap as hell or being in luxury tax hell?
laugh.gif

When did you hear that?

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by Julian Wright

Wow I could've sworn ESPN said the Hornets and Grizz were talking.
About what's better, being cheap as hell or being in luxury tax hell?
laugh.gif

When did you hear that?
Awhile ago. Maybe we're just trying to get rid of Hilton for a salary dump and I was high or something.

More on the J-Will/Knicks situation...

Updated: July 31, 2009, 3:43 PM ET

[h2]Sources: Knicks win Williams rights[/h2]By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

The New York Knicks have been awarded exclusive rights to negotiate with veteran guard Jason Williams through Aug. 6 after putting in a waiver claim Friday, according to NBA front-office sources.

All 30 teams were notified Friday that the Knicks will have five business days, until next Thursday, to offer Williams a contract. Without an offer in that time frame that meets league guidelines, Williams would then become an unrestricted free agent.

It is believed that the Knicks' pursuit of Williams is separate from their well-chronicled interest in Milwaukee Bucks restricted free agent Ramon Sessions, who is soon expected to sign an offer sheet with the Knicks.

The Los Angeles Clippers formally waived their exclusive rights to negotiate with Williams last Friday. He was then placed on waivers, giving any team the right by Friday to claim Williams and secure the exclusive negotiating rights that the Clippers surrendered.

L.A. faced a league deadline last Thursday to exercise those exclusive rights to re-sign Williams after the 33-year signed a one-year deal with the Clippers last August, only to decide in September to place himself on the league's voluntarily retired list to spend more time with his family.

In February, Williams' request to be immediately reinstated by the NBA was denied by a vote of 24 teams to six. League bylaws state that players wishing to return from the official voluntarily retired list need unanimous approval from all 30 teams to avoid a one-year mandatory waiting period, ostensibly so the league can discourage players from backing out of signed contracts to choose a new team.

Williams becomes eligible to play in exhibition, regular-season and playoff games on the one-year anniversary of his official retirement, which is Sept. 26.

In February, his agent, Dan Tobin, said the 10-year veteran was determined to come back in spite of the ruling that prevented Williams from latching on with a contender late last season.

"We anticipated this decision," Tobin said then. "So did Jason. But we look forward to seeing Jason back in the NBA in the 2009-10 season.

"One of the reasons we applied for reinstatement now was that we'd like to try to accelerate the process of him coming back."

The six teams that voted against letting Williams return last season were Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Minnesota, San Antonio and the Clippers themselves. One suggested motivation for teams blocking Williams' return was an assumption that he would have quickly parted ways with the Clippers after reinstatement and signed with a playoff contender for the stretch run.

After signing a one-year deal with the Clippers in August, Williams abruptly changed his mind in September, informed the team that he was prepared to forfeit his contract and promptly filed retirement papers with the league.

In 679 regular-season games, Williams averaged 11.4 points, 6.3 assists and 2.4 rebounds while playing for Sacramento, Memphis and Miami. He has appeared in 53 playoff games, averaging 9.8 points, 3.7 assists and 2.2 rebounds and helping the Heat win its first and only championship in 2006.

He was drafted by Sacramento in 1998 following his junior year at Florida and was named to the 1999 NBA All-Rookie Team after averaging 12.8 points and 6.0 assists. He quickly became one of the most popular players in the Kings' Sacramento history, in tandem with Chris Webber.

Williams was dealt to Memphis in a trade featuring Mike Bibby before the 2001-02 season. Over the next four seasons he became the Grizzlies' career leader in assists and 3-point attempts. He joined the Heat before the 2005-06 season, as part of a trade which initially drew considerable criticism. But Williams and Antoine Walker helped Shaquille O'Neal, Dwyane Wade and Pat Riley win a championship in the newcomers' first season in Miami.

Williams' request to be reinstated has been described as unchartered territory because a player walking away from an active contract is so uncommon.

"My wife was pregnant at the time and it wasn't going too smoothly," Williams said in June of his sudden retirement in an interview with the Charleston (W.Va.) Daily Mail. "I just thought it was the right decision for my family.

"I'm just so blessed to have three healthy kids. It was tough [last season] because I missed playing, but I was glad to be home with my family."

Williams also told the newspaper that he would "like to play two or three more years" but insisted that "if it doesn't happen, trust me, I won't lose any sleep."

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

JWill in D'Antonis system
pimp.gif

Thats a match made in heaven just a shame the Knicks dont have many guys to finish his crazy assists.

For me a huge JWill fan id like to see the Knicks sign him D'Antoni give him free reign n let him put on a show in the Garden the Knicks aint gonna winalotta games but to see J Will bringing back the show like its 99 again bring it on.

Be nice to add a no.55 Knicks jersey to my collection to

Peace
Scottie

And really? These guys have a job to report off twitter? Then I guess you and I are reporters too, because we can read something and then "report" it right?
They are REPORTERS, they are suppossed to know what they are talking about and speak on it, if they didn't know for an absoulte I need to read NikeTalk's rules. that Wade and Riles was meeting, then they shouldn't say @#$%. They're bums, stop defending them

I highly agree. Real journalism has long BEEN dead my friend, trust it goes waaay further than just sports "reporters".

People using twitter as a reputable source
laugh.gif
sick.gif

Never too soon to look far, far ahead.
And so …

With Friday marking Major League Baseball's non-waiver trade deadline, it means we're nearing the point at which we hit the six-month countdown tothe NBA trade deadline.

Yes, there are still 100 or so free agents out there waiting to find out where they'll be playing basketball next season.

And yes, we're at that annual point of the year when teams can become somewhat delusional about their most recent acquisitions (witness Knicks coachMike D'Antoni at Team USA minicamp in Las Vegas last week, chatting up reporters and making the argument that if this Darko Milicic works out, that deal is going to go down as asteal. Vaguely recall Joe Dumars, Otis Smith andChris Wallace saying similar things.).

If you asked him, Don Nelson would assure you that DeveanGeorge (just acquired for Marco Belinelli)will end up being the missing link for Golden State. And, similarly, Larry Brown could promise you he's going to fix Tyson Chandler's free-throwshooting, Otis Smith would say he'd prefer the ball in Vince Carter's hands rather than Hedo Turkoglu's late in games, and Sen. Herb Kohl couldmake a rational argument that the giveaway of RichardJefferson makes perfect sense from an economic standpoint (even though it'll probably cost the Milwaukee Bucks more in lost ticket revenue and fan ill will than it'llmake up for in cost containment).

Just about everybody in the NBA is an optimist when July turns into August, but as certain as it is that Ron Artest will do something mind-blowing before the exhibitionseason even ends, it is a sound premise that reality will catch up to half of the NBA six months from now, and the final fire sale before the Summer of LeBronwill commence.

The Knicks will likely still need to clear cap room. The Raptors will need another thug to complement Reggie Evans as they go all-in on Building to Keep Bosh, and theNets will be dumping bodies like the Sopranos as the possible Bruce Ratner/Mikhail Prokhorov partnership's cost-cutting mode goes into hyperdrive, alongwith the odds on their next home address shifting from Brooklyn toward San Jose, Anaheim, Kansas City and/or Seattle.

Yes, we're getting ahead of ourselves here, but basketball's silly season needn't be so silly if we take a serious look at who might be on themove before the Feb. 18 deadline.

So here's an early Top 10 Most Likely to be Traded List as we slog through the summer of David Lee's Personal Economic Recession:

532.jpg

McGrady​

1. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=0532Tracy McGrady, Rockets
Remember last February how the Portland Trail Blazerswere describing Raef LaFrentz's expiring deal as a "super-expiring" contract, because not only was it coming off the books; insurance was payingthe tab. The Blazers ended up valuing it too high and were unable to move it for Vince Carter or Richard Jefferson, so it'll be interesting tosee how much value Rockets GM Daryl Morey will place on McGrady's expiring deal. (Currently, Houston's front office is calling it a "super-duperexpiring contract.")

McGrady's $23.2 million salary will come off the books in the summer of '10, and McGrady (don't laugh here) could make the difference for alegit title contender (OK, we take that back, history permits you to laugh) if he's back from microfracture surgery by January and can show something inthe weeks leading up to the deadline.

990.jpg

Curry​

2. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=990Eddy Curry, Knicks
Donnie Walsh will be in uber-desperation mode by the trade deadline, and he'll give the chubby kid away for a bag of basketballs if he'sable to take back expiring contracts that'll enable him to go after a second max-level free agent next July. The chubby part will be key, however, becausealthough Curry reportedly showed up 30 pounds lighter when he checked in with the Knicks in Vegas, he declined their request to play in summer league games.Team insiders say he has another 20 pounds to go -- at a minimum -- before he's down near his listed weight of 285.

703.jpg

Richardson​

3. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=703Quentin Richardson, Timberwolves
This, of course, assumes that Richardson has not been dealt elsewhere by February -- which we should probably expect to happen given the fact thatthe guy has been traded three times already this summer, all the deals involving some of the league's most downtrodden teams and biggest busts of the pastdecade. To quote Bill Simmons' most recent and super-entertaining NBA column, "Basically, you can tie every single bad thing that happened in the NBA this past decade to Richardson with 10 or fewerwords [and Simmons references Darko Milicic, ZachRandolph, the Knicks-Nuggets brawl, Anucha Browne Sanders, Ruben Patterson, Donald Sterling, Robert Sarver and more in backing up that statement]. Call it Two Degrees of QuentinRichardson."

849.jpg

Thomas​

4. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=849Kenny Thomas, Kings
The Knicks were checking up on him earlier this summer while second-guessing themselves for not acquiring him last January when they could havehad his 2010 expiring contract in exchange for NateRobinson (not D-Antoni's favorite all-time player) and Jared Jeffries, who, along with his cap-killing sidekick, Curry, combine to take up nearly 40 percent of the Knicks' 2010-11 cap.

If I am Geoff Petrie, by February the price of acquiring Thomas in a Jeffries dump will have escalated, and I'll be asking for Jordan Hill in the package, too. I'd also ask for theKnicks' upcoming No.1 pick, but that lottery-bound prize is long gone, Isiah Thomas having sent it to Phoenix in the Stephon Marbury deal. If Walsh ever dangles his '12 pick, maybe he can get someone to take Curry/Jeffries.

396.jpg

Johnson​

5. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=396Anthony Johnson, Magic
Back in 2000, Johnson was the only player to be dealt on trade deadline day, going from Atlanta to Orlando for a conditional future second-rounddraft pick. Stan Van Gundy had no use for him in the Finals after AJ had been a rock for the Magic through the first three rounds of the playoffs (Yes, Stanhad to play Jameer Nelson. But couldn't AJ havegotten a sniff when Rafer Alston was struggling?), andsomebody in contention and playing on tilt will want some veteran insurance at the point (that could be you, Bryan Colangelo, when you look down your bench andtake a long, hard gaze at Roko Ukic. Just be prepared tothrow in a healthy chunk of cash to help Magic owner Rich DeVos tackle his luxury-tax tab). We also should note here that the Miami Heat have a $4.26 million trade exception (Marcus Banks) that expires next Feb. 15, and Portland has a $2.9million exception (Ike Diogu) that expires Feb 18.

45.jpg

Battie​

6. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=45Tony Battie, Nets
As we approach the midpoint of the Summer of Gortat, let us all pause for a minute to recall how Marcin Gortat was such an offensive liability in the Twin Towersalignment Stan Van Gundy used in the Finals that he instead turned to Battie, who was jettisoned in the Vince Carter trade. Battie has an expiring $6.3 milliondeal, and there will be interest from undersized legit contenders (the Lakers post-Odom?) willing to toss $3 million in cash the Nets' way. (On a relatedand half-serious note, by mid-February we also expect the layoff-happy Nets to have fewer total front-office employees than roster spots). Battie can stillbang, and he can still knock down the 19-footer.

181.jpg

Dampier​

7. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=181Erick Dampier, Mavericks
Mark Cuban has been dying to get rid of him since not long after the fateful summer of 2004 in which he ended up with the 7-footer as hisconsolation prize after refusing to match what the Phoenix Sunswere offering Steve Nash. Dampier's $13.1 millionsalary for 2010-11 is non-guaranteed, so teams seeking to clear cap space should be willing to pay a premium to acquire an expiring deal of this size.(Remember, the Nets had to toss in building block RyanAnderson to get Orlando to take Carter's contract off their hands.) This, of course, assumes that Cuban's Core of Geriatrics hasn'tbroken down by mid-February.

3194.jpg

Chandler​

8. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3194Wilson Chandler, Knicks
Hate to keep getting back to all these Knicks possibilities, but unless and until Donnie Walsh refocuses his sights on the summer of '11, hewill be diligent in his efforts to clear cap space for a second heavy hitter in the summer of '10. In late June, New York could have had Jeffries andChandler off its '10-11 cap in exchange for the No. 5 pick (which became Ricky Rubio) and Etan Thomas, but Washington bailed when the Knicks tried to makeit a bigger deal. Of the six players Walsh has under contract for '10-11 (Curry, Jeffries, Chandler, Jordan Hill, Toney Douglas and Danilo Gallinari), only the Italian kid is considereduntouchable. Chandler has some actual value, and to a lesser degree so do Chris Duhon (expiring $6.03 contract) and the insurance-covered expiring deal belonging to Cuttino Mobley ($9.5 million).

568.jpg

Mohammed​

9. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=568Nazr Mohammed, Bobcats
At some point in February, Larry Brown should hit the 90 percent mark in terms of turning over his entire roster since coming aboard last fall. Itremains to be seen whether owner Bob Johnson, who is selling the franchise, will ante up enough coin later this summer to sign Raymond Felton to an extension (the talks are currentlydescribed as "stalemated"), so he could be in play, too, by the time February rolls around. But Mohammed seems a better bet to be dealt, with themarket for backup big men always a bit more robust when contenders believe they are only one spare 7-footer away from a championship.

11.jpg

Alston​

10. Rafer Alston, Nets
He has an expiring $5.25 million deal, and he'll be as available as he was in Houston last January should some contending team lose its pointguard to an injury, After all, plugging in Skip worked for the Magic last season, and you'd imagine at some point next season one of the title contendersis going to have a key injury hole to fill before the playoffs. New Jersey also has Bobby Simmons ($10.6 million), Trenton Hassell ($4.3 million) and Sean Williams ($1.6 million) on expiring deals

Originally Posted by KingJay718

If I'm Michael Redd, I'd demand a trade out of Milwaukee. They've failed to surround this dude with quality talent, since he re-upped with them.
he shoulda went to the Cavs when he had the chance
smh.gif

laugh.gif

If they did offer and yet another guy took less money to stay away from there, then great for me, but I doubt it.

And really? These guys have a job to report off twitter? Then I guess you and I are reporters too, because we can read something and then "report" it right?
They are REPORTERS, they are suppossed to know what they are talking about and speak on it, if they didn't know for an absoulte I need to read NikeTalk's rules. that Wade and Riles was meeting, then they shouldn't say @#$%. They're bums, stop defending them
What's wrong with reporting something off an athlete's twitter? As long as the twitter account is confirmed it's as good as an actualquote, provided that the reporter points out that his source was a tweet. If it's inaccurate, so be it, athletes and front office people lie all the timein interviews. Hopefully the reporter will dig deeper and confirm the information from the tweet with someone else but that's not always an option in theage of 24/7 sports coverage.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

laugh.gif

What's wrong with reporting something off an athlete's twitter? As long as the twitter account is confirmed it's as good as an actual quote, provided that the reporter points out that his source was a tweet. If it's inaccurate, so be it, athletes and front office people lie all the time in interviews. Hopefully the reporter will dig deeper and confirm the information from the tweet with someone else but that's not always an option in the age of 24/7 sports coverage.

DWade twitter never said, "Pat Riley and I are flying out to LA to talk to Lamar Odom"

He begged and begged thru twitter, sure, but Wade never said Riley was flyin anywhere. That is bad reporting

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

laugh.gif

What's wrong with reporting something off an athlete's twitter? As long as the twitter account is confirmed it's as good as an actual quote, provided that the reporter points out that his source was a tweet. If it's inaccurate, so be it, athletes and front office people lie all the time in interviews. Hopefully the reporter will dig deeper and confirm the information from the tweet with someone else but that's not always an option in the age of 24/7 sports coverage.

DWade twitter never said, "Pat Riley and I are flying out to LA to talk to Lamar Odom"

He begged and begged thru twitter, sure, but Wade never said Riley was flyin anywhere. That is bad reporting
I agree it's bad reporting if the journalist doesn't report the proper information off the tweet, but, generally speaking, I don't seeanything wrong with citing something off twitter.

Back
Top Bottom