NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Magic - They have the best collection of talent in the East
Celtics - Reload for another run at the championship
Cavaliers - New additions should help them in the long run
Hawks - Return the same core from last season's near 50 win team
Pistons - Talent is too good to miss the playoffs in the East
Heat - Expect another great season from Wade and Beasley to break out
Wizards - Should be back in the playoffs, provided they're healthy
Raptors - Nudge out the other 3-5 teams for the last spot

Just missed out:
Bulls - Loss of Gordon will be too much to overcome
Sixers - Losing Miller creates a big gap at PG
On paper...the Raptors are better than the Pistons.
I think it's close, but the Pistons have a tad bit more depth at the moment.

On Monday, we looked at the star-studded free-agent class of 2010, and there's more good news for fans eager to see some moves next summer: Nearly a third of the league will have enough salary-cap space to make a run at one or more free agents.
Given current projections, nine teams -- the New Jersey Nets, New York Knicks, Miami Heat, Minnesota Timberwolves, Houston Rockets, Chicago Bulls, Oklahoma City Thunder, Los Angeles Clippers and Sacramento Kings -- could have significant money under the salary cap to spend in 2009.

Now for the bad news: Teams won't be nearly as far under the cap as they had hoped.

Last summer, NBA GMs were projecting a cap of $62 million to $64 million in the summer of 2010. But when the league reported the cap numbers for next season on June 30, the league memo mentioned that the NBA is now projecting a 5-10 percent decrease in the cap for the summer of 2010.

A 5 percent decrease makes for a $53.6 million cap next year (down $4 million from last season's $57.7 million cap). A 10 percent worst-case scenario? Teams will be playing with a cap below $50 million.

That means teams such as the Knicks that were projecting a $64 million cap will likely have $10 million to $14 million less to work with than they thought they would just 12 months ago.

Ouch.

So how much will each team have to spend? It's an inexact science a year away, but here's what our research came up with. For the purposes of this projection, we're going with a $53.6 million cap.

[h3]New Jersey Nets[/h3]
New Jersey has one of the best opportunities to land a big-time free agent. The Nets are likely to be somewhere between $25 million and $27 million under the cap, depending on where they draft and the number of cap holds they have on their roster next summer.

[h3]New York Knicks[/h3]
The Knicks aren't too far behind New Jersey. They could have $24 million in cap space next summer, though there are a few caveats for Knicks fans.

First, that number is with only six players under contract and six minimum cap holds. Second, it doesn't factor in David Lee or Nate Robinson. If they sign for more than a one-year deal, the number goes down significantly. GM Donnie Walsh will try hard this summer to trade Jared Jeffries and/or Eddy Curry for an expiring contract to clear more cap space, but in this economic climate, it won't be easy.

[h3]Miami Heat[/h3]
The Heat are also poised to have some serious cap room next year. If Dwyane Wade opts out, they technically won't have one guaranteed contract on their books. More realistically, though, they'll pick up options on Michael Beasley, Daequan Cook and Mario Chalmers and keep Wade's cap hold -- putting them at between $20 million and $22 million under the cap next season. (This number comes with an assumption that they waive a few guys, including James Jones.)

Those are the three teams with the big bucks. But a few other teams can get $10 million or more under the cap as well:

[h3]Minnesota Timberwolves[/h3]
The Timberwolves should be between $16 million and $18 million under the cap next season, depending on whether they pick up their option on Ryan Gomes. New GM David Kahn should be poised to spend the money. But the real question is, will any top NBA free agent choose the Wolves over big-market teams like the Knicks, Nets, Bulls and Heat?

[h3]Chicago Bulls[/h3]
The Bulls can get between $13 million and $15 million under the cap if they decide to dump Tyrus Thomas, who will be a restricted free agent. If they extend Thomas or sign him as a free agent (or just keep his cap hold on the books, for that matter), they'll have significantly less.

The other factor for the Bulls will be what John Salmons does. Salmons has an early-termination option in his contract. If he terminates his contract and the Bulls don't re-sign him, they would clear an extra $6 million in cap room and could get as much as $20 million under the cap.

[h3]Oklahoma City Thunder[/h3]
The Thunder will also be in good shape.

GM Sam Presti has been spending his money carefully and should have $14 million to $15 million in room next summer.

[h3]Houston Rockets[/h3]

The Rockets, assuming they don't re-sign Tracy McGrady, can get $12 million to $14 million under if they don't pick up team options on Carl Landry and Chuck Hayes. However, they have a couple of significant restricted free agents -- Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry -- whom they probably want to keep. If they keep both, they'll have much less cap room. All of this assumes that the injured Yao Ming won't terminate his max contract in 2010.

[h3]Los Angeles Clippers[/h3]
The Clippers could get around $10 million or $11 million under next season, and if they could find a way to clear a little more cap room, I actually think they could be a serious free-agent player. With a young nucleus of Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon and Al Thornton, along with a veteran point guard like Baron Davis, they could be pretty attractive to a top-level free agent who wants to play in L.A. If they found a home for Chris Kaman, that would give them another $10 million in room. I know it's the Clippers, folks, but they have a better young team to build around than the Knicks or Nets do.

[h3]Sacramento Kings[/h3]
The Kings should be somewhere between $9 million and $10 million under the cap. But given their financial woes of late, they might not be as willing to spend it as would some other teams.

A few other teams could have big money if one of their top free agents leaves next summer.

The Cavs could be between $19 million and $20 million under the cap if LeBron James left. The Suns could be between $7 million and $8 million under if Amare Stoudemire bolted. And the Raptors could clear between $6 million and $7 million under if Chris Bosh changed uniforms.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider

OC posts everytime LeBron scratches his @#$, wonder why he ain't post this yet.........

[h2]LeBron hints he'll explore free agency[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

AKRON, Ohio -- LeBron James is unlikely to accept a contract extension from the Cleveland Cavaliers until after the 2009-10 season, when he can become a free agent.

1966.jpg

James

At an event to unveil his latest signature sneaker for Nike, James, who has given no indication he plans to leave the Cavs, made his strongest comments yet about his future. The NBA's reigning MVP said he signed a three-year contract in 2006 with an option so he would have more flexibility once it expires.

"I signed a contract in 2006 with an option," he said. "It would make no sense for me to sign that contract if I didn't keep my options open. I'll let you fill in the blanks."

The Cavaliers offered James a contract extension last month. The 24-year-old said his agent, Leon Rose, and Cavs general manager Danny Ferry have had "a great conversation."

James doesn't expect his future to be a distraction for the Cavs, who acquired All-Star center Shaquille O'Neal this offseason.

1. cavs
2.magic
3.celtics
4.wizard-if theyre healthy with a healthy hibachi and the addition of foye,miller and flip at coach
5.Raps
6.hawks
7.heat
8.bulls

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Magic - They have the best collection of talent in the East
Celtics - Reload for another run at the championship
Cavaliers - New additions should help them in the long run
Hawks - Return the same core from last season's near 50 win team
Pistons - Talent is too good to miss the playoffs in the East
Heat - Expect another great season from Wade and Beasley to break out
Wizards - Should be back in the playoffs, provided they're healthy
Raptors - Nudge out the other 3-5 teams for the last spot

Just missed out:
Bulls - Loss of Gordon will be too much to overcome
Sixers - Losing Miller creates a big gap at PG
On paper...the Raptors are better than the Pistons.
On paper means nothing, Raptors are garbage and will be garbage after Bosh leaves

Thanks UCLAMIKE

I mentioned it in the Nets thread that this money we will have might be saved for the players on our roster now.

Brook, YI, CDR, TWill, and even Devin when it comes time for an extension (I believe he can after next season.)

Sure, If James or Wade show interest, go for it but at the end of the day, James is a Cav, Wade is in a bulls or Heat jersey.

Miami to have between $20 million and $22 million of cap space next season AFTER re-signing Wad3 is HUGE plus we have the no Florida state tax to help (IfRiles plays it right, he'll be acting like we have about $26-$30 Mil or more in cap space)
pimp.gif

^
According to a source close to Iverson on Thursday, Riley reached out to the 10-time NBA All-Star recently to let him know that the Heat "has continued interest in (Iverson's) services" and also that Miami "could be a great opportunity for us." Miami Herald

According to the source, the Heat has not yet made a concrete offer to Iverson. But Riley has told Iverson's camp that he will soon get back to them. Riley, according to the source, also asked that "before (Iverson) considers accepting any (other) offer, to please get back with him." Miami Herald

Originally Posted by CP1708

OC posts everytime LeBron scratches his @#$, wonder why he ain't post this yet.........

[h2]LeBron hints he'll explore free agency[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

http://
AKRON, Ohio -- LeBron James is unlikely to accept a contract extension from the Cleveland Cavaliers until after the 2009-10 season, when he can become a free agent.

1966.jpg

James

At an event to unveil his latest signature sneaker for Nike, James, who has given no indication he plans to leave the Cavs, made his strongest comments yet about his future. The NBA's reigning MVP said he signed a three-year contract in 2006 with an option so he would have more flexibility once it expires.

"I signed a contract in 2006 with an option," he said. "It would make no sense for me to sign that contract if I didn't keep my options open. I'll let you fill in the blanks."

The Cavaliers offered James a contract extension last month. The 24-year-old said his agent, Leon Rose, and Cavs general manager Danny Ferry have had "a great conversation."

James doesn't expect his future to be a distraction for the Cavs, who acquired All-Star center Shaquille O'Neal this offseason.

laugh.gif

I'm sorry, I try to be productive throughout the day....

Lebron would be foolish to not keep his options open...including not opting out and signing an extension off of the full 4 year contract. Waiting one more yearand then signing an extension by not opting out makes him the most money if the cap does go down.

Of course Ferry would have been an even bigger fool to not at least offer the extension. Even if there was only ever a less than 1% chance for the extension,you have to offer it. Hey, if having Lebron is like winning the lottery, Ferry has to at least buy a ticket and attempt to sign him as soon as he'seligible.

I am sure the talks went like this:

Ferry: "Hey Leon, what ever Lebron wants, he gets, but this is our official offer"

Rose: "Lebron appreciates the offer, but at this time he wants to keep the options open"

Ferry: "OK, but remember, Lebron can have anything he wants, My house, My car, My wife...anything"

Rose: "We will keep that offer in mind, oh and please send a photo of your wife"

All joking aside, at this point it is a mere formality that we all knew nothing would come of it.

Originally Posted by chr1scross

^
According to a source close to Iverson on Thursday, Riley reached out to the 10-time NBA All-Star recently to let him know that the Heat "has continued interest in (Iverson's) services" and also that Miami "could be a great opportunity for us." Miami Herald

According to the source, the Heat has not yet made a concrete offer to Iverson. But Riley has told Iverson's camp that he will soon get back to them. Riley, according to the source, also asked that "before (Iverson) considers accepting any (other) offer, to please get back with him." Miami Herald

iverson and wade will be a nice back court during crunch times when we will need scoring... both are quick, good at coming off screens and are notafraid of taking it to the rim...
maybe ai got a reality check when he didnt get big offers from contending teams... now if we can just find a way to get boozer for decent trade...

Denver has traded Steven Hunter and a 2010 lottery protect 1st round pick to Memphis for a future second rounder, league source tells Y!3 minutes ago from web
Denver's unloading of Steven Hunter clears $3.67 million of cap/tax off books, and clears a roster spot.2 minutes ago from web
If this is true, good job by Memphis racking up another 1st round pick next year. That's three 1st round picks in next year's draft(MEM, DEN, LAL).

Yeah, not bad getting the storage picks like that. The 2 from LAL and Den will be late picks, but maybe package them and move up to a spot, or, if things workout well with Gasol, Gay, OJ, and Thabeet, just keep all 3 picks and add to the youth of the team while the 4 young stars come into their own.

Not bad, not bad........

Leave him alone on this one Mike.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Yeah, not bad getting the storage picks like that. The 2 from LAL and Den will be late picks, but maybe package them and move up to a spot, or, if things work out well with Gasol, Gay, OJ, and Thabeet, just keep all 3 picks and add to the youth of the team while the 4 young stars come into their own.

Not bad, not bad........

Leave him alone on this one Mike.

roll.gif

I'll put some money down that Mike won't say anything positive about the Grizz this season. Period.

The 2 from LAL and Den will be late picks, but maybe package them and move up to a spot
when is the last time in the NBA that has happened?

im asking cause people say that every year and i can't remember last time a team did it

its like team ______ has 3 1st round draft picks and will use them to move up and it never goes down

Wallace Returns To Detroit With 1-Year Deal

Detroit News - 08/07 - 2:01 PM EST (AP Photo)

The Pistons have agreed to terms with Ben Wallace on a one-year deal worth $1.3 million.
The former Defensive Player of the Year is expected to sign the deal next week.
Wallace was a fixture with the Pistons from 2000-06 but will be expected to contribute sparingly next season.

At least Memphis won't have a shortage of centers with Gasol, Thabeet, HH and Hunter.

I think they might waive Hunter because that'll be the 13th player on the roster since they signed Marcus Williams. I think they're still looking for amore affective player. But, you can't really have too many bigs.
when is the last time in the NBA that has happened?

im asking cause people say that every year and i can't remember last time a team did it

its like team ______ has 3 1st round draft picks and will use them to move up and it never goes down

I don't usually see it happen either. But, it depends on how far moving up you talking about. It will be a deep draft so two picks between25th-30th for maybe the 20th pick would be about right. Players could also be added to trade one of those picks away to move up even higher.

Basically Memphis traded Hak for a 1st round pick and an expiring. Not that bad. What's wrong with Denver always trading their 1st round picks. Idon't think they actually made a 1st round selection since 05'.

Denver tries to avoid paying the luxury tax by trading away picks and picking up veterans for cheap like Birdman and Anthony Carter.

SMH @ everyone leaving the Pistons out of the playoffs and adding teams like the Raptors, Nets, and even the Bobcats
smh.gif

^ I don't even know how the Pistons made the playoffs last season..

I'll take the Raptors over them tho.. no question..

Originally Posted by Mateen Cleaves

SMH @ everyone leaving the Pistons out of the playoffs and adding teams like the Raptors, Nets, and even the Bobcats
smh.gif
Let's see, your two best players play the exact same spot. BG and Rip
Prince is solid, but certainly not a 1 or 2 option, maybe not even a third. He's like the best 4th option in the league.
Stuckey is ok, but come on, he's not franchise material. Bynum, eh.
Who are your bigs again?
Charlie is going to get a lot of shots, and, well, he,......he's going to shoot alot.
Who are your bigs again?
Ben is done
Kwame is still around

They just don't have it. I see them falling a ton this season and probably breaking some peices off big time. They completely screwed up the 10 offseasonwith all the ridiculous money they threw at Gordon and Charlie, they are no where near winning anything right now, so why keep Rip and Prince around? I thinkone or both get moved for picks, players, and to free back up some salary so that even if they can't get a LeBron, they could pick up a scrap heap type guywho may not find a market after all the big names are gone.

i was about to say that mike. Late first round picks usually have little trade value

Back
Top Bottom