NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

YoungTriz wrote:
heat23 wrote:
TH0MAS CR0WN wrote:
heat23 wrote:
JPZx wrote:
I was trying to be stealthy
laugh.gif

I know, I'm just being an ***#&!% because I cant sleep and I have to show some houses @ 9am
sick.gif
laugh.gif
grin.gif

You a Real estate agent?
nerd.gif

Yes sir! I'm a Realtor w/Century21 in Middleburg Hts,OH (I work in the suburbs of Cleveland) , and soon to be a Real Estate Broker in the beautiful State of Florida
pimp.gif

how did you become a heat fan?

Born and raised in Miami (Kendall).........I'm movin back this year!!!

well, like most heat fans he became a fan about 3 years ago

......im jp
tongue.gif

laugh.gif
Naw, been a fan since my pops made me wear the tuxedo t-shirt to theMiami Arena for Miami Heat games in the 1st season (true Heat fans know what I'm talking about!!!)
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Scottsauce88

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

Originally Posted by heat23

TH0MAS CR0WN wrote:
heat23 wrote:
JPZx wrote:
I was trying to be stealthy
laugh.gif

I know, I'm just being an ***#&!% because I cant sleep and I have to show some houses @ 9am
sick.gif
laugh.gif
grin.gif

You a Real estate agent?
nerd.gif

Yes sir! I'm a Realtor w/Century21 in Middleburg Hts,OH (I work in the suburbs of Cleveland) , and soon to be a Real Estate Broker in the beautiful State of Florida
pimp.gif

how did you become a heat fan?

well, like most heat fans he became a fan about 3 years ago

......im jp
tongue.gif

you need to have a lot of heart if you are still a fan after what we have been through the last couple years... 1st round sweep, 15 game winseason, wheel chair/whistle jokes, ricky davis, quinn and blount on our team...
smh.gif
blount still getting paid 8mill...

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Five NBA Players Who'll Make a Leap in 2010http://www.emptythebench.com/2009/07/29/improved-nba-players-2010/[/h2] [h3]July 29, 2009[/h3]
http://www.emptythebench.com/2009/07/29/improved-nba-players-2010/
By: Zachariah Blotthttp://www.emptythebench.com/2009/07/29/improved-nba-players-2010/

With a slew of free agents holding new contracts, scores of youngsters showing their thing in Vegas and Orlando, and a couple guys being traded, it's time to look at who is in a position to pick up their production and positive input to their team next season.

For some of them, it's a matter of a new environment or teammates providing better opportunities. Most of them, though, showed they were starting to get it by the end of last year and should be able to keep it rolling in 09-10.
[h4]Anthony Randolph, PF, Golden State Warriors[/h4]
2008-09: 18 minutes, 8 pts, 6 rebs, 1.2 blocks, 0.7 steals, 46% FG

Why He'll Improve: There isn't much I can say here that most NBA fans don't already know about this guy. Remember how awesome Jermaine O'Neal was for that stretch with Indiana before he became riddled with injuries? Well, Randolph is going to be that guy next year.

He started getting some serious time on the court in March when he averaged 23 minutes a game, and all of a sudden was averaging 9 points (over 50% from the field), 7 boards, and 2 blocks. In April, the Warriors wisely made Randolph the starter, giving him 32 minutes a night in eight games: all he did was put up 15, 10.6, 1 block, 1.5 steals and an assist-TO rate above 1.

Then Randolph blew up the Summer League two weeks ago with 27 points, 8.5 rebounds, and 3 blocks per game. Those rebounds would have been up around 10 or 11 if he didn't spend the last game ravaging the Bulls with 42 points, 4 steals and 3 blocks.

He can do everything. Everything. It's not difficult to see him as the best player from the class of 2008 by as soon as the end of next season.

Prediction: 35 minutes, 18 pts, 11 rebs, 1.5 blocks, 1.5 steals, 50-55% FG

Anthony Randolph Photo Credit: Icon SMI
[h4]Mike Conley, PG, Memphis Grizzlies[/h4]
2008-09: 31 minutes, 11 pts, 4.3-1.7 assists-TO, 1.1 steals, 44% FG, 41% 3FG

Why He'll Improve: The super-quick point had a so-so rookie season in 07-08. Conley used his speed to trouble defenders, getting into the lane and making some decent passing decisions, but his shot was as bad as advertised before the 2007 draft. The beginning of his sophomore season looked to be the same, until the Grizzlies signed Lionel Hollins as head coach in January. Memphis picked up the pace and played with confidence. Their youth was still evident, but Conley definitely made great strides.

Here are his pre- and post-All Star Game averages last year: 9 pts became 14.5; 42% FG and 37% 3FG became 46% and 44%; 3.6 assists became 5.6; 2.4 A-TO rate became 2.5; 0.8 steals became 1.7. Conley should turn in even better performances next year because his teammates will give him many opportunities to rack up assists, which enables Conley to select his shots more judiciously. O.J. Mayo and Marc Gasol will no longer be rookies, Rudy Gay has always done well in an up-tempo game, and for everything else Zach Randolph is, he can score the ball when it's in his hands.

If Conley's doing the smart thing and shooting 1,000-plus jumpers each day this offseason to push his improved shooting numbers even further upwards, his fourth year removed from high school could be a nice one.

Prediction: 36 minutes, 15 points, 7-9 assists, 1.7 steals, 47-49% FG, 45% 3FG

Three more NBA youngsters bound to improve next season after the break…
[h4]Greg Oden, C, Portland Trailblazers[/h4]
2008-09: 21 minutes, 9 pts, 7 rebs, 1.1 blocks, 56% FG, 4 fouls

Why He'll Improve: Oden had 18 double-doubles in 61 games last season, and he was 1 or 2 rebounds away from 7 more. Did I mention he averaged 21 minutes per game and only 23 in his 39 starts? And that he was coming off microfracture surgery? And that he was a rookie?

In case you didn't read or see anything about the USA Mini-camp last week, Oden was the dominant defensive player most people remember him being at Ohio State. He owned the paint defensively-blocking shots, intimidating opponents into countless bad shots, rebounding well-because he's A) starting to get his quickness back 22 months after having knee surgery, and B) he's becoming a lot more aware of where he needs to be in order to stay out of the foul trouble he was consistently in his rookie year.

With Andre Miller (known for attacking the paint in order to set up lobs to big men) controlling the rock this upcoming year in Portland, an improved understanding of positioning in order to block shots and take charges instead of committing silly fouls, and more time on the floor so that he can continue to average 10.5 rebounds per 30 minutes of burn (that would have ranked Oden in the top-5 last year), Oden could be in for a season that gets the "bust" whispers out of the mouths of some Blazer fans.

Prediction: 27 minutes, 12 - 14 pts, 11 rebs, 1.5 - 2 blocks, 58-60% FG
[h4]Jason Thompson and Spencer Hawes, F/Cs, Sacramento Kings[/h4]
2008-09: These two combined for 22.5 pts, 14.5 rebs, 2 blocks, 48% FG

Why They'll Improve: Thompson and Hawes are both young and both improved significantly over last season even though the Kings really sucked. After the All-Star break, they went for 26, 17, 2, and 50%.

Throw in a hopefully healthy Kevin Martin, an athletic Tyreke Evans who should pass and shoot enough to get the pair some easy layups and boards, and another year of experience for the first- and second-year big men, and these two could be a nice inside presence that could prevent other teams from focusing all their efforts on stopping Martin and Evans.

Prediction: 30 pts, 19 rebs, 2.5 blocks, 55% FG combined

I'd comment on retiring jersey's, but it would set off a hail storm of @#$% in here, and that's not really my style.
laugh.gif

Kidd will get his Jersey retired in Jersey/Brooklyn anywhere else we might be going. LOL.

We refuse to give out the Number 5 and 24 now.

I can't see why RJ's but Kidd's number five will never be worn again in Jersey and will be retired once he retires.

Updated: August 8, 2009, 9:49 PM ET

[h2]Sources: Rambis will be Wolves coach[/h2]By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

The Minnesota Timberwolves and Kurt Rambis have reached terms on a deal that will install Rambis as the Wolves' new head coach, according to NBA coaching sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Wolves are planning a Tuesday news conference to introduce Rambis as the replacement to Kevin McHale, whom Rambis famously tangled with in the 1984 NBA Finals.

Long considered a potential heir apparent to Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson, Rambis has been lured away from Jackson's staff by a four-year deal believed to be worth in excess of $8 million

After turning down the Sacramento Kings' job during the NBA Finals, Rambis was chosen by new Minnesota president David Kahn from a group of finalists that also featured ESPN analyst Mark Jackson and Houston Rockets assistant coach Elston Turner.

Kahn interviewed more than a dozen candidates in a deliberate search that began after the NBA Draft in late June.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

Originally Posted by air max 87

Originally Posted by Mateen Cleaves

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

Originally Posted by Mateen Cleaves

Originally Posted by Roscoe P Wallace

Originally Posted by JPZx

He's going to get his jersey retired?
ohwell.gif
Dude won as many DPY as Mutumbo and was the defensive cornerstone to an underdog Championship team... city of Detroit will retire his jersey for that. Plus why not play at the Vet Min for a couple years in a city that loves you, Chicago secured his financial future.
thats if he gets his #3 back.

If Allen Iverson couldnt get the 3 I don't think Ben is gonna.
season was already started
grin.gif
offseason you can change numbers

you do relize when your traded you can choose any number you want....... and stuckey wears #3 right......
you do realize that during the season a player wearing a number cant change it. Even if you could change numbers doesnt mean Iverson couldnt haveautomatically got #3 unless Stuckey gave it up. So yea your wrong.

2. How ironic is it though that Kahn hires a guy on the opposite end of the McHale clothesline, one of the iconic NBA fight images.

kevin_mchale_fouls_kurt_rambis_1984_finals2.jpg

Either Phil is coming back, or the Lakers might make a play at Coach K after the season is up. I mean, Rambis was next in line for the coaching gig in LA.

Either, I like the Rambis hiring. While Jackson was a great PG, I think eventually, a team will tune him out, ala Avery Johnson.

Originally Posted by franchise3

laugh.gif

But I'd take him over Jackson or Elson Turner who were the other options
Exactly.

There was a reason why he remained on the Lakers bench.

And yeah Franchise, I have the feeling that Mark Jackson would be very Avery-esque if he got the job.

mark jackson if truly serious about coaching, should step outa tv for a year and join a staff.

A LOT of people have gone from tv to coaching but when now youve been passed over 2 summers, ya might wana react to that. fair or not.

^ I saw that yesterday... not sure whether or not I believe it because I could only find it on two foreign blogs.

It's true, Yahoo Sports Italy is reporting now.

And yeah, really. Mark needs to join a staff. I mean, why not go after a Mario Ellie who's been with the Spurs and on other staffs if teams wanted to goformer player to coach.

I just think Mark would be one of these hard nosed coaches, who'll eventually rub players the wrong way as time goes on. Half the battle is dealing withthese players, as much as X's and O's.

Back
Top Bottom