NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

[h2]Sources: Wolves can't work buyout[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
By Ric Bucher and Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

Ricky Rubio won't be coming to the NBA until 2011 at the earliest, sources told ESPN.com Monday.

Rubio and the http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=minMinnesota Timberwolves were informed late Monday night in Spain that Rubio's former club, DKV Joventut, had agreed to trade his rights to FC Barcelona.

19272.jpg

Rubio

Rubio will be able to get out of his Barcelona contract in the summer of 2011, when the fifth pick of last June's draft will be free to join Minnesota.

The news came as a blow to Wolves general manager David Kahn, who spent the past several days in Spain negotiating with officials from DKV Joventut trying to present a worthy counter offer to the one already on the table from Barcelona for the rights to the 18-year-old point guard.

Joventut had shown itself willing to accept a discount on Rubio's astronomical $8.11 million buyout, with FC Barcelona offer reportedly offering $5.28 million.

The Timberwolves' offer, which could only include $500,000 in cash under NBA rules, would presumably have revenue streams from Rubio's endorsement deals and his four-year, $15.2 million NBA rookie-scale contract ($3.27 million salary in 09-10, $3.51 million in '10-11, with team options for $3.76 million in '11-12 and $4.76 in '12-13).

In the long term, the financial implications of getting Rubio to the NBA for the upcoming season were enormous, and would have possibly allowed him (depending on the terms of the next collective bargaining agreement) to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2014, when he would be 23.

For Kahn, this was his third trip to Spain to negotiate for Rubio's rights in the two months since the Wolves selected him with the fifth pick of the NBA draft.

"I'm very proud that the Timberwolves came to Spain to get me," Rubio said, according to El Mundo Deportivo, which reported that Kahn, Fegan and Joventut president Jordi Villacampa had dinner together Saturday night.

"It doesn't surprise me because they have been there all the time, and I always said that my priority was to go to the NBA. I know there was a meeting last night, and now there's chances for both sides," Rubio said, according to El Mundo Deportivo.

Rubio's old contract with Joventut included a 5.7 million Euro ($8.133 million) buyout clause for both this summer and next summer. The buyout dropped to zero in the summer of 2011, and Kahn has said the club is willing to wait until then for Rubio to come to the NBA.

But this latest voyage overseas signals a heightened urgency from Kahn, who has not commented publicly since last Wednesday.

Ric Bucher is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine and ESPN Insider. Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Good for Ricky.

If he's not coming to NY, then stay in Spain.
Good attitude
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

And you're acting like it was his choice.

Originally Posted by BangDak

why not trade his rights to ny, for dlee sign+trade?
Because Minnesota has no need for another PF nor additional salary.

Rubio for Chandler + future first round pick seems more realistic.

honestly, love+al jeff do not work out at all together, and they're not going anywhere these next few years.
why not take on someone like jefferies to move al back to his natural position at the 4?
i doubt they'll trade jefferies for rubio though
laugh.gif

and i hope to keep chandler, even if it creates a logjam at the wing with lebron, gallo, and chandler
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by BangDak

honestly, love+al jeff do not work out at all together, and they're not going anywhere these next few years.
why not take on someone like jefferies to move al back to his natural position at the 4?
i doubt they'll trade jefferies for rubio though
laugh.gif

and i hope to keep chandler, even if it creates a logjam at the wing with lebron, gallo, and chandler
nerd.gif
Jared Jeffries?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

39680873.jpg

"You're better than that."

I have doubts whether Jefferson and Love can work together in the long run too, but the team isn't going anywhere for the next 2-3 years so they have timeto let things play out.

roll.gif
roll.gif
at that "you're better then that"
still salty bout mike miller over shane battier? im kidding.
its an homer trade. what do you expect
embarassed.gif

Bill Simmons going for Kahn's neck ala Dumbleavy
roll.gif

ESPN's Chris Sheridan is reporting that Isiah Thomas just called David Kahn to congratulate him on his wheeling and dealing.
Questions for D. Kahn's press conference: "On the bright side, it must have been nice to visit Spain a few times, right?"

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

[h3]Chicago (8 votes)[/h3]
The Bron-Wade parallels take a twist when looking at the hometown hero factor.

Although LeBron gets to play near his home city of Akron, D-Wade is about 1,200 miles from home. Meanwhile, the Bulls have been canny in creating 2010 cap space, opening the door for Wade to make a hero's return, somewhat like MJ in 1995. And in Derrick Rose, Chicago could finally provide Wade with the kind of dynamic young point guard he has never had before.

But although everyone has speculated on his future, Wade himself hasn't said much about going back home, and anyone who has survived a Chicago winter has a clue why. Also, as many folks could tell you, going home isn't always as comfortable as keeping your distance.

And don't overlook this fact: The Bulls can't pay Wade nearly as much as Miami can.

All in all, only 15.3 percent of our panelists see Wade blowing off Miami and returning to the Windy City.

Get it done GarPaxDorf
smile.gif

[h2]Daniels Signs With BostonFor $1.99M[/h2]
Sep 01, 2009 11:09 AM EST

bos_40.gif
Marquis Daniels has signed with the Celtics, who are expected to make an announcement on Tuesday, according to a league source.

Daniels will earn a one-year biannual exception contract worth $1.99 million. The Celtics had attempted to increase Daniels' salary with a sign andtrade deal.

Via Boston Globe

Boston Celtics, IndianaPacers

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Wizards Had ReservationsAbout Rubio[/h2]
Sep 01, 2009 10:43 AM EST

was_40.gif
The Wizards held the fifth overall selection in the 2009 NBA Draft, but were not expecting Ricky Rubio to fall to them and so they decided toget multiple players in return that can contribute immediately.

Even if they held the pick, Ernie Grunfeld had reservations about selecting Rubio.

Grunfeld was well aware of the difficulty in getting Rubio out of his outlandish buyout and into an NBA uniform this season, according to a source thatspoke with the Washington Post.

Rubio's agent Dan Fegan also expressed concerns about how Rubio would play in a backcourt that also had Gilbert Arenas in it.

Via Washington Post

Washington Wizards

[h2]Clippers,Grizzlies, Thunder Talk Trade For Barry[/h2]
Sep 01, 2009 10:38 AM EST

hou_40.gif
The Rockets have been in trade discussions with several teams about moving veteran guard Brent Barry, according to several individuals withknowledge of the discussions.

The most serious talks have been with the Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies and Oklahoma City Thunder.

No deal appears imminent, but Barry will likely be traded prior to camp.

Via Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets, LosAngeles Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies, Oklahoma City Thunder

Read the Full Story Discuss Send FeedbackBuy Tickets

[h2]Bosh Now WillingTo At Least Consider Extension[/h2]
Sep 01, 2009 10:35 AM EST

tor_40.gif
While preparing to travel to South Africa to participate in the NBA's Basketball Without Borders program, Chris Bosh spoke of his closenessto Toronto.

"It's kind of crazy, I've never spent this much time in the summer here, it's great," he said. "I definitely feel closer toToronto, I know that for sure."

Bosh sounds enthusiastic about the coming season with new teammates Hedo Turkoglu, Jarrett Jack, DeMar DeRozan, Marco Belinelli and others.

"I think we're looking like a good team, and the part I like is I'm not getting too far ahead of myself," he said. "I learned thatlast year. I was like, 'Yeah, we're good and we're going to be good' and we weren't. I'm taking a more humble approach this year, andit's making me work harder.

"I don't want to do bad this year. I want this team do well and be successful as we can be - that's enough motivation for me rightnow."

Earlier this offseason, Bosh indicated that he wasn't interested in discussing an extension, but he his interest is at least slightly piqued.

"We haven't read the book yet, but when he has it ready, I'll gladly sit down and talk about it, discuss pros and cons, and come to adecision," Bosh said. "But I like that we're not sitting around, waiting around, putting all our eggs in the basket and saying we're going towait for 2010 because we want to have [salary] cap space to get players you might not be able to sign. The do-it-now approach is very motivating, foreveryone.

"We're a lot deeper and I think we have a fantastic team. If we work on the small things, we can make some noise."

Via Globe and Mail

Toronto Raptors

[h2]Report: Knicks MakingLast Push For Rubio[/h2]
Sep 01, 2009 12:11 AM EST

nyk_40.gif
The Knicks are again pushing to make a trade for Ricky Rubio, according to a league source who spoke with the Star Tribune.

Minnesota would like to acquire restricted free agents David Lee, Nate Robinson and a future No. 1 pick in the deal, while receiving cap relief for MarkBlount and Brian Cardinal.

Three separate sources who spoke with Newsday have shot down the Star Tribune's report, at least as far as the possibility of Lee being included in sucha trade.

Via Star Tribune

ill give them nate+lee+jefferies.
no way im adding in a pick. kahn still thinking he got leverage FTL
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom