NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Rockets are in rebuild mode. If Morey thought we could compete, he'd resign Artest. He didn't even offer Gortat the full MLE and we need a C, period. Instead, he went and locked up Trevor at 24 for 5 years. Shane's protege, eventual replacement.

No Yao, no TMac. 8th seed is pointless. We'd just get knocked out by the Lakers. And we won't have a lottery pick. The whole point of the lottery pick is to get a young talent or use it in trade scenarios.

Next year is gonna be rough regardless, but there's light. TMac's contract comes off the books. Land a big time FA. Yao and Battier come off in 2011. Land another big time FA or two. Then you'd have Ariza in his prime.
I have a hard time believing ya'll would make the playoffs period next season. Who will be your offensive threat in the starting lineup?Brooks and Scola? It's hard to believe that Ariza would be that much offensive power. If Houston could get Tmac back for 75% of the season, they could makethe playoffs but thats highly unlikely.

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Goldstein

the rockets suck ...

a4vu4y.jpg

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Originally Posted by kixtension

Detroit overpaid for Ben Gordon. Dude had a few good performances in the playoffs and all of a sudden gets $10 mil a year
Wrong. CHI management is just cheap, Ben has been ballin' for the past 2 years scoring 20 off the bench pretty much every year and the Bulls refused to give him an extention, yet they paid Deng. BG got exactly what he deserved with this contract and the Bulls are going to regret not even offering him a contract, especially when he lights them up for 40 a game when they play the Pistons this year.

Wasnt BG gettin his Ariza on though, I could have sworn the bnulls offered him nearly the same contract a few times.

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Originally Posted by kixtension

Detroit overpaid for Ben Gordon. Dude had a few good performances in the playoffs and all of a sudden gets $10 mil a year
Wrong. CHI management is just cheap, Ben has been ballin' for the past 2 years scoring 20 off the bench pretty much every year and the Bulls refused to give him an extention, yet they paid Deng. BG got exactly what he deserved with this contract and the Bulls are going to regret not even offering him a contract, especially when he lights them up for 40 a game when they play the Pistons this year.

Wasnt BG gettin his Ariza on though, I could have sworn the bnulls offered him nearly the same contract a few times.
You may be right, but BG wanted around 13 mil or something back when the economy was good and that was fair market value for him then (he was 2years younger and still beasting off the bench), but today on First Take he said the Bulls didn't even offer him a contract at all which is surprising, Ithough the word out of the Chi was that they would be trying to resign him aggressively.

Originally Posted by JDB1523

On a side note, I've just read two articles saying players have been skeptical to join the Cavs because they're unsure if LeBron will stay next summer. What a %@$*@*$ idiot.

smh.gif

Houston is gonna SUCK this year, but they're gonna be in a good spot for the 2010 class... Tons of money and they're gonna be one of the more desiredlocations, I'd think...

Good organization, no state income tax, tons of players live there in the offseason...

I think Houston is a hell hole of a city, but they're definitely a major draw for professional basketball players...

Mavericks would be in the same position if they ever get under the cap, as would the Spurs if they ever actually needed/wanted to dive into the high-priced FApool...

Memphis should've went after AK-47 instead of Z-Bo. Utah wants to re-sign Millsap and trading Kirilenko for Richardson would've helped them do that.Kirilenko would've fit a lot better at PF than Z-Bo.
ohwell.gif

Edit:

And why does everybody keep saying "Team ABCDEF" will be in a good spot for 2010? Who isn't in good positioning to go after a marquee player in2010?
laugh.gif
How many teams are expected to have capspace and how manymarquee players do you REALLY think will leave their respective teams?

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Houston is gonna SUCK this year, but they're gonna be in a good spot for the 2010 class... Tons of money and they're gonna be one of the more desired locations, I'd think...

Good organization, no state income tax, tons of players live there in the offseason...

I think Houston is a hell of a city and they're definitely a major draw for professional basketball players...

Mavericks would be in the same position if they ever get under the cap, as would the Spurs if they ever actually needed/wanted to dive into the high-priced FA pool...
wink.gif

Ak-47 would def. be a better fit, but he's not the same ak-47 ever since hes been injured.
only a few teams have enough cap space to sign someone like lebron to an max deal.

On a side note, I've just read two articles saying players have been skeptical to join the Cavs because they're unsure if LeBron will stay next summer. What a %@$*@*$ idiot.

Who's the idiot to which you are referring? If it's Lebron, then I agree. I think he's handled the 2010 free agency issue like a attention-lovingprima donna, and by what you've said, it's coming back to bite him in the +%$. The professional thing to do would be to ignore the 2010 issue and shootit down from ever being brought up to him in his interviews, but Lebron always seems to entertain it and feed into it whenever reporters bring it up. He'splaying for the Cleveland Cavaliers and trying to win championships with a solid squad right now, and he should say something to the effect. Now that he'sgiven off this vibe that he's willing to talk about the 2010 free agency and not dispel the notion that he might leave, other players are wary of joining afranchise that would just be Mo Williams and Old Shaq after one year. I really dislike how Lebron handles himself with this issue (the only specific game I canthink of is one of the visits to Madison Square Garden, but I know there are many other occasions). What do you objective fans think?

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

Who's the idiot to which you are referring? If it's Lebron, then I agree. I think he's handled the 2010 free agency issue like a attention-loving prima donna, and by what you've said, it's coming back to bite him in the +%$. The professional thing to do would be to ignore the 2010 issue and shoot it down from ever being brought up to him in his interviews, but Lebron always seems to entertain it and feed into it whenever reporters bring it up. He's playing for the Cleveland Cavaliers and trying to win championships with a solid squad right now, and he should say something to the effect. Now that he's given off this vibe that he's willing to talk about the 2010 free agency and not dispel the notion that he might leave, other players are wary of joining a franchise that would just be Mo Williams and Old Shaq after one year. I really dislike how Lebron handles himself with this issue (the only specific game I can think of is one of the visits to Madison Square Garden, but I know there are many other occasions). What do you objective fans think?
He has said he is determined to bring a championship to Cleveland and erase the memories of the fumble, the drive, the choke etc. He has come outand said that

LeBron has said that he loves being in Cleveland, he loves being 30 minutes from his HS, being close to his friends and that he's happy in Cleveland anddoesn't know where other notions came from. Until LeBron re-signs the issue won't go away. You think the NY media won't talk about it if LeBronsaid he doesn't want to talk about it? Give me a break. Don't be that naive, you're just finding a reason to hate on LeBron.

Who are these players that are scared to come to Cleveland? Artest. He joined the defending world Champs and gets to play in LA for the same amount of moneyas he would make in Cleveland. Arzia? He'd have the same role in Cleveland as he would in LA. If he wanted that he'd of re-signed with LA.

Fear is the single greatest motivating factor and that's all LeBron has to leverage with. He wants the Cavs to prove to him that they will do what ittakes to win. It's no different than Kobe *****ing saying he wanted out of LA. What does Mitch do? He gets Pau. LeBron wants that same type of playerin Cleveland.

Damn it.. so many NBA related threads these days (not complaining). I put this in another thread but I really meant to post it in here:

10ohcmd.jpg

I'm not being naive because the media shouldn't have a chance to ask Lebron the 2010 questions whether they want to or not, because the one andonly thing that Lebron should've done in this situation is say that he won't answer any questions about the topic - rather than leave the dooropen and entertain the questions before a Cavs game.

This might be a lot to ask since I'm just some NT idiot "finding a reason to hate on Lebron," but this is the ONLY way to show the franchise, thefans, the viewers, the reporters, and prospective teammates that he's completely committed to the Cavaliers. Anything short of that - i.e. consistentlyentertaining the topic with reporters - would naturally leave some doubt in the franchise, the viewers, the reporters, and prospective teammates, becauseobviously it's on his mind to some extent.

It doesn't mean that Lebron won't stay in Cleveland and that he doesn't love it there. It just means that he didn't handle it the right way,and players might be wary of the impression they're getting from his actions when weighing whether or not to sign with Cleveland by choice (this beingcompletely different than the GM trading for someone to appease his star, who doesn't have much of a say).

I don't really feel like digging up the interviews and postgame conferences to illustrate my point here, I'm just going off my memory and impression.If he had deflected the topic professionally, my impression of Lebron would've been more favorable - I'm not looking for ways to hate on him. P.S.KingJames23 is getting defensive after someone criticized Lebron James - I don't want to jump to any conclusions here... I admire that you did back up yourargument, but just because I criticized your favorite player doesn't mean I wasn't being objective. Please point out where I wasn't being objectiveand was just "hating"

Originally Posted by blackxme

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

I think Houston is a hell of a city and they're definitely a major draw for professional basketball players...
wink.gif
laugh.gif
I meant to say I think Houston is a HELL HOLE of acity... It's hot. It's humid. The highways and roads suck. It's got some kinda odd stench... I HATE Houston...

But for whatever reason, NBA players love living there and it's one of the more popular road stops... But it's a good franchises, there's no stateincome, cheap real estate, plenty of night life... The Texas teams are all prime locations for free agents because of all those things...
Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

And why does everybody keep saying "Team ABCDEF" will be in a good spot for 2010? Who isn't in good positioning to go after a marquee player in 2010?
laugh.gif
How many teams are expected to have capspace and how many marquee players do you REALLY think will leave their respective teams?
A lot of the teams positioning themselves have NO CHANCE of landing any real assets... And I've said continuously that prepping for 2010 andbanking on that offseason to put you over the top was a risky proposition at best... That's the reason I've said you could probably get great dealsright now on the trade market, with teams looking to dump quality players to shed salary for that offseason...

But the Rockets, I think, are one of the few teams in a genuinely good spot, because of the reasons I touched on above...

[h2]Marion, Raptors still working on deal[/h2]

Comment Email Print ESPN.com news services

The Toronto Raptors, after repeatedly being linked to Portland-bound Hedo Turkoglu, focused their free-agent efforts on re-signing forward Shawn Marion.

However, signals are mixed regarding how close the sides are to a new deal.

[h4]Shawn Marion[/h4] [h5]#0 SF
Toronto Raptors[/h5]
2009 STATS
  • GM42
  • PPG12.0
  • RPG8.7
  • APG1.8
  • FG%.482
  • FT%.788

The Toronto Globe and Mail reported Friday that the Raptors have a four-year deal on the table worth more than $8 million per year, but sources close to the situation told ESPN.com later Friday that a verbal agreement is not imminent.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Raptors are offering a four-year deal in the $36 million range, but Marion is said to be seeking a five-year deal in the $50 million range, similar to what Turkoglu is likely to receive from the Trail Blazers.

There is growing belief around the league that the Raptors and Marion will ultimately reach an agreement given the long history between Raptors president Bryan Colangelo and Marion -- Colangelo drafted Marion in Phoenix in 1999 -- and the limited number of options for both sides.

One source close to the process cautioned to ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard that closing the gap "could take a while."

With or without Marion, Toronto is interested free-agent forwards from Linas Kleiza and Raptors alumnus Carlos Delfino and has not abandoned hope of finding a way to retain Colangelo-favorite Anthony Parker. Kleiza and Parker are also drawing interest from the Cleveland Cavaliers, who missed out on initial targets Ron Artest and Trevor Ariza.

Marion averaged 14.3 points and 8.3 rebounds in 27 games with the Raptors last season after Toronto sent Jermaine O'Neal and Jamario Moon to Miami in a midseason deal for Marion and Marcus Banks. The Raptors finished a disappointing season strong by having Marion and Andrea Bargnani flanking Chris Bosh in stead of playing a traditional center.

5/50 million??? Marion can go kick rocks.
laugh.gif

Houston is definitely one of the most desirable cities to live and play at. After New York/Los Angeles, it's probably in the same line of cities like Miamiand Phoenix.

knicks
Heat
houston
bulls
NJ(this is a big MAYBE)

are the only teams i can see getting the huge names and the 2nd star players that want to join them. everyone else will get the left overs which ant that badnext year

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

knicks
Heat
houston
bulls
NJ(this is a big MAYBE)

are the only teams i can see getting the huge names and the 2nd star players that want to join them. everyone else will get the left overs which ant that bad next year
You're talkin 2010 market? Yeah, that's probably pretty close...

Knicks probably get two huge signings... Heat I could see Wade re-upping plus someone like Bosh... Houston has the opportunity for two...

Everyone else hoping to strike it big after those three, I think, is playing with fire...

Back
Top Bottom