NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by air max 87

yo real talk whats the big deal with YI, dudes on him like hes done somethin in the L, or have i missed something?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
No he hasn't but giving up Big Baby for him is a pretty good deal since Baby has pretty much peaked as a player.

And Yi still could become something

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

I believe Chandler has an opt out clause after this upcoming season, so Charlotte could save some money.
He has a player option. It doesn't matter if he's traded or not, he's going to exercise that option and get paid 10+ million in 2010.

Only reason New Orleans tacks on Okafor's contract because they know he's damaged goods.

They tried to unload him last year, only for the trade to get called back because of his foot concerns.

Then when the Shaq trade went down, it was assumed Phoenix would ship Ben Wallace and his buyout contract for Chandler, as it would save the Hornets money, andgive the Suns a C who's quicker on his feet/can defend the pick and roll better than Shaq, and keep Amare at PF. Instead, they bought out Ben themselves.When a Phoenix Suns medical staff is throwing up red flags, I guess it's a wrap.

So, because the Hornets can't give Chandler away, pennies on the dollar even, might as well get a servicable big to keep the Hornets at least in theplayoff hunt, as opposed to having a gaping hole at C with a Hilton Armstrong manning the spot if/when Chandler goes down.

Don't the Bobcats have Diop, too? Maybe MJ feels Diop and Okafor more or less offer the same skillsets, and Chandler can thrive better in whatever offensethey're trying to run.

Who knows though.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by eatmoreyeah

I believe Chandler has an opt out clause after this upcoming season, so Charlotte could save some money.
He has a player option. It doesn't matter if he's traded or not, he's going to exercise that option and get paid 10+ million in 2010.
True...hypothetically speaking (I know
eyes.gif
), what if he stays relativelyhealthy next season and averages a double-double (say 11-13 points and 10-12 rebounds). He's in his prime, he's a center, he's athleticand he produces. You know teams are going to overpay for that, especially in 2010.

Word franchise. If the Bobcats make this trade, it would be idiotic. I'd rather take on the three year longer contract on Okafor than with the potential ofChandler only played 50 games each season. Hilton as the starter = not so much.

Also this year Okafor's contact is 1 million less than Chandler this year (2 million b/c of luxury tax) and 1.5 million in 2010 ( 3 million luxary tax).Peja's huge contact comes off the books in two years which would help cushion the last 3 years of the deal.

Get it down Bower!

Donnie Nelson said Mavs were going to sign a shooter,

This "shooter'' is::
1) "Not necessarily'' a shooting guard
2) Could be considered "more versatile'' a player than Matt Carroll
3) Is, it seems, presently an unrestricted FA. We're not talking trade here, but rather vet's-minimum level money.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

3) Is, it seems, presently an unrestricted FA. We're not talking trade here, but rather vet's-minimum level money.

Probably Wally.

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Probably Wally.

Wally IS a SG, and he's not more versatile than Matt Carroll.
laugh.gif

Not Wally.

I'm hoping it's Von Water, but I think he's worth more than Vet level.

There were rumblings of Tim Thomas, but I hope to God it's not.

Bruce Bowen?
nerd.gif

Rashad McCants had worked out for Dallas a few weeks ago, it could be him.

Just not Tim Thomas (who we also reportedly had interest in).

cp who the hell blamed the media? and somebody else co signed that? talk about putting words in peoples mouths

the medias fault? for what? i could care less what gets reported this summer. when moves are made, moves are made

my point was nobody can get a story straight. it's bad reporting. they can't get a legit source and now just throw crap on the wall to see whatsticks.

and the knicks don't know what they're doing?
laugh.gif
...wow. donniewalsh has stuck to his plan more than he ever possibly could.
laugh.gif

True...hypothetically speaking (I know
eyes.gif
), what if he stays relatively healthy next season and averages a double-double (say 11-13 points and 10-12 rebounds). He's in his prime, he's a center, he's athletic and he produces. You know teams are going to overpay for that, especially in 2010.

I mean nothing is impossible, it could happen. But it is highly unlikely that it will, and in a management move your thinking less risk.

As has been said, it has not nearly as much to do with cutting payroll as it has getting rid of a potential problem. We would have Okafor through his prime years at a reasonable salary for a top 10 center instead of possibly getting burned with Chandler and his injuries.
Top 10 center is arguable, but to say he has a reasonable contract is wrong.

Okafor is more likely to break out than Chandler, so I think he's a good addition to the Hornets.

New Orleans is still in some disarray. They broke out in 08 because Chris Paul's goons played out of their minds, which is hard to replicate. David West isstill good, but not the All-Star that he was looking like. Peja completely fell off. And their two-guard is still a big gaping hole.

I'm not even sure what Charlotte's doing. They're like a B-grade franchise, a dumping ground for players before they move onto their next"real" team. Diaw, Bell, and Wallace helped them make a solid run last year, but they need much more than that to make any real noise.

ima hornets and bobcats fan and at first I was mad but I forgot about Diop so it makes sense.....Tyson will end up injured by dec though
smh.gif

Japan: I gotta disagree about Wally. He can play anywhere from the 2-4 and we all know he can knock down shots from anywhere. If his knee is healthy, he'snot a bad player to pickup for cheap. He had a very decent year in CLE last year, very overlooked in my opinion, and showed he can rebound and play some decentD at the 4, believe it or not. He was much more consistent than Boobie last year, who pisses me off more than anyone on the team. If the Cavs didn't signMoon and Parker, who are obviously quicker than Wally, I'd take him back at the right price...

Originally Posted by JDB1523

Japan: I gotta disagree about Wally. He can play anywhere from the 2-4 and we all know he can knock down shots from anywhere. If his knee is healthy, he's not a bad player to pickup for cheap. He had a very decent year in CLE last year, very overlooked in my opinion, and showed he can rebound and play some decent D at the 4, believe it or not. He was much more consistent than Boobie last year, who pisses me off more than anyone on the team. If the Cavs didn't sign Moon and Parker, who are obviously quicker than Wally, I'd take him back at the right price...
Wally can guard fours?

I've heard it all now.
laugh.gif

^wally at the 4...? wow.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

and when i saw the title, i thought it was a done deal too.
okafor would be a solid addition, although it doesnt make sense since they want to shred salary, okafor could do wonders with cp3.

Back
Top Bottom