NBA Rookie Watch

Its actually odd to see boys pumping Juice right now... I remember when he was the black sheep of last years class. Good to see people recognizing hisabilities now
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Its actually odd to see boys pumping Juice right now... I remember when he was the black sheep of last years class. Good to see people recognizing his abilities now
pimp.gif
There was a couple of them Cake...

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

There are exactly zero things that Rudy Gay is doing better than O.J. Mayo right now.

Get used to that.
OJ is hands down the best player on that team

I haven't seen enough of Grizz games to say that.

But I find it hard to believe that O.J. is actually better than Rudy Gay.

there numbers are closer but talent for talent OJ is not better then rudy, and this is with rudy of to a slow start shooting wise. yall riding OJ way to hard

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Its actually odd to see boys pumping Juice right now... I remember when he was the black sheep of last years class. Good to see people recognizing his abilities now
pimp.gif
There was a couple of them Cake...

Oh I remember it was a few, but we were vastly out numbered. +*!% was like going up against the foot clan
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Juice is not better than Rudy...yet.

Both are about the same defensively (liabilities
laugh.gif
) and have need to attack towards therim more. Juice is the better shooter, but Rudy has the more diverse offensive skills. Right now, Juice is only scoring off catch and shoot 3s, fast breakdunks/layups or 2-3 dribbles between his leg, spin move and fade away (which is turning out to be money
pimp.gif
).

there numbers are closer
But they shouldn't be, right? That's what everybody says. Rudy is suppose to be the clearly superior player.

My favorite stat is their three point percentages.

Mayo - 45.5%
Gay - 17.7%

there numbers are closer
But they shouldn't be, right? That's what everybody says. Rudy is suppose to be the clearly superior player.

My favorite stat is their three point percentages.

Mayo - 45.5%
Gay - 17.7%

Superior player or scorer?

I think everyone knows that OJ knows how to put the ball in the basket

I think I've watched more Grizzlies games than anybody on here and I have to say that Mayo's learning curve is alot higher than Gay. The same typeof mistakes and turnovers Rudy is making in his 3rd season, Mayo isn't making. Mayo needs to have the ball in his hands at the top of the key creatingbecause he is the best creator on the team. Rudy feet are too slow to even take players off the dribble. Everytime Mayo has the ball in his hands, 95% of thetime something good comes out of it. Conley needs to be packaged with a player to bring in a starting defensive two guard and another big man.

As much as I like Rudy, he needs to learn how to take the ball down low instead of settling for outside shots all the time. Mayo doesn't force anything andthat's what impresses me so much with him as a rookie. IMO, it looked like Rudy was being a hater and not letting OJ shine because he was taking shots with4 players around him knowing he was having an off night. Gasol is barely even giving any touches in the paint. He only attempted like 3 shots that game, and Ithink they need to run more plays for him on the block instead of sending him out to the perimeter where he gets blind-sided by the opponents guard for thesteal every single time. It's mostly coaching that alot of these errors are happening.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

I think I've watched more Grizzlies games than anybody on here and I have to say that Mayo's learning curve is alot higher than Gay. The same type of mistakes and turnovers Rudy is making in his 3rd season, Mayo isn't making. Mayo needs to have the ball in his hands at the top of the key creating because he is the best creator on the team. Rudy feet are too slow to even take players off the dribble. Everytime Mayo has the ball in his hands, 95% of the time something good comes out of it. Conley needs to be packaged with a player to bring in a starting defensive two guard and another big man.

As much as I like Rudy, he needs to learn how to take the ball down low instead of settling for outside shots all the time. Mayo doesn't force anything and that's what impresses me so much with him as a rookie. IMO, it looked like Rudy was being a hater and not letting OJ shine because he was taking shots with 4 players around him knowing he was having an off night. Gasol is barely even giving any touches in the paint. He only attempted like 3 shots that game, and I think they need to run more plays for him on the block instead of sending him out to the perimeter where he gets blind-sided by the opponents guard for the steal every single time. It's mostly coaching that alot of these errors are happening.
It's been this way for OJs entire career now, dudes do not understand that this guy was easily the 2nd most complete player from the draftaside from Beasley .. And I think yall really underrate him defensively

Mayo's learning curve is alot higher than Gay. The same type of mistakes and turnovers Rudy is making in his 3rd season, Mayo isn't making.
Exactly. Rudy just doesn't understand the concept of team basketball.
IMO, it looked like Rudy was being a hater and not letting OJ shine because he was taking shots with 4 players around him knowing he was having an off night.
It was comical to watch how visibly upset Rudy was when Mayo was knocking down shots left and right. He's not going to be able to handle beinga second option.
And I think yall really underrate him defensively
If he were guarding players his size, his defense would be an asset. Unfortunately, most shooting guards aren't 6'4" and under.

Mayo's learning curve is alot higher than Gay. The same type of mistakes and turnovers Rudy is making in his 3rd season, Mayo isn't making.

I haven't seen Mayo play, but averaging 2.0 assists in 38 minutes per game for a guard doesn't exactly scream team play.

I'll try to catch the Phoenix Memphis game tonight.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

I haven't seen Mayo play, but averaging 2.0 assists in 38 minutes per game for a guard doesn't exactly scream team play.

That's the difference between watching the games and looking at the stats. Mayo is probably the most unselfish player in the starting lineup. The factthat he doesn't get enough assists doesn't have to do with him, it has to deal with the players around him not converting. Like last night, Mayo had awide open jumper with the defense collapsing on him, Rudy was left wide open in the corner and guess what Rudy did? He pump faked, took a few dribbles andthrew up some ugly shot or turned the ball over. It's happened almost every game and its just not Rudy, it's other players around him. Conley is scaredto shoot the ball, so he can't go to him and the coach doesn't even set up plays for Gasol in the post. It was one game (I think it was the gameagainst GSW in Memphis) where Mayo had the ball at the top of the key 4-5 times with Gasol setting the pick for him. Something good came out of it EVERY singletime whether it was the assist to Gasol or Arthur, a midrange jumper or driving to the bucket. You can't really blame Mayo for not getting enough assistsbecause its not his fault. Rudy is the selfish one on the team, not OJ. On top of that, the entire team isn't just throwing out dimes anyway. Conley is thehigh assist man with just 4 a game.

I'm not riding Mayo, but I know that he's on his way to becoming a better team player than Rudy and a more effective player at that. I'm prettysure with a coaching change that Rudy will start playing on the block a lot more and if he doesn't, he will be moved to the 2nd option.

Rudy's overall game has always been lacking.

He's talented as hell, but overall...never bought into him being a 'star'

We played E-GO for 20+ mins, and we grab our first W. Coincidence?

Though his box scores (11 points, 3-4 from the arc, 2 steals) don't say much,he made a good impact last game on defense, making plays and knocking downjumpers.

Hope Dunleavy finally realizes that we need him out there playing more minutes, especially when we have our 4th quarter scoring droughts.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

That's the difference between watching the games and looking at the stats. Mayo is probably the most unselfish player in the starting lineup. The fact that he doesn't get enough assists doesn't have to do with him, it has to deal with the players around him not converting.
Another reason that Juice doesn't get a few more assists is because he doesn't have the ball in his hands a lot compared to other guardsthat play 38 minutes a game. In the halfcourt, he usually is catching-and-shooting or creating for himself around the 15-18 foot range from the top of the key.I haven't seen any set plays designed for him that allows him to pick between shooting or passing.

And as far as the Juice-Gay combo is concerned, give it time. These two are going to need more time to mesh together.

#!%%*% aint giving D. Rose no respect...seriously he's outshining all the rookies so far.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

#!%%*% aint giving D. Rose no respect...seriously he's outshining all the rookies so far.
QFT. This thread has turned into the OJ slurping thread. I swear everyone on NT hated OJ when he first arrived in 'SC and now everyone isriding him like a rodeo. SMH thinking OJ is better than Rudy at this point. I mean son got game, but y'all act like he's Kobe now.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

who's not giving Rose any respect? I think everybody know he's doing his thing out there.

Raise your hand if you've watched, I don't know, at least four of the seven Grizzlies games this season and think that Rudy has been playing betterthan O.J.

I'll wait.

Raise your hand if you've watched, I don't know, at least four of the seven Grizzlies games this season and think that Rudy has been playing better than O.J.

I'll wait.

I have. I'm not going to say that Mayo is the best player on the team, but he's beginning to play like it.. I like his decision making, shooting,passing ability, rebounding and ball handling better than Rudy thus far in the season. I know Rudy can be better, but I'm thinking its mainly because he isuse to being the man and now there's somebody that can actually compete for that position which is making him struggle.

With Rudy taking the most shots on the team, 39% from the field and 17% from three aren't good numbers when last season he was shooting 46% from the fieldand 35% from three. It's early in the season, but it would seem that he would have matured a little more as far as his shot selection goes and with anotherscoring option on the court, he should feel even more loose about scoring.

As for Rose, I'm giving him respect and I know it will be a tight race between him and Mayo. What is surprising me the most about Mayo is his reboundingand shot selection. I've only seen two Chicago games, so I can't really just talk about Rose and give as much input on what he's done in theleague, only stats. It just seems to me that Mayo has finally got in his groove with his last 3 games averaging 26ppg, 6rpg, 2.3apg, 49% from the field and 52%from three point range. If he continues this tonight, then you may see this from him all season long. Both players average the same amount of turnovers, Rosegets more assists and Mayo gets more rebounds. It's just a toss up at this point.

Back
Top Bottom