NCAA Will Allow Trans Athletes: Lia Thomas Becomes 1st NCAA Transgender Champion

Soon as I saw the news on ESPN I knew this joint would get active again, and exactly which posters would be back in here

Have not been disappointed :lol:

assuming alot that someone transitioning would be able to do that

women need to be given a whole lot more credit in sports.. also what the body goes through in that process

to keep it to lia thomas, she would be almost a whole lap behind katie ledecky based upon that time from last night

Based on that post earlier Lia Thomas wasn't even an above average swimmer as a man, switched to woman competition & is constantly top tier.

In my example i'm thinking of a second round/late first round pick in the NBA.... that same man is going to go to the WNBA and most likely dominate.

That isn't disrespect to women ball players, it's highlighting the clear physical advantages men have over women. Those same physical advantages that play a major part in sports.

Why are you emphasizing that there is one woman who can compete with this man?

because lia thomas' name is in the thread title.. and she is the athlete who competed last night

but i do reference another swimmer who transitioned and was allowed to compete, i just couldnt remember her name
lia thomas is not the first athlete to transition.. i cant remember the name of the other athlete but i do remember reading something recently that spoke to her performances gradually falling the further she got in the process of transitioning

because lia thomas' name is in the thread title.. and she is the athlete who competed last night

but i do reference another swimmer who transitioned and was allowed to compete, i just couldnt remember her name
I mean I'm legit wondering 'why'? Are you saying that become of this one woman who has a better time than Lia it makes Lia's presence in the sport fair? Or because Lia would have placed 3rd in a different year?

Based on that post earlier Lia Thomas wasn't even an above average swimmer as a man

as a man, she was far than "above average"

as a man, she was good enough to swim for a D1 program and did well in the ivy league championships

Last edited:
I mean I'm legit wondering 'why'? Are you saying that become of this one woman who has a better time than Lia it makes Lia's presence in the sport fair? Or because Lia would have placed 3rd in a different year?

it is not just 1 woman who is faster than lia

that 1 woman, ledecky, is significantly faster than lia thomas.. and there are other women who are also faster than lia thomas, as i said above lia is the 16th fastest ever

also as i said above, i'm not sure how i feel about all of this

however, i do think some hyperbolic statements are being made.. like the wilt comment above

as a man, she was far than above average

as a man, she was good enough to swim for a D1 program and did well in the ivy league championships

Again i'm basing this off the post above IDK how many swimmers in total but being ranked 500 & then consistently ranking in the top 3 says enough

That would be the equivalent of a G-league player coming into the NBA & becoming an yearly MVP candidate.

I'm not even sure where this convo is going, there is nothing to dispute hear. Men are born with clear physical advantages compared to Women, if you take that man & throw him into a pool of women competitors they are going to perform way better than they did performing against male competition.

but have a good day i'm not trying to get any warnings today & the sirens just went off.

it is not just 1 woman who is faster than lia

that 1 woman, ledecky, is significantly faster than lia thomas.. and there are other women who are also faster than lia thomas, as i said above lia is the 16th fastest ever
Ok so what is your point tho? That it's fair because there are a handful of women who are faster? If another man became a woman and completely dominated the sport, that person would be unfair but lia isn't? Genuinely wondering what you're trying to say

Again i'm basing this off the post above IDK how many swimmers in total but being ranked 500 & then consistently ranking in the top 3 says enough

define "average", please

2 women broke American, U.S. Open, and NCAA records last night, neither was named lia thomas

yes lia won an NCAA title, however lia is the 16th fastest performer in that event

the "average" swimmer is not making a D1 team

William Thomas was a long distance swimmer, who as Lia, is now participating in sprints. Many also believe that Lia started holding back in races in order to make the obvious, obvious.

We are comparing an Ivy League swimmer’s time to an all time Olympic world record holder. Not your average NCAA swimmer.

Why are Lia’s feelings more important than fairness and equity?

Ok so what is your point tho?

that there is more to the conversation

it is not as easy as saying who lia thomas is competing against

we can compare lia thomas last night to lia thomas before transitioning, we can see the 16 seconds difference.. it's math

but far too many people have a habit of belittling women when it comes to conversations on sports, just look at the "wilt" comment above

People that are for it are likely thinking only of the person transitioning.
People against it are likely thinking of all parties involved.

Those that are for it would have a change of heart if their loved one lost a scholarship or lost a medal to the trans person.

We are comparing an Ivy League swimmer’s time to an all time Olympic world record holder.

AND 15 other women

but another key point to that, america is the only place that swims short course yards

the only time non americans swim short course yards is if they attend US high schools or colleges.. or they specifically swim a meet that is short course yards

olympics and world championships are all meters and mainly long course.. there is a short course world championships for swimming, but that's meters

William Thomas was a long distance swimmer, who as Lia, is now participating in sprints.

also, the 500 free, the event lia won last night is far from a sprint

200s in swimming are like the 800 or 1500 in track

Last edited:
lia thomas is not the first athlete to transition.. i cant remember the name of the other athlete but i do remember reading something recently that spoke to her performances gradually falling the further she got in the process of transitioning

Are you thinking of Iszac Henig? Their transition is the opposite, if so.

1647619797050.jpeg

528B2181-D776-4C90-A006-FDD836E011D9.jpeg

Many also believe that Lia started holding back in races in order to make the obvious, obvious.

Hmm, I wonder why Iszac still competes against women?

Henig’s season has not been without controversy. In the last few weeks, he found his name in the headlines after competing in a meet against Penn and Dartmouth on Jan. 8 in Philadelphia.
Penn’s Lia Thomas, a transgender female who has undergone hormone treatment for over two years and competes on the women’s swim team, has recorded the top times in the nation this season in the 200 and 500 freestyle. With that has come an outcry from former Olympians and many across the nation who feel that Thomas is not competing fairly.

Thomas and Henig faced off in the 100 freestyle, with Henig winning the race in 49.57 and Thomas finishing sixth in 52.84. During a November meet, Thomas swam the 100 in 49.42. They also competed against each other in the 400 free relay, with Henig’s team winning the event. Henig also set the pool record that day in the 50 free (22.76).

As a result, one of Thomas’ Penn teammates told Outkick she believed Thomas colluded with Henig.
“Looking at [Lia’s] time, I don’t think she was trying,” the anonymous Penn swimmer alleged. “I know they’re friends and I know they were talking before the meet. I think she let her win to prove the point that, ‘Oh see, a female-to-male beat me.

Henig refuted the report and said he only met Thomas in person for the first time at the meet.”

Someone on twitter mentioned Thomas barely kicking at all while swimming, meanwhile every other women using everything possible

Is it Interesting how in 1 mid season meet Thomas could finish 6th but when it’s all on the line coasts to a title?

Last edited:
I feel its up to the women in said sports to call it fair or not. If they’re ok with, let it rock.

I feel its up to the women in said sports to call it fair or not. If they’re ok with, let it rock.

Thing is That
1) we're dealing with the NCAA we know the last thing they care about is the students
2) A woman who rightfully comes out against this would probably be labeled as hateful & bigoted in today's society

again, im not sure exactly how i feel about this.. but to your point, i'm not the one being put in the situation

for me, i find way too many people who dont have anywhere near the respect they should for female athletes getting involved in these convos and we've seen it in here already talking about 'wilt numbers'

we havent seen the instance of a transgender athlete coming in and being a serena williams

there were 2 women that broke records last night, neither named lia or thomas

but then you add the medical aspect to the whole thing.. swimming is an olympic sport with the testing that comes with that, there are a crap ton of stuff that youre prohibited from consuming and competing.. russia was not permitted to fly their flag and a number of their swimmers have been caught red handed.. so now we factoring in the hormone treatments for transgender athletes into a sport that monitored testosterone levels of it's athletes

hell, even beyond what is needed medically for the transitioning of transgender athletes.. swimming restricts the swimsuits that can be worn based upon gender, because of the advancements in materials and that it had gotten to the point where everyone to even have a chance were wearing full body suits

Back
Top Bottom