**NEW** Common - Stay Schemin' (Drake Diss)

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Originally Posted by OneTrust

Everyone KNEW they wasn't coke kings or AK toting bandits, but they were at least street dudes which is why you could still feel where they were coming from.  This Degrassi High guy on the other hand, not so much.  
Are you a street dude?

More street than Drake, yet you don't hear me talkin about "catching bodies" and throwing up gang signs but you seem to CLEARLY miss the point. 

Are you a street dude?
More street than Drake, yet you don't hear me talkin about "catching bodies" and throwing up gang signs but you seem to CLEARLY miss the point. 
I'm not missing any point. I just asked a question. Still ain't really get an answer either. 

LOL @ Cube being a street dude. C'mon son. Is Drake fronting with all the tough guy talk? NO DOUBT. But please don't sit here and try to qualify your statement with saying Cube is a street dude. Being raised in the hood doesn't equate to being a street dude. Ask 99% of rappers rapping about gangsta %%$%. I'm just sayin'.

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

LOL @ Cube being a street dude. C'mon son. Is Drake fronting with all the tough guy talk? NO DOUBT. But please don't sit here and try to qualify your statement with saying Cube is a street dude. Being raised in the hood doesn't equate to being a street dude. Ask 99% of rappers rapping about gangsta %%$%. I'm just sayin'.
When I say Cube is a "street dude," i'm not talking about he's the biggest gangsta on the block but he clearly grew up in an environment to know what he's talkin about.  That's all I was saying with that. 

Originally Posted by Deuce King

I agree...awkward move... Kinda threw me off when I saw he did it for the first time... 
laugh.gif

Now that's what I'm talking about champ. See how you agreed with me, see how easy it works.  You could have and should have really stopped after this point, but I see you decided to get going. 

Ah...the "masculinity" debate again, right?

One more time since I'm guessing you didn't understand it the first time............"It's over for Drake, and it's over for the majority of his fanbase that condones these actions."

This isn't me, but then again, more power to those that are like this.
Glad to hear it champ. 

out of the dozens of songs released in the past 3 years, you mean to tell me you liked NONE of them?
I never said that, some of his songs have been cool or okay to listen to.  Some on the other hand, not so much.  For example his verse on Stay Schemin would qualify as the latter.

That being said, if R&B cats have been singing about those topics for decades...but when a "rapper" does it, everyone cries foul.

As the saying goes, that aint this, and this aint that.  If we're talking about r&b lets talk about r&b, if we're talking about rap and the elements of hip hop then let's talk about that. 

Maybe if rap fans focused more on the quality of the content being released from artists instead of supporting ideologies of their perceptions of masculinity then ya'll wouldn't be so damn disappointed.
More like maybe if rap fans focused on the background and foundation of hip hop and decided to educate themselves on the history threwout it we wouldn't have folks saying Common isn't a legend and other foolishness. 

You probably also think Biggie was a coke king-pin too.

Or that Ice Cube really used his AK on every other day of his week...

Dude, your assumptions are astonishing and laughable. 

In YOUR eyes
Not just in my eyes but in the eyes of others on here just so you know.  It's funny and yet sad to see some of the comments made in here.  Folks are really at a lose when it comes to hip hop and dudes really don't have a clue.........but they think they do. 

That was that poster's opinion. I can't expect a country fan to think "I used to love HER" or "The Light" or "Come Close" or BE is classic hip-hop music.

That poster unfortunately carries the same kind of %** backwards mentality that alot of these "5 year old hip hop historians" have that was referenced earlier.  Dudes are new to the game and instead of either asking questions or soaking up the knowledge that is being presented not just in here but in other threads on the boards they are quick to dismiss it and try to come up with their own facts.  It doesn't work that way, and it shouldn't work that way. 

I mean is hating on Ross every step of the way getting you anywhere? Are you telling me that you have never liked a Ross song?

We're not even talking about Ross here, stick to the topic at hand.  Stay focused.

You know a broken clock is right even twice a day. I can be honest enough to agree with you in some circumstances and disagree with you on others.

Just because you say one thing, doesn't make every thing else agreeable. Grow up already. That sort of mindset is immature.

OK, and? Condone's what actions? How come its not over for Flocka and people who condone shooting and dealing drugs? 

Oh, because YOU dislike it, then its "over"...

At least try to be consistent when you make a point. The fact is, nothing drake did in singing that song was "wrong" or "right." You just didn't like it. So be it.

Oh ok. So can I call you a drake lover for liking a few of his songs then? 

You don't even know where to draw the line but you just like to most the goalposts when it matters. As far as I'm concerned for someone that cares so much about "history" then you should know that the same drake who made those songs you liked before made the songs you also didn't like. So where does that leave you? 

The lines are being blurred for the sake of the progression of music. Rappers have been singing for a long time. Singers have been trying to kick verses for a long time. Its your clinging to outdated labels that confuses you. Artists make music for consumption. Thats it. They're not obligated to stay in a particular lane for the sake of upholding a genre. 

The music defines the labels, not the other way around. 

Anyone is free to say whatever they want to say about common being a legend or not. History be damned. Some people hated Tupac's music and don't consider him to be a legend. They are well within their right to believe that too. 

You've been fed this narrative that states that hip-hop is X, Y, and Z. When there is actually a T, U, V, and W. It doesn't just fit into the limited mold you thought only existed in your mind. This is about music, not your thoughts on what YOU think music should be. 

My assumptions are laughable?

Then why does it matter what you THINK you know about these artists? You really don't think biggie was a kingpin, or that cube was on the verge of letting the AK go off...but all of a sudden now drake is typecast as ONLY being a guy who writes love songs. Like Marvin Gaye wouldn't smack the fire out of a hating male fan, or Chris Brown can't hold his own. 

You want to talk about honesty? We can talk about how Common grew up middle class and went to a private school and probably drew all of his tales of being "so chicago" from images of those he looked up to. But you want reality, right? You don't even know what reality is. You don't uphold the same standard to the same subject. 

You claim you want inner honesty? Well tell me when all of your favorite rappers start piecing rhymes together about going to dance school, playing jazz instruments, growing up middle class, having two parent households, never seeing drugs, or working square jobs to pay their bills. 

You have this fake "rapper" image that lives in your head. You're swayed by CB4 like dudes and you really don't even know whats real anymore.

Its all entertainment to you, but you dont even realize it. 

Bruh, other people agreeing with you (if any) about music doesn't make your stance on music CORRECT

Musical opinions are subjective. There can be no right or wrong. There is no absolute as to what makes a classic or what does not. Its all up to you. 

Again, you're mad that someone disagrees with you.

Its their OPINION that common isn't a legend. 

What are you going to do? Fight?

You can't prove it one way or another so whats the point?

But your answer to this is to refer to history...OK DueceKing. Whats the history then? Because yet again, you haven't shown how "history" actually proves that certain bodies of work are undeniably favorable "classics" OR that things "shouldn't work that way" because only YOU say they shouldn't.

The sad thing is that the crux of your argument lies NOT in that you like Common more than Drake, but rather you think that your bias substantiates the belief that one verifiably is better than the other. 

Ultimately, your OPINION of what hip-hop is or is not doesn't matter to anyone but you. 

Remember, the game aint for everybody.  He's not "catching any bodies" and as a soft, sweet, simp rapper he's not looking forward to running into anybody at the finish line as he suggested.  In any and everything that you do you have to have an inner honesty within you and of yourself, people can pick up and sense that.  

grin.gif

HORRIBLE example.  

Everyone KNEW they wasn't coke kings or AK toting bandits, but they were at least street dudes which is why you could still feel where they were coming from.  This Degrassi High guy on the other hand, not so much.  

Oh ok, so everyone knew Biggie and Cube they weren't living that life but you still feel the need to defend them....Right. 
grin.gif

But when Drake sings about ex-girlfriends and other topics that most of the relationship threads even on Niketalk can relate to, then hes being unrealistic.

I've seen more school shootings in the suburbs than in hood, wouldn't you say so? Does that mean suburb kids in khakis are more gangsta? 

I don't know why only dudes in section 8 housing in urban communities have to be capable of issuing threats. 
laugh.gif

Again, ya'll are moving the goalposts. 

That being said, if R&B cats have been singing about those topics for decades...but when a "rapper" does it, everyone cries foul.

As the saying goes, that aint this, and this aint that.  If we're talking about r&b lets talk about r&b, if we're talking about rap and the elements of hip hop then let's talk about that. 

Maybe if rap fans focused more on the quality of the content being released from artists instead of supporting ideologies of their perceptions of masculinity then ya'll wouldn't be so damn disappointed.
More like maybe if rap fans focused on the background and foundation of hip hop and decided to educate themselves on the history threwout it we wouldn't have folks saying Common isn't a legend and other foolishness.  

THIS...seriously, these young dudes in hear talking about "it's just entertainment" probably don't even know what the four elements of hiphop are.  Dudes probably like, "oh the four elements...that's versatility, practice, confidence and swag"  Some of y'all dudes really need to go learn your HipHop culture.

4 Elements of Hip-Hop? 

...bruh, go sit down. 

Its all entertainment. 

They make songs that they think you will like and want to spend money on. Thats entertainment. Whether or not you learn something is merely a plus.

You want to make it seem like ALL of this stuff is real...yet you JUST said you know it wasn't.

Yall live that comic-book/cartoon life and get mad when you find out Heath Ledger really isn't The Joker ...or that Tobey McGuire isn't actually spiderman 
roll.gif

Are you a street dude?
A street dude...calls himself a street dude. 
roll.gif

Seems legit. 

When talking about Common you have to acknowledge his Afrocentric perspective... Anything that strays from blackness is not hip-hop to him... IMO this "beef" could get pretty inflammatory very fast...
nerd.gif

Lupe being a legend over Com is hard for me to hear
frown.gif

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by Deuce King

I agree...awkward move... Kinda threw me off when I saw he did it for the first time... 
laugh.gif

Now that's what I'm talking about champ. See how you agreed with me, see how easy it works.  You could have and should have really stopped after this point, but I see you decided to get going. 

Ah...the "masculinity" debate again, right?

One more time since I'm guessing you didn't understand it the first time............"It's over for Drake, and it's over for the majority of his fanbase that condones these actions."

This isn't me, but then again, more power to those that are like this.
Glad to hear it champ. 

out of the dozens of songs released in the past 3 years, you mean to tell me you liked NONE of them?
I never said that, some of his songs have been cool or okay to listen to.  Some on the other hand, not so much.  For example his verse on Stay Schemin would qualify as the latter.

Dude, your assumptions are astonishing and laughable. 

In YOUR eyes
Not just in my eyes but in the eyes of others on here just so you know.  It's funny and yet sad to see some of the comments made in here.  Folks are really at a lose when it comes to hip hop and dudes really don't have a clue.........but they think they do. 

That was that poster's opinion. I can't expect a country fan to think "I used to love HER" or "The Light" or "Come Close" or BE is classic hip-hop music.

That poster unfortunately carries the same kind of %** backwards mentality that alot of these "5 year old hip hop historians" have that was referenced earlier.  Dudes are new to the game and instead of either asking questions or soaking up the knowledge that is being presented not just in here but in other threads on the boards they are quick to dismiss it and try to come up with their own facts.  It doesn't work that way, and it shouldn't work that way. 

I mean is hating on Ross every step of the way getting you anywhere? Are you telling me that you have never liked a Ross song?

We're not even talking about Ross here, stick to the topic at hand.  Stay focused.

You know a broken clock is right even twice a day. I can be honest enough to agree with you in some circumstances and disagree with you on others.

Just because you say one thing, doesn't make every thing else agreeable. Grow up already. That sort of mindset is immature.

OK, and? Condone's what actions? How come its not over for Flocka and people who condone shooting and dealing drugs? 

Oh, because YOU dislike it, then its "over"...

At least try to be consistent when you make a point. The fact is, nothing drake did in singing that song was "wrong" or "right." You just didn't like it. So be it.

Oh ok. So can I call you a drake lover for liking a few of his songs then? 

You don't even know where to draw the line but you just like to most the goalposts when it matters. As far as I'm concerned for someone that cares so much about "history" then you should know that the same drake who made those songs you liked before made the songs you also didn't like. So where does that leave you? 

The lines are being blurred for the sake of the progression of music. Rappers have been singing for a long time. Singers have been trying to kick verses for a long time. Its your clinging to outdated labels that confuses you. Artists make music for consumption. Thats it. They're not obligated to stay in a particular lane for the sake of upholding a genre. 

The music defines the labels, not the other way around. 

Anyone is free to say whatever they want to say about common being a legend or not. History be damned. Some people hated Tupac's music and don't consider him to be a legend. They are well within their right to believe that too. 

You've been fed this narrative that states that hip-hop is X, Y, and Z. When there is actually a T, U, V, and W. It doesn't just fit into the limited mold you thought only existed in your mind. This is about music, not your thoughts on what YOU think music should be. 

My assumptions are laughable?

Then why does it matter what you THINK you know about these artists? You really don't think biggie was a kingpin, or that cube was on the verge of letting the AK go off...but all of a sudden now drake is typecast as ONLY being a guy who writes love songs. Like Marvin Gaye wouldn't smack the fire out of a hating male fan, or Chris Brown can't hold his own. 

You want to talk about honesty? We can talk about how Common grew up middle class and went to a private school and probably drew all of his tales of being "so chicago" from images of those he looked up to. But you want reality, right? You don't even know what reality is. You don't uphold the same standard to the same subject. 

You claim you want inner honesty? Well tell me when all of your favorite rappers start piecing rhymes together about going to dance school, playing jazz instruments, growing up middle class, having two parent households, never seeing drugs, or working square jobs to pay their bills. 

You have this fake "rapper" image that lives in your head. You're swayed by CB4 like dudes and you really don't even know whats real anymore.

Its all entertainment to you, but you dont even realize it. 

Bruh, other people agreeing with you (if any) about music doesn't make your stance on music CORRECT

Musical opinions are subjective. There can be no right or wrong. There is no absolute as to what makes a classic or what does not. Its all up to you. 

Its their OPINION that common isn't a legend. 

What are you going to do? Fight?

You can't prove it one way or another so whats the point?

But your answer to this is to refer to history...OK DueceKing. Whats the history then? Because yet again, you haven't shown how "history" actually proves that certain bodies of work are undeniably favorable "classics" OR that things "shouldn't work that way" because only YOU say they shouldn't.

The sad thing is that the crux of your argument lies NOT in that you like Common more than Drake, but rather you think that your bias substantiates the belief that one verifiably is better than the other. 

Ultimately, your OPINION of what hip-hop is or is not doesn't matter to anyone but you. 

I say whoa.

Originally Posted by ToAnotherLevel

After listening to their respective verses, I feel like Drake has won this sparring round.  Common’s verse was very direct and included a few good lines, such as the “cling like you’re 18

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Dude really said Lupe is a legend over Common though
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Yep
grin.gif

Spoiler [+]
Fahrenheit Series/touch the sky = Resurrection
Food and Liquor > One day it'll all make sense  
The Cool > Like Water for Chocolate
Enemy of the state > Electric circus

Lasers is equally as bad as universal mind control
Friend of the people was incredibly solid.  Granted Be + Finding forever is better due to more material.
Lupe still in his peak.  I understand its hard to compare albums from different era's.  I remember hearing Resurrection and actually saying Wow the same way i did to touch the sky mixtape.  But food and liquor to me is one of the best albums in the past 10 years.  Its personal opinion. Advance toward me brethren

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by RavageBX

eek.gif
laugh.gif

Yep
grin.gif

Spoiler [+]
Fahrenheit Series/touch the sky = Resurrection
Food and Liquor > One day it'll all make sense  
The Cool > Like Water for Chocolate
Enemy of the state > Electric circus

Lasers is equally as bad as universal mind control
Friend of the people was incredibly solid.  Granted Be + Finding forever is better due to more material.
Lupe still in his peak.  I understand its hard to compare albums from different era's.  I remember hearing Resurrection and actually saying Wow the same way i did to touch the sky mixtape.  But food and liquor to me is one of the best albums in the past 10 years.  Its personal opinion. Advance toward me brethren

sick.gif

You guys always crack me up with the my opinion holds more weight then some one else's steez. I mean people on here like lil B....as a rapper....so i realize my opinion isn't that of the masses on NT a lot of times.

But not trying to derail the thread.....lets get back to sillyputty's long colorful replies    

Originally Posted by Chrisb9393

Common is more legendary than Lupe...I don't even see how this is arguable.

And Beethoven is more legendary than Elvis.
So? 

Its all relative.

When it comes to music, opinions really don't matter that much.

You either like it or you don't. 

Originally Posted by RealRubirosa

Originally Posted by DT43

Originally Posted by RealRubirosa

Have y'all heard Common's disses? They're weak. Super weak. Drake ethered him on Stay Schemin already.
you cant be older than 19
indifferent.gif
 Hip-hop elitists think liking Common makes them a "better" rap fan. Look at the verses objectively. Common's was distinctly weaker.

FTR I'm 25 and in law school and don't have YMCMB OVOXO in my Twitter bio.
Then you just have a terrible opinion not worthy of being discussed, just easily dismissed or ridiculed.

Common being a legend is not about opinion though. It's a literal fact. Aint even about if you liked his music at this point. If you can't recognize that Com is a legend in hip hop then you trying to apply the word to anyone else is flawed and skewed.
Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by Chrisb9393

Common is more legendary than Lupe...I don't even see how this is arguable.
And Beethoven is more legendary than Elvis.

So? 

Its all relative.

When it comes to music, opinions really don't matter that much.

You either like it or you don't. 
Terrible example.

You guys are right, the term legendary is subjective and opinion based, but commons impact on hip hop is great and I feel like people putting lupe ahead of him is just strange.

sillyputty that's a very colorful fruity peeble response champ. 

You know a broken clock is right even twice a day.
I got my shades on, waiting for the sun to shine my way
glasses.gif

We're not talking about Flocka right now, nor is this thread or topic about him.  We're talking about Drake right now, and right now we're talking about Drake singing like a simp on stage, which YOU even said yourself was an "awkward move"  Of course Drake and others are free to sing like that, like I said more power to them.  However people are going to have their opinion when things like that are done.

I never said or tried to imply my stance on music is correct because other people agree with me.  You must not be able to comprehend well.  My reply that I gave was in response to you saying that only in MY eyes this thread showed some of the newbies and uninformed individuals when it comes to hip hop.  I was saying that others have said the same thing.  Please learn how to read and comprehend, and if you don't understand something ask a question.

I'm not mad about anything, I'm not sure why you would even think that.  I'm moreso laughing at some of the nonsense that is being displayed by people like you and others. 

.......and he said it with a straight face at that.  Dude wasn't even joking, SMH. 

Back
Top Bottom