New Girl Appreciation Thread Vol. I can't read a ruler

Winston has become so much more funny to me. I remember not feeling his character in the beginning because I thought he wasn't funny.

But I most say, he definitely brings the lulz now.
I couldn't have said it any better.  Winstons "lulz" seemed forced in seasons 1, 2 and 3.  Last season it got better but I attributed that to coach being part of the regular cast and they worked well off of each other.  This year he has shined.

I don't know if it is better writing or if he has just kinda grown into his own as "Winston" but LaMorne Morris killed it this season.  I thought this show was going to fall off of a cliff without Damon Wayans Jr. and Zooey needing to take time off due to her pregnancy, but it actually got better.  Cece's overall character has grown, Nick and Schmidt were always hilarious and still are and Winston killed in his new pronounced role.

I don't know, but the first time I ever heard "Winnie the Bish", I lost it laughing.

I just love that nickname for some reason
laugh.gif

Is this a modern day Friends?
friends meets threes company...

with friends, most had their own lives and places, but this is five or six people living in the same loft so shenanigans are bound to ensue

Last edited:
I mean it's no where near the popularity that Friends had in its hey-day, but I'd say the quality of New Girl is a step above Friends. Friends re-hashed so many story lines and just really didn't have any kind of meaningful development for its characters. We've seen progression and major development from each character in New Girl and it went from being Zooey's show to a true ensemble show. Rewatching episodes of New Girl have been way more enjoyable for me than Friends

I still watch Friends, I grew up watching it and I love it, but to be honest you could probably skip half of the series and still get the same laughs you would have if you watched all 10 or 11 seasons. The first 4 seasons are really forgettable..and the rest of it seems like there's going to be one or two episodes about Ross being divorced, a couple flashback episodes, Ross & Rachel drama, chandler/monica story arc, repeat.  

friends meets threes company...

with friends, most had their own lives and places, but this is five or six people living in the same loft so shenanigans are bound to ensue

Thats a great comparison. Timeless shows.

as much as I love this show....Friends is GOAT imo. Joey always had me laughing

How you doinnnnnnnnnn :wink:

Its not touching Friends but New Gril envokes similiar feelings to watching it. Especially with the Cece/Scmidt and Zooey/Nick story lines. Its like a millennial version. :lol:

I mean it's no where near the popularity that Friends had in its hey-day, but I'd say the quality of New Girl is a step above Friends. Friends re-hashed so many story lines and just really didn't have any kind of meaningful development for its characters. We've seen progression and major development from each character in New Girl and it went from being Zooey's show to a true ensemble show. Rewatching episodes of New Girl have been way more enjoyable for me than Friends

I still watch Friends, I grew up watching it and I love it, but to be honest you could probably skip half of the series and still get the same laughs you would have if you watched all 10 or 11 seasons. The first 4 seasons are really forgettable..and the rest of it seems like there's going to be one or two episodes about Ross being divorced, a couple flashback episodes, Ross & Rachel drama, chandler/monica story arc, repeat.  

I guess I agree with you. I think with this whole newer generation and writers exploring better idea has something to do with it as well. Idk if I'm explaining it correctly lol

Has the show been renewed by Fox yet? 

I just read a lot of series have been cancelled on all the major networks.

speaking of friends....I read somewhere theyre doing something for a comeback.idk if true tho

Yes its renewed for season 6.
YESSS.
speaking of friends....I read somewhere theyre doing something for a comeback.idk if true tho
The closest they did a reunion was for the special on NBC to honor the director who created and directed all those shows on TV.

They all have different projects going on. I highly doubt they would return to do a sitcom together...Although, it would be sweet for nostalgia sake.

I visted WB studios last September and was able to see the set of Central Perk and some of the outdoor scenes filmed on the show. It was really cool to see. 

Wife tried getting me to participate in re-enacting one of the scenes. Smh.

New Girl quality level is way better than Friends to me.

New Girl is it's own thing and of course it's no where near as popular as Friends.

I don't know anybody who even watched friends I watched a few episodes on Netflix and it wasn't my cup of tea.

Is this a modern day Friends?
No way. 

Closest thing to a "modern day" Friends was How I Met Your Mother.

New Girl is something on it's own lol.
How I Met Your Mother also took heavily from Seinfeld with their constant attempts at coining phrases and "things" on the show. Seinfeld did it naturally and less forced, "the close talker" "the high talker" etc., 

Early Friends was and still is a pretty damn good sitcom. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's pretty well-written and funny. It jumped the shark badly, though. Almost two different shows to me.

New Girl is one of the best modern sitcoms because they juggle the rapid, 10 jokes a minute kind of humor, along with genuine romantic and dramatic moments.. but they operate within a classic sitcom premise. It's not like Community where they tried to reinvent the sitcom with meta humor and fourth wall breaking moments.. New Girl is a classic sitcom, just updated and modernized. 

How I Met Your Mother also took heavily from Seinfeld with their constant attempts at coining phrases and "things" on the show. Seinfeld did it naturally and less forced, "the close talker" "the high talker" etc., 

Early Friends was and still is a pretty damn good sitcom. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's pretty well-written and funny. It jumped the shark badly, though. Almost two different shows to me.

New Girl is one of the best modern sitcoms because they juggle the rapid, 10 jokes a minute kind of humor, along with genuine romantic and dramatic moments.. but they operate within a classic sitcom premise. It's not like Community where they tried to reinvent the sitcom with meta humor and fourth wall breaking moments.. New Girl is a classic sitcom, just updated and modernized. 
Oh, man. I just realized that comparison to Seinfeld. So crazy.

I hope FOX allows New Girl to finish the series instead of being cancelled. The show is so good.

And the other thing is, despite a couple weak storylines or less funny episodes here and there, the show has remained really high quality. All shows can take a dip at some point, especially comedies, but so far it's been consistent and I hope it can end it's run how it wants.

dammit man that wedding episode hit me in the feels, had the laughs and the mushy stuff...my cynicism is a facade for a jaded hopeless romantic 
mean.gif

Just caught the finale.

Great to see Coach again.

By far the best season so far. Really happy they showed the wedding.

Can't wait for the next season. I'm really hoping Reagan becomes a recurring character, if not permanent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom