New Orleans Saints engaged in bounty program ... UPDATE 9/7: Saints Players Win Appeal!!! Will play

Originally Posted by JPZx

Originally Posted by dmxfury

If you didn't think defensive players aren't trying to take out the QB, bonus or not, you are mistaken
And you're completely missing the point, the BONUS is why it's WRONG.

The most alarming finding by the league, according to one club source who was briefed on the investigation late Friday afternoon, was this: Before the 2009 NFC Championship Game, Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma offered any defensive teammate $10,000 in cash to knock then-Vikings quarterback Brett Favre out of the game. Favre was hit viciously several times in the game. That fact was in a report to the 32 NFL owners, sent out by the league to detail further what the league's 50,000-page investigation found.
#%%$$@* despicable. "Awhhh cute lets see the Saints win the whole thing because of a hurricane four years prior"... bunch of #%%$$@* cheapskate +@*+$ *$# mother +$!+@%%.

The asterisk comes in because offering people money to take out a player can CHANGE an outcome in a game. Instead of hitting a guy hard like anybody else, you're hitting them hard but going for their KNEES or ANKLES. Thus, injuring a player on purpose, altering personnel's health, altering outcome. If you're a part of the group that says ALL teams do this than why, even BEFORE this story came out, were people remarking on how dirty the hits were in the 2009 NFC Championship game by the Saints? People have noted that game in particular all the time for the hits, it wasn't just a run of the mill game.

I see nothing wrong with this. Why is it despicable? It's their job, just makes it a more fun game when your teammates want to put money on it. None of the hits that didn't go directly for the helmet were dirty.

This is not cheating. There is no asterisk needed. What if a guy just ups and decides he's taking a player out for free? This aint like somebody bet on the game and is paying players to do this to give them a cut.

If anything I encourage every team to do this more.

The way yall are complaining I can see every hard hit in the game come in to question now. Might as well be playing with two hand touch rules or flag football.

^ Continuning to miss the point, it's not the DIRTY HITS... it's the REWARD PUT UP OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME to tempt dirty hits.

And AMP, as for you saying "you don't remember any dirty plays in that game"...
"Three New Orleans Saints players were fined a total of $30,000 for four different hits in Sunday's NFC Championship game. Three of those hits were delivered to Brett Favre."

Seems like things balanced out didn't it?

This explains why they blitzed on every down during the first preseason game we played them this season..

Originally Posted by dland24

Hopefully Brees and Colston are so disgusted with this that they both skip town and head to SF.

#notonenottwonotthreenotfournotfivenotsix

pimp.gif
laugh.gif
awwwwwwwww yeah!!!! *word to the New England Patriots*
Shout out to the homie Rex Ryan
pimp.gif

Spoiler [+]
It's my birthday and I'm stoopid drunk
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

If anyone is upset over this they need to stick to watching a non contact sport.
smokin.gif

denzel_intro.jpg

Spoiler [+]
Game has changed, when I played ball it was all about taking dudes out.  Not in a dirty way like going for knees and ankles, but head was fair game.  Coaches use to tell us "Pop them in the ear hole so their head wont stop ringing" 
laugh.gif
.  We just loved to hit, kickoffs, punts, blindside hits, crackback blocks, hitting dudes heads up, just loved it.  Think I lost a few brain cells, but it was fun.  Now all that @#!# is frowned upon, 
grin.gif

http://lombardiave.com/wp...img/quote-icon-big.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-position: 0px 6px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Prices were set on Saturday nights in the team hotel.

In a makeshift meeting room, with the whisper of evening traffic pouring in from the Beltway, we laid our bounties on opposing players. We targeted big names, our sights set on taking them out of the game.
Price tags started low during the regular season — a couple hundred bucks for going after the quarterback hard or taking a running back out below the knees. Chop him down and give a quick smile when you got back to the huddle. You just got a bonus.

http://lombardiave.com/wp...img/quote-icon-big.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: 0px 6px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">The pot was collected throughout the season through fines. Show up late? Ding. Blow an assignment during practice? Again. Walk on the field with your chinstrap unbuckled. Again. Break the rules, you gave to the bank.

The cash was kept stashed away at the team facility, in safe hands. After coaches reviewed Sunday’s film, we paid it back out. Our accountability, governed by our accounting.

That’s right. We got paid for big hits, clean hits by the rule book.

Money came in for more than watching a guy leave the field. We earned extra for interceptions, sacks and forced fumbles. If the till wasn’t paid out, we just rolled it over.

Money jumped in the playoffs. A bigger stage equaled more coin. Instead of a few hundred dollars, now you got a thousand, maybe more, depending on the player.

That’s the truth. I can’t sugarcoat this. It was a system we all bought into.

I ate it up.

It’s hard not to, not when you’re playing for a coach like Gregg Williams, my defensive coordinator while I was with the Washington ********.

Williams is an excellent motivator. You do what he wants: play tough, push the envelope and carry a swagger that every opponent sees on tape. When you lined up against us, you knew we were coming after you. It was our gig, our plan, our way to motivate, to extra-motivate.

I wanted to be That Guy for him, playing the game with an attitude opposing players absolutely feared. If that meant playing through the whistle or going low on a tackle, I did it.

I don’t regret any part of it. I can’t. Williams is the best coach I ever played for in my years in the NFL, a true teacher who developed me as a player. I believed in him. I still do. That will never change.

Your career exists in a short window, one that starts closing the moment it opens. If making a play to impress a coach or win a game pushes that window up an inch before it slams back down on your fingers, then you do what has to be done.
pixel.gif

/lombardiave.com/wp-content/themes/fansided_v3/img/quote-icon-big.png);">http://lombardiave.com/wp...img/quote-icon-big.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: 0px 6px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Some day, when my three sons grow up, I will make clear to them that this league isn’t for everyone. No doubt, it can be downright disgusting living by a win-at-all-costs mentality. It’s a fundamental part of the NFL’s culture that isn’t talked about outside of team facilities.
I’m not saying it’s right. Or ethical. But the NFL isn’t little league football with neighborhood dads playing head coach. This is the business of winning. If that means stepping over some line, you do it.

Bounties, cheap shots, whatever you want to call them, they are a part of this game. It is an ugly tradition that was exposed Friday with Williams front and center from his time coaching the defense in New Orleans. But don’t peg this on him alone. You will find it in plenty of NFL cities.

Win or else. That’s the drill.

Special contributor Matt Bowen, who played at Glenbard West and Iowa, spent seven seasons in the NFL as a strong safety. You also can find his work at nationalfootballpost.com

Respect

Brett Farve: "I'm not pissed. It's football," he told Sports Illustrated's Peter King. "I don't think anything less of those guys. Said or unsaid, guys do it anyway. If they can drill you and get you out, they will.''

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Respect

Brett Farve: "I'm not pissed. It's football," he told Sports Illustrated's Peter King. "I don't think anything less of those guys. Said or unsaid, guys do it anyway. If they can drill you and get you out, they will.''

Favre 
pimp.gif

There's a good Sporting News article on this, but this just goes to show that these guys do not care about their own safety. I refuse to listen to players whine about not being adequately covered medically upon retirement when they are going out there intentionally trying to injure each other. 

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

I refuse to listen to players whine about not being adequately covered medically upon retirement when they are going out there intentionally trying to injure each other. 

preach.jpg

So I can't talk about class because of the team that I like? But you can talk about class even though you're mocking the people to lost their lives during hurricane Katrina (including people whom I knew personally). Ok. Cool.

"Awww cute" Yea that wasn't downplaying/mocking anything.

Look at how angry Favre is. I mean it's not like he said everybody else does it.

I hope they strip the saints of all their picks for next 5+ years tho. We deserve it It's clearly against the rules and we got caught.

Originally Posted by erupt107th

But you can talk about class even though you're mocking the people to lost their lives during hurricane Katrina (including people whom I knew personally). Ok. Cool.

"Awww cute" Yea that wasn't downplaying/mocking anything.

Look at how angry Favre is. I mean it's not like he said everybody else does it.

We all know athletes are always 100% straight up with the media.

https://twitter.com/#!/1500ESPNJudd

I remember more than a few people losing control in that nfc ship thread when dude went straight after Favre #gravedig

Originally Posted by DTruth07

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Respect

Favre 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Originally Posted by dmxfury

If you didn't think defensive players aren't trying to take out the QB, bonus or not, you are mistaken

The most alarming finding by the league, according to one club source who was briefed on the investigation late Friday afternoon, was this: Before the 2009 NFC Championship Game, Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma offered any defensive teammate $10,000 in cash to knock then-Vikings quarterback Brett Favre out of the game. Favre was hit viciously several times in the game. That fact was in a report to the 32 NFL owners, sent out by the league to detail further what the league's 50,000-page investigation found.
#%%$$@* despicable. "Awhhh cute lets see the Saints win the whole thing because of a hurricane four years prior"... bunch of #%%$$@* cheapskate +@*+$ *$# mother +$!+@%%.

The asterisk comes in because offering people money to take out a player can CHANGE an outcome in a game. Instead of hitting a guy hard like anybody else, you're hitting them hard but going for their KNEES or ANKLES. Thus, injuring a player on purpose, altering personnel's health, altering outcome. If you're a part of the group that says ALL teams do this than why, even BEFORE this story came out, were people remarking on how dirty the hits were in the 2009 NFC Championship game by the Saints? People have noted that game in particular all the time for the hits, it wasn't just a run of the mill game.
I see nothing wrong with this. Why is it despicable? It's their job, just makes it a more fun game when your teammates want to put money on it. None of the hits that didn't go directly for the helmet were dirty.

This is not cheating. There is no asterisk needed. What if a guy just ups and decides he's taking a player out for free? This aint like somebody bet on the game and is paying players to do this to give them a cut.

The way yall are complaining I can see every hard hit in the game come in to question now. Might as well be playing with two hand touch rules or flag football.

^ Continuning to miss the point, it's not the DIRTY HITS... it's the REWARD PUT UP OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME to tempt dirty hits.

"Three New Orleans Saints players were fined a total of $30,000 for four different hits in Sunday's NFC Championship game. Three of those hits were delivered to Brett Favre."

A lot of salty mogs in here are straight delusional and crying over... I don't know exactly.

Football players get paid millions of dollars to hit people so hard that they could severely injure or kill someone.  Teams pay them to do this.  The league is in existence because of this.

But some of y'all are outraged that this happened?

Y'all find it "despicable" that a linebacker upped the ante for his teammates to take out an opposing quarterback?

roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by red mpls

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

A lot of salty mogs in here are straight delusional and crying over... I don't know exactly.

Football players get paid millions of dollars to hit people so hard that they could severely injure or kill someone.  Teams pay them to do this.  The league is in existence because of this.

Y'all find it "despicable" that a linebacker upped the ante for his teammates to take out an opposing quarterback?

roll.gif
roll.gif
You don't play to intentionally injure another player. Only a classless @#$@$ would do that. what happens if the QB ends up getting a career/life ending injury? You're basically telling these players to take out the QB by any means necessary (hence the dirty hits on Farve). I guess it's all good just so all the wimps and obese dudes watching the games at home can get excited
grin.gif
There IS such a thing called proper tackling technique, which is taught throughout REAL football high schools/colleges. Just cause "many guys do it" doesn't make it right.

And only a loser squad would try to win a game by forcing the other team to play their backups. Where's the pride in beating a team that doesn't have its most important players on the field? You're basically admitting that your team is inferior
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

I refuse to listen to players whine about not being adequately covered medically upon retirement when they are going out there intentionally trying to injure each other.
preach.jpg
GENERALIZING

Originally Posted by SFC415

roll.gif
roll.gif
You don't play to intentionally injure another player. Only a classless @#$@$ would do that. what happens if the QB ends up getting a career/life ending injury? You're basically telling these players to take out the QB by any means necessary (hence the dirty hits on Farve). I guess it's all good just so all the wimps and obese dudes watching the games at home can get excited
grin.gif
There IS such a thing called proper tackling technique, which is taught throughout REAL football high schools/colleges. Just cause "many guys do it" doesn't make it right.

And only a loser squad would try to win a game by forcing the other team to play their backups. Where's the pride in beating a team that doesn't have its most important players on the field? You're basically admitting that your team is inferior
laugh.gif

Homie, either hits are within the rules or outside of the rules.  If they're outside the rules, then they will (or should) be penalized on the field and fined later on.  They may or may not be dirty.  If the hits are not illegal, then it's simply a hard hit... move on.  So if they're breaking the rules they will suffer the consequences.  If not, then that's football.  I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand.

It has nothing to do with people sitting at home watching other than the fact that they are the reason football players get paid to play a violent game for millions of dollars.  I could give a damn about the feelings of the "fans."

As for a team being a "loser squad" by "forcing the other team to play their backups," I guess basketball teams should stop trying to get the other team's best players in foul trouble then right?  That's admitting that your team is inferior right?

At first thought, no one likes the idea of people consciously going onto the football field to literally injure people... but that's essentially what every defensive player does week in and week out throughout the league.  THIS IS NOTHING NEW.  If you watch football and think that that's classless or outrageous then maybe you're watching the wrong sport...

Originally Posted by SFC415

roll.gif
roll.gif
grin.gif

laugh.gif

Homie, either hits are within the rules or outside of the rules.  If they're outside the rules, then they will (or should) be penalized on the field and fined later on.  They may or may not be dirty.  If the hits are not illegal, then it's simply a hard hit... move on.  So if they're breaking the rules they will suffer the consequences.  If not, then that's football.  I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand.

It has nothing to do with people sitting at home watching other than the fact that they are the reason football players get paid to play a violent game for millions of dollars.  I could give a damn about the feelings of the "fans."

As for a team being a "loser squad" by "forcing the other team to play their backups," I guess basketball teams should stop trying to get the other team's best players in foul trouble then right?  That's admitting that your team is inferior right?

At first thought, no one likes the idea of people consciously going onto the football field to literally injure people... but that's essentially what every defensive player does week in and week out throughout the league.  THIS IS NOTHING NEW.  If you watch football and think that that's classless or outrageous then maybe you're watching the wrong sport...
Just because it's nothing new, doesn't mean it's right. Like I said, haven't you seen the state of the players who used to play viciously back in the day? If your son played football, would you want them to end up like them? I agree with you that there are legal hard hits which are unavoidable, but if you're giving incentives to injure other players, don't you think dirty/illegal hits are gonna take place as well? It's like saying, "It's OK if you give that QB a helmet to helmet hit, give him a concussion, and knock him out of the game...it doesn't matter if you get fined, cause we're gonna give you $ for it anyways"
The basketball foul trouble is different. A player gets into foul trouble because he's being a dumb @#$ on the court. You can "persuade" him to commit stupid fouls, but no ones forcing him out of the game.

they actually just did a really good segemnt on this on sports reporters

bob ryan made a good point. americans need to step back and realize that they accepted and chose this extremely violent sport as the national game. it's by far the most popular sport

stop being naive.

Back
Top Bottom