New Orleans Saints engaged in bounty program ... UPDATE 9/7: Saints Players Win Appeal!!! Will play

Damn, this could get really fugly. I wonder how this will effect the squeaky clean Brees from resigning with the Saints?

Definitely going to get worse before better for the Saints

Whats going on Saints fans, what are you hearing locally?

No more Saints commercials 
pimp.gif

The saints put franchise tag on brees. That means, Colston,Carl Nicks, and Robert Meecham are unrestricted Free Agents. I dont expect the saints signing all 3 of them back.

Originally Posted by SportsJunkie

The saints put franchise tag on brees. That means, Colston,Carl Nicks, and Robert Meecham are unrestricted Free Agents. I dont expect the saints signing all 3 of them back.
I forgot about Brees getting tagged. I don't think they can sign two of those guys. Unless they have some youngs guys stepping up, that offense isn't going to look the same. The success they've had was predicated on all of these guys & Graham too. They were able to spread defenses waaay out.

You guys know how sometimes when a player gets hurt and the players kneel down and pray?

What if a bounty was placed on the person, and your intent was to take out the player or have them carted off, would it be proper for the offender or their team to kneel down and pray?

MARCH 05, 2012
[h2]Bucs QB Freeman says players were warned about Saints'
'cheap shots' past three years[/h2]

Quarterback Josh Freeman said players were warned by
Bucs coaches in advance about 'cheap shots,' the New Orleans Saints defense may
attempt during games the past three seasons.

In fact, Freeman was the recipient of one of those
illegal hits out of bounds by Saints cornerback Malcolm Jenkins, who dove at his
knees in a game at Raymond James Stadium in 2010. The Saints received two
unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the play and Jenkins was later fined
$10,000 for the illegal hit.

Freeman said he wasn't surprised to learn about the
NFL's investigation into the Saints bounty system administered by former
defensive coordinator Greg Williams in which players were paid for hits that
forced opponents off the field or out of the game, along with fumble recoveries
and interceptions.

“We just knew every time we played the Saints, they
were going to take some cheap shots,’’ Freeman said Monday. "I mean, it was
always something we acknowledged. We knew Greg Williams’ defenses were physical
and they were going to get after you. Knowing what we know now, it’s not
surprising that was the system that was set up for them.

“It is what it is. I’d just say it’s not surprising.''

The Bucs lost the game in which Jenkins was fined 31-6 but went on to finish
10-6, including a 23-13 win at New Orleans in the regular-season finale.

The NFL is considering disciplinary measures in the New Orleans Saints’
bounty case that could include fines, the forfeiture of draft picks and/or
suspensions of Williams, head coach Sean Payton, general manager Mickey Loomis
and various players.

Williams, who is the defensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams, was called
to New York Monday to meet with NFL security officials Jeff Miller and Joe
Hummel for more discussion about the alleged violations of the league's bounty
rules, according to ESPN.

Freeman, who says he has always had a lot of respect
for Williams and the Saints defense, said Bucs coaches routinely warned
offensive players to beware of New Orleans defenders making illegal hits,
particularly near the sideline.

“We were told, “just kind of like watch your knees on
sideline plays, everybody slowing up and one guy trying to take a shot when
someone is unprepared,'' Freeman said. "It was unnecessary stuff.''

The Bucs are 3-3 against the Saints under Freeman, who took over as the
starting quarterback with nine games remaining in 2009. At 6-foot-6, 248-pounds,
the former first-round pick from Kansas State is better equipped than some
quarterbacks to absorb a lot of punishment and routinely extends plays with his
feet.

Freeman says that while every team attempts to impose physical punishment on
opposing players, it's generally done within the rules. He said sometimes the
Saints defense under Williams crossed the line.

"Everybody plays hard, but nobody goes out and tries to
hurt each other,'' Freeman said. "You go out to hit people hard, you know,
straight up. But we didn’t see whole lot of that other stuff except when we were
playing the Saints.''

Freeman said having played in the NFC South for three seasons, he has become
personally familiar with many of the Saints players and has no particular
problem with them.

“I like a lot of those guys on the team,'' Freeman said. "I know a lot of
Saints guys. Whether it was an extra incentive or whatever it is, I really don’t
know what was going on in their locker room. It was just overall feeling.''

In fact, Freeman said he was unaware of the NFL's investigation into the
Saints' bounty system that was announced Friday until Sunday.

"It’s interesting. I just heard about it yesterday, to be honest,'' Freeman
said. "Someone sent me a link from a story. I read it and said, "this is
interesting.''

Yup, this just promotes late hitting and targeting the head and  knees. Dudes saying "the money doesn't matter" "players try to do that anyway". That's a fair point but
if you have a coach throwing in money for taking a guy out the implication is clear. It's basically the coach saying "do whatever you need to do" w/o coming right out
and saying it. 

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/...ned-about-saints-cheap-shots-past-three-years

$@$% Malcolm Jenkins, he tried taking out Freeman's knees plenty of times.

Former QB & now ESPN analyst Steve Young says players injured by the Saints during the mentioned time periods should sue because the intent was to injure which is different from other injury circumstances that occur during the course of an NFL season. Young also a lawyer...This has opened a whole can of worms for sure...

Originally Posted by psk2310

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by MPire

Brees apparently is livid about the franchise tag and will not sign it.

Source?

It was in the truth & rumours section of SI.com here.

That's crap (if true)...as much as Brees has done for the Saints and meant to the city of New Orleans, giving him the franchise tag is flat out disrespectful. 

yeah i heard the same thing about the tag. cant blame him.

the more that comes out ill admit that maybe i was a little passive regarding this scandal.

I still dont think it's cheating anywhere near as spygate. But morally it's worse if they were targeting to injure

but once again i'm shocked that so many people are shocked.

My take (from what we know as of now) is that while this definitely is something that doesn't need to go on in any league, we yes are going to make a way bigger deal about it than it probably is. We've already seen the uproar.

And that's the job of today's media who are thirsty for the scandal and bold headlines as we get to see time and time again as we know.

Goodell has known all along how this was and will play out in the media and the amount of old blowhards who never played a second of organized sports in their lives putting out their over the top articles on "what has to happen now."

And this media-led circus will cause Goodell to drop the hammer on many parties, earning his usual praise from the blowhards because they have the solutions to everything involving what has to happen in the sports they cover and think they know so much about.

Don't u love how espn does segments about articles that espn journalists wrote? As if they are objective and dont hatab whatever agenda espn wants. Now it's to blow this story up 100 times what it is

Multiple espn reporters wrote articles saying Payton should be fired.

Oh and it's not just ESPN.  New York Daily News writers demanding a lifetime ban for Williams, CBS writers saying Williams should be worrying about prison time, Mike Florio blowing a gasket - which he has - and gladly accepting the record click rates his site will get this week, and the numerous writers and bloggers who get to use their standard headline recycled many times over: "The NFL needs to truly stop the violence."

Is this entire fiasco serious business? Yes it is. But let's not gloss over the true "business" of this scandal. The media mafia having yet another chance to gang together and tell a group of people they have nothing in common with (players and coaches and league execs) what they simply must do and what they must worry about. With internal contests on who can come keep topping each other for the boldest headline for this story.

It started with Williams should get suspended. Then it was he should get suspended at least half the year. Then it was one year. Then it was two years and then it was blackballed from the league. Then it was possible prison time and tomorrow I am waiting for he should be put on death row. And when the Williams angle gets old they move to the owner, GM, head coach Payton, and players should have ______ happen to them too. Anyone in their path look out because the media is about to tell you what has to happen to you five minutes after the main story breaks.

And Goodell is licking his chops to come in, lay down the gauntlet in a few days, and be the savior for this mafia.

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

makes u wonder how sean payton blew up his knee by a accident during the regular season
 i forgot about that, welp
30t6p3b.gif

Defenses aways go extra hard on the star players of the team it not just the teams listed, if you catch a Freeman/Vick/Tebow running out of bounds, of course your gonna want to crack them

my only problem with it is going after knees or the head because thats career threatening  

video_u_sharp_harp_sy_576.jpg

The NFL's accusation that the New Orleans Saints offered "bounty" payments to players for injuring opponents raises a few questions: How many potential payments are we talking about? Which Saints players were the biggest beneficiaries? And how many times did the Saints actually knock the tuna salad out of somebody?

A Wall Street Journal review of every regular- and postseason Saints game since 2009 makes clear what the NFL report didn't: Seldom did a Saints-inflicted injury force an opponent to leave the field.

In 48 regular-season and six postseason games, such incidents occurred only 18 times. The Saints player involved in the largest number of those cases was safety Roman Harper. That number was four.

An NFL official said Monday that league investigators spoke with Saints former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who has acknowledged playing a role in the bounty system. The league has yet to levy penalties and an official said it must discuss the matter with the players union before doing so.

According to the NFL, the Saints rewarded players $1,000 for knocking opponents out of the game and $1,500 if the player had to be taken off in a cart. Exactly who received what on the Saints roster isn't clear, including whether Harper received any money at all. But under that formula, the total payout during those three seasons would have been about $19,000. And of that, based on the review of those seasons, Harper could have pocketed a grand total of about $4,500—peanuts for a player earning more than $7 million a year.

A representative for Harper didn't return messages seeking comment. Saints owner Tom Benson apologized Friday for the team's actions. The team didn't return messages seeking further comment.

At times, the Saints injured themselves, such as when Tracy Porter knocked himself out of a game by using his head to tackle Tampa Bay's Mike Williams.

The Saints can't even be classified as the league's dirtiest team. When it came to personal fouls—the most violent of on-field infractions—the Saints last season tallied 24, fifth-most in the NFL. Since 2009, the team has been whistled for 60 personal fouls, the sixth-highest figure.

Still, in The Journal's review of Saints game film from the past three years, several plays stand out either for level of violence or results achieved—results that the NFL report would suggest may have induced cash payments after the game.

Week 2

With 10:23 left in the first quarter against the Chicago Bears, Harper quickly picked up receiver Earl Bennett coming over the middle. Just after Bennett caught the ball, Harper lowered his head and crushed him, nailing Bennett in the chest and knocking him out of the game. Harper then skipped across the field celebrating the play.

Week 12

After winning the Super Bowl, the New York Giants can look back with a laugh on the 49-24 drubbing they endured in New Orleans. But wide receiver Hakeem Nicks won't find much humor in the pummeling he received with 13:49 to go in the third quarter. After catching a pass downfield, Nicks received a crushing blow to the head from Saints defender Isa Abdul-Quddus. The referees flagged Abdul Quddus for hitting a defenseless receiver, but that didn't stop the Saints defensive back from celebrating his hit. Nicks walked off the field with trainers. "He got a good shot on me. It wasn't the last time I got hit like that. It's just part of the game," he said.

Week 14

In a tense game with the Tennessee Titans, Harper prevented a touchdown by grabbing receiver Damian Williams's face mask in the open field, prompting Titans receiver Nate Washington to complain after the game that Harper was a "dirty player."

But a couple of injuries inflicted in the final moments may have saved it for the Saints. Ahead by six with 3:15 left in the game, and with the Titans driving, the Saints' Tracy Porter sacked Titans quarterback Jake Locker, who left the game.

With under 30 seconds remaining, a trio of Saints—Jabari Greer, Malcolm Jenkins and Jo-Lonn Dunbar—whacked Washington after he made a 40-yard catch to within the 10-yard line. Washington limped off the field on the next play, and the Titans' comeback faltered.

Week 12

Dallas quarterback Tony Romo didn't do receiver Miles Austin any favors, throwing him a perfect hospital ball over the middle with 4:33 to go in the first quarter.

The pass left the Cowboys' star receiver open to a shot from Tracy Porter that knocked him out of the game. No penalty was called on the play and the hit appeared clean.

2009 Playoffs

Divisional round

As a star quarterback, Arizona's Kurt Warner was likely a target of the Saints. Their opportunity came in the second quarter after he threw an interception.

Rushing to make up for his mistake, Warner got whacked on a blind block by Bobby McCray. The blow sent Warner to the turf and knocked him from the game. He later returned but the loss to the Saints was his final game.

Link

Agreed RY

I almost majored in journalism but after taking a few classes and more in tune with the field I decided against it.

Even good people are put into the position to push agendas. Or write things they know they shouldn't. Especially after the new media took over. I mean at one time there was spectacular investigative journalism. There still is, but it's drowned out. Or the talented fell in line or the money.

Had a teacher that worked for the post and they would have her basically waiting in the bushes at people's houses where a tragedy happened. She hated it. It's a tough profession and sometimes u gotta put away the morals.

i never saw the saints as a dirty team. they should and will be punished because they broke the rules. they'll get punished alot more harshly than new england did which i think is wrong because this wasn't cheating. there are rules put in place to protect the players so if they were doing anything malicious then it's the nfl and the referees that failed, not the saints. i think this story has been blown out of proportion.

Talbert

Bounty Scandal, Brees holding out, Nicks, Colston, Porter, Vilma and Meachem leaving in free agency...cue Birdman handrub.

Now I just need to photoshop a picture of Cam smoking out of a crack pipe and a bookie to say that Roddy White has been throwing games.

Back
Top Bottom