New Season Thread Made, Move on Over :)

nice highlights, it seemed like he was everyone's fav from the "lakeshow". i never really gave dude much attention (wasn't even a laker fan until '99 when he was traded & KB8 became a regular starter) so it was interesting to see. very athletic & i remember him doing well in Charlotte, but how/why did he fall off after moving to Miami? injuries? and any idea why he changed his # from 25 to 6?

gail goodrich had his number retired in the 90s? so eddie had to switch

right?

oh that vid brought back memories!

- Van Exel's celebrations would have been technical fouls in todays rules :smh:
- I miss Chick and the Great Western Forum environment ("When I say Eddie you say Jones! Eddie-Jones Eddie-Jones!)
- Wish we never traded Van Exel (for tony battie, lol... then traded him for travis knight :x )
- Wish we never traded Eddie for Glen Rice.... but still we got a championship with him

As humble as Eddie was... he was fearless attacking Olajuwon and Shawn Bradley.... thanks for posting the vid :smokin

Last edited:
Watching those videos up there....

Listening to Chick, man how much he's missed in Lakerland :frown:

Eddie Jones was a very underrated dunker. He was a beast. However, a young Kobe Bryant wouldn't have flourished coming off the bench, so Eddie had to go.

Last edited:
No AK, he's not interested in playing for the veteran's minimum, which is why the Nets are knocked out of the running.

We need some type of player that can play the 20 minutes or so when Kobe's out, or slide Kobe to the 3, etc. Preferably someone who can guard James Harden.

I'm still hoping for Donte Greene...

Eddie Jones was my man. I was emotional when he was traded to Charlotte. Man, he's the prototype Phil Jackson player. He could've fit that Pip role.

"WHEN I SAY EDDIE. YOU SAY JONES. EDDIE! JONES! EDDIE! JONES!"

Knicks/Nets opening on Nov. 1. I'd expect Lakers/Clips to follow?

My bet for Christmas is Knicks. There aren't any huge Laker rivalries, so the next option is two big markets. Nets maybe.

I have a hard time believing the NBA would pass on marketing the Thunder-Lakers for Opening Night.

I have a hard time believing the NBA would pass on marketing the Thunder-Lakers for Opening Night.

I think the Lakers open the season against the Nuggets. The NBA & and TNT like to hype up rivalries to help boost TV ratings.

nice highlights, it seemed like he was everyone's fav from the "lakeshow". i never really gave dude much attention (wasn't even a laker fan until '99 when he was traded & KB8 became a regular starter) so it was interesting to see. very athletic & i remember him doing well in Charlotte, but how/why did he fall off after moving to Miami? injuries? and any idea why he changed his # from 25 to 6?

He changed from wearing #25 to #6 because the Lakers during his 2nd season decided to retire Gail Goodrich's jersey which was #25.

oh that vid brought back memories!
- Van Exel's celebrations would have been technical fouls in todays rules :smh:
- I miss Chick and the Great Western Forum environment ("When I say Eddie you say Jones! Eddie-Jones Eddie-Jones!)
- Wish we never traded Van Exel (for tony battie, lol... then traded him for travis knight :x )
- Wish we never traded Eddie for Glen Rice.... but still we got a championship with him
As humble as Eddie was... he was fearless attacking Olajuwon and Shawn Bradley.... thanks for posting the vid :smokin

Nick "The Quick" got himself traded when he started chanting "1,2,3 Cancoon" right before the Lakers were about to get swept by the Jazz in 97 playoffs.Shaq went to management and told Dr. Buss he wanted him gone.

Eddie Jones was tough seeing him leave. At the time though he was due for and wanted a max contract extension.There were rumors that Jerry West wanted to trade him for Scottie Pippen but Dr. Buss didn't want to take on Pippen's contract and that Jerry Reinsdorf was holding out and was asking for Kobe.

Last edited:
Nick "The Quick" got himself traded when he started chanting "1,2,3 Cancoon" right before the Lakers were about to get swept by the Jazz in 97 playoffs.Shaq went to management and told Dr. Buss he wanted him gone.
Eddie Jones was tough seeing him leave. At the time though he was due for and wanted a max contract extension.There were rumors that Jerry West wanted to trade him for Scottie Pippen but Dr. Buss didn't want to take on Pippen's contract and that Jerry Reinsdorf was holding out and was asking for Kobe.

i heard about the cancun story, but i believe that there was more to it than that.. even though he was a talented player, being benched behind derek fisher didnt help and just him being nick.. i wouldnt call him a headcase, but he was a player that brought some drama

i heard about the cancun story, but i believe that there was more to it than that.. even though he was a talented player, being benched behind derek fisher didnt help and just him being nick.. i wouldnt call him a headcase, but he was a player that brought some drama

It was the final straw. Nick clearly had attitude issues going back to his college days at Cincinnati and was the reason why he dropped so late in the 2nd round.

Then he had that incident of chest bumping a ref which got him suspended.He started arguing with Del Harris during games when he got benched.There was a game where the Lakers were down 2 and Nick had a wide open fast break layup at the end the of a game and instead he pulled up and missed a 3 :lol:

Eddie Jones was my man. I was emotional when he was traded to Charlotte. Man, he's the prototype Phil Jackson player. He could've fit that Pip role.
"WHEN I SAY EDDIE. YOU SAY JONES. EDDIE! JONES! EDDIE! JONES!"

Eddie Jones was that dude, even when he wore #25. I was heartbroken when they traded him for Glen Rice. :frown:

Back
Top Bottom