New Season Thread Made, Move on Over :)

Originally Posted by Bean Pie Slanga

What's Lamar gonna do on the Clippers with CP3 handling the ball and Griffin/Jordan clogging the paint?
Exactly 
Lamar is done guys.. Lakers saw it and got rid of him, get mo will, put him to the bench and it makes us much better shooters. 

He's a knockdown guy. 

Originally Posted by MJGREATXII

What's Lamar gonna do on the Clippers with CP3 handling the ball and Griffin/Jordan clogging the paint?
Exactly 
Lamar is done guys.. Lakers saw it and got rid of him, get mo will, put him to the bench and it makes us much better shooters. 

He's a knockdown guy. 
They Also have Martin and Evans.

Mo Williams is a much better option at PG on a team with D12. That Orlando team that reached the Finals.... surrounded with shooters.

If you can't shoot, you must sit.

Well Dwight runs the pick and roll well.. And guess who loves to run the pick and roll and is a better passer?  Sessions..

Sessions FG% - 47.9%
Sessions 3P% - 48.9%
12.7 points on 9.2 shots

Mo FG %- 42.6%
Mo 3P% - 38.9%
13.2 points on 11.8 shots 

Sessions is also the better rebounder.. And the better passer..

Mr. J then send him to the Blazers.. Anything but Steve Blake on the Lakers again. Everytime LakersNation tweets winning with Steve Blake as the backup I die a little inside.

One small move the Lakers should strongly consider is signing Donte Greene, who was not extended a qualifying offer from Sacramento.

Assuming the ship has sailed with Matt Barnes, Greene would be a minor upgrade. It seems as if he's just as (in)consistent with his outside jumper, but he's more athletic and a great defender.

He can probably be had for cheap, and his upside would make it a better choice than Barnes for around the same price.

If the Lakers land some other pieces like Beasley for the bench, they would suddenly have a dynamic, energetic second unit with a lot of upside. The Blake, Barnes, and Troy Murphy subs would really be hit-or-miss; they made the Lakers look slow and old as a whole. A unit of Blake, Greene, Beasley, and Hill would be a lot more athletic, explosive, and not prone to age.

Plus, he's a class act.

Essential1 if this is a worthy idea you can look at the hard stats
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Essential1

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

laugh.gif

frown.gif

I mean see if the stats back this idea up or not
smile.gif

If he can be had in the same price range as McRoberts or Murphy, he'd be an infinitely better investment for that kind of money IMO.

Originally Posted by Essential1

laugh.gif

frown.gif

I mean see if the stats back this idea up or not
smile.gif

If he can be had in the same price range as McRoberts or Murphy, he'd be an infinitely better investment for that kind of money IMO.
I really don't remember seeing him play.. So I can't put 2&2 together for it. His stats aren't really wowing.

To be honest I wouldn't know.

Murphy was vet min, McBob was mini-MLE. For Murphy money sure it'd be ok to have him as an extra option off the bench.. But for McBob money I have to disagree because it is the only money we got to sign someone other than vet minimum, and I'd rather try to go after the best candidate possible with the mini-MLE.

Yeah there probably are a lot of really good mini-MLE candidates out there to add a solid rotation player; then possibly use the trade exception to swing in a deal like the proposed Mo Williams one.

I'm not sure the kind of market Donte will command, but I don't expect it to be higher than the mini-MLE. If the Lakers add two soild bench guys and there aren't any other guys willing to take paycuts, Greene would be the perfect third add.

I'm just assuming one or no solid trades happen, though.

maybe management has some tricks up their sleeves

getting Josh Smith for Gasol, then flipping Bynum for D12 and getting Mo-Will

Kobe, D12, Smith, Mo is a great core

Originally Posted by Lizaker4Lizife

maybe management has some tricks up their sleeves

getting Josh Smith for Gasol, then flipping Bynum for D12 and getting Mo-Will

Kobe, D12, Smith, Mo is a great core

Somehow get beasely for steve blake 
eek.gif
 at our team 

Originally Posted by LiCeNseD To BaLL

Yeah and they'll somehow sign Harden and trade Sessions for Rondo while they're at it...
Come on guys. 
grin.gif

laugh.gif

Those were not out of the realm of possibility though.

Not the Harden or Rondo..  But Josh/Dwight/Mo

Originally Posted by LiCeNseD To BaLL

Yeah and they'll somehow sign Harden and trade Sessions for Rondo while they're at it...
Come on guys. 
grin.gif

laugh.gif
Seriously, we couldn't trade for Beasley, now we going to pick up Smith and Dwight in the same summer?
I'm conflicted here, I want to win, but I want to win with this core, but that doesn't seem likely to happen. If we can get a legit point guard for Bynum, or Dwight for Bynum i'm down for that. I think Bynum is an injury or tantrum away from being detrimental to this team.

We'll see what happens, at this point nothing will surprise me, including standing pat...
ohwell.gif

There really is a way to make this roster better top to bottom... Better big combo, and load up the bench...

But the FO can't play wait and see to do it.. They must start tomorrow.

Realistically for the Lakers to make one trade where they come out clear cut winners is tough enough... let alone three trades.

I'd brace for a summer of signing mini MLE FA's and maybe a decent get like Beasley or Mo.

Lakers trying to trade Gasol, make big move, but no takers yet
By: Kurt Helin Jun 27, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT

The Lakers need to make changes. Well, unless you think Kobe Bryant and the Lakers fan base sits well with second round exits. Los Angeles needs to bring in more talent to help them win now around Kobe, Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol.

The Lakers management also sees the looming luxury tax increase they would face if they don’t lower their payroll — last year they had $86 million in salary, paying a $16 million tax, but if this were 2015 that same payroll would lead to a $52 million tax. That would be in addition to their increased revenue sharing checks.

That is the crossroads the Lakers find themselves at — needing upgrades to win now but not having a lot of resources to bring in more talent, plus the cost of what they do bring in goes up exponentially in coming years. Rock, meet hard place.

The Lakers have been rumored to be talking to teams in the 20s about moving into the first round of the NBA Draft (there are a lot of teams shopping picks in that range). Which is nice. With a pick in the 20s they can get a guy that in a couple years may be a solid rotation player.

But we all know the Lakers need to make a bigger move — and they are open to it, but there are no nibbles tweets Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports.

The Lakers are very open to trade talk in regards to forward Pau Gasol, but nothing is imminent, according to two NBA sources.

If the Lakers make a bold move, don’t expect it to be around the draft. Owner Jim Buss said not to expect one at all, and maybe that’s the case. But more likely the Lakers are looking for a big move that is a win for them and being patient. They have always been a patient franchise (just with an impatient fan base). They will try to jump in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes when that ramps up again.

But they are not looking to give projects big minutes, which is why you shouldn’t be expected a draft-day move.

Link

Hawks Shopping Josh Smith To Lakers For Gasol
Jun 27, 2012 8:21 PM EDT

Read more: http://basketball.realgm...._For_Gasol#ixzz1z46xXMxI

The Hawks are aggressively shopping Josh Smith to the Lakers for Pau Gasol, beginning their pursuit shortly after the Western Conference semifinals.

Smith has been unhappy with Atlanta for more than a year.

Smith has one season remaining on his contract for $13.2 million.

Via Mike Bresnahan/Los Angeles Times

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221783/Hawks_Shopping_Josh_Smith_To_Lakers_For_Gasol

rumors on top of rumors
grin.gif

but yo, even if we get a good core, we'll still have an awful bench. and a coach that doesnt know how to use rotations. so our starters will be dead by june..again. we need a good core, but also role players willing and able to step up. we need shooters to spread the floor and guys commited on defense. i'm not so much into big names as i am with talent and ability, although those are usually synonymous with each other..

[h1]Sessions pivotal to Lakers' offseason plans[/h1]
By KEVIN DING

2012-06-27 18:13:

Ramon Sessions could still be really, really good.

If there is one message to plaster across the Lakers' so-far undeclared offseason banner, that's the most logical and legitimate one.

If that's not a big enough or bold enough move for fans this offseason, that's understandable. The Lakers aren't sure it's enough either.

The Lakers are indeed hoping to do something bigger and bolder – and bring in someone who fits even better with the speed and athleticism of Sessions. They're just trying to determine what big, bold move truly makes sense.

It's not just about Pau Gasol, either.

Andrew Bynum might seem less likely to the entire world to be moved, but the Lakers are open to the right scenario where they can maximize his value after a season in which he showed two things: the All-Star he can be and the solid health that the Lakers are uncertain he can repeat.

The Lakers have taken steps to prepare for a Bynum trade if his value is what the Lakers have to give up in the right deal. They already know Gasol isn't the most logical fit next to Bynum – the Lakers having size but being hurt in so many speed ways – but the problem is that you simply cannot give away Gasol for promises.

Gasol is a guy who has been great – great, not just good. And in the Lakers' situation where they believe they are still close to a championship, you don't give away some proven greatness for pieces that have no likely chance of that.

The Lakers aren't going to trade Gasol just to get a high pick in the draft Thursday night, even if that kind of move meets two of their goals: getting younger and lightening their overwhelming future payroll. They still need useful talent for today next to Kobe Bryant.

So making either big big-man move with Bynum or Gasol in a way that clearly improves the Lakers for today and tomorrow is an epic challenge. The standard of success, sort of sadly, is coming away with a game-changer such as Chris Paul – the move that giveth nothing and taketh away so, so much.

This brings us back to point guard and the upgrade the Lakers trust is not Paul but is progress: Sessions.

The Lakers are prepared for the possibility that their main offseason move will be re-signing Sessions next month. But they also have to be prepared for the possibility that they won't even be able to re-sign Sessions.

The Lakers didn't want Sessions to explore free agency this offseason, fearful of some club putting in an above-market bid for him. Bear in mind that many clubs saw great potential in him three years ago before Sessions' career was derailed in large part because of – how about this – the triangle offense.

Former Phil Jackson assistant Kurt Rambis was Minnesota's coach when Sessions signed his free-agent deal to play there, and Sessions' powerful pick-and-roll voice was muted by the triangle elements Rambis insisted on employing with the Timberwolves.

Assuming no crazy offer comes to Sessions after free-agent talks begin at 9:01 p.m. Pacific Saturday night, the Lakers are preparing to pay and make him part of their post-triangle future.

It would be reinvesting in all they believed when they traded for him, the market research and analytical spreadsheets that project all he can be with a little more time and opportunity.

And it would be doubling down on the hope that the next card is a strong king as opposed to something that comes up painfully small. The Lakers are aware that they are in a situation where Bryant can't sit at the table for years and years; they need to take a gamble on someone while not giving away the assets they do have.

Getting Sessions already cost the Lakers almost all of their ability to take part in the draft Thursday night. They got to see him first-hand for two months, and what he did prove immediately is that his speed and athleticism are different from everyone on their roster. He even hit nearly 50 percent of his 3-point shots.

No doubt that Sessions wilted under the playoff microscope and needs Mike Brown to perform the defensive upgrade that the coach did on so many defense-challenged players in Cleveland, but it's more about incorporating his skills better than Sessions not being able to play – especially now that Sessions has some experience with a winning team and taking part in the postseason.

There were an awful lot of extenuating circumstances at work in making Sessions look as bad as he did in the playoffs.

If you're a Lakers fan, understand how important it is to bring him back – even as exciting as it is to contemplate what the Lakers can get for Bynum or Gasol

I agree that Sessions is important. But I think first we need to figure out our identity, do we want to continue to be a slow throw it into the post team? Or do we want to move up and down more? If we're going to go up and down, are we sure that Bynum is going to buy into that? 

I dont think we make any moves until Dwight is moved. Cant afford to miss out on him and/or Deron by going after J Smith or a 2nd tier player.

Back
Top Bottom