New Westbrook signature shoe? (Pic)

For the record, I never said traction was bad, I said the floor I was on sucked. But I did slide and have to wipe a ton.

Okay, so i just came back from my run.

first play, full court - fastbreak off an outlet pass - layup - felt great.
second play, come down into a half court set, cut through the lane, go to plant my left foot and it dragged, and i completely roll it. fml.
HOWEVER: im not sure whether this is due to my laziness when i dragged my foot. or whether fresh out of the box these damn things have so much traction. i'm telling you whoever said the translucent sole had no traction was definitely wrong.

nonetheless i sat out for 5 mins, switched into my confettis for 30 to get warm again then laced up and were all good to go. finished the session in the Zer0.1 and had no more issues, just a little soreness on my ankle.

Overall i rate the shoe. the lockdown is nuts, however the heel cup is definitely weighty and u can notice it. next time i play is thursday, if anyone wants an update on traction - lockdown - or whether my *** hits the deck again after a second 2-3 hour session in them, then I will gladly post it up.

Thanks!! Please post up Thursday!

JS”

Got a high ankle sprain in my previous go-to shoe that sidelined me for a month. Still returned to my go-to shoe as soon as I was able.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone ever had a bad ankle injury and been afraid to wear the shoe again?
Slid and hurt my ankle in my Jordan XXXI Lows and I’ve been hesitant to wear them again since to ball. Shoot around sure but not play.

Last edited:
yeah its super frustrating, was so hyped for these. i genuinely am hoping it was down to too much traction and not the shoes actual ankle support or the heavy heel cup itself.

I just wanna fly like russ :frown:

Slightly off topic, but has anyone ever had a bad ankle injury and been afraid to wear the shoe again?

nike-hyperflight-page.jpg

Rolled my ankle numerous times in these. I finally quit hooping in them, then Nike recalled them. Loved the look of the shoe, but was happy to get my money back.

Did a step back fadeaway in my KD9s and a guy stuck his foot under mine before I landed. I rolled so hard I feel like my lateral malleolus touched the floor. The top of the ankle area on the KD9s were so rigid that there was no give and I ended up tearing 3 ligaments, breaking a couple of bones and having a blood vessel pop for good measure. I had a ton of fun hooping in those shoes but will likely never wear a pair of KDs again. And like 50% of the injury had nothing to do with the shoes. This was before he moved to Golden State, so now I have more reason to avoid the line.

If you're gonna step on someone, no amount of ankle support is going to save you. In fact, having too much restriction might make the sprain worse since the ankle's natural mobility is altered by the support or ankle brace.

My varsity coach said once you've rolled it once, your most likely to do it again & again... Not sure how true that was, but it definitely was the case with me.

My varsity coach said once you've rolled it once, your most likely to do it again & again... Not sure how true that was, but it definitely was the case with me.
Yeah the tendon gets weaker after each roll. You have to actually strengthen the muscles surrounding the ankle if you want to get better and regain confidence.

Worst ankle sprain I've ever had was in the AJ29s. 2 on 1 fast break, I went up for a layup and the defender came under me making me land high on my right ankle spraining it on both sides. It sidelined me for 5-6 months with rehab. When I started hitting the courts again I was crazy superstitious about the 29s even though it wasn't the shoe's fault. I even tried playing in the AJ30s and couldn't get into them because they reminded me of the injury I had in the 29s. Sprained the same ankle at least once a year since then, but have found success playing in a soft brace.

i rolled my ankle 1st time with the hyperdunk 2016 but it was just a mild sprain, but i had to rest for 1 month, i sold that and never played again, it was me alone, doing a rebound and the traction bite so hard , i was jumping side ways and my ankle rolled

then i rolled my ankle on a lebron 10, very heavy i guess, i step on a defender foot when he tried to chase block me, sold it as well,

trying to play safely nowadays, but i think its not the shoes, its more of that luck i guess

- on the westbrook shoes, im super excited to play on these

I get the trend of avoiding shoes you rolled your ankle in, but for me I try to be more cautious and aware of how I play.

Some shoes are just designed poorly and there's no getting around it. But a lot of times it's about how you play. As I get older there are certain guidelines I usually play by. For example, no more driving and going up for shots/lay ups in a crowd. I usually only go up for a layup when it's a wide open lane.

And when I challenge a jump shooter, jump to their sides and always give them room to land.

It helps a LOT to play with people you know. Usually there is a line they won't cross that other people will during random pick up games. I would get pretty heated at guys fouling hard, undercutting, and other dirty play during regular pick up games. Like, damn what are we playing for, the Thursday afternoon Championship at L.A. Fitness?

I've been balling in these for days now and these are pure FIRE.

Superior cushioning to the Curry IV, Kyrie IV, and PG1. The lockdown is absolutely flawless and the extended outrigger allows you to really mash in the lane. The most fun I've had playing in a new basketball shoe since the XX9's or the Kobe IV's when the first came out. Very impressed with these...Other then not having fly weave or a knitted upper, it has all of the specs of a Jordan brand flagship model at only $125.00. I haven't balled in the harden's, and I have heard a lot of great things about boost cushioning, but full length zoom is the GOLD standard when it comes to cushioning and court feel. I tried playing in the Curry IV's after these, and it was like playing on a concrete court barefoot...Props to JB for putting together a solid performer at a very reasonable price....

Back
Top Bottom