[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

[h1][/h1]
[h1]News: Beltran is Doing Great, Ahead of Schedule[/h1]
February 12, 2010 at 9:36 am · 56 comments

by Matthew Cerrone

images
This morning on WFAN, host Craig Carton spoke to Mets OF Carlos Beltran, who said he’s doing great.

Beltran said he is ahead of schedule, while rehabbing in Puerto Rico.

According to the New York Post, “Beltran will head to spring training when position players report, even though the star center fielder will not be physically ready and is under no obligation to report that early.

from MetsParadise.com

Mets Number 5 Starter
Write by Brandon Lee 22:22 PM, February 11th, 2010

It appears the Mets are done for now with adding starting pitchers. Even if they do add John Smoltz, Pedro Martinez or Chien-Ming Wang (who appears to be headed to the Nationals), they won’t be ready for Opening Day.

So that brings us to the question; who will be the Mets Opening Day number 5 starter? The candidates appear to be Jonathon Niese, Fernando Nieve, Hisanori Takahashi, Josh Fogg, Nelson Figueroa and Pat Misch.

Jonathon Niese is one of the Mets top ranked pitching prospects. He came up in 2008 briefly and struggled. He came up again this season in May and did a decent job but got sent back down to the minor were he dominated. He came back up to the majors in July to replace the injured Nieve and had two very impressive starts. He was on his way to another good start against the St. Louis Cardinals on August 5th but with 2 outs in the 2nd inning he tore his hamstring and his season was over. He had surgery and he is on pace to be ready for Spring Training.

Fernando Nieve had a similar story to Niese. He had 7 starts with the Mets and posted a 2.95 ERA. He tore a muscle in his right thigh and had surgery that kept him out for the rest of the season. Nieve should be ready for Spring Training as well.

Hisanori Takahashi was signed by the Mets today and went 10-6 with a 2.94 ERA for the Yomiuri Giants in Japan. The 35 year old left handed pitcher will be competing for a spot in the rotation and might make a strong case. I think he will start the season in the minors though.

Josh Fogg is coming off a year were he spent most of the time in the bullpen for the Colorado Rockies. He pitched in 24 games throwing 45.2 innings with a 3.74 ERA. I don’t think he will earn a spot in the rotation, but he could get one in the bullpen. I pretty much see him as a replacement for Brian Stokes.

Nelson Figueroa ended the season on a high note for the Mets and because of this he will be considered for a spot in the rotation. However, he is a streaky performer and I don’t see him winning to spot. I see him more as a spot starter when someone either gets hurt or needs a rest.

Pat Misch did a nice job for the Mets last year as a starter. In total he started 7 games with 1 complete game shutout and 4.79 ERA. He had success coming out of the bullpen as well. I think because of the Mets shortage of lefties in the bullpen he will eventually end up there.
So what do you think? Who will be the number 5 starter for the New York

Pelfrey and Perez are gonna be fine this season. If Maine can stay healthy we win 93 games. I'm expecting a big year (13, 14 wins) out of Jonathan Niese, though.

by Matthew Cerrone

…i keep hearing the Mets might do, or are considering doing, some sort of New York-themed race in Citi Field, sort of like the Sausage Race in Milwuakee and the Presidents Race in DC… i am not sure how to feel about this… on one hand, it’d better than the digital, no-human element Subway and Airplane races they typically run on the scoreboards in Citi Field and Yankees Stadium… at the same time, it’s copying the Brewers and Nationals… but, it could also be pretty entertaining, depending on what type of characters they have running around out there…

i want another subway series so bad man. unfortunately it doesnt look like you guys will even make the playoffs if u go into the season with that rotation but well see i guess

Perez won't be fine, if he is for any reason, it will be just for this season. He is content with that paycheck.

Maine really is that damn good but he can never stay healthy.

Pelf to me will be ok, he just has to be aggressive again.

The lineup isn't too bad we just need some depth (Reyes, Castillo, Beltran, Bay, Wright, Franc, Murphy, Santos, Pitcher), its the rotation that keeps me uneasy.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Pelfrey and Perez are gonna be fine this season. If Maine can stay healthy we win 93 games. I'm expecting a big year (13, 14 wins) out of Jonathan Niese, though.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

None of those things are happening

I'll be shocked if any of those things happen. Perez is terrible. Pelfrey is scared to throw inside and leaves everything over the plate. Maine won't be healthy. And if you're expecting Niese to win 13-14 games that way too high for him.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I'll be shocked if any of those things happen. Perez is terrible. Pelfrey is scared to throw inside and leaves everything over the plate. Maine won't be healthy. And if you're expecting Niese to win 13-14 games that way too high for him.
Let me dream a little please.

Pelfrey was scared because he doubted himself too much at times (took forever between pitches) , but the season prior he was fearless.

Its mental with him, but he's not a headcase like Perez.

Perez just got complacent with the money (but hes not that great to begin with, only vs lefty heavy lineups).

Oh, and Vegas has us @ 89.5 wins.
nerd.gif

I'd take the over because I can't imagine us not making a trade for a big pitcher when we're 5 games out at the All Star Break.

while i feel bad for Omir, i must say we got a legit starter who will hit bout 15 dingers and is known for his solid D. PLUS he caught roy halladay last year, so he can give us some info on how he works. id much rather have barajas at 1mil then molina at 2/15mil. Good move Omar..

Yeah Molina can hit but hes fat old and slow.

I'd take the over because I can't imagine us not making a trade for a big pitcher when we're 5 games out at the All Star Break.

I can see that happening, I still don't think we will be AS BAD as some of us are expecting its just us being frustrated with ownership (they need to sell the team). But the starters will have to step up, and hopefully we get some positive breaks for a change.

The good thing about Barajas is that Thole can play at AAA all season and they can see what kind of player he is.

Buzz: Jon Niese Leads Fifth Starter Race

February 21, 2010 at 1:46 pm · 1 comment

by Michael Baron

Kevin Kernan of the New York Post says Jon Niese is ahead of schedule, and leads the race for the fifth starter spot in the rotation.

Jerry Manuel told Kernan, regarding Niese, “that he’s good to go.

It's hard to expect anything as a Met fan, but we are due for a good year all things considered. Yes, Wilpon does need to sell the team, and our rotation is garbage after Johan, but we will be in the race IF we stay healthy.

I expect the worse, this team's time has passed and our awful rotation hasn't improved.  I expect us to be 3rd or 4th in the division

this team will return to form this year...

on another note, anyone start the 2010 season thread?

Back
Top Bottom