[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

Their payroll dropped a ton and haven't been able to sign a lot of talented players on the cheap who could've helped us RIGHT NOW....not because Omar is not doing his job, but because he is handcuffed since ownership0 doesn't want to spend money. Hudson is over-rated but he could help us, Laroche signed for nothing, Bedard was 1.5M signing....%@!% even a small market team like the A's took a risk and signed Sheets (who will be their opening day starter).

The Phillies win a championship and they go out and upgrade by signing Ibanez in the off-season, getting Lee mid-season, etc. Mets go one game away from making the NLCS with a depleted starting staff, and they do NOTHING. They decide to upgrade the pen two years too late.

this is omars fault. they claim this FA class was weak (true) but regardless i think its worth taking risks on player on a 1 year basis, if they dont wanna tie up money next year. sheets, bedard and garland couldve fit lovely in citi field. im not mad about castillo, it is what it is, but no proven starter was brought in, and the catcher spot was not significantly upgraded. omar has done some great moves (krod, bay) but its what he HASNT done that will eventually define his tenure as mets GM

...and how is that Omar's fault if all reports keep stating that because of the Madoff ponzi ordeal the Mets will not pursue any moves.

If you want me to get on Omar with his lack of communication (English is not his first language), or his average job with prospects which is not entirely on the GM to begin with...fine.....but when it comes to spending money and having limits/budgets thats on ownership. The Mets are at risk for losing any profits gained from the Madoff ordeal, so they are content with not doing anything right now.

I'm not gonna put Omar on a pedestal but I give credit where credit is due (especially lately with his negotiations with solid low risk contracts...Castillo being his last bad one).

Despite all that though with every passing season its becomes clearer and clearer ownership was to blame all along, you can have any GM/manager there and it'd be the same $!%!.

The Mets are probably not as bad as we make em out to be, but there were several opportunities to improve the team for bargain prices that were passed up. That is hard to take as a fan. The Mets inability to sign low budget players goes beyond the GM.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Apparently they're doing some construction on the bullpen for next year...

6053746.jpg
Guess the visiting bullpen won't be behind 30 sets of fences like it was last year.

The cream whites should not have the black drop shadow on the letters and numbers; IMO, the jerseys would've looked better and looked a lot more like the jerseys they were trying to emulate:

mskm4k.jpg

i like omar, but lets not kid ourselves like he has a plan. at the end of the offseason he was talking defense, and pitching. NEITHER was upgraded. at all. add to that the handling of beltran, he is not free of criticism

Yeah but you think Omar doesn't want Hudson (even though Castillo outplayed him by a mile last season, he is due to get hurt)? Or Lackey/Sheets pitching behind Santana?

You are only as good as the freedom you get. I criticize and praise Omar when need be as any other fan does, but I can't fault him here. He isn't even allowed to get basement bargain players, that goes beyond one guy.

As for the jerseys I can live with the off white, it will just take time getting used to.

I'll simplify this argument...

Neither the Wilpons or Minaya are worth a damn in terms of their ability to build a team.

I have very little confidence that this year's team will even compete for the NL East.

They're basically hedging their bets that last year's opening day lineup with Bay taking over for Delgado, albeit at a different position, remaining healthy and EVERYONE playing at their highest possible level. I just don't see it happening.

I just can't believe that they didn't pick up some kind of starting pitcher to fit into the rotation. %+$@ is terrible. It's like Minaya and the Wilpons sat back thinking that someone would fall into their lap at the right price. That few million dollars they refused to spend is going to be lost when the team sucks once again this year, doesn't make the playoffs and there is a lack of ticket/merchandise sales because Mets fans are tired of the same *%@%#+%*.

I cannot support Omar Minaya any longer. The reason is that Luis Castillo is still on the New York Metropolitans.

I'm not a huge Omar fan but if we had any GM there would've been no moves made regardless, hands are tied.

In other news:

The Mets lowered the center field fences from 16 feet to 8 feet. It's a start.

David and Bay are loving this.

I really hope they're in contention this season. They need everyone healthy and need the kids in Florida to not produce.

Very excited for this season...
1.  How will Jason Bay play in citi field?
2.  Is Reyes back to full health?
3.  Will Matthews Jr. play good?
4.  Breakout year for Murphy?
5.  Can we stay healthy?
6.  Is this finally the countdown to the end of Omar?

Yorvit Torrealba offered himself to the mets for 1.4MM

The Mets "indicated they had no money to spend."

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

...and how is that Omar's fault if all reports keep stating that because of the Madoff ponzi ordeal the Mets will not pursue any moves.

If you want me to get on Omar with his lack of communication (English is not his first language), or his average job with prospects which is not entirely on the GM to begin with...fine.....but when it comes to spending money and having limits/budgets thats on ownership. The Mets are at risk for losing any profits gained from the Madoff ordeal, so they are content with not doing anything right now.

I'm not gonna put Omar on a pedestal but I give credit where credit is due (especially lately with his negotiations with solid low risk contracts...Castillo being his last bad one).

Despite all that though with every passing season its becomes clearer and clearer ownership was to blame all along, you can have any GM/manager there and it'd be the same $!%!.

The Mets are probably not as bad as we make em out to be, but there were several opportunities to improve the team for bargain prices that were passed up. That is hard to take as a fan. The Mets inability to sign low budget players goes beyond the GM.
This.

Originally Posted by ddot7

I'll simplify this argument...

Neither the Wilpons or Minaya are worth a damn in terms of their ability to build a team.
And this.

Pridie was supposed to make Minnys opening day roster as outfield backup but they are stocked so he was put on waivers its a good deal. also on verge of getting takahashi, lefty bullpen arm to compliment feliciano. its rounding out. im starting to think that blanco should be our catcher. i like santos, but his mediocre offense does not justify his poor defense, and we need our 2-5 pitchers to be as comftorable as possible.

Takahashi is not a bullpen option

Kevin Burkhart told SNY that he is a tom glavine type of pitcher. He will either win the 5th spot in spring training or will be optioned to AAA.

Mets blog had it up today.

Back
Top Bottom