[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

Considering most teams don't have a great 1-5 to begin with, how does Santana, Pelfrey, Ollie, Maine, and Livan not "enough"?

That's good enough, the key is getting Pelfrey back healthy, if he's effective as he was last year the Mets will contend for a playoff spot.

They already lost like four 1 run games already despite all the mental mistakes, its far too early to judge.

If I see these issues continuing into June then I would be concerned, and even then teams get into hot streaks late into the season nowadays (its the norm),baseball is too unpredictable.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Be honest Mez, how confident are you in this rotation? Because I have very little confidence. I think the biggest mistake we could do would be not going after a quasi big name pitcher at the deadline. I donn't mean a Doc Halladay, but somebody that can consistently get the job done.
Florida+Marlins+v+New+York+Mets+8Cow0hHQGKll.jpg

happy.gif

As far as this game tonight, I understand what Ronnie was saying about leaving Maine in so that you can show confidence in him. But not pinch-hitting for Maineleading off the 6th (I think it was the 6th) when we're down 5-1 was curious. Maine stayed in and ended up loading the bases in the next frame.
smh.gif

Sure, the Mets got out of that jam.... But Jerry managed that situation as if we were down 15 in the 9th inning. Leaving your starter in to bat when he'sstruggling on the mound of a 4 run game? Maine isn't a .300 hitter.

didnt catch most of the game cause of Rangers hockey, seems like Maine had a setback.

if mets dont make a trade for a top of the line starter they wont do much cause maine and ollie shaky.

I'm all for bringing Pedro back. Just his presence in the clubhouse changes this team. The chemistry right now is just awful.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I'm all for bringing Pedro back. Just his presence in the clubhouse changes this team. The chemistry right now is just awful.

There is no chemistry. We are playing like it's Spring Training, no emotion whatsoever.

What did Pedro do for us last year?

When its all said and done this team is soft, very very soft. Nobody in the division, even the lowly Nats are intimidated by the Mets, they look forward toplaying them not only because of the NEW YORK on their chest, but because they know when you challenge them and the spotlight shines on them, they won'tdeliver. I don't even remember the last time a starter brushed back a hitter off the plate.

"I was looking at the ball running to home plate and when I looked at [Yadier] Molina, I was just right there," Beltran said. "If I slide right there, I probably could have got hurt and I just didn't react to that."

Beltran saw the ball go away, ran to home without even looking, thought he could just walk home but got exposed by Molina, and his ego won't let him admitto his mistakes.....softee move right there.
grin.gif

That's been the case the past few seasons, but with all that said if the Mets don't get solid pitching performances from Maine/Ollie then they are introuble. Its unfair to put Livan in this situation today. Another pitcher is needed by the deadline and all these"soft" issues wouldn't be a problem, but hope Pelf can come back from the injury and be effective.

We will learn a lot about the Mets after today despite a win/loss, when they play the Nats (who they need to sweepthey are pathetic), and the Marlins at home.

New Lineup (Wright demoted): 2006 lineup

Reyes
Murphy
Beltran
Delgado
Wright
Church
Castro
Castillo

Now all jerry needs to do is put Castillo 2nd, Church 6th, and Murphy 7th, and that will be out best lineup by far.

^ That would have made a difference THIS YEAR, but a long term 4 yr contract at 70+M is not worth it.

Lowe had a terrible 2nd start anyways, not like he's some sort of great pitcher. His sinker doesn't have that sharp sink like it used to.

Pelfrey will be straight I'm not worries about him, Mets have their 1 and 2, its after that worries me.

Today's Lineup:

Reyes, ss
Cora, 2b
Beltran, cf
Delgado, 1b
Wright, 3b
Sheffield, lf
Church, rf
Santos, c
Hernandez, rhp

Pujols is making Livan look like a Little League pitcher, he knows whats coming.

When the announcers even call the team soft, can you imagine how opposing players must feel?

puujols.....2 home runs...3-3......and i had the nerve to say he might slump for a week or 2....smh @ me.

he owns livan....who i didnt even realize was still pitching

I just hope this post doesn't turn into the Knicks post where it states Official Mets Post vol. WE SUCK!!!.

snuggle.jpg

The sad thing is besides the last two games, the Mets smoked the ball in the earlier parts of the game vs Lohse, just right at people. The Cards (who have hitwell with RISP so far, over .300) have found the holes.

Looks nothing like the AGGRESSIVE, hard nosed team we saw in Spring Training, same old flat uninspired charmin squad.

Nobody in the rotation 2-5 has done anything well so far, I pray to god Pelf can be healthy the rest of the year and be effective cause if not this team willfinish in 3rd-4th.

This has nothing to do with Jerry

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

^ But he always had the tools to be a great pitcher, he was a high draft choice for a reason. He was pretty much a prospect trying to figure things out, that was delayed due to the mismanagement on the Mets part (what else is new). He finally figured it out despite using only 2 pitches....shoot there have been many great pitchers who used only 2 pitches (4 seamer and cutter).

I'm not saying Pelf will be great but he is a guy that throws strikes and challenges guys, not many young pitchers do that nowadays. Once he's healthy we'll have a very good 1-2 and we just have to hope for the best with Maine and Ollie. I think Livan will be solid all year, 4ERA is very likely.

Baseball is a sport on pitching, we can complain about the lack of clutch hits from this team b/c that's nothing new for the past 3 years (although the 2nd half of last year they were GREAT), but if we get great starting pitching this team will be a force. Big IF though, but its only the start of week 3, who knows this team can get things going next month.

The exact reason my Atlanta Braves won 14 straight NL East titles. Until we get a core like Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz again, we'll bebottom-dwellers. The sad thing is, we only have one ring to show for all of that.

^^^^^^^
Yea....that is pretty sad that 14 years of playoffs....only 1 ring is given.

cads were on a roll.....they let em come back, but hopefully they dont blow it

if any of you dudes are interested my boy is selling met tix, heres the info

2 OR 4 SEATS TO EACH GAME

PROMENADE SEATING (SEC 530, ROW 15, SEAT 7 & 8 )

$60 EACH TIX
6/9 vs PHILLIES 7PM
6/19 vs RAYS 7PM
7/8 vs DODGERS 7PM
8/4 vs Cardinals 7pm

$40 EACH TIX
7/31 vs ARI 7PM
9/8 vs FLA 7PM

$30 EACH TIX
9/18 vs WAS 7PM
10/2 vs Astros 7PM

all legit, he just cant make it to these games. holla at me if anyone's interested .....

Of course the runs come in non pressure situations, A-Rod would love it here.

How much ya'll wanna bet the games over the weekend vs the Nats will all be nail biters.

Back
Top Bottom