NEW YORK METS 2010 SEASON POST: Collins named New Manager

Originally Posted by CDonWasHisName

So do people still want Millwood?

millwood is done... 0-8

I would rather take oswalt, Roy said he would Ok a trade to the mets but it seems unlikely that we can afford him.

Houston wants a team to take on a majority of Oswalts remaining contract which = cheap asking price for prospects, but Mets will not add payroll so that won't happen.

Lee will be 32.

[h2]Buzz: M’s & Mets talk Lee, Seattle likes Jon Niese[/h2]
June 15, 2010 at 9:11 am · 200 comments

by Matthew Cerrone

4702604511_fd91c632ff_m.jpg
…from what i can gather, the
Mets and Mariners have talked quite a lot about LHP Cliff Lee, however the M’s continue to press for Jon Niese, who the Mets have little interest in trading… in fact, i’ve heard from people who know the M’s, and from people within the Mets, all of whom say Omar Minaya has the necessary prospects to get lee, but so far seattle is insisting on niese and minaya will not budge… and, i can’t blame him…

…the thing is, i hear the Mets intend to talk with lee in the off season, knowing full well he’ll start negotiations by asking for at least a five-year deal… however, there are no guarantees, and i would hate to see the Mets trade niese, then lose lee in free agency… and so if i’m the GM, niese is not an option…

…that said, obviously, the idea of Johan Santana, the 2010 Mike Pelfrey and lee is rather tempting

In a post about Lee and Astros RHP Roy Oswalt, Jon Heyman of SI.com explains:
“Lee’s value is pretty well set, having been traded twice in the past 12 months.  In July 2009, the Indians dealt him to the Phillies for four solid-to-good good prospects and last December the Phils sent him to Seattle for three prospects of similar ilk.

I'm not trading for Lee if they want Shniese. Oswalt is such a more logical choice when you think about it. He's going to make the same money that Lee will demand in the off-season, and you're guaranteed to have him for two more seasons where he will be productive, and by the time his contract expires Matt Harvey should be ready to make an impact. It's such a no brainer to go for Roy.

I don't know if I've ever seen so many infield hits for the Mets. Johan struggled early but settled down and is keeping us in it.

NL RUNS BATTED IN
[table][tr][td]  
David 
Wright
[/td][td]1. David Wright, NYM[/td][td]50[/td][/tr][tr][td]2. Troy Glaus, ATL[/td][td]49[/td][/tr][tr][td]3. Albert Pujols, STL[/td][td]49[/td][/tr][tr][td]4. Jonny Gomes, CIN[/td][td]47[/td][/tr][tr][td]5. Corey Hart, MIL[/td][td]47[/td][/tr][tr][td]Complete Leaders

[/td][/tr][/table]

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 It's good to see Wright back on top like old times.

MJKIDD is right. Ike Davis is a problem right now. I didn't realize that he's 6"4. That explains why he looks so thin on the television.

The rest of this interleague play is gonna tell us a lot. We've been playing really well but it's also been against some pretty bad teams. Keep winning these series over the next two weeks and things will set up real nice until the All-Star break. I'm actually kind of glad that it'll probably just be Pelf in the All-Star game, let everyone relax and regroup.

Funny how the team is playing better without Castillo, Matthews, Ollie & Maine. It's good that we weren't paying Matthews much but that's a lot of salary between those 4 dudes.

Tak is most likely going back to the pen, I think his role there makes us stronger. Maine will most likely get another shot as our # 5 starter, but he will def be on a short leash.

I hope we can get a starter by the deadline, Mets could always get Lee as a FA without giving the future up.
pimp.gif

If we could get Lee without giving up anything too major, that'd be great. Last thing I read was the Mariners would want Niese? !%@$ that. If it's other guys who are just prospects at this point, I'm okay with it because it's seems like more often than not, those prospects don't amount to much anyway. If there was any way we could sign Lee, if the Wilpons would even open the checkbook, then it'd be worth it.

I really hope we wont give up any promising prospects just to rent lee for a few months. Getting Lee will not guarantee us a playoff spot anyway, and I feel confident in what we have right now. However, I wouldn't mind getting a back end of a rotation guy that will not cost us much (Millwood, even though he had struggled, or someone like Westbrook). We should consider Lee at the end of the season to try to sign him to a 3 year deal instead which makes more sense.
Santana-Pelf-Neise-(millwood/westbrook or whoever)-Dickey not bad...but ofcourse I'm rooting for Maine to come back and prove his spot in the rotation though.

btw, another great win today come from behind!
pimp.gif
 Our offense is looking good and Ike Davis is seriousssss
pimp.gif

Also, still waiting for Jason Bay to just get on a long hot streak and look like the player that we thought we would see (offensively) but we are 7 games over 500 nonetheless so hopefully when Bay heats up he will keep us on this good run.

One more thing... as I posted before, K-Rod is making things way too exciting out there I am starting to lose confidence every time he is out there to close out games  
grin.gif

Right now J Bay can stay cold cause right now the Franchise is playing stupid right now. But when he does get hot he is gonna carry us for a month hopefully in Aug or Sept.

I never thought I would say don't trade Niese for anything

IDK if Maine will be effective because he doesn;t throw that fastball 94 anymore he hits 89, and with that flat slider of his he doesn't have another go to pitch. Everyone else has learned the cutter, Maine needs to try something different otherwise he will be out of the rotation just as quickly as he returned to it.

[h2]Buzz: Cliff Lee Trade Rumors[/h2]
June 16, 2010 at 10:40 am · 43 comments

by Matthew Cerrone

4702604511_fd91c632ff_m.jpg
In the Star-Tribune, LaVelle E. Neal says the Twins are looking to acquire a big, workload ace,’ and, as such, they might be willing to trade top C prospect Wilson Ramos in a deal to get LHP Cliff Lee from the Mariners.

Neal points out that Lee, who will be a Type A Free Agent this winter, could return the M’s two compensatory draft picks in the event they do not trade him.

“Lee is worth one high-quality prospect and a few fillers,

Real talk, Maine should just learn how to throw a knuckleball because that's the only way he'll ever have chance to be a decent Major League starter. I think he could be effective in the bullpen, however, in a middle relief role.

i like this winning streak. sweep cleveland and go into the Yankees series looking strong and ill be happy.

after tomorrow night, my main sports focus will be the Mets for the rest of the season so i'm looking forward to that.

Back
Top Bottom