New York Yankees Official Thread - vs Mets; 60-42 - Let’s Make a Deal

Voit can’t be a Free Agent until 2025. And he’s 29 right now. He’s never getting a big deal. Or at least we shouldn’t give it to him.

and DJ is 32, obviously you re-sign him, but his re-signing doesn’t prevent anything.

as for starters. Should bring back Tanaka at a smaller AAV. Deivi looks great.
throw them with Cole thats 3.
Then you have Sevy, German and Paxton take 2 of 3
Would German be back for domestic violence by playoff time ?
paxton and sevy are done this yr
deivi i am a fannnnn short guy has heat deff living up to the top 5 player in the yanks farm system

So listening to Kay talk about JD Martinez's approach to FA and not opting out got me thinking.

Happ's off the books (won't hit 62IP and won't get 10 starts), that's $17mil)
Gardner has $2.5mil buyout (of $10mil if not bought out)
Paxton $12.5mil
Tanaka $23mil
DJ $12mil
Ellsbury only paying $5mil compared to $21mil this year

A total of $88mil off the books

I think DJ and Tanaka are must re-signs. Yes Tanaka over Paxton. But could do both if Paxton's salary is reasonable.

I think every contract will be smaller compared to normal, due to COVID. I.e. I think in normal times DJ would get what JD Martinez got 5 year / $110mil normally. But with COVID, he's probably around 5 year / $80-90mil. Easy re-sign. So DJ is basically replacing Happ's salary. (Would be 3rd highest value 2B salary behind Cano's and Pedroia's who signed an 8 year at age 30)

Tanaka I'd say would be 4 year / $75mil normally, I'd probably go 5year / $75mil. And saves you $8mil on Tanaka's AAV.

Cole - Sevy - Tanaka - Garcia - German
Loaisiga - Green - Holder - Kahnle - Otto - Britton - Chapman
Sanchez - Higgy
Voit - DJ - Torres - Gio
Fraizer - Tauchman - Hicks -Judge
Stanton

With Just Tanaka and DJ re-signed at that rate, leaves $55mil under what we were paying this year.

Leaves room for 1 pitcher (I'd honestly just trade Andujar, Ford and minor leaguers for okay 2 / really strong 3.
And 2 spots for Position Players (And you know where I'd go to bolster the IF depth)

GARY!!!

C9ED42FA-8C52-4F7B-B199-64EC69C74EBF.jpeg

Gary providing the yanks offense when they need it? Huh, who would of thought?

Loaisiga to close out the game and not britton... i already know the turn out :smh:

also sanchez sucks at catching bad pitches

That stance they have him in to receive, does him no favors either. Dont know why they coached him to do that.

Even as Gary has had a horrible season, among catchers:

2nd in HRs (one behind JT)
4th in RBIs (6 behind the lead)
T-7th in Runs (7 behind to be in Top 3)
T-8th in BB (5 behind to get in Top 3)
T-19th in 2B (4 behind to get in Top 3)

He’s 19th in Hits (basically would need to double his hit total to be in top 3)

Gary can have a horrific season and still isn’t far off the pace of top tier offensive catchers.

Last 6 games, he’s hitting .273 with .996 OPS. Just needs to keep whatever adjustments he’s made this past week going.

Last edited:
And he's starting to hit with a full lineup behind/around him. He was getting the majority of the blame during their skid, but the team as a whole wasn't performing.

Back
Top Bottom