New York Yankees Official Thread - vs Mets; 60-42 - Let’s Make a Deal

And don’t throw out analytics with IVY schools considering Cash came in pre-analytics.

I don’t think anyone is saying that though :lol:. What we’re saying is, is you (Cash/front office) when signing/acquiring players, is to track the trends of players and how they project. I do not believe they’ve done a very good job at that for a while now, and have basically band-aided things.

We have consistently had trouble developing guys at the lower levels post late 90s/Core Four Yankees and that is an organizational thing. That has to be reworked from the top on down.
That's what FA needs to be tbh, a band-aid. Sure every once in a while you'll make a splash with a Cole or a CC or something like that, but you're just not going to get a good roster if you're living in FA. It's older players making a ton of money. That goes back to the lack of developing players though.

And don’t throw out analytics with IVY schools considering Cash came in pre-analytics.
I don't care about the Ivy part, it's more about having a guy that's smart as **** and is savvy in running a business. Those guys just typically go high end schools.

That's what FA needs to be tbh, a band-aid. Sure every once in a while you'll make a splash with a Cole or a CC or something like that, but you're just not going to get a good roster if you're living in FA. It's older players making a ton of money. That goes back to the lack of developing players though.
In certain spots? Sure. But Bader, Stanton, Montas, Rodon, Hicks at the time, we’re looked at as more than a band-aid.
Do you prefer your Dr having gone to Yale or the local JUCO?

I don't care about the Ivy part, it's more about having a guy that's smart as **** and is savvy in running a business. Those guys just typically go high end schools.
Cashman went to the Catholic University of America and was hired into the organization because his dad was friends with George.

In certain spots? Sure. But Bader, Stanton, Montas, Rodon, Hicks at the time, we’re looked at as more than a band-aid.
I think Rodon the only FA on that list.

Cashman went to the Catholic University of America and was hired into the organization because his dad was friends with George.
Yea, 30 years ago. That doesn't really happen much these days. They aren't all Ivy league guys but GM's are a generally pretty damn smart guys.

Traders are also looked at through projections/trends/etc. with not much team control after acquiring them. That is a band-aid.
I don't disagree but we were specifically discussing FA. But I don't think any of those guy listed were rentals. They all had at least or year or more left on their deal when they traded for them.

My biggest concern is the amount of guys we sign/trade for that play worse for us. I don't think it's a "Well he can't handle NY!" That's ********. It's deeper. Idk if we have a bad clubhouse or if our staff/analytics dept is trying to get guys to do things they aren't good at (see Sonny Gray) but it really has become a theme. It's like we go get a good player and then try to fit them into our system instead of just getting a good player and letting them tell us what makes them good and supporting them. Like a lot of the deals on paper over the last 5 years have made sense to me. But then they don't work out bc the player doesn't perform as we expected them to. So in hindsight they look like bad moves but I really don't think they were at the time. It's like a college football team that recruits 5* players and then can't develop them. The kid labeled a bust but it was really on the system he was in more than him. The coach recruited and signed the right kid, just couldn't develop them. I feel like the development is our biggest issue right now. But at the end of the day Cashman is responsible for whatever the **** is going on so it's on him to get it right and he hasn't.

We shouldn’t have to let the players tell us what works for them. Their play before coming here is supposed to do that. It’s up to our player personnel/development to see that though.

We shouldn’t have to let the players tell us what works for them. Their play before coming here is supposed to do that. It’s up to our player personnel/development to see that though.
There's things about players that you can't know from watching them play. You can't know their mindset and what they are looking for and why they did this and that. "I noticed this so threw that" type stuff. But yea agree it's on development staff. The biggest difference is how we handled Gray, got him away from his fastball and throwing more off speed stuff, and how the Astros handles Cole, got him to dump the sinker and go 4 seam. It completely changed both pitchers, one good and one bad. Grey was good before he got her, stunk here, now is really good again. Weird how that works.

Yankees getting rid of Boone and Cashman after giving them new contracts is hilarious. The fans wanted them gone and Hal was lazy and said let’s run it back with the same team and expect more. ****in clowns.

Coney said something tho, he all but guaranteed that “Severino will be successful again, whether that’s with the Yankees, probably not”.

We gonna have our first losing season since 1992 huh? 30 years man smh. 2nd longest streak all time.

Back
Top Bottom