New York Yankees Official Thread - vs Mets; 60-42 - Let’s Make a Deal

Honestly, the only way Torres ends up at 2nd is if they go out and trade for a better SS. because they can't resign DJ.

Give it up on Didi. Sheesh.

And Cashman didn't say "Gleyber may not be the SS". He said he's currently the SS and best option but they'll evaluate all options. He says that about all positions every year. Nothing about his words says he's going to 2b. If they can get DJ back, he stays at SS. If they can't, maybe he goes to 2b if the best FA option is a SS.

If you prefer I say hinted as opposed to he said. We can split the semantics of it.

He doesn’t say it about every position every year.
He normally will make clear statements and leaves windows open, only if they’re legitimately considering internally.

Samthing with Gary this year. He didn’t say Gary is the guy. Left the window open.

He’s currently our shortstop. Followed by we’ll look into the options isn’t a ringing endorsement. Typically Cashman will say, he’ll be the SS next year. Not he is right now, but we need to see what else is there.

Sure, they may re-sign DJ. DJ’s market may be really soft money wise. Then it’s moot and Gleyber has to stay at SS

But nothing in that Cashman clip makes it seem they are particularly comfortable with Gleyber at SS.

Again, the Didi signing is if Gleyber goes to 2B because DJ isn’t around due to a money crunch. (My original idea for Didi was to platoon everyone, it does work game wise. But won’t when there’s nothing said that makes it seem like Giancarlo gets many, if any games in the field m and doesn’t work if they’re not major players in FA either)
Because there’s no options within the Yankees that you’d want to see every day. They could go for Iglesias like Talkin Yanks suggest. But above that is Andrelton, Semien or Didi in FA. That’s your pick, and something tells me at similar AAVs they go with what they know. If they went Semien or Andrelton, I’d be fine with that.

Because trade wise getting a SS you like isn’t the smartest idea either. You probably trade Clint or Monty or someone else, you want to keep. That option is not really worth it.

Also with the money issue, like pointed out by Talkin Yanks, and what they’ve heard is that the Yankees will cut payroll. And there’s no Gerrit Cole out there that will make them have to spend.
Could they end up above luxury tax because based on who they already have on the books, it’s impossible to stay under (sure that’s the likely)
But the fact that there’s a good amount of smoke around Yankees not keeping DJ, COULD be due to Gleyber back at 2B. And nothing Cash said yesterday is a great outlook.

Last edited:
If you prefer I say hinted as opposed to he said. We can split the semantics of it.

He doesn’t say it about every position every year.
He normally will make clear statements and leaves windows open, only if they’re legitimately considering internally.

Samthing with Gary this year. He didn’t say Gary is the guy. Left the window open.

He’s currently our shortstop. Followed by we’ll look into the options isn’t a ringing endorsement. Typically Cashman will say, he’ll be the SS next year. Not he is right now, but we need to see what else is there.

Sure, they may re-sign DJ. DJ’s market may be really soft money wise. Then it’s moot and Gleyber has to stay at SS

But nothing in that Cashman clip makes it seem they are particularly comfortable with Gleyber at SS.

Again, the Didi signing is if Gleyber goes to 2B because DJ isn’t around due to a money crunch. (My original idea for Didi was to platoon everyone, it does work game wise. But won’t when there’s nothing said that makes it seem like Giancarlo gets many, if any games in the field m and doesn’t work if they’re not major players in FA either)
Because there’s no options within the Yankees that you’d want to see every day. They could go for Iglesias like Talkin Yanks suggest. But above that is Andrelton, Semien or Didi in FA. That’s your pick, and something tells me at similar AAVs they go with what they know. If they went Semien or Andrelton, I’d be fine with that.

Because trade wise getting a SS you like isn’t the smartest idea either. You probably trade Clint or Monty or someone else, you want to keep. That option is not really worth it.

Also with the money issue, like pointed out by Talkin Yanks, and what they’ve heard is that the Yankees will cut payroll. And there’s no Gerrit Cole out there that will make them have to spend.
Could they end up above luxury tax because based on who they already have on the books, it’s impossible to stay under (sure that’s the likely)
But the fact that there’s a good amount of smoke around Yankees not keeping DJ, COULD be due to Gleyber back at 2B. And nothing Cash said yesterday is a great outlook.
You have such a hard on to sign Didi that you're taking sound bites and spinning them. Literally every year Cash says they'll look at all options to improve the club. He never takes anything off the table. You just have this Didi fantasy so you're making up platoon ideas and letting DJ walk ideas. The truth is the odds are very high that we go into next year with the same IF we had this year.

^ I agree that the most likely thing is that it’s the same IF in 2021.

And if he didn’t even half *** comment about Gleyber, then there wouldn’t be any thought of a new SS.

- of course he says we’ll look at all options to improve every year. BUT when you listen to him when he’s asked about specific players that’s when you get actual answers. If he’s asked about a guy and doesn’t give an unquestionable endorsement, then they have doubts. Cash has always been that way. I.e. doubts about Gleyber at SS, and doubts about if Gary is 2019 Gary or if COVID Gary is who he is.

But even without Cash’s sound bites. There isn’t a single article or tweet anywhere that says DJ coming back is absolutely going to happen, and that anybody trying to get in on him is wasting time.

And I’m not even saying they should let DJ walk for Didi. Never once have I said that. I wouldn’t even do that. If they let DJ walk, Gleyber most likely isn’t staying at SS.

Finally, This is really a pointless convo at this juncture

And if he didn’t even half *** comment about Gleyber, then there wouldn’t be any thought of a new SS.

- of course he says we’ll look at all options to improve every year. BUT when you listen to him when he’s asked about specific players that’s when you get actual answers. If he’s asked about a guy and doesn’t give an unquestionable endorsement, then they have doubts. Cash has always been that way. I.e. doubts about Gleyber at SS, and doubts about if Gary is 2019 Gary or if COVID Gary is who he is.

But even without Cash’s sound bites. There isn’t a single article or tweet anywhere that says DJ coming back is absolutely going to happen, and that anybody trying to get in on him is wasting time.

And I’m not even saying they should let DJ walk for Didi. Never once have I said that. I wouldn’t even do that. If they let DJ walk, Gleyber most likely isn’t staying at SS.

Don’t forget 2018 Gary.

Clint Fraizer a finalist for Gold Glove in RF. What a difference a year makes.
Gio also a finalist at 3B

i rather have gleyber at SS and DJ at 2nd... i dont care for didi but the ONLY reason i would bring him back is if you cant resign DJ and just being cheap in general and can somehow sign didi as a replacement for the low... i can see cash doing this because hes been cheap with contracts recently exception of trading for stanton and signing cole....

Of course there's no an article saying he's definitely coming back. He's a FA. It'll be like Cano. They'll make a very solid effort but if someone gets stupid with their offer, he's gone. If that happens, Gleyber's versatility gives us an option to go after a 2b or a SS. There's no reason for Cash to lock Gleyber in at SS. That limits what he can do.

Yankees declined Gardner’s $10mil option. $2.5mil buyout. Probably re-sign him 1year / $5mil (takes the total salary to $7.5mil)

Hope it’s $5mil total, but probably not.

Yea im not a huge fan of Gardner playing daily at this point in his career but I'll gladly take him as a 4th or 5th OF just for his oldhead leadership in the clubhouse. Lost a lot of that with CC.

Yea im not a huge fan of Gardner playing daily at this point in his career but I'll gladly take him as a 4th or 5th OF just for his oldhead leadership in the clubhouse. Lost a lot of that with CC.

Yeah if he’s the fill in and it’s Clint-Hicks-Judge, I’m with it.

Gotta assume Hicks or Judge hit the IL a time or two.

Really wish we had a Power Lefty bat but that’s not gonna happen this year, and nobody in the pipeline.

ya a lefty at bat woulda been nice... i can see why you want didi here... our pitching is the same way too many righties exception for monty

Based on Didi’s interviews. It won’t happen again.
I think they did him wrong in his eyes and he is hurt.

Which sucks because he had the most impossible task to replace Jeter and became a fan favorite, and they basically threw him aside. And actually seems to love NY.

Anywho this is what the roster is if no changes happen (THERE WILL BE CHANGES) (no idea on that final bullpen spot could be anybody)

Pitching
1- Cole
2- Sevey
3- German
4-Monty
5-Deivi

6-Green
7-Cessa
8-Loaisiga
9-Holder
10-Ottavino
11-Britton
12-Chapman
13-
*Kahnle out all 2021

14-Gary
15-Higashioka
16-Voit
17-Gleyber
18-Urshela
19-Andujar
20-Fraizer
21-Tauchman
22-Hicks
23-Judge
24-Stanton
25-Wade
26-Ford

Not impressed honestly. But as I said, there will be changes.

Rather have Morton than Tanaka if the Yankees wanted to be cheap. Get both and Brad Hand. Players aren’t getting huge contracts this year

I take Tanaka because of the age, you never know when that finally hits and goes from great to a waste fast.

But I think you may be able to get Morton and Tanaka for the cost of Happ and Paxton’s 2020 salaries combined. $29mil based on cost cutting measures by teams.
Still would be $23mil off the books in Tanaka’s salary.

Back
Top Bottom