Bring back DJ
Get a lefty bat
Get Darvish or Bauer
Top flight reliever

let Tanaka, Paxton, and Gardy walk.

I’m not big into Free Agency this year.

A reliever or two.
Keep Tanaka and DJ.

Go after Didi. I don’t want Thairo Estrada, Tyler Wade or Mike Ford anymore.... It’s useless roster spots being held by guys that don’t matter. Turns out we actually could have used Didi throughout the year too. And Andujar needs to be used for starting pitching because there’s no room for him at 1B/3B/LF/DH

Average MLB week has 6 games.
DJ starts at 2B. Gets a start a week at 1B and 3B.
Gleyber is the SS. But split SS duties w/ Didi
Gleyber gets 2 starts a week at 2B when DJ is at 1B or 3B
Didi gets 1 day a week at DH.
We're not paying Didi big money to be a 5th infielder. The regular season isn't the issue. We'll make the playoffs. Having a 5th infielder in the playoffs is pointless.

We're not paying Didi big money to be a 5th infielder. The regular season isn't the issue. We'll make the playoffs. Having a 5th infielder in the playoffs is pointless.

Considering he was the main source for our big hits in the playoffs for 3 years, probably worth it.

Also it’s a safe bet that he’ll be needed.

And you throw out the amount of money that will come off the books this year, it’s a solid investment.

Considering he was the main source for our big hits in the playoffs for 3 years, probably worth it.

Also it’s a safe bet that he’ll be needed.

And you throw out the amount of money that will come off the books this year, it’s a solid investment.
Disagree. Money would be better spent on someone that will actually play in the playoffs. We're not sitting Voit, DJ, Gleyber, or Gio in the playoffs. We could use another SP or a RP in the playoffs though. Bauer or Realmuto would be a massive improvement to the club and help way more than a 5th infielder. Of course they'll cost more but dumping $15m into a 5th infielder isn't a wise investment and that's why no team does it. Use that money toward them imo.

And fwiw Didi had a .741 postseason OPS for us. Let's not act like he was Stanton 2020 playoffs on the regular.

Not really imo. Clint and Gardner both had a good series. Voit, Judge, DJ, and Gio didn't show up. And we had 1 good SP.

Welcome to the thread!

Yes, really. Clint has been piss poor in the field and most don’t want Gardner back.

Stanton playing the field would give us much more flexibility

Welcome to the thread!

Yes, really. Clint has been piss poor in the field and most don’t want Gardner back.

Frazier was actually much better in the field this year. They said that’s one of the main things he worked on improving because he knew he struggled. But he was absolutely better in the field this year. Gleyber‘s glove has always been a question, even as a prospect.

Welcome to the thread!

If we're talking over the season, I agree. Stanton playing the field does give more flexibility. But Frazier was very solid in the field this year though. He wasn't bad at all.

If we're talking postseason, don't think it changed much. If Stanton payed the field, Frazier or Brett would have been the DH. And both had a good postseason. We didn't have a big bat that was forced to the bench bc Stanton was taking up DH.

With Brett, I'd like to see him back as a cheap 5th OF (Judge, Stanton, Hicks starting). Even this year he was a league avg with solid D. He provides a lot of veteran leadership too. I'll take that from a 5th OF all day. Depends on how much money he wants though. Hard to spend much more than league minimum on a 5th OF, but with Judge and Stanton's injury history, maybe we have to.

Nothing in my post was about the postseason - I’m done with that as I’ve said since Friday night.

I want Clint to be our everyday LF - no reason he can’t/shouldn’t be. He was still a negative dWar but improving. Stanton being able to play the field gives us uber flexibility, something we haven’t had for a minute.

If Gardy was just there as injury protection, I’d be fine with it. Considering Tauchman didn’t have a good season.

But we know how this goes, Gardner will slowly get preferential treatment and take someone’s spot.

Also with Stanton, he’s a decent at worst fielder. No reason he couldn’t play 1 game a week at RF and 1 game a week at LF. To open up the DH spot more for Gary and Didi if they brought Didi back.

Also of note - small sample size but Gleyber was not good in the field this season.

Wasn’t particularly good anywhere. Except the postseason. He’s also not really a SS despite that being his spot before he was traded to NY.

Another reason I want Didi back. To provide more options. If we can spend $10mil/year on Gardner, we could have and should do it for Didi.
Clubhouse guy, lefty, can handle NY even with insane pressure.

Can Didi get some reps in the outfield? Something like a super utility player? And someone brought up Florial awhile back that I keep forgetting about.

i dont see how didi would fit in the infield when all the positions are taken up... unless you pass on signing DJ this year and pickup didi for the low... as great as DJ i dont know if hes worth a huge contract... great hitter but in the playoffs hasnt really done much... i want them to resign DJ obviously but not to a huge contract...another option i can see is DJ going to third and didi at SS with gleyber at 2nd with Gio on the bench...i would focus on signing DJ and if it doesnt happen then use that money on didi

gleyber SS
dj 2nd
voit 1st
gio 3rd

Y'all need to give up on the idea of Didi coming back to be a 5th infielder. They aren't paying that kind of money for that spot and hes not taking a platoon role when he can be an everyday SS elsewhere.

agreed on the thread DJ is a must i was another that thought his high average was a result of the denver altitude but the guy can hit
we dont need to get rid of gary all we need is one more starter. montgomery and deivi seem to be the next guys in our rotation. german always got killed second time around the order and sevarino just cant stay healthy

i dont see how didi would fit in the infield when all the positions are taken up... unless you pass on signing DJ this year and pickup didi for the low... as great as DJ i dont know if hes worth a huge contract... great hitter but in the playoffs hasnt really done much... i want them to resign DJ obviously but not to a huge contract...another option i can see is DJ going to third and didi at SS with gleyber at 2nd with Gio on the bench...i would focus on signing DJ and if it doesnt happen then use that money on didi

gleyber SS
dj 2nd
voit 1st
gio 3rd

I know they won’t sign Didi.

But isn’t that difficult to play 5 guys for 4 spots.

4 spots for 5 guys would average out to 130 games, if you went equal play time.

But a more equitable breakfown ould be something like this;
1B - Voit (130) / DJ (32)
2B - DJ (82) / Torres (80)
3B - Gio (130) / DJ (32)
SS - Gleyber (60) / Didi (102)
DH - Didi (30) and Voit/Torres/Gio get a handful of DH games

That’s without injuries.

Voit / Didi / Gio play their primary positions.
DJ gets to use his versatility.
Gleyber gets to play both positions.

The main reason is about the drop off on the bench in the middle infield when you need it and you’re looking at probably 200-300 PAs in a normal season.

Again I know it won’t happen. But if Didi is with it, it’s smart business.

Last edited:
Its not smart business. That's why nobody does it. Sure we may win a couple more regular season games but that's not the goal. Every decision should be made on winning postseason series.

Back
Top Bottom