New York Yankees Official Thread - vs Mets; 60-42 - Let’s Make a Deal

Joel Sherman said in order to re-sign DJ... We should trade Voit or Gleyber. How is that helpful?

:rofl: Terrible opinion is worse than terrible.

Gleyber and Voit are both super cheap. Trading them doesn't even clear money for DJ. That makes no sense. Link to him saying it?

Firstly I don't agree but it's not about money. Torres best position is 2nd base which is DJ position then you could get a ss to sure up the infield defense. DJ seems to be able to play second or first well, that's why you would even think about trading either one.

Firstly I don't agree but it's not about money. Torres best position is 2nd base which is DJ position then you could get a ss to sure up the infield defense. DJ seems to be able to play second or first well, that's why you would even think about trading either one.
Gleyber graded out better at SS than 2b. Not great at either but still. They aren't trading Gleyber. Let's move on.

Ellsbury is officially off the Books this year. Let Happ Paxton, Gardy and Gary walk and find a taker for Ottavino and that should be a decent amount off the books to resign Dj and get close to luxury cap threshold.

Because of injury you could prob get Paxton back cheap on a prove it deal. Pitching depth is nice in case something happens.

Keep Gary for what he just got paid. I don’t see it getting ridiculous at all in terms of salary.

So the talk (NYPost) is Tanaka can get anywhere between $12mil/year and someone who thinks he’ll get $25mil/year according to different executives. That high number is laughable. I think he’ll be around $16mil/year. Which saves us $6mil.

I’d prefer to avoid Bauer. He’s going to get paid CyYoung pitcher money for the year he just had.

I think between Andujar, Ford, Monty and some prospects (not Deivi or The Martian), we could get a really good # 2.

Cole/ Trade for a 2/ Sevy / Tanaka / German
and Ease Deivi in, and we’re where we need to be.

Paxton/Happ/Tanaka/Ellsbury savings is $56mil

Because of injury you could prob get Paxton back cheap on a prove it deal. Pitching depth is nice in case something happens.

I don’t think the injury matters in this case. A mid market team who wants a front end starter but doesn’t want to pay the # 1 starter money can sneak in and get him.

The intriguing part on Bauer is he's said he only wants 1 year deals. Makes it a lot easier to give him $25m or whatever when there's no limg term risk.

The intriguing part on Bauer is he's said he only wants 1 year deals. Makes it a lot easier to give him $25m or whatever when there's no limg term risk.

Unless a team offers him that deal over a number of years. I doubt he doesn’t take it.

Tanaka staying confirmed. :lol:

3CC28134-2E90-40C8-B898-F0373D3F4AFC.jpeg

Marcus Stroman (@STR0) Tweeted:
@Jared_Carrabis @alex_gorell Besides Cole, there’s no current Yankee pitcher who will be anywhere in my league over the next 5-7 years. Their pitching always folds in the end. That lineup and payroll should be winning World Series’ left and right...yet they’re in a drought. Lol 🤷🏾‍♂️

I’m starting to think they won’t re-sign DJ. Just based on Cashman coming out today and saying, Gleyber might not be the everyday SS.

I think that was basically a “Gleyber is going back to second”

Or a “we’re trading Gleyber” but to me that’s nonsense.

Gleyber is set to make between $2.5-3.5mil in arbitration. If Hal is looking to save money, you don’t trade that guy, with that talent at that money to pay a 32 year old (albeit a Hitting Machine) $20mil

I think they balk on DJ if he’s $20mil or over. And there’s fair reason to. 2021 2nd baseman salary rankings 1. Altuve at $29mil. 2. Cano at $24mil. 3. Segura and Moustakas and Dee Gordon at $14mil. $20mil for a 2B regardless of versatility just doesn’t happen unless he’s a franchise guy.
DJ is worth $20mil, but balance sheet wise should we? I think that answer is yes and no.

I don’t think Yankees in good conscience have any in-house options at SS. So it begs the question.... Who do they go after? They can go Iglesias like Talkin Yanks said is the cheap option. But he probably gets $6-8mil.

Or Do the Yankees pivot and go to what they know and give Didi a long term deal at around DJ’s current money $12-15mil.

Further note: Ran the 40-man, Yankees have $15-20mil to fill a Starting Pitching Spot, Middle Infielder and probably a bullpen arm to get under the luxury tax.

Last edited:
From everything that’s been reported, they’re not intending to remain under the luxury tax from here on out. They wanted to get under it so they may reset it and not be hit with the high repeaters rate that increased year after year. So they have more than that 15-20 mil to work with.

I’m reading between the lines of what he’s saying about losing money in 2020 for saying they will try to get under the luxury tax.

I’m starting to think they won’t re-sign DJ. Just based on Cashman coming out today and saying, Gleyber might not be the everyday SS.

I think that was basically a “Gleyber is going back to second”

Or a “we’re trading Gleyber” but to me that’s nonsense.

Gleyber is set to make between $2.5-3.5mil in arbitration. If Hal is looking to save money, you don’t trade that guy, with that talent at that money to pay a 32 year old (albeit a Hitting Machine) $20mil

I think they balk on DJ if he’s $20mil or over. And there’s fair reason to. 2021 2nd baseman salary rankings 1. Altuve at $29mil. 2. Cano at $24mil. 3. Segura and Moustakas and Dee Gordon at $14mil. $20mil for a 2B regardless of versatility just doesn’t happen unless he’s a franchise guy.
DJ is worth $20mil, but balance sheet wise should we? I think that answer is yes and no.

I don’t think Yankees in good conscience have any in-house options at SS. So it begs the question.... Who do they go after? They can go Iglesias like Talkin Yanks said is the cheap option. But he probably gets $6-8mil.

Or Do the Yankees pivot and go to what they know and give Didi a long term deal at around DJ’s current money $12-15mil.

Further note: Ran the 40-man, Yankees have $15-20mil to fill a Starting Pitching Spot, Middle Infielder and probably a bullpen arm to get under the luxury tax.
Give it up on Didi. Sheesh.

And Cashman didn't say "Gleyber may not be the SS". He said he's currently the SS and best option but they'll evaluate all options. He says that about all positions every year. Nothing about his words says he's going to 2b. If they can get DJ back, he stays at SS. If they can't, maybe he goes to 2b if the best FA option is a SS.

Back
Top Bottom