New York YANKEES spring training thread......... 2 days until season starts: LETS GO YANKEES!

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

Originally Posted by onewearz

i agree to not signing lowe, but if the right player comes up in a deal for hughes ( adrien gonzalez , matt cane, aaron rowand , david dejesus ) , you might
just have to deal him. hughes right now is a serious roll of the dice. if he can't do it against major league hitting we're stuck with him. i like
hughes though so hopefully it works out and he becomes the pitcher the yanks projected him to be ...........
Ehhh...I wouldn't for those guys.

Cane is legit, but Hughes has more upside than him, IMO.

His stock has dropped...but I would rather keep him if those are the type of players we can get for him.

gonzalez is a solid ballplayer, and i've heard a rumor about a deal with the giants cano, hughes for cane and rowand. it's all rumors right now, maybethe yanks leak these rumors to light a fire under these guys, it's not unrealistic. look at the way hughes pitched last night ..........

Well It's finally official

[h1][/h1]
[h1]MLB owners approve shift of control of Yanks from George to Hal Steinbrenner[/h1]
Associated Press

Updated: November 20, 2008, 12:52 PM ET

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball owners approved the shift of control of the New York Yankees from George Steinbrenner to his son, Hal, on Thursday.

Hal Steinbrenner and his brother, Hank, took over most of the daily operation of the Yankees from their father last fall. George Steinbrenner bought the Yankees in 1973 and became one of the most high-profile owners in all of sports, polarizing fans across the country with his bluster and deep pockets.

"My dad, needless to say, is a tough act to follow," Hal Steinbrenner said.

At 78, George Steinbrenner has been in fragile health, resulting in fewer public appearances and pronouncements. He delivered the balls for the ceremonial first pitches from a golf cart at July's All-Star game at Yankee Stadium, but stayed home in Florida to watch the park's final game on television.

The Yankees have won six World Series titles during his reign.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Thanks for everything Boss
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

greatest owner in all of sports. when someone refers to " the boss " you know it's steinbrenner
pimp.gif

hopefully his kids can run this team with the same fire and charisma that their dad did......

steinbrenner.jpg

001306027.jpg

2qsp7va.jpg

On Mussina as a person....
Young men with lots of money tend to wear expensive clothing. That is not to say it's always tasteful, however.

For just about all of the Yankees, especially the younger ones, the t-shirt of choice is made by the designer Christian Audigier. These run for around $175. You read that right, $175.

Mike Mussina found this endlessly hilarious.

As teammates would come into the clubhouse, Mussina would invariably roll his eyes when somebody walked by wearing one of the gaudy designer t-shirts. "I wouldn't sleep in that," he said one day, pointing at the shirt one rookie was wearing. "I'm serious."

The Moose gets his t-shirts on line and they cost $20. One day he would come in wearing a Sanford and Son shirt, the next day would be The A-Team. He wasn't out to impress anybody.

I think that's why he retired. He wasn't out to impress anybody. Perhaps you or I would be motivated by the idea of winning 300 games or making another $10 million or winning a championship. But Mussina was more interested in spending time with his wife and sons. Brycen is 9 and Peyton is 4 and he wants to watch them grow up. They're at that age now where having their dad around all the time means something.

A lot of ballplayers say how much their families mean to them and to some extent it's probably true. But living the life and making some bank usually wins out. By walking away while still healthy and still able to pitch at a high level, Mussina shows that he really means it.

The Yankees will say the right things about him, but Mussina will not be missed by many in the clubhouse. For years, his closest friend on the team was bullpen catcher Mike Borzello. The Moose liked to read, work on crossword puzzles and search on line for old cars to purchase and fix up. If the Yankees had a day off, he immediately went home to Pennsylvania. In the eight years he spent with the Yankees, he probably went into Manhattan 10 times. He had a house in Westchester and he knew how to get to Yankee Stadium. That's all he really cared to know. He liked his privacy.

A few people have e-mailed asking if Mussina will become a coach or a broadcaster. Forget it; he will be a ghost as far as baseball is concerned. Mussina is not somebody who wants to sit around talking about the old days or trying to teach some kid (in a $175 t-shirt) how to throw a curveball.

He did not suffer fools well, especially reporters who asked silly questions. ("What do you want now?" he would say at first before smiling) But if you had a story to write and you needed some perspective, nobody was better to talk to. He also was one of the few Yankees you could engage in a conversation about something other than baseball. For those of us who write about the team, it's a loss. Not having the Moose and The Big G around will cut down on the laughs.

Back in 2002 or 2003, I was assigned to cover a game Mussina pitched in. He took the loss and when reporters gathered around his locker afterward, nobody was sure what to ask for a few seconds. Mussina looked over the crowd and simply said, "Bueller? Bueller?"

If you get that, you get the Moose.
Here's hoping that in five or six years, Mussina gets inducted in the Hall of Fame. Now that would be a good speech.
Mussina retires....

This release from the Yankees:

Five-time All-Star Mike Mussina today announced his retirement from Baseball. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Mussina becomes the first pitcher to retire immediately following a 20-win season since Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax exited the game following his 27-9 campaign in 1966.

Mussina, 39, was a member of the Yankees pitching staff from 2001-08, compiling a record of 123-72 with a 3.88 ERA. Since signing with the Yankees as a free agent prior to the 2001 season, no other American League pitcher recorded more wins than Mussina. He struck out 1,278 batters in pinstripes, ranking sixth on the club's all-time list. His 72 wins at Yankee Stadium were the third-most since 1976 when the facility was remodeled, behind Ron Guidry (99) and Andy Pettitte (95).

With a 123-72 record, he finished 51 games over .500 with the Yankees while going 66 games over .500 with Baltimore (147-81). According to Elias, he joins Randy Johnson as the only pitchers since 1900 to own a career record of at least 50 games over .500 with two different teams (Johnson was 130-74 with Seattle, 56 games over, and 118-62 with Arizona, 56 games over).

Mussina reached the 20-win plateau for the first time in his career in 2008, going 20-9 with a 3.37 ERA in 34 starts for the Yankees. At age 39, he became the oldest pitcher in Baseball history to record 20 wins in a season for the first time in his career, passing Jamie Moyer (20 wins in 2001 at age 38). He also became the Yankees' first 20-game winner with an ERA lower than 3.40 since Ron Guidry went 22-6 with a 3.27 ERA in 1985.

In addition, Mussina earned his seventh career Rawlings Gold Glove Award in 2008 (also 1996-99, 2001 and 2003).

Mussina pitched 18 years in the Majors from 1991-2008, making 536 combined starts (537 appearances) with the New York Yankees and Baltimore Orioles and posting a 270-153 record with a 3.68 ERA and 2,813 strikeouts. Only three pitchers recorded more wins than Mussina during his time in the Major Leagues. He reached 15 wins in a season 11 times, including a career-high 20 victories in 2008, and placed in the top five in Cy Young Award voting six times in his career.

Pitching his entire career in the American League East Division, Mussina finished tied with Hall of Famer Burleigh Grimes for 32nd place on Baseball's all-time wins list after surpassing Jack Morris (254), Jim McCormick (265), Gus Weyhing (265), as well as Hall of Famers Bob Gibson (251), Carl Hubbell (253), Red Faber (254), Ted Lyons (260), Bob Feller (266), Eppa Rixey (266) and Jim Palmer (268) in the 2008 season.

Mussina's .638 career winning percentage is sixth-best all-time among Major Leaguers with at least 500 career starts and ranked second among active pitchers (Randy Johnson-.648), according to the Elias Sports Bureau. His 2,813 strikeouts rank 19th on Baseball's all-time list.

A native of Montoursville, Pa., Mussina retired as one of just 18 pitchers in Major League history to own a career record of at least 115 games over .500 (270-153). According to the Elias Sports Bureau, twelve of those pitchers are currently in the Hall of Fame, five are not eligible yet (Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez and Mussina) and one only pitched in nine seasons (Bob Caruthers).

He is the only American League pitcher to record 17 consecutive seasons of 10-or-more wins (1992-2008) and only Walter Johnson (18) has more total seasons of double-digits wins than Mussina all-time among AL hurlers. According to Elias, only five other Major League pitchers have compiled a stretch of 17 straight seasons with at least 10 wins - Greg Maddux (20 yrs., 1988-2007), Cy Young (19, 1891-1909), Steve Carlton (18, 1967-84), Don Sutton (17, 1966-82) and Warren Spahn (17, 1947-63). Also according to Elias, Mussina is the only pitcher in AL history to make at least 24 starts in 17 consecutive seasons (1992-2008).

A master of control, Mussina walked only 785 batters in 3,562.2 career innings, averaging 1.98 walks/9.0IP. According to Elias, he is one of just three pitchers in AL history to toss at least 3,000.0 innings while holding opponents to fewer than
2.0 walks/9.0IP, joining Jack Quinn (1.96) and Cy Young (1.11).

Though he never won a World Series title, Mussina pitched in 23 playoff games (21 starts), going 7-8 with a 3.42 ERA. He twice appeared in the Fall Classic-both with the Yankees-in 2001 vs. Arizona and 2003 vs. Florida.

Originally drafted by Baltimore in the first round (20th overall) of the 1990 First-Year Player Draft, Mussina ranks second all-time among Orioles' pitchers in strikeouts (1,535) and winning percentage (.645, 147-81), third in wins (147), fifth in games started (288) and sixth in innings pitched (2,009.2). His 218 strikeouts in 1997 established a new club record that was later broken by Erik Bedard in 2007 (221).

Jeter on Mussina....

Via the Yankees:

"It was a great pleasure playing against - and even more so with - Mike Mussina since I entered the league in 1995. He was a true professional both on and off the field. Moose's accomplishments in the game over the last 18 years represent a Hall of Fame player."

i agree to not signing lowe, but if the right player comes up in a deal for hughes ( adrien gonzalez , matt cane, aaron rowand , david dejesus ) , you might just have to deal him. hughes right now is a serious roll of the dice. if he can't do it against major league hitting we're stuck with him. i like hughes though so hopefully it works out and he becomes the pitcher the yanks projected him to be ...........

Rowand? Below average hitter in all but 2 major league seasons. Yes he is a good fielder but so is Mike Cameron who would be cheaper and is probably a betterhitter. You dont trade Phil Hughes for Araron Rowand, not for 5 years 80 million.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Mussina mechanics are appreciated, he should become a pitching coach.
Agreed. I've always loved his mechanics and the way he pitches. Also he lands in perfect fielding position, I guess that'swhy he won the Gold Glove. Other pitchers should take notice.

Originally Posted by JoE TwEnTy1

i agree to not signing lowe, but if the right player comes up in a deal for hughes ( adrien gonzalez , matt cane, aaron rowand , david dejesus ) , you might
just have to deal him. hughes right now is a serious roll of the dice. if he can't do it against major league hitting we're stuck with him. i like
hughes though so hopefully it works out and he becomes the pitcher the yanks projected him to be ...........

Rowand? Below average hitter in all but 2 major league seasons. Yes he is a good fielder but so is Mike Cameron who would be cheaper and is probably a better hitter. You dont trade Phil Hughes for Araron Rowand, not for 5 years 80 million.

i'd want dejesus over cameron and rowand. the matt cane aaron rowand deal was just a rumor i heard. mike cameron strikes out wayyyyy to much . rowand wouldbe a better choice if it came down to those 2 imo, but dejesus would trump both of em if we could get him........

[h1]C.C. Sabathia Rumors: Thursday[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 20 at 8:15pm CST]

8:15pm: According toESPN.com, Hal Steinbrenner said Sabathia will have a deadline to accept his current offer. The Yankees made Sabathia a record-setting offer for a pitcher,but Steinbrenner said "it's not going to be there forever."

2:22pm: SI.com's Jon Heyman says the Dodgers,Giants, Red Sox, and Angels have checked in on Sabathia since the Yankees made their bid. All four clubs face various obstacles.

we still goin after cameron or dejesus?

gardner is not the answer, how about givin austin a chance?

I seen Ajax play a few times.. i don't think hes ready yet. Give him one more year and he should be ready.

[h1]Mark Teixeira Rumors: Friday[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 21 at 9:13am CST]

The latest on free agent slugger Mark Teixeira:
  • Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald says the Red Sox burn, lust for, and love Teixeira. Silverman says Tex should end up with a salary of at least $20MM and a term of at least six years. Also, Silverman talked to one source who suggested the Yankees' acquisition of Nick Swisher "could be a prelude to another deal with a National League club."

[h1]Mark Teixeira Rumors: Saturday[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 22 at 9:46am CST]

George King of the New York Posttalked to a source who says the Yankees are "set to be aggressive" with Mark Teixeira if they can only sign one of C.C.Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe.

The Yankees have said that pitching is their priority but, King's source says this could change if the Yankees can't get the pitchersthey want and Teixeira is not yet signed.

[h1]A.J. Burnett Rumors: Saturday[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 22 at 9:26am CST]

According toAnthony McCarron of the New York Daily News, the Yankees won't offer A.J. Burnett a five-year contract.

Ken Davidoff writes that Burnett's agent, Darek Brauneker, isconfident that his client will sign a five-year deal somewhere.

McCarron talked to a source who said that "the Yankees are not ready to go five years." The source also said that the Red Sox aremore interested in Mark Teixeira and Derek Lowe than Burnett.

The Blue Jays are still talking with Burnett, but they haven't yetoffered him a deal.

[h1]Mark Teixeira Rumors: Sunday[/h1]
By Nat Boyle [November 23 at 11:47am CST]

To recap: Teixeira told Erin Andrews on Thursday that he wants to have it finished before Christmas, according to Mike Scarr of mlb.com. It'sreasonable to anticipate the winter meetings, December 8-11, to be a suitable high profile venue for Boras to break the news. The Angels are preparing an offer for Mark Teixeira, perhaps with a deadline. If he doesn't accept it, they may make a move for Jake Peavy. The Yankees are "set to be aggressive" if they only land one of CC Sabathia,A.J. Burnett, or Derek Lowe. The Red Sox are apparently "lusting" for him, but are otherwise hush-hush, a sign that they might offerTeixeira the biggest contract in club history, predicts Tony Masarotti of the Boston Herald.

Teixeira seems to be leaning towards East Coast teams, says Randy Youngman of the Orange County Register. Says Youngman,
"I don't think it will be with the Angels. If he were going to re-sign in Anaheim, I think it already would have happened. Just a gut feeling. Even the people I talk to in the organization don't seem optimistic. Teixeira would be ridiculed if he signed with perpetual losers such as the Baltimore Orioles or Washington Nationals, so my guess is he'll sign with the Boston Red Sox."

[h1]Olney's Latest: Sabathia
[/h1]
By Nat Boyle [November 23 at 10:03am CST]

Olney's latest from hisblog:
  • Olney suggests that if the Knicks are making a move for Lebron James, then further incentive would exist for CC Sabathia to accept the Yankees $140MM offer. Take this with a huge grain of salt of course. The two are friends from their days in Cleveland. More realistically, he cuts to the point: if no California teams make a nine-figure offer, "folks involved" say he'll be in pinstripes.

CANO WORKING HARD, DROPPING WEIGHT

By GEORGE A. KING III

While they wait for CC Sabathia to decide if $140 million is worth the headaches created by the spotlight that always scorches the Yankees New York Yankees ,the club is jazzed about Robinson Cano's new body.

"I was as impressed with what he looks like as I have ever been in my whole life," hitting coach Kevin Long said of Cano yesterday after spending sixdays last week in the Dominican Republic with the second baseman who led the list of Yankees disappointments last season.

"He hired a personal trainer from New Jersey who is kicking his [butt], and he looks great," Long said. "His body fat is at 11 percent, hisstomach is cut."

The Yankees have been concerned about the 6-foot Cano's body weight - listed at 205 pounds - for a while. That, according to Long, shouldn't be aworry.

"He works on hitting and doing agility drills for two hours, rests and goes to the weight room for three hours," Long said of Cano, who enters thesecond-year of a four-year, $30 million deal. "There isn't a whole lot of heavy lifting. It's more cardio and light weights."

While the Yankees' focus is on signing two free-agent pitchers from the field of A.J. Burnett, Derek Lowe and Sabathia, they are interested in firstbaseman Mark Teixeira and Orlando Hudson, a second baseman they believe could play center field.

Originally, it was believed their interest in Hudson was a precursor to dealing Cano. However, the Yankees believe the .271 Cano batted a year ago, whenmanager Joe Girardi removed him from a late-season game for not hustling, was an aberration. Instead, they point to the .346 he batted in 122 games in 206, andto the .306 he hit in 2007.

Because they wanted him to continue to work on the closed stance he started to use in the final month of the season, the Yankees allowed Cano to DH forEstrellas in the Dominican Republic Winter League. Through three games he was hitting .250 (3-for-12).

While Cano works on his body, Long attacked the head with the hope the free swinger can develop early-count plate discipline.

"If he is going to be a third- or fifth-place hitter, which we need him to be, he has to learn about the strike zone and taking a lot more often thannot," Long said of Cano, who drew 26 walks last year. Only 11 players with at least 477 at-bats drew fewer walks than Cano.

"He can do that, because he hits as well as anybody with two strikes."

[email protected]

[h1]Pettitte Considering Dodgers[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 25 at 5:40pm CST]

According to Ken Rosenthal, free agent lefty Andy Pettittespoke to Joe Torre multiple times about the possibility of signing with the Dodgers. Rosenthal notes that Pettitte has a history of leaving when hedoesn't feel wanted, and the Yankees are taking a laid-back approach toward him this winter. Still, the Yankees remain Pettitte's first choice. Rosenthal does not see Pettitte returning to Houston.

[h1]Yankees Backup Plans[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 25 at 12:41pm CST]

Ken Davidoff of Newsday laysout the backup plans for the Yankees.

Mark Teixeira would come into play for Brian Cashman if C.C. Sabathia turns down the Yankees' offer. Davidoff adds that Sabathia would likely turn down the Yankees if Tex turns down the Angels first. So we could have a scenario where Teixeira signs with theYankees and Sabathia with the Angels, and neither team addresses its biggest need. The Yankees could also get in on Manny Ramirez if theyfail to sign Sabathia.

There's some hand-wringingcoming out of New York as Sabathia continues to sit on the Yankees' huge offer. I don't think Sabathia's silence sends a message, nor am Iconvinced he can't get a larger contract. It's sensible for Sabathia to hear the Angels out, especially with the rumor that they are considering aJohan Santana-like offer. If the Halos make that offer, the Yankees may have to come back with a seven-year contract worth more than$160MM.

Back
Top Bottom