New York YANKEES spring training thread......... 2 days until season starts: LETS GO YANKEES!

Can somebody explain to me why the Yankees sold Rasner to Japan for a million dollars? He was actually pretty decent and serviceable.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Can somebody explain to me why the Yankees sold Rasner to Japan for a million dollars? He was actually pretty decent and serviceable.
Rasner probably wanted to go over to Japan.... chance to make more money for his family.
Also the Yankees then get $1 million for it.... and also free up a spot on the 40 man roster and get to protect another player in the rule 5 draft.

Decent and serviceable != losing more games.

Some of his early losses were from poor run support...later losses had to deal with poor pitching.

He was a good clubhouse guy and I wish him all the best in Japan. Yankees get some roster flexibility and an extra million dollars to throw at CC, Peavy, andmaybe a few others.

Too bad they can't send Kei Igawa back to Japan.
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Cash man better be working on a deal for Peavy with Towers on the down low
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I know Cash's got to be, he's always pulling somethin sneaky
laugh.gif

Needs to swoop in and say NL teams.... you lose, too slow!

I'm having visions of....

CC Sabathia
Chien Ming Wang
Jake Peavy
AJ Burnett/Derek Lowe/...(Mike Mussina/Andy Pettitte)
Joba Chamberlain

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Originally Posted by Gregory House

Originally Posted by onewearz

yanks throwing that bread around this winter
pimp.gif

w8rn2v.jpg
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
onewearz, you're too much
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Frankie CALentino

Salty much?
He's sort of right though...why $140-$150 mil when no one else is bidding near that? Would he reallyreject the same amount of years, but let's say $15-$20 mil less? It would still be well over what any other club would be able to offer...then again,it's not my money so I shouldn't really talk...
laugh.gif

if the yanks revamp this rotation with 3 or 4 new pitchers there's no reason for joba to start. he should be in the bullpen when he's 10 times morevaluable in my opinion. he can go back to being the 8th inning guy and eventually take over for mo .

cash money's gonna get peavy
pimp.gif

2jrrxw.jpg

Originally Posted by onewearz

if the yanks revamp this rotation with 3 or 4 new pitchers there's no reason for joba to start. he should be in the bullpen when he's 10 times more valuable in my opinion. he can go back to being the 8th inning guy and eventually take over for mo .

cash money's gonna get peavy
pimp.gif

2jrrxw.jpg
roll.gif

I swear Onewearz is the best Team Yankee member
roll.gif

in regards to spending that paper this winter, do it Cash. Lets try and save our prospects and just hand over blank checks to CC, Tex, Manny (hopefully).

One of my off-season habits is to create a list of free agents the Yankees are or might be interested in and try and stay in touch with their agents, or the player himself if possible.

I was updating that list today and noticed were no relief pitchers on it. When is the last time that was the case?

If there is one area of the team the Yankees appear settled, it's the bullpen. Take a look at the depth chart:

Closer: Mariano Rivera.

Left-handed set-up: Damaso Marte, Phil Coke

Right-handed set-up: Brian Bruney, Jose Veras, Edwar Ramirez

Promising young guys who are moving up: David Robertson, Mark Melancon

Injured guys who could have a role: Humberto Sanchez, Jon Albaladejo

Guys you get a sense could help if they didn't send them back and fourth to Scranton 500 times: Chris Britton

Assorted long reliever candidates: Dan Giese, Alfredo Aceves

Guys they're still holding a candle for: J.B. Cox

Minor-league starters who could be good major-league relievers: Chase Wright, Alan Horne, Eric Hacker

Prospects below AAA who could make a move in 2009: Kevin Whelan, Anthony Claggett, Zach Kroenke

That's 20 pitchers and I'm sure I'm missing a few. The point is that the Yankees have done a nice job of finding and cultivating bullpen arms and it saves them from having to invest in free-agent relievers.

I agree with the poster who said we should keep Joba in the Bullpen. A guy with a Fastball like that is better off served only pitching only 1-2 innings everyfew days. He's more effective that way. Plus, we need someone to replace Rivera soon. I know he had a sick year, but he is getting old and we seriouslyneed to start looking for someone to replace him. Joba has the charisma and mentality to really exceed in that position where many fail.

Posting this in here since more people will probably end up reading it in here since the other thread won't survive...

YANKEES TO PLAY FIRST-EVER EXHIBITION GAMES AT NEW YANKEE STADIUM ON APRIL 3 AND 4 AGAINST THE CHICAGO CUBS
The New York Yankees announced today they will play the first-ever exhibition games at the new Yankee Stadium against the Chicago Cubs on Friday, April 3 at 7:05 p.m. and Saturday, April 4 at 1:05 p.m.

The Yankees will welcome the Cubs to the Bronx for the first time since playing a three-game Interleague series in 2005. The two teams also met in the 1932 and 1938 World Series, with the Yankees sweeping both Fall Classics. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it marks the Yankees' first preseason exhibition game played in the Bronx since a two-game, split-stadium series against the Mets in 1993.

"The Yankees organization is excited and honored to host the Chicago Cubs in two exhibition games to be played at the new Yankee Stadium," said Yankees co-Chairperson Hal Steinbrenner. "As we welcome our fans into the ballpark for the first time, it is fitting to showcase two of Baseball's greatest and most historic franchises."

"We are thrilled to have such a great organization in the Chicago Cubs agree to play the first-ever exhibition games as we unveil Yankee Stadium," said Yankees President Randy Levine. "It will be a symbolic event for the fans of two iconic teams while we celebrate the beginning of a new chapter in this proud franchise's history."

This two-game exhibition will also mark the return of 2008 National League Manager-of-the-Year Lou Piniella, who patrolled the outfield of Yankee Stadium for 11 seasons, was a member of two World Series Championship teams (1977, '78) and served as the Yankees' manager from 1986-88.

"The Cubs are thrilled to be the Yankees' first opponent in the new Yankee Stadium and are honored to take part in this historic event," said Crane Kenney, Chairman of the Cubs. "Lou Piniella and eight of our players had the honor to partake in All-Star Game festivities that helped say farewell to Yankee Stadium last summer, and we look forward to participating in the opening of the Yankees' new ballpark next spring."

The Yankees will play their first regular season home game in the new Yankee Stadium on Thursday, April 16, 2009, vs. the Cleveland Indians.

The newly-constructed Stadium is located on the north side of 161st Street (between River and Jerome Avenues), directly across the street from the current Stadium. With a capacity for 52,325 fans, Yankee Stadium has improved sight lines, wider concourses, significantly improved and varied food options and state-of-the-art audio/visual capabilities. All of the new Stadium's thoroughly modern amenities exist within the framework of the classic architectural elements of the original Stadium, most notably the instantly recognizable frieze that again circles the grandstand.

Ticket information for the Yankees' two exhibition games vs. the Chicago Cubs will be released at a later date.

[h1]Jake Peavy Rumors: Monday[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 17 at 8:27pm CST]

MLB.com's CoreyBrock has the latest on Jake Peavy, after speaking to Padres GM Kevin Towers.

It doesn't sound like much is going on with the Yankees, despite Ken Rosenthal's report of numerous discussions. Towers says he's had "no direct conversations with Cashman about Peavy over a period of time." Towers is currently focused on the Cubs, butadmits that a third or even fourth team would need to be involved. He hasn't talked to the Angels about Peavy.

[h1]Yankees Rumors: Burnett, Teixeira, Peavy[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 18 at 8:40am CST]

George King of the New York Post andKat O'Brien of Newsday have the latest on the Yankees, who are in hot pursuit offree agent starting pitching.
  • King says the Yankees are preparing an offer for A.J. Burnett, "perhaps a five-year deal worth about $80 million." Burnett's agent says they're just discussing parameters. It would be a strong offer, dwarfing the Blue Jays' four years, $54MM.
  • The Yankees may make an offer to Derek Lowe soon; they've reached out to Scott Boras regarding him. Other Lowe suitors: the Dodgers, Red Sox, Mets, and Rangers. O'Brien also says the Yanks expressed interest in Mark Teixeira to Boras (despite the Nick Swisher acquisition). The Orioles have also expressed interest in Tex.
  • King also talked to a "baseball exec" who sees the Cubs re-signing Ryan Dempster at four years, $52MM.
  • Andy Pettitte's agent doesn't want a pay cut from this year's $16MM.
  • The expectation is still for Mike Mussina to retire; we may know this week.
  • The Yankees aren't in on Jake Peavy, as evidenced by Kevin Towers' comments last night. Rick Sutcliffe and Mark Grace have been pitching the Cubs to Peavy, though the hangup seems more about which players the Chicago would send to San Diego.
  • The Yanks have an offer of about six years, $140MM on the table for C.C. Sabathia, and he's mulling it over (somewhere).

man i hope we get teixiera , i don't care what they have to give him . don't sound like we got a chance at peavy
smh.gif
he's another guy i'd loveto have .........

Originally Posted by Frankie CALentino

Don't forget Venditte!
If he ever sees the Majors, it won't be for a while. He just pitched in Staten Island this season (which is Single A, the lowest level of it Ibelieve).

Nick Swisher seems like a good guy based on his just-concluded conference call.
A few of the highlights: He made it very clear that he wants to play first base, saying it's his best position and that he would like to see what he can do if he finally gets a chance to play one position instead of hopping around. … He didn't go into detail about last season beyond saying hitting leadoff wasn't a good fit and that he learned a lot and was humbled by it. … He has not yet spoken to his pal Mr. Sabathia. … A-Rod called and welcomed him to the team, as did hitting coach Kevin Long.

In general, he seems thrilled to be with the Yankees. Here, have a listen for yourself:

I think A-Rod gets a raw deal sometimes....
This just another example going against the bad image he sometimes gets.
They don't even know each other yet he went out of his way to welcome Swisher to the team.

arod will get a raw deal from the bandwagon fans for as long as he's here. real fans know the deal .........

Mike Mussina To Retire

According to Ken Rosenthal, Mike Mussina is retiring to spend more time with his family. He goes on out top, with a 20 win season in 2008. The Yankees were already operating under the assumption he would retire.

Moose finishes with 270 wins and a 3.68 career ERA. Is he Hall of Fame material?

in my opinion he is not a hall of famer.

Back
Top Bottom