New York YANKEES spring training thread......... 2 days until season starts: LETS GO YANKEES!

lets just get manny here already, give him a 1 year offer with a option for a second year..

1 year/$27 million.

Team option for a second.

Just to see if he bites.
laugh.gif

News from the Yankees blog at LoHud...the Yankees got an OF...
But it's not Mike Cameron.

This from the Yankees:

The New York Yankees today acquired outfielder/catcher Eric Fryer from the Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for left-handed pitcher Chase Wright.

Fryer, 23, batted .335 (129-for-385) with 26 doubles, five triples, 10 home runs and 63 RBI in 104 games with Single-A West Virginia in 2008, seeing time at left field, catcher, first base and designated hitter. He led the South Atlantic League in batting average and on-base percentage (.407) and ranked third in slugging percentage (.506). Fryer was originally selected by the Brewers in the 10th round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft out of Ohio State University. He will be assigned to Single-A Tampa.

Wright, 25, posted a 10-3 record with one save and a 2.85 ERA in 24 combined appearances (22 starts) with Double-A Trenton, the GCL Yankees and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in 2008, ranking fifth in wins among Yankees minor leaguers. The left-hander's lone Major League action came in 2007 with the Yankees, going 2-0 with a 7.20 ERA in three appearances (two starts). He was designated for assignment on January 27, when LHP Andy Pettitte was re-signed and added to the 40-man roster.
--
You might remember Wright from giving up four homers at Fenway Park a few years back. He's a good kid though - hopefully he'll do well.

Originally Posted by toine2983

Anyone picked up Joe Torre's book?
nerd.gif

my wife just brought it home to me. ima start reading tonight. i'll reserve my judgment on benedict torre until i'm finished ...........

you guys know we are not allowed to sign Manny even if we wanted to. It' s the free agent type A/B rule. We signed 3 type A's I believe, then again Imight be a bit off, but this is what I read a couple days ago.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

you guys know we are not allowed to sign Manny even if we wanted to. It' s the free agent type A/B rule. We signed 3 type A's I believe, then again I might be a bit off, but this is what I read a couple days ago.
That was debunked.
We can if we want, pretty sure from what I just read the other day.

But Cashman just came out and said that we aren't signing Manny today.......... if that means anything
laugh.gif

i just read that the yanks offered andruw jones a minor league deal but he turned it down. good move in my opinion, see if he has anything left. all for not iguess.

i also read that jeter is gonna play an exhibition game against the yanks with the usa team. that should be funny. he said he hopes no one throws inside athim. could you imagine one of these minor leaguers hitting him on the hand and knocking him out for a couple months. that dude would be shot on site
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

you guys know we are not allowed to sign Manny even if we wanted to. It' s the free agent type A/B rule. We signed 3 type A's I believe, then again I might be a bit off, but this is what I read a couple days ago.
That was debunked.
We can if we want, pretty sure from what I just read the other day.

But Cashman just came out and said that we aren't signing Manny today?.......... if that means anything
laugh.gif

perhaps tomorrow?
laugh.gif

Great Torre interviews on MLB.com & ESPN.com

Go watch.

I love this note..... A-Rod went over to Jeter's spot after a game to hang out..... A-Rod wanted to watch the west coast games & Jeter didn't haveMLB Package and A-Rod was
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif

because A-Rod's a baseball nut...... but Jeter was like "If I'm not playing I don't watch the game"

Who do you guys will be more productive this year as long as both are healthy. Jorge Posada or Hideki Matsui (barring he doesn't get traded)

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

I love this note..... A-Rod went over to Jeter's spot after a game to hang out..... A-Rod wanted to watch the west coast games & Jeter didn't have MLB Package and A-Rod was
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif

because A-Rod's a baseball nut...... but Jeter was like "If I'm not playing I don't watch the game"
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Love it!!! On both sides.

Via Peter @ LoHud.
[h2]http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/02/06/spring-training-preview/[/h2]
[h2]Spring training preview[/h2]
Spring training is not quite here. But it's close enough to present our annual preview. Here's a look at some of the basic information you need to know:

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Joe Girardi meets with reporters: Thursday.

Pitchers and catchers report: Friday

First workout: Feb. 14

First full-squad workout: Feb. 18

First exhibition game: Feb. 25 vs. Toronto at Dunedin

Last exhibition game: April 4 vs. Cubs at Yankee Stadium

Opening Day: April 6 at Baltimore

THE 40-MAN ROSTER
Pitchers: Alfredo Aceves, Jonathan Albaladejo, Andrew Brackman, Brian Bruney, A.J. Burnett, Joba Chamberlain, Anthony Claggett, Phil Coke, Wilkin De La Rosa, Michael Dunn, Christian Garcia, Dan Giese, Eric Hacker, Phil Hughes, Steven Jackson, Ian Kennedy, Damaso Marte, Andy Pettitte, Edwar Ramirez, Mariano Rivera, David Robertson, CC Sabathia, Humberto Sanchez, Jose Veras, Chien-Ming Wang.

Catchers: Francisco Cervelli, Jose Molina, Jorge Posada.

Infielders: Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter, Juan Miranda, Cody Ransom, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira.

Outfielders: Melky Cabrera, Johnny Damon, Brett Gardner, Xavier Nady, Nick Swisher, Hideki Matsui.

NON-ROSTER PLAYERS
Pitchers:
Kei Igawa, Jason Johnson, Mark Melancon, Sergio Mitre.

Catchers: Kyle Anson, Kevin Cash, Jesus Montero, P.J. Pilittere, Austin Romine.

Infielders: Doug Bernier, Angel Berroa, Shelley Duncan, Justin Leone, Eduardo Nunez, Ramiro Pen, Kevin Russo.

Outfielders: Colin Curtis, Austin Jackson, Todd Linden, John Rodriguez.

More additions: The Yankees offered Andruw Jones a non-roster invite that he declined. Might that change as the season approaches? There are some potentially helpful players out there including Mark Grudzielanek, Orlando Hudson, Nomar Garciaparra, Juan Cruz and Rich Aurilia.

Changes: Tony Pena is the new bench coach, Rob Thomson went to third base and Mick Kelleher is the new first base coach. The organization also made a number of changes to the support staff.

So long from 2008: Mike Mussina, Bobby Abreu, Jason Giambi, Pudge Rodrigez, Bobby Meacham, Chad Moeller, Darrell Rasner, Sidney Ponson, Wilson Betemit, Justin Christian, Chris Britton and, finally, Carl Pavano.

Position battles: Cabrera and Gardner will duel for center field. The Yankees do not want to use Damon or Swisher there and prefer to have Jackson stay in the minors for another season. Either Nady or Swisher will play right field. It's quite possible of them gets traded.

Rivera, Marte and Bruney have three of the six (or seven) jobs in the bullpen. The other spots will be competed for. Veras, Ramirez, Giese, Albaladejo, Melancon, Robertson and Sanchez are among the contenders. Maybe Coke, too, unless he's developed as a starter. Either Ransom or Berroa projects as the utility infielder.

Concerns: The bench is weak. One solution would be not trading Nady or Swisher and using them as part of a rotation with Damon and Matsui. Another solution would be signing a veteran free agent.

Breakout Prospects: Now that he has recovered from elbow surgery, it will be interesting to watch Brackman pitch. Look for him to start with Class A Tampa. The organization has a lot of faith in Melancon. Young pitchers Dunn and De La Rosa, two converted outfielders, are intriguing prospects. Austin Jackson could draw some raves.

Generation Never? With five starters established, how Hughes and Kennedy react will be story worth following. Will they come to camp ready to impress or sore that they don't really have a chance to make the team?

The Rehab Boys: Wang, Rivera, Matsui and Posada are all coming off surgery or serious injuries. All four are expected to be ready for Opening Day but will be used cautiously. Posada's shoulder will be a big story in camp.

The Annual A-Rod Controversy: One year he announced he wasn't friends with Jeter. The next was all about his contract and a made-up number of drug tests he took. Now the silly story of the spring will be whether his teammates consider him a fraud, as Joe Torre suggests. Or will it be his publicity-seeking dalliances with celebrities? At this point, it's all quite tedious. The good news is he's due for an MVP season.

Captain Crewcut: Joe Girardi didn't make a lot of friends in his first year as manager. Silly rules for the players, poor communication with his coaching staff and an unwillingness to demand accountability with young players like Cano resulted in some rocky times. How he adjusts in his second year will determine whether he remains as manager. A slow start could lead to a change.

The Terrific Trio: Burnett, Sabathia and Teixeira have easy jobs. They merely need to justify their huge salaries by leading the Yankees back to the World Series for the first time since 2003. The first season in New York is always an interesting one for a star player. Sabathia could quickly emerge as a team leader.

WBC Absentees: Jeter, A-Rod, Cano, Cabrera, Marte and a few others are on WBC provisional rosters. So get ready to see a lot of scrubs in the infield until the big boys get back. Cabrera might be wise to stay in Tampa and try and win a job.

Trade Time: Spring training trades are fairly rare. Most teams would rather take stock of what they have at this point. But the Yankees have pieces to make a significant move. Take Nady or Swisher, Kennedy and one of the bullpen arms and that could bring back a significant return.

Starter depth: The AAA rotation could be Hughes, Kennedy, Aceves, Coke and Igawa. That's not too bad.

I leave for Tampa on Monday morning and will be blogging often from that point on. Enjoy the weekend.

I don't. I love our squad. Keeping both X-man and Swish gives us depth. I don't think we need to make a trade, just for the sake of making a trade. Weneed to get better, and what we suffer from right now IS lack of depth.

I'm hyped to see how our pitching staff does (Brackman, P.Coke...starter or relief?) and how Juan Miranda works out.

Who do you guys will be more productive this year as long as both are healthy. Jorge Posada or Hideki Matsui (barring he doesn't get traded)

I'm going to go with Hideki on that one.

I'm hyped to see how our pitching staff does (Brackman, P.Coke...starter or relief?)
I'd like to see some more out of Coke in the pen before he sniffs the rotation. Maybe it's just me but I think the kid makes a differencethis year.

A-Rod wanted to watch the west coast games & Jeter didn't have MLB Package and A-Rod was
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I read that the Yankees told Coke to prepare as a starter...but I think he'll be in AAA and get called up to do spot starts when necessary.

I hope Hughes and Kennedy can rebound from their poor seasons.

How crazy is the AAA starting rotation..

My thing is im scared about this upcoming season.

It'll definitely be all or nothing, but with this team I feel the same vibe I felt from the old 99/200 teams after Clemens got brought in.

LOL reading The Yankee Years is totally giving me a different perspective on I'm viewing this season..

Back
Top Bottom