New York YANKEES spring training thread......... 2 days until season starts: LETS GO YANKEES!

Originally Posted by jrp44

Chien-Ming Wang: The Wanger was in NYC today getting his right foot checked out and got a clean bill of health. He threw a bullpen in Tampa on Monday. "He's doing terrific," Cashman said. "He was fine. He had no pain, no problem."
roll.gif

roll.gif
Come on.

Yankees Are Abreu's First Choice
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 1 at 1:20pm CST]

According to Jesse Spector of the NewYork Daily News, Bobby Abreu would like to remain a Yankee. Chris Leible, one of Abreu's agents, said that Abreu's been "veryhappy with the Yankees" and that returning to play for them is his "first choice."

Spector points out that the Yankees have lots of outfielders already under control next year. Johnny Damon, HideiMatsui, Xavier Nady, Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner are all options for the Yankees in theoutfield. Since Jorge Posada might have to DH, the Yankees can't afford to carry too many outfield-DH type players.

Abreu was productive for the Yankees this year, hitting .296/.371/.471 in 156 games. The Yankees plan on offering him arbitration.
[h1]Yankees Rumors: Teixeira, Manny, Mussina[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 1 at 11:18am CST]

According to Newsday's Ken Davidoff, a Yankees insider thinks thatManny Ramirez is more likely than Mark Teixeira to sign with the club. Hank Steinbrenner and the Yankees haven't ruled Manny out of their plans, but that doesn't mean they're likely tosign either Manny or Teixeira. The Yankees' priority is starting pitching this offseason.

Davidoff wrote Thursday that"it would be a shocker" to see the Yankees offer Teixeira a contract of 10 years and $200MM. Last year, Tex turned down an eight-year offer from theRangers worth around $140MM.

According to Peter Abraham, MikeMussina's agent, Arn Tellem, arrived in Pennsylvania to talk with Mussina about his future. Abraham speculates that Mussina will announce hisretirement "sometime soon." In September, Mussina said if he comes back hewould play three more years to try and reach 300 wins.

TO THE DUDE WHO POSTED THAT ROBINSON CANO FOR MATT CAIN LONG RANT (which was too long to read).........

Regardless of whether or not the rumor that PETER GAMMONS reported of JJ Hardy and Prince Fielder for Cain is true or not, the fact that the Brewersentertained the thought should show the Giants what Cain is potentially worth. Im a huge Robinson Cano fan. He is a great player. But a good young pitcher ismore valuable than a good young hitter, especially in a pitchers ball park. Cain is one of the best young pitchers in the National League. Why would we trade ablossoming young pitcher for a solid second baseman. Especially because he has like 4 or 5 years left on his deal. This idea is just ridiculous. Cano is NOTthe answer the Giants need. The Giants with Cain would be better than the Giants with Cano.

****EDIT*****Just read the article. Wow....homer much? I love how it says how the trade is such a good fit for both.....apparently the author forgot to includereasons its good for the Giants. As a fan who watched 75% of their games even though we were awful, I can say it would be a horrible trade for the GIants, andan awful fit.

A left-hander by the name of Carsten Charles Sabathia filed for free agency today.
The Yankees immediately loaded a Brinks Truck with bags of money and are are having it slowly circle the block where Sabathia lives until heagrees to sign. Hank Steinbrenner is at the wheel shouting out the window.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

dam we gonna get cc and i really think it's a mistake. i just have this bad feeling about him coming here. hope my gut is wrong ..........

Originally Posted by onewearz

dam we gonna get cc and i really think it's a mistake. i just have this bad feeling about him coming here. hope my gut is wrong ..........
I have the same bad feeling...

CC in the NL = beast
CC in the AL = above average pitcher but he wont be putting up brewer numbers

CC's good, but the amount of $ theyre offering is too much for a player who's stats in the AL isn't THAT great

Whether CC were to do really well or not in NY, we just have to get him....
We can NOT keep passing up/losing out on aces.....

Santana
Dice-K
Beckett
Etc etc

We NEED an ace for now & the future.

Sabathia
Wang
Joba
Pettitte
???? (Hughes/Free Agent)

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

Whether CC were to do really well or not in NY, we just have to get him....
We can NOT keep passing up/losing out on aces.....

Santana
Dice-K
Beckett
Etc etc

We NEED an ace for now & the future.

Sabathia
Wang
Joba
Pettitte
???? (Hughes/Free Agent)

you wanna sign him just so we can have an ace ? we got wang, dude can be considered an ace. top pitcher of our current staff. look at his postseason stats :

bhn3vn.jpg

these stats scare me . dude is not good in the postseason and in ny where your measured on what you do in the postseason ( ie arod ) the pressure will beenormous for this dude. i don't think he'll be able to handle it. the media and some of my idiotic yankee comrads will be on this dude if he startsslow, dont lead the league in wins by april and god forbid he lose his first start to the sox .....

i just don't want cc . but if we get em i wont be unhappy ...........

Flying to California later on today for the General Manager Meetings. They get started on Monday and run through roughly mid-day on Thursday.

There will be multiple blog entries, audio clips and we're hoping to do a live video chat on location.

Traditionally, the GM Meetings serve as a precursor to the Winter Meetings. But it was in Orlando at the GM Meetings a year ago when Brad Lidge was traded to the Phillies. With players like Jake Peavy and Matt Holliday on the market, there could be some early moves. We've already seen Florida 1B Mike Jacobs dealt to the Royals for reliever Leo Nunez. The penny-pinching Marlins could make a few more such deals.

George King of the Post reported today that the Yankees would not pick up the $6 million option on Damaso Marte. As he is a Class A free agent, Marte would net them two draft picks. The Yankees also could sign Marte back at a cheaper rate.

I'm a little surprised by this given how difficult it is to find left-handed relievers. Rookie Phil Coke pitched well, but September statistics for a team playing out the string are difficult to quantify.

So check in tomorrow for all the chatter.

Originally Posted by Cant Nobody Stop Me

Originally Posted by onewearz

I have the same bad feeling...

Me too.

Aside from Mussina and the Rocket, our track record with bringing in big name pitchers during the offseason isn't good.

See Randy Johnson, Kei Igawa, Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright.

I swear to God if we sign Burnett or Manny.
mad.gif

I'll rather have Peavy than CC. I have a bad feeling about CC too. I hope we get Tex and stay away from Man Ram.

[h1]Yankees Sign Sergio Mitre[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 3 at 3:04pm CST]

According toMLB.com's Joe Frisaro, the Yankees signed sinkerballer Sergio Mitre to a split contract. The MajorLeague portion is for $1.25MM, and there's a club option for 2010. Eight teams had shown interest. Mitre may not be ready until midseason following JulyTommy John surgery.
[h1]2009 Top 50 Free Agents[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 3 at 2:00pm CST]

It's time for the third annual MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 Free Agents list! The entire list of available free agents can be found here.

A note before we begin - this is a complicated puzzle, and I'll be satisfied if I'm correct on a quarter of these guesses. If yourfavorite team seems under-represented, keep in mind that the list doesn't account for trades or every single free agent.

1. C.C. Sabathia - Yankees. The guess here is that the Yankees will make C.C. an offer he can't refuse, and he'llsign a seven-year deal. Sabathia is the key to the Yankees' offseason.

2. Mark Teixeira - Angels. The Angels can probably afford one of Sabathia, Teixeira, and K-Rod. They need Tex themost.

3. Manny Ramirez - Dodgers. I think Manny will ultimately sign a deal in the four-year, $100MM range.

5. A.J. Burnett - Orioles. I am uneasy about this prediction. We know Burnett would like to play there, but will theO's even enter the bidding? They do need starting pitching badly, and theoretically Burnett will still be effective when they are ready tocontend.

6. Derek Lowe - Yankees. This would set up a rotation of Sabathia/Wang/Lowe/Pettitte/Chamberlain. Very solid onpaper.

11. Mike Mussina - Retirement. I will go with the media sentiment that Moose is set to retire despite such a strong2008.

14. Bobby Abreu - Cubs. His defense isn't a perfect fit at Wrigley, but they do crave a left-handed middle of theorder bat. Fitting his salary in could be tricky.

16. Andy Pettitte - Yankees. Once again, it's Yankees or retirement for Pettitte.

20. Jason Giambi - Athletics. The A's are looking for a power hitter on a short-term deal, so a reunion makessense.

Forget that we need to get C.C..

And as far as post season pitching goes how about we go back to Wang's stats to the post season. I could've swore dude lost us two games against theIndians in the ALDS 2 years ago. We need a big time pitcher. Regardless of price I mean who cares if we pay and he busts. CAN WE TRY ATLEAST.

Hughes, Cabrera & Kennedy for Santana. We said no.
Dice K.. We chose to get that other japanese pitcher. That BUM.
Beckett.. I'm glad we didn't get him. I'd be like getting another Johnny Damon except Beckett beat us in the World Series.

AND YOOOO... Why not get Manny.. YALL BUGGING OUT. I swear you guys are all over analyzing this situation. Manny ='s WINS.
Manny hitting 4th + AROD hitting 3rd = Yankees 27th. Besides that though I think A.Rod needs to hit 3rd next season and force him to hit in the first inning ofevery game regardless. Clean up is just too much for the style hitter he is. Let Bobby get the hits. I rather A.Rod get walked intentionally then have A.Rodground into a double play. Bobby makes contact.

We'll be referencing this thread next postseason if we get CC saying how we already had an ace in Wang.

Maybe it's just me but we have a solid ace already who had back to back 19 win seasons w/an ERA under 4 in the AL, is the same age as CC w/less mileage onhim and just as reliable IMO. Then you have CC who above all is pushing 300 lbs which is just awful (I don't have any other words for it), who has 8 yearsand over 180 IP each season in the big leagues and is proven not to show up in big games I don't know I'm not sold on throwing all that money away onCC. We already have a Cy Young candidate and I'd rather try and work some magic and get Peavy and Burnett/Lowe for basically the same amount of money w/thesame variables (big game disappearing acts, not knowing if they'd fare well in the big city). I don't have faith in CC in the AL East especially theway the Rays just showed they can hit the ball and you know Boston is going to spend money as well. Potential rotations of Wang/Burnett/Lowe/Pettitte/Hughes orWang/Peavy/Lowe/Pettitte/Hughes is nothing to laugh at. And yes I still have 100% faith in Hughes as stupid as I may sound.

Keep Abreu, Damon and Nady in the outfield. Keep your infield the same except for first base and use that money you're going to waste on CC and get Tex.One issue people are ignoring is Jorge's health. If he has to DH what are we going to do then? We have enough OF's who need rest to DH what then?

So because we have Wang who many of you believe is an "ace" we shouldn't sign CC? That"s ridiculous. What pitchers with big game and NewYork experience is out there that we should acquire than? Some of you make no sense at all.

Originally Posted by JoE TwEnTy1

So because we have Wang who many of you believe is an "ace" we shouldn't sign CC? That"s ridiculous. What pitchers with big game and New York experience is out there that we should acquire than? Some of you make no sense at all.

i concur at this point cc is > atleast 1 person in that rotation

Seriously who in the MLB is currently better than CC? Santana and then......who? Beckett when (rarely) healthy? Oh and I guess pitching on 3 days rest for like2 straight weeks and getting his team into the postseason knowing that an injury might cost him 100 million dollars isn't coming up big?
Sign CC
Go after Lowe with a 3 year deal and a high AAV
Go hard after Texeria
Let Giambi, Abreu and Pudge go
Try and talk Moose out of retirment if not sign Pettitte
Explore the trade market for a CF or a coner OF if Damon can give us one year in Center

That should be out plan at this point.

Back
Top Bottom