NEWS DAVE CHAPPELLE STORMS OFF STAGE Throws Tantrum Over Noisy Crowd

Not his fault at all.

Some might say hecklers and dealing with hecklers is part of the job of being a comedian, but it's also the venue's job to take care of those hecklers so the man can do his thing.

I think he is taking a stand which I think is fine. I hate how an audience can ruin someone's career just based on them being disrespectful. I honestly don't get it. Why pay money to only talk while a performance? I seen Dave Chappelle twice and the first time, there was just some drunk dude that wouldn't shut up and kept on saying "come on Dave" throughout every punchline and yet he never got kicked out.

And also....stand up comic shows are a hit or miss and you have to go knowing you are gambling to get either or.

Chappelle will go down as our generations....whatever carlin of murphy....

I still respect dude a lot because he stands for something....BUT...

I feel that he could have handled that situation better but I do believe he has hit his boiling point because there have been multiple times during his "comeback" where fans heckle him.

Their trying to break him and he should come with ammo for every city he's in and just shut them ************* down as soon as they start talking ****.

personally I feel he's getting too much into the "art" of comedy and not just having fun with it....

Hope he rebounds and he comes back to the top of his game.

i agree
so what exactly did he say on why he left the show
i know why or at least heard of why i just would like to know what he said at the show

He told us he that once he signed that $50million contract, the show wasn't his anymore. It was now Comedy Central's and everything had to go through them first.

He just felt like he wasn't in control of the show anymore and was a puppet for the network.

Said he went to Africa to find himself, because people over there don't really know who he is...he's just another person over there and wanted to feel normal again.

Also said, literally everywhere he went, people would scream "I'm Rick James *****!" and all of the other catch phrases from the show and it just got annoying.

I'm sorry but I think a comic of his stature should be able to deal with hecklers.
indifferent.gif

I'm paying money to hear the material he's prepared, not to hear how well he deals with idiots in the crowd yelling random stuff at him. He ain't supposed to be the Super Nat of comedy

I'm sorry but I think a comic of his stature should be able to deal with hecklers.
this is a ridiculous statement.

You're implying that heckling is justifiable.
Heckling is never justifiable.

Why pay to see someone, if you're just going to heckle them? :smh:

The crowd ruined it for themselves...if they would have just kept quiet, Dave would have did his show as planned and that would have been it.

Sucks that a couple bad apples spoiled it for the rest of the audience, but still...none of them deserve refunds.

Also, security should have stepped in immediately and kicked those people out.

Isn't this the fifth or sixth time he's done this?

He has the right to get fed up with idiots who interrupt his material by shouting RICK JAMES *****. We know he's especially sensitive about people who scream **** from an old sketch. It's like if Jay Z tried to put on a concert and crowds kept chanting "CAN I GET A WHAT WHAT" basically telling him we don't give a **** about your new stuff, we wanna hear that jam.

But he should know what to expect from these crowds by now. He's gotten pissed and sat on stage multiple times before. A large crowd like this is gonna be disrespectful and idiotic on that level no matter what. Then of course if you shoot attitude (even deservedly so) back at them, they're just gonna escalate their anger.

I think comedy clubs and settings like that are better because most of the patrons would have the 'etiquette' that Dave expects from his audience. Unfortunately that might be the only setting where people know better than to shout "Let me purify you in the waters of Lake Minnetonka" in the middle of a joke.

Last edited:
lol @ this being called a meltdown. The last real celebrity meltdown that I can think of was britney spears.

He should just stick to the Bay Area scene - gets plenty of love here and fewer people interrupting.

Best shows he does are the last act of the night - get the last show tickets whenever possible, he goes on and on and just interacts with the people. When you're limited to a couple of hours, he's not as good.

Imagine how it feels to have people screaming "I'm Rick James *****" everywhere you go. Not to mention hearing it when his families with him. You'd have a short fuse too having to hear 10 year old jokes hurled at you on a daily basis. No wonder he chooses to live on a farm in ohio, it's the only place he can go to get away from hearing that all day. I can't even watch chapelle show anymore, too many of the jokes have been ran into the ground over the years.

Last edited:
lol @ this being called a meltdown. The last real celebrity meltdown that I can think of was britney spears Lamar Odom

Yeah, it's not a "meltdown," it's simply Chappelle not putting up with **** from the crowd.

And they weren't "hecklers," just people who shout over his set with Chappelle Show references. Which is equally disrespectful, just in a different way. They became hecklers later on when Dave gave them the **** you.

Last edited:
He should just stick to the Bay Area scene - gets plenty of love here and fewer people interrupting.

Seriously. He loves it out here and whenever I miss a show, I always know he will have another one here too.

And definitely not every comic can handle hecklers. You have a few that can get control but for the most part, a lot of comedians will have the hardest time with hecklers, which is why security will just kick them out.

mean.gif
 Not Dave man, not Dave ...I'm going to his show next month on the tour. I hope it's not a flop.

Last edited:

Guy...Can you PLEASE stop having some sort of adversarial statement for everything I say? It's so annoying.

I didn't imply that heckling is justifiable, BUT it is something that comics should learn to deal with.

inb4 you once again tell ME what I meant

Chappelle will go down as our generations....whatever carlin of murphy....

I still respect dude a lot because he stands for something....BUT...

I feel that he could have handled that situation better but I do believe he has hit his boiling point because there have been multiple times during his "comeback" where fans heckle him.

Their trying to break him and he should come with ammo for every city he's in and just shut them ************* down as soon as they start talking ****.

personally I feel he's getting too much into the "art" of comedy and not just having fun with it....

Hope he rebounds and he comes back to the top of his game.

maybe he feels like its not worth his time and energy. the crowd shouldn't rely on dave to tell the hecklers to ****. the people who WANTED to watch dave do his thing paid guap to be there so they should punching hecklers in the face lol

Guy...Can you PLEASE stop having some sort of adversarial statement for everything I say? It's so annoying.

I didn't imply that heckling is justifiable, BUT it is something that comics should learn to deal with.

Haha...wut? You must be delusional if you think that that's the case.

Yes, you did. You said that he should be able to handle heckling. Which means in some situations, heckling is justifiable if they comedian shuts them down.

As the other poster who refuted your statement said, no one goes to a show to see how comedians deal with idiots.

Nobody's going to be talking about Dave's top 5 heckler shutting down moments.

So learning how to be the grand master of shutting down hecklers is unnecessary, because that's not what stand up is about.

Last edited:

Actually i'm for heckling....comedians can turn moments of heckling into it's own stand alone special.

Heckling comes with the territory of comedy. It's a shame that most hecklers are beligerent drunks but a comedian can just go in on them for the lulz.

Also if your gonna say heckling is not justifiable then you would have to say the same of comedians who target people at comedy shows.

It's all for comedy.

Haha...wut? You must be delusional if you think that that's the case.
Yes, you did. You said that he should be able to handle heckling. Which means in some situations, heckling is justifiable if they comedian shuts them down.
As the other poster who refuted your statement said, no one goes to a show to see how comedians deal with idiots.

Nobody's going to be talking about Dave's top 5 heckler shutting down moments.
So learning how to be the grand master of shutting down hecklers is unnecessary, because that's not what stand up is about.

I don't want you to get offended about what I'm about to ask you, and I'm totally serious when I say it.

Are you autistic?

SO why wouldnt security or promoters straight up toss the hecklers out at first sign of trouble? Would the whole crowd turn on Dave? This mob mentality when you're only hurting yourself is beyond pathetic.
It wasn’t a smaller comedy club where security knows how to handle hecklers and such. This is was a large scale comedy festival with your standard rent-a-cops handling security. They wouldn’t know how to deal with a heckler if their lives depended on it.

Not a meltdown, he just kept it G. He sat until his time was up and got his bread and left. How you gonna heckle him to the point where he can't get through? That was disrespectful.

Back
Top Bottom