NFL Could ban hair flowing out of helmets...

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

I dont understand some of ya'll. They wear HELMETS during a game who cares if they have to cut it, there are more serious things in the world god forbid they cut their dreads a little bit.

wow, you sound like a fool. how is the league gonna tell players what hair style to have or how long their hair should be?

I remember a couple years back alot of you clowns were getting on David Stern on the dress code. And the same people made a Appreciation Post on how the players look, so please.

Stern doesnt tell anybody how to wear their HAIR. that is their body. the league aint private school

Didnt you read what else I wrote? Some employers have rules on how long someones hair can be.

I see no problem with the dreads or hair coming down a couple inches from the back of the helmet. But Polomalu's long hair does look a little bit OD outthere, and I can see where it can become a safety issue. I see it as a problem if they try regulate it for any other reasons besides safety. The players shouldhave be able to wear it how they wish.. But some of you are acting like them having long hair makes them a better player or something.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

I dont understand some of ya'll. They wear HELMETS during a game who cares if they have to cut it, there are more serious things in the world god forbid they cut their dreads a little bit.

wow, you sound like a fool. how is the league gonna tell players what hair style to have or how long their hair should be?

I remember a couple years back alot of you clowns were getting on David Stern on the dress code. And the same people made a Appreciation Post on how the players look, so please.

Stern doesnt tell anybody how to wear their HAIR. that is their body. the league aint private school

Didnt you read what else I wrote? Some employers have rules on how long someones hair can be.

what do those employers have in common with the NBA or NFL? it isn't the same thing at all

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

They wear HELMETS during a game who cares if they have to cut it
Football isn't the only thing that matters.
there are more serious things in the world god forbid they cut their dreads a little bit.
Great logic.

Are you kidding me, seriously? HAIR is THAT serious? Hair? What's wrong with the logic? It's hair. They will still have groupies waiting for them in clubs and outside hotels if they cut their hair.

its their hair, who are you to tell a grown man how to have his hair.

You do know some employers have rules against how long you hair can be, right?

...well what if its a relgious obligation , which could be the case with some players? They should just cut their hair?
grin.gif

ehhh, while i disagree wit it...the men wearing the suits make the rules....so if u gettin paid millions of dollars to do something u gotta play by the rulesset forth before you, i doubt anybody would really have much room to complain if this rule was infact put into place because they could simply go flip burgersand keep their dreads

I don't see the problem with this. Personally, I think it's annoying and I'm an advocate of the decision.

Originally Posted by ChampionHood

indifferent.gif

its their hair, who are you to tell a grown man how to have his hair.
The irony is your baseball team (the yankees) do have a rule on how grown men who play for them have their hair.

Legally speaking if someone owned a sports team, they could require every player to shave their head as long as it didn't conflict with any religiousconstraint and more to the point you could make the legal arguement it's safer. And unless it there was something in the contract or players associationagreement stating otherwise you could be terminated on the spot for refusing... It's simple as that. I'm not saying I personally agree with that, butunless the players association as whole takes issue with it, a single owner could decide they want to make the rule it's just no owner wants to look likebad guy so they want it a league wide thing. Employers are legally allowed to impose dress code and appearance policies as long as it doesnt discriminateagainst a race, religion, etc...

what do those employers have in common with the NBA or NFL? it isn't the same thing at all

What is so different? You work for an organization that is governed by an association who oversees day-to-day activities.

The NBA/NFL is those players employers..Pretty much totally in common.

What is so different? You work for an organization that is governed by an association who oversees day-to-day activities.

what's the difference you say? in those jobs, the employees and customers have regular contact with each other, whether verbally or just visually. in thatcase it's important for them to maintain their image.

last time i checked, football players aren't required to make one-on-one business deals with customers while they're on the field running with a helmeton.

not the same at all.

what's the difference you say? in those jobs, the employees and customers have regular contact with each other, whether verbally or just visually. in that case it's important for them to maintain their image.

last time i checked, football players aren't required to make one-on-one business deals with customers while they're on the field running with a helmet on.

not the same at all.

Last time I checked players in all the league have Media obligations. By the way, what do you think that "NBA Cares" and the NFL players do theBoys and Girls Club obligations, that they have to do CONTRACTUALLY to maintain the associations image.

^^ It makes no difference how you're differentiating it. If I was the CEO of UPS I could require all employees including the people behind the scenes tohave no facial hair because I think it looks more professional, the only exceptions to the right of employers to impose a dress code and/or appearance policiesis that it doesnt discriminate against a race, religion, etc... So by example clearly if part of being Muslim is having a beard (I don't know whether it isor not but thats not the point here) then those people who are muslim if that CEO of UPS who decided to require all employees including the people behind thescenes to have no facial hair because I think it looks more professional would still be allowed to rock their beard. The NFL is no different. The only reasoncompanies or organizations like UPS or the NFL don't to do this already is 2 fold. 1st there is no reason or yet to be a reason, now with their is a reasonNFL about the long hair, but if there was no seen gain by it no one wants to be a jerk, and that goes toward the 2nd reason, that no one wants to look like thejerk who forces employees to do !$%* appearance wise they don't want too. Again with the UPS example I as the CEO (clearly I'm not) could require everywork to wear a 3 peice suit to work, but that would be such insanity on multiple levels it would probably be the detriment of the company.

The only real difference, and its not really a difference because alot of employees have it, is a players union created to protect their interests as a group.i.e. if the players union isn't liking something to that much of a degree they could strike, etc..

Professional athletes are employees of teams just like you or I would be an employee of a company they just usually have more complex contracts and get paid alot more..

Last time I checked players in all the league have Media obligations. By the way, what do you think that "NBA Cares" and the NFL players do the Boys and Girls Club obligations, that they have to do CONTRACTUALLY to maintain the associations image.

okay, so originially this was just a safety issue, but you feel the hair is an image problem? lemme guess, playershave to cut their thuggish locks and look like civilized people instead of barbarians
laugh.gif

nobody makes players cut their hair for the NBA Cares and B&G Club. their main obligations are to avoid being negative role models by getting in trouble oracting inappropriately.

and yes, of course the league CAN make players cut their hair if they wish, but so what? that doesn't mean it's not completely out of line for them todo that, which is the argument here. who decided long hair is a damaging image anyways? you? is that what you think? maybe in private school it is, but like isaid... the NFL is not meant to be private school.

there are organizations that require the length of your hair to be monitored, and the NFL is not one of them. i'm pretty sure the Troy Polumalu's hairwouldn't turn anybody away from watching the NFL.

Last time I checked players in all the league have Media obligations. By the way, what do you think that "NBA Cares" and the NFL players do the Boys and Girls Club obligations, that they have to do CONTRACTUALLY to maintain the associations image.

okay, so originially this was just a safety issue, but you feel the hair is an image problem? lemme guess, players have to cut their thuggish locks and look like civilized people instead of barbarians
laugh.gif

nobody makes players cut their hair for the NBA Cares and B&G Club. their main obligations are to avoid being negative role models by getting in trouble or acting inappropriately.

and yes, of course the league CAN make players cut their hair if they wish, but so what? that doesn't mean it's not completely out of line for them to do that, which is the argument here. who decided long hair is a damaging image anyways? you? is that what you think? maybe in private school it is, but like i said... the NFL is not meant to be private school.

there are organizations that require the length of your hair to be monitored, and the NFL is not one of them. i'm pretty sure the Troy Polumalu's hair wouldn't turn anybody away from watching the NFL.

Son, you brought up IMAGE. You said that NFL/NBA players dont have Employee to Customer interactions, yes they do and it contractual. Regardless if they areon the field or not they are still an employee of the team. Do I think the dreads are an "image problem"? No and I dont care if it was, my money isntat stake. Dont try to play the race card.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

thats such a terrible thing to happen....ive always thought one of the most intimidating things to see on a football feild is a big fast dude with long dreads coming right at you.

Ricky Williams in the Saints FTW!!

laugh.gif
That is so true. Whenever I see a dude with dreads I almost just assume he's a beast a la Stephen Jackson, Marion Barber, the old Ricky Williams,etc.

I don't see the problem with this. Personally, I think it's annoying and I'm an advocate of the decision.
Agree.

These guys work for the NFL. If they NFL has rules, they should abide by them.

Son, you brought up IMAGE. You said that NFL/NBA players dont have Employee to Customer interactions, yes they do and it contractual. Regardless if they are on the field or not they are still an employee of the team. Do I think the dreads are an "image problem"? No and I dont care if it was, my money isnt at stake. Dont try to play the race card.

you were talking about businesses regulating the hair of employees, something they do for their image. and if you really think the NFL should be tellingplayers to cut their hair, then smh... that is going too far

Are you kidding me, seriously? HAIR is THAT serious? Hair? What's wrong with the logic? It's hair. They will still have groupies waiting for them in clubs and outside hotels if they cut their hair.
eyes.gif

You do know some employers have rules against how long you hair can be, right?
Yeah if you'er a cook. My company has more rules than we can count but none for hair, I sit next to a quality assurance guy with long dreads.

i suggest pony tails? but still, SMH at the NFL on deciding how long a player's hair should be...

that's hella lame...let the players worry about their own safety. i haven't heard ANY player complaining about the pain from their hair being pulled.ridiculous

Stupid rule. If it bothered players getting their hair pulled, they'd cut it ( ie.Edge and Ricky)

And I don't see why defensive players with long hair have to conform. They're usually the ones doing the tackling.

And even on interceptions you rarely see the defender getting dragged down by their hair.

Its kinda weird that the Chiefs proposed this rule too because I remember watching that game and thinking they shouldn't have been penalized.

To me when LJ pulled him down by the hair and came back up still holding it looks like his hands were tangled in Polamalu's hair.

And at the same time he looked like he was tryin' to pull his hands up "like my bad, I just had no other option" and that made him look like hewas tugging on it more.

I always thought the refs just threw the flags to calm down the Steeler lb's, because they started getting rowdy.

Even after the play Polamalu just started jumping around like he didn't notice/care and when they interviewed him aftwerward

he was like " Whatever. It happens."

It doesn't help people don't like LJ because of the baby and contract thing I guess.

Back
Top Bottom