NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy how the Broncos fought back to make it a game. If Manning didn't take that big 3rd down sack around 6-7 min(?) which resulted in 4th and 19, I think they may have very well won that game. Defense began getting some 3 and outs for Peyton.

Tough loss but I think our defense played extremely well considering they had to work with a lot of short fields and we were down our primary nickel CB. Mike Adams is looking like a very solid FA signing. Champ is Champ, shut down his side of the field and was spectacular against the run. Despite the fact that they mustered zero pass rush for the vast majority of the game they still managed to play stout and limit the number of points this Atlanta offense showed they could put up last week.

This game was lost in the first quarter. Turnovers kill. The Falcons DBs did a good job of disguising their coverages and that led to Peyton forcing some throws into places he shouldn't have. Penalties were also big momentum killers, we need Kuper back in the worst way. I think there were certain series we should have run the ball more because McGahee was pretty much having his way out there on those draws out of the shotgun.

Looking forward to facing the Texans next week.

Via Adam Schefter twitter:
Free-agent tight end Kellen Winslow is visiting today with the New England Patriots. He passed his physical the last time he visited NE.

Edit:
Via Schefter :
With Aaron Hernandez expected to miss at least one month, with Kellen Winslow having visited NE earlier, Patriots are expected to sign him.

Last edited:
Filed to ESPN: #Patriots agree to one-year contract with TE Kellen Winslow Jr. to fill in for the injured Aaron Hernandez (ankle).

:lol: LeSean McCoy

“During the game, they made like a bad call or something, the ref, and I see Ray Lewis like pump his chest up, trying to scare him,” LeSean McCoy told 94WIP’s Anthony Gargano and Ike Reese on the 94WIP Player’s Lounge on Monday. “Don’t you know [the ref] started stuttering? I’m like ‘what’s this?!’”

The NFL removed one referee this weekend when it was discovered that the replacement official was a New Orleans Saints fan, and had pictures of himself in Saints gear on his Facebook page.

“They’re like fans, kind of though,” McCoy said. “I’ll be honest, they’re like fans. One of the refs was talking about his fantasy team, like ‘McCoy, come on, I need you for my fantasy,’ ahhh, what?!”

Falcons running back Michael Turner celebrated his team’s Monday night win in the Gwinnett County Jail Tuesday morning.

According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Turner was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and speeding early Tuesday morning.

He was booked into jail around 5 a.m., and posted a $2,179 bond about an hour ago, but no other details of the arrest were available.

Refs are a joke, but as others said I don't blame them. It'd be like me being dropped into a CFO spot. Sure I have some knowledge and experience but nothing like the 'big stage' training I would need. Worst part (besides the pace) is that they have zero control of the game. Players getting in fights, coaches on the field, etc. Becoming a more hazardous and dangerous playing field, which goes directly against the whole player safety propaganda Roger is always spewing. Steve Young and others have indicated the NFL is arrogant enough to think it won't affect any monetary measure of popularity. Well I may be just one consumer but I know that isn't true for me (started before all of this honestly). Final point reiterated, Roger Goodell had made the NFL worse. The product has declined. The experience has declined. He has been absolutely terrible since taking over and the NFL thrives in spite of him, not due to him

Gets off soapbox

Side note, with how poorly the NFL has looked it would've been a great time for the NHL to showcase what a fun, fast paced game it is. Nice job Bettman

Last edited:
Looks like the main hang up is the pension. NFL wants to yank the current pension & install a 401k like the rest of the league employees. No use in complaining because this is going to go on for a while...

And the longstanding refs want to be grandfathered into the pension whereas the newly hired refs would fall under the new 401k model.

mr.blank slappin fives on the sidelines...coolesst owner in the league...

Heard the Jags had fake mustache day in honor or Kahn last Sunday. I hope he can turn around that franchise...Fond memories of the Coughlin era - Mark Brunell, Jimmy Smith, Tony Boseli, Keenan McCardell...Fun team to watch...

Busy NFL Tuesday...Mike Turner got arrested for DUI after the game & the Pats signed the soldier extraordinaire to replace Hernandez....

Around the League

Patriots TE Hernandez expected to miss 4-6 weeks

By Marc Sessler

The New England Patriots might be without one of their dangerous pass-catching tight ends for at least a month.

Tight end Aaron Hernandez is expected to miss four to six weeks with a low ankle sprain, NFL Network has learned from a source briefed on the injury.

Hernandez injured the ankle in Sunday's home-opener against the Arizona Cardinals. The team will host free-agent tight end Kellen Winslow for a visit Tuesday, a source told NFL Network, but the Patriots will be hard pressed to duplicate Hernandez's versatility in this offense.

:lol: That McCoy thing, heard that on the radio and couldn't believe it.

Also, what the 1st half of last nights game really 55 minutes :x ? I did feel like the 2nd quarter went a looooong time, but wow

My mistake on that, realized 55 for a half would have been fast as hell after I typed that. The downtime between the scab refs attempting to make the right calls were brutal.

Last edited:
:lol: That McCoy thing, heard that on the radio and couldn't believe it.

Also, what the 1st half of last nights game really 55 minutes :x ? I did feel like the 2nd quarter went a looooong time, but wow

the first half was 1 hour and 50 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom