NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
my point isnt that WRs are worthless , or that when paired with an elite QB arent very valuable

my point is that no WR is exclusively worth $10mil a year and that the QB is WAY more important than the WR . thats why paying a top WR a boatload of money when you have no QB is a huge waste of money . build the rest of the team , and wait until the QB position is figured out . there will be plenty more quality WR around to choose from

Agreed. It's pointless to pay a stud WR a crapload of $$$ and then give him John Skelton at QB. He won't carry you to the promised land.

greg jennings ia a top 10 receiver? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

top 3, son. get familiar :pimp:

:rofl:

greg jennings is a candy ***

love the GIF of browner tossing the dude

prez t prez t your point is pretty spot on IMO. it's not worth spending that type of money on a receiver like that. you can EASILY get by with above average guys in this league. a premier TE has become more valuable IMO...just a matchup nightmare at this point in time for most defenses

Premier tight ends ain't **** either

Tony G has 1 career playoff victory
Gronk was out and pats still got to the afccg two years in a row
Jimmy Graham did nothing in the playoffs
Finely nothing the past few years
Witten hasn't been to the playoffs in years

VD has been good in the last few playoff runs

Great line play and good of amount talent surrounding them wins.

my view is probably too focused on my own team. the patriots with gronk are so much more lethal. it's not surprise that him missing playoff games and the patriots bowing out "early" go hand in hand.

i think gronk and jimmy are probably worth that money ($10M for a TE is probably high, but in terms of top pay for the position). the rest of those TEs i wouldn't consider elite (tony G at this point in his career, obviously). i guess my point is, who would you rather pay top dollar at the position for, gronk or megatron. gronk's injuries cloud it a bit, but if healthy...i'll pay for gronk.

like i said, my view is probably too narrowly based off my own team and how it plays :lol:

On the other hand:

Since 2007, here's the list of top-three/four WRs/TEs on the SB winning team:
Doug Baldwin
Golden Tate
Jermaine Kearse
Percy Harvin
Anquan Boldin
Jacoby Jones
Torrey Smith
Dennis Pitta
Victor Cruz
Mario Manningham
Hakeem Nicks
Greg Jennings
Jordy Nelson
James Jones
Marques Colston
Robert Meachem
Lance Moore
Santonio Holmes
Hines Ward
Nate Washington
Amani Toomer
Plaxico Burress
David Tyree

So yeah... a bunch of decent #1s and veterans... but how many top 5 guys? A handful at best.
Indicates to me that depth at the position > breaking the bank for perceived superstars.  And also that it's very possible to find productive receivers without making huge investments in the position.

On the other hand:

Doug Baldwin

Golden Tate

Jermaine Kearse

Percy Harvin

Anquan Boldin

Jacoby Jones

Torrey Smith

Dennis Pitta

Victor Cruz

Mario Manningham

Hakeem Nicks

Greg Jennings

Jordy Nelson

James Jones

Marques Colston

Robert Meachem

Lance Moore

Santonio Holmes

Hines Ward

Nate Washington

Amani Toomer

Plaxico Burress

David Tyree

So yeah... a bunch of decent #1s and veterans... but how many top 5 guys? A handful at best.

all this list does is tell you to spend alot of money on the defensive side of the ball, because all those teams won because of their defense... for the most part

On the other hand:

Doug Baldwin

Golden Tate

Jermaine Kearse

Percy Harvin

Anquan Boldin

Jacoby Jones

Torrey Smith

Dennis Pitta

Victor Cruz

Mario Manningham

Hakeem Nicks

Greg Jennings

Jordy Nelson

James Jones

Marques Colston

Robert Meachem

Lance Moore

Santonio Holmes

Hines Ward

Nate Washington

Amani Toomer

Plaxico Burress

David Tyree

all this list does is tell you to spend alot of money on the defensive side of the ball, because all those teams won because of their defense... for the most part

The anti-Bill Polian approach.

Saints certainly didn't win mostly because of their defense though. And all these teams had good offenses... Even the Ravens.

Last edited:
The anti-Bill Polian approach.

Saints certainly didn't win mostly because of their defense though. And all these teams had good offenses... Even the Ravens.

yeah but most of those teams were a defensive team, and yes the saints defense was crazy good that year i think they had like plus 11 turnover ratio and that obviously helps set up short fields for the offense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom