NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they get a pass rusher or QB with that pick. I know Watkins is supposed to be great, but top 5 WR is always a questionable move

QB would be good, but that's always a gamble to me as well. If they get the wrong guy then they set themselves back another few years. And even if it's the right guy, is the situation ideal for success?

Raiders fans: How is their O-Line?

Raiders could probably win the AFC East.

maybe if they could strip a ball before the QB's hand starts moving forward....

:nerd:

:nerd:

I am going to hunt you down in the Bay Area :lol:

The OL is in good shape, a QB should feel he has enough time to stand and deliver most of the time. It would have been better to keep Veldheer for LT, but obviously Reggie felt differently about his worth. We'll see if Veldheer proves himself to be a top five LT in the NFC West.

Like others have said, Clowney/Mack/Watkins/trade down, in that order. We're fortunate that we have so many outs in this draft.

Love Sammy. However, I'm big on building defense first, before anything else. Also, without a long-term QB answer or a real viable running game, Sammy would be wasted for a few years. He'll have great plays, sure, but the Raiders won't be optimizing his talent because he won't have help on O.

Clowney or Mack would be ideal, in my opinion. Trading down might work, but it all depends on their gameplan with that and who they're after.

Agree with you on Sammy being under-utilized at first. My fear is that Clowney AND Mack would be off the board at 5. Hell, Sammy might be too and then we draft Bridgewater. Teddy might be a great pro, but I've waivered on him quite a bit.

I'd rather build the team and have a foundation in place for a young QB to step into rather than get the young QB, then build. Our defense was respectable the first half of the year...lack of depth and pass rushers eventually caught up with us.

Trading down could work if Reggie likes Carr and feels he'll be available later in the 1st. Why not acquire more picks...we need the depth and young talent.

It's just going to be very interesting to see if Raider fans are still okay with Shaub and his 11 million dollar salary on the team when he's throwing interceptions and stacking losses.

But.
I hope that it turns out okay.

If they draft Mack they'll begin to impress me.

Last edited:
11M isn't the drain on our salary space that you think it is. We are still in a very healthy position in that sense. And you know that money HAS to be spent, right? It can't just sit there doing nothing.

I get that the money has to be spent but if you're just throwing it out, why not go get DeSean Jackson or Jared Allen. There's a few players that are still good out there. I do like Schaub in Oakland but I feel like it makes more sense to the roll the dice and hope he's cut.

Last edited:
I get that the money has to be spent but if you're just throwing it out, why not go get DeSean Jackson or Jared Allen. There's a few players that are still good out there. I do like Schaub in Oakland but I feel like it makes more sense to the roll the dice and hope he's cut.

The rumor is that it's between Oakland and Seattle for Jared Allen.

So what happens when Allen goes to Seattle? Or Jackson is traded somewhere else? Jackson wants a new contract after this season. We don't need that headache

^U were trolling about going qb in the 2nd too, right??

Nah man.
Just a thought.
Not saying we should or it's smart. But it's a deep QB year, might be smart to grab one at some point and start grooming.

Like I said, we have to address the secondary first. It's a must.

But around round 3 or 4? Why not?

Last edited:

Rumors have us linked to both. *shrugs*

Love Sammy. However, I'm big on building defense first, before anything else. Also, without a long-term QB answer or a real viable running game, Sammy would be wasted for a few years. He'll have great plays, sure, but the Raiders won't be optimizing his talent because he won't have help on O.

Clowney or Mack would be ideal, in my opinion. Trading down might work, but it all depends on their gameplan with that and who they're after.

Agree with you on Sammy being under-utilized at first. My fear is that Clowney AND Mack would be off the board at 5. Hell, Sammy might be too and then we draft Bridgewater. Teddy might be a great pro, but I've waivered on him quite a bit.

I'd rather build the team and have a foundation in place for a young QB to step into rather than get the young QB, then build. Our defense was respectable the first half of the year...lack of depth and pass rushers eventually caught up with us.

Trading down could work if Reggie likes Carr and feels he'll be available later in the 1st. Why not acquire more picks...we need the depth and young talent.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I completely agree with that thought process. If Clowney and Mack are gone, then it would be a tough spot. But I agree that building a foundation first is definitely the way to go. Only exceptions are the Peyton Manning's and Andrew Lucks's. This draft doesn't have that, but they do have what could be very solid pro's. In that case, they can be had later in the draft.

I'm still riding with Teddy. He'll have a definite adjustment period, but he'll get things moving eventually.

Last edited:
As their picks stand I have a hard time seeing Reggie take Jimmy G at the top of the second. They're in it for Carr in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom