NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their hiding Ponders arm though... He hasn't thrown a ball more than 29 yards in the air all season. (per ESPN)

Hes been a lot more accurate this year too.

Chad had a noodle but maybe Christian cant control his deep ball so they're not throwing it.

Their hiding Ponders arm though... He hasn't thrown a ball more than 29 yards in the air all season. (per ESPN)

Hes been a lot more accurate this year too.

Chad had a noodle but maybe Christian cant control his deep ball so they're not throwing it.

Living in ACC land, I've seen a lot of Ponder when he was at FSU...He has a strong arm. I present below as some evidence. I'd also like to reiterate how off base Trent Dilfer is as an analyst. Dude is grade A Oscar The Grouch trash. He cited Ponder as being a scaredy cat in the pocket like Elvis Grbac (ironic isn't it) & saying he will wilt under pressure.

Musgrave is being somewhat conservative with him while putting Ponder in situations he can succeed in. I almost think he's trying to help Ponder not hit the sophomore slump. It also helps having AD back & Harvin playing well (in addition to having a stud LT).

Yea Christian is athletic.

My point was that they are hiding his deep ball and hes been accurate throwing the stuff underneat dat.

Ponder is a far better athlete...but they do have a similar skill-set otherwise. Comparison isn't too far off.

While I def don't believe Ponder's arm is Pennington weak, it's definitely not "Strong" as far as NFL arms go.

And the pass to Rod and Jman were about 45ish yards in the air. The Majority of the FSU offense when Ponder was @ the helm were intermediate to short throws. He was not routinely making or even attempting +25/30 yard throws down field.

Last edited:
Right, don't get me wrong, Pennington had that noodle arm for real.  But Ponder def ain't out there chucking, or even trying to... Even in a dome.

I like Ponder, for the record... Noles.
smokin.gif

Last edited:
While I def don't believe Ponder's arm is Pennington weak, it's definitely not "Strong" as far as NFL arms go.

And the pass to Rod and Jman were about 45ish yards in the air. The Majority of the FSU offense when Ponder was @ the helm were intermediate to short throws. He was not routinely making or even attempting +25/30 yard throws down field.

glaring lack of arm strength doesnt necessarily show up on bombs. a QB can often get set and put everything into it. every NFL QB can get the ball down the field 40 yards as long as its on time.

what Ponder can not do is rifle 35 yard skinny posts on a line past outstretched LB hands nor can he Fire a 7 route between CB & Safety in cover two n can he whip a 5 route off his back foot and get it there before a CB can recover

Last edited:
Ah ok, thanks for the explanation gunna, basically he can't rifle a ball of his back foot, like cutler for example

Umm, what QB in the pros is routinely making 30+ yard throws? When you look at the top ten passing leaders, here is how their average (for the season) yards per attempt shake out.

1. Brady, 7.6
2. P. Manning, 8.0
3. E. Manning, 7.9
4. M. Ryan, 7.4
5. A. Dalton, 8.0
6. D. Brees, 7.3
7. J Flacco, 8.1
8. A. Rodgers, 7.3
9. M Vick, 7.1
10. B. Weeden, 6.6

While Ponder doesn't (6.8, ranked 17th overall) have a canon arm (which is waaaaaay overrated just ask Jeff George, Scott Mitchell, Jamarcus Russell, & Ryan Leaf), Ponder's arm is strong enough. The comparison to Pennington is not accurate.

JPP issues RGIII a warning...I love it...I hate all this back slapping, giving high fives to opposing players. I don't want no bounties either, but I like good ol' fashioned hate your guts football. Looking forward to a good game...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-paul-issues-a-warning-to-robert-griffin-iii/

Jason Pierre-Paul issues a warning to Robert Griffin III
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 18, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

******** quarterback Robert Griffin III had one of the best rushing games of any quarterback in NFL history on Sunday. Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul says that if Griffin thinks he’s going to run well on the Giants this week, he should think again.

Specifically, JPP told RGIII that running toward Pierre-Paul’s side of the field would be a mistake.

“Don’t bring it to my side,” Pierre-Paul said. “Go the other way.”

Pierre-Paul says the Giants’ defense has the athleticism to keep Griffin in check.

“Trust me, we chase quarterbacks all time,” Pierre-Paul said. “We turn and run to the ball, no matter what. He may get past us and zoom right past us, but trust me we’re right behind him. You’ve got to respect that too. It’s not all about the speed. We’ve got guys, all 11 guys that can run to the ball very quick. You’d be surprised. Very surprised.”

Griffin has already surprised a lot of defenses so far in his brief NFL career. We’ll see who’s surprised on Sunday.

I hope our GMEN do work.

we've been known to sleep against garbage teams we are supposed to beat :smh:

See game 1 of this season.

Hope RGIII cooks, just not against NYG

Umm, what QB in the pros is routinely making 30+ yard throws? When you look at the top ten passing leaders, here is how their average (for the season) yards per attempt shake out.
1. Brady, 7.6
2. P. Manning, 8.0
3. E. Manning, 7.9
4. M. Ryan, 7.4
5. A. Dalton, 8.0
6. D. Brees, 7.3
7. J Flacco, 8.1
8. A. Rodgers, 7.3
9. M Vick, 7.1
10. B. Weeden, 6.6
While Ponder doesn't (6.8, ranked 17th overall) have a canon arm (which is waaaaaay overrated just ask Jeff George, Scott Mitchell, Jamarcus Russell, & Ryan Leaf), Ponder's arm is strong enough. The comparison to Pennington is not accurate.

Do you expect to see QB's w/ +15 ypa's? That isn't really the point. Even when Brady threw for 50 TD's and had Randy Moss he didn't have a high super high YPA. Daunte bombing in the Metrodome likely didn't have a high YPA. You're not gonna get that, except for maybe on a video game. That's not really the point.

A cannon arm is definitely not overrated as it allows for QB's to be able to make mistakes and still complete passes and make throws that other QB's can't. Let's not use examples of QB's who had the cannon arm and sucked at everything else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom