NFL Discussion Thread: Pats win SB XLIX. Offseason begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonder why Stephen White skips right over the part where it clearly says "Collins’ offer to meet with detectives on Thursday is turned down." ... as well as "Friday isn’t an option, because Collins’ lawyer must attend to a case in New Orleans." ...

Was Collins lawyer supposed to ask the judge/jury to reschedule the case he had to attend in NO so he could be with Collins & detectives on Friday?

Why would another lawyer go with Collins if that lawyer is not representing him?? Were they supposed to just grab a random guy from the same firm who didn't have a clue about the case??

I could understand if this case was going on for an extended period of time but this popped up out of no where, Jim Boren dealt with Collins for a couple days prior to meeting with detectives. You don't just drop a new client onto a another lawyer for representation after a week. Maybe you send one of your Associates on your team but even then given the severity of this case, you want your top dog with you when speaking to the police, not some young whippersnapper fresh off the BAR Exam or internship.

Surprised Goodell is gonna hear the appeal. He basically puts himself in a lose lose situation by doing so...

- Reduce/eliminate the penalties and you basically destroy Troy Vincent and some of your own credibility since he chose the punishment and you approved it. Not to mention the fans, players, and some owners who will perceive this as you showing the Pats favortism

- Let the penalties stand and you risk Brady/Pats filing a lawsuit and definitely lose Kraft as one of your biggest suppporters when you need all the friends you can get in the owners box.

I would have sent it to an independent Arbitrator and lived with the results.

What is he alluding to in those tweets?

This, I'm reading the tweets confused as hell.

I didn't actually read the piece

And obviously, I can't speak for someone else.. But I'm assuming he's talking about the Friday of rounds 2 and 3.. And one would assume if everything gets cleared up, he would have been drafted that day (as his agent said he would accept and sign with the team)

But just from the lawyer's prospective, given the importance of that weekend for his client, I think everyone would have assumed he would have been at Collins' disposal.. Unless Collins wasn't willing to put that serious retainer out there

Also with the bigger firms you have several people involved in these things.. And if you know you have upcoming court dates that you can't reschedule, then that would be in more of an incentive to bring someone in.. But again, I don't know what Collins was willing to spend (which inevitable, you get what you pay for)

Half a season for wanting your equipment managers to push the deflating limit? :lol:

Are yall serious?

The Chargers were using stickum and got warning and got a small fine but the Patriots get this Draconian punishment :lol:

Last edited:
I thought the 4 games was enough. Deflating footballs ain't that serious and that's why this whole situation is funny to me. As great as the Pats are they felt the need to do something so small then play dumb about it.

Last edited:
Well I blame the league for even putting them in a position to be able to do that..

However, there is a rule in place.. And as i thought it was understood, this all falls on Brady for trying to circumvent that rule on the biggest stage of the game (thus based on that I don't agree on the picks and money, unless there is more to show the involvement of team officials or coaches).. That would/could result in people questioning what was/is happening on the field

The league is extremely heavy handed with people and things that have absolutely nothing to do with what is happening on the field..

This actually has an impact, no matter how big or little we believe they do.. And he was caught doing it in the playoffs

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports it's "highly unlikely" the Seahawks will extend contract-year QB Russell Wilson's deal this year.

Wilson is said to be seeking in excess of $20 million annually on a five-year extension. Per Cole, the Seahawks "have no desire to get anywhere close to that" and are willing to let him play out the final year of his rookie contract and then use the franchise tag back-to-back years through 2017. That would net Wilson around $45-48 million over the next three years. Recent reports have suggested the two sides are "10s of millions" apart in contract talks. Cole's report confirms that.

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Surprised Goodell is gonna hear the appeal. He basically puts himself in a lose lose situation by doing so...

- Reduce/eliminate the penalties and you basically destroy Troy Vincent and some of your own credibility since he chose the punishment and you approved it. Not to mention the fans, players, and some owners who will perceive this as you showing the Pats favortism

- Let the penalties stand and you risk Brady/Pats filing a lawsuit and definitely lose Kraft as one of your biggest suppporters when you need all the friends you can get in the owners box.

I would have sent it to an independent Arbitrator and lived with the results.

I'm thinking that Goodell is banking on Brady and New England keeping this out of court. If Brady didn't want to turn his phone over, there had to have been a reason why. Stating that any texts Brady exchanged with McNally and Jastremski were at Wells' disposal already is just an excuse; we don't have the entire story and if you're innocent, then give the entire story to clear your name. Going into federal court to fight back would mean that maybe Brady is telling the truth if he's willing to turn everything over in discovery.

@SportsCenter: Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell says he has no problem with his punishment for his charge on marijuana possession & DUI. http://t.co/J4FxPm74Cj

Well I have a problem with it!

But glad to see he is accepting it and hopefully will learn and grow from it

yeah the headline was worded funny, i don't think anyone likes it :lol:

definitely don't see him getting suspended again

Does anybody really think Tom Brady was going in the equipment room and measuring and telling them to deflate the balls? :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom